ADVERTISEMENT

Proctor will be a bust

He wasn’t recruited at Alabama, he was drafted. Programs like Alabama and Georgia draft according to their needs. He will go against better athletes in both practice and games than he would have at Iowa. If he is a legitimate NFL prospect, his development will be enhanced.
This post is just stupid, filled with ESPN propaganda. The sec is no better than the big 10

• Haha
Reactions: hawk224 and blhawk
Are you kidding? Georgia and Alabama, no better than the Big 10? Yeah, right.
they aren't hate to break it to you. Or did i miss two big 10 teams in the playoffs and alabama sitting at home?

Or did i miss that 6-6 arkansas team that was "top 20" this year

ALso fun fact, if he plays at one of the schools he can't face em. And before you start BuT WhaT aBouT PrACTice?! Let's check how the Iowa defense is ranked.

But no keep feeding that ESPN BS that the SEC is light years ahead of the big 10

Here's the deal: Shotputting is a VERY form intensive event, about as complex as high jumping in terms of things that can go wrong. The local HS had an absolute Ox that threw 50. Big and a weight room warrior. His form is what kept him from throws of 58-60. Never got the feet switch down. All due respect but I'm sure Proctor is plenty strong for the position. He will do fine.
Was he a glider like the first man to throw a 16 lb ball over 70 ft, Randy Matson, or a modern-day spinner like Ryan Crouser, 74 ft?

Even in HS, 12lb shot, both techniques are extremely "form" dependent, on how to generate explosive power, at close to 60 ft and above to be considered accomplished.

Each translates well to off-the-line run blocking initial contact, but, being an accomplished heavy-weight wrestler speaks more to a man's ability to be quick on his feet, maintain his balance and continue fighting for the advantage if not control of the other man. Starting at 6-6, 320 lb, accomplished shot put/discus AND heavyweight wrestler, with longer arms, the sweet spot of O-Line recruiting. This is the type of kid you develop into a 1st Rnd draft pick at Tackle. Shorter arm guys, slightly shorter in height but just as heavy, go to the interior.

The technique needed to deal with speed edge rushers is not typically something any kid comes to college doing, this is taught and developed, and honed against DEs and DT and blitzing LBs with elite skills. It will be the make-or-break for KP at Alabama as a Tackle, or he will slide inside to Gaurd and either settle there or compete his way back to the outside (at IntL, he'd be a bit of a bust for a 5 Start top 20 recruit). We will see. At Iowa, he would get more attention and more opportunity to learn and grow these critical skills early in his career as an OT, Iowa would invest more in his development into a skilled Tackle (which will be more of a sink-or-swim proposition at Bahama). I wish him all the best.

Last edited:
they aren't hate to break it to you. Or did i miss two big 10 teams in the playoffs and alabama sitting at home?

ALso fun fact, if he plays at one of the schools he can't face em. And before you start BuT WhaT aBouT PrACTice?! Let's check how the Iowa defense is ranked.

But no keep feeding that ESPN BS that the SEC is light years ahead of the big 10
The drop off after the top teams in the B10 is larger than just about every other P5 conference. Mich & OSU are legit imo.

I know this is going to come off as sour grapes and sounds like a crazy theory, but hear me out. Kadyn Proctor is going to be a bust because his PR in the shot put is only 52 feet. That's pretty pathetic for someone who is supposedly one of the top athletes in the country. Someone with his size and strength should be throwing at least in the high 50s even with terrible technique. It really makes me question how athletic and explosive he actually is. For comparison, Brandon Scherff threw 61 feet and Tristan Wirfs threw 66 feet. Still don't buy into my theory? Check out this page which shows a correlation between being a good shot put/discus thrower with being an elite offensive lineman.
I know I am tuning in late here, but I don't know if Proctor will be a bust, however a Tristan Wirf's he will never be. I don't say that with sour grapes in my mouth, but from all the things I have ever heard Wirf's say versus things I have heard Proctor say, Wirfs is humble and seems to be the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back, while Proctor seems to be about Proctor. Maybe not, I could be wrong, but I followed them both throughout their recruiting time on Twitter, and there is a distinct difference on things the two have said. I wish Kadyn well, but I personally think his reason to go to Bama was not to play against people who are better, but MONEY, plain and simple. Just my opinion for the little of what it's Wirf. (Huh, see what I did there? LOL)

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I know I am tuning in late here, but I don't know if Proctor will be a bust, however a Tristan Wirf's he will never be. I don't say that with sour grapes in my mouth, but from all the things I have ever heard Wirf's say versus things I have heard Proctor say, Wirfs is humble and seems to be the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back, while Proctor seems to be about Proctor. Maybe not, I could be wrong, but I followed them both throughout their recruiting time on Twitter, and there is a distinct difference on things the two have said. I wish Kadyn well, but I personally think his reason to go to Bama was not to play against people who are better, but MONEY, plain and simple. Just my opinion for the little of what it's Wirf. (Huh, see what I did there? LOL)
Can we put this to bed yet? It hurts like Hell to lose Proctor. And did he and his family handle the situation horribly? Yes. However, I don't think anyone on this board really knows the exact situation or what kind of kid Proctor is vs Wirfs. We all love Wirfs because he became a Hawk and put his head down and played his ass off. At the moment most on here hate Proctor for doing the exact opposite. I get it. What we don't know is truly what kind of kid he is and will he be successful. You don't get rated the number 1 tackle in the country by being a bum. The kid is a beast. I'm not going to assassinate his character because he didn't go to Iowa. It's childish to keep bashing on the kid. And because he went to Bama doesn't mean he's all about himself.

You are the one who said light years but cmon man.... Between them dominating as far national championships the last 15 or so years and and having the most guys drafted in the NFL by a good bit or teams at the top of the recruiting rankings it's not even up for debate.

Nobody is saying the bten is shit, it's just not the SEC even if a bten team wins it all this year (would be first time since '14 and only second time in 21 seasons). To say there's no difference is just delusional

You are the one who said light years but cmon man.... Between them dominating as far national championships the last 15 or so years and and having the most guys drafted in the NFL by a good bit or teams at the top of the recruiting rankings it's not even up for debate.

Nobody is saying the bten is shit, it's just not the SEC even if a bten team wins it all this year (would be first time since '14 and only second time in 21 seasons). To say there's no difference is just delusional
The number of players drafted from the SEC vs the Big1G isn't even close. It's crazy the d line talent on all teams in the SEC.

Wish the youngster nothing but the best , my near worthless 2cent opinion is that Ferentz seems to be a great choice for coach with his nfl success with famous pro lineman, then subsequently starting an nfl pipeline at U of I .
Seems that the salesman and flash cash won out over a proven track record, IMO

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Agree he shouldn’t have committed, but regardless doesn’t excuse low lifers harassing him and his family. We have a lot more toxicity in the state and fans base than we are willing to admit, sad but true !
We don’t hold a candle to the fire that is the Alabama fan base. They just get away with it because they win. Alabama had a fan poison trees, Trees!

Can we put this to bed yet? It hurts like Hell to lose Proctor. And did he and his family handle the situation horribly? Yes. However, I don't think anyone on this board really knows the exact situation or what kind of kid Proctor is vs Wirfs. We all love Wirfs because he became a Hawk and put his head down and played his ass off. At the moment most on here hate Proctor for doing the exact opposite. I get it. What we don't know is truly what kind of kid he is and will he be successful. You don't get rated the number 1 tackle in the country by being a bum. The kid is a beast. I'm not going to assassinate his character because he didn't go to Iowa. It's childish to keep bashing on the kid. And because he went to Bama doesn't mean he's all about himself.
I don't hate Proctor and I am not bashing the kid, I was merely stating what I have seen written from he and WIrf's in the past. So, let that be as it may, however repeating what someone reads is not bashing someone. LOL And stating that I thought he choose Bama over Iowa because of money was just my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BCRoss89
Wish the youngster nothing but the best , my near worthless 2cent opinion is that Ferentz seems to be a great choice for coach with his nfl success with famous pro lineman, then subsequently starting an nfl pipeline at U of I .
Seems that the salesman and flash cash won out over a proven track record, IMO
Bama doesn't have a track record of putting players in the pros?

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
Agreed. None of us have a clue as to how successful he will be, and personally I guess I no longer have a vested interest. My only beef was related to some of his comments after committing to Bama and I thought he probably should have said he was reopening his recruitment prior to the Oregon trip, but he's a 17 yo kid and maybe they weren't well thought out or intended as they came off.

Let's just move on with the guys that are / will be on the Iowa roster...

Reactions: littlez
I'm a SEP fan so have watched most of his games. I've always wondered if he's as good as his rating, or if that's a product of his phenomenal size and pretty good agility. I'd focus on him several times/game and while he usually kept his player away from the ball, he did get beat off the edge a few times. What bothered me was I never had my attention drawn to him by a crazy standout play. I also observed what NCHawkeye mentioned about him just disposing of opponents with his hands; it accomplished the goal I guess but not a ton of steamrolling like you'd expect. Pretty graceful for his size on the basketball court, but not much vertical. I think wrestling is much better prep for linemen. Maybe he'll become an All-American...will be interesting to see his career unfold. As an aside, I thought it was comical when he mentioned (in Chad Leistikow's article) one of the Alabama draws was their medical team; don't think you could do better than U of I.
That one cracked me. So stupid.

Best of luck to KP. I hope he does well and is able to help people with the money he makes / earns.

Medical staff at iowa is world renowned. No nothing about the Alabama med facility.
Jimmy Andrews is what Alabama is promoting. While Iowa may have an excellent medical system, they do not have the notoriety in Sports Medicine. Unfortunately, notoriety sells. Take a look at the article, especially the list at the bottom.

While they may have equally good surgeons, and Andrews is 80 (does very little surgery now), this is what is sold to the players.

I can't get the link to work. But if you search Bleacher Report Dr. James Andrews: The Athlete's Surgeon you will find it.

From the article, players that have been treated by Dr. Andrews: ARTICLE from 2009
Notable Patients Treated By Dr. James Andrews (courtesy of ESPN)

Football players

• Bo Jackson: shoulder, 1984; hip, 1992
• Doug Williams: knee, 1988
• Bruce Smith: knees, 1990 and 1991
• Troy Aikman: elbow and shoulder, 1991
• Michael Irvin: shoulder, 1994
• Emmitt Smith: shoulder, 1994
• Trent Green: knee, 1999 and 2001
• Chad Pennington: shoulder, 2005 (twice)
• Deuce McAllister: knee, 2005
• Daunte Culpepper: knee, 2005 and 2006
• Takeo Spikes: achilles tendon, 2005
• Donovin Darius: ACL, 2005; shoulder, 2006
• Drew Brees: shoulder, 2006
• Byron Leftwich: ankle, 2006
Donovan McNabb: knee, 2006
• Matt Hasselbeck: shoulder, 2007
• Joey Porter: knee, 2007
• Kenny Irons: knee, 2007
• Isaiah Kacyvenski: knee, 2007
• D.J. Shockley: knee, 2007

Baseball players
• Roger Clemens: 1985, shoulder, 1985
• David Wells: 1985, elbow, 1985
• Jimmy Key: elbow, 1988; shoulder, 1994, 1995
• Jose Rijo: elbow, 1995; five more elbow ops, 1996-2003
• Steve Karsay: elbow, 1995; shoulder, 2003
• Kerry Wood: elbow, 1999
• John Smoltz: elbow, 2000 and 2003
• Carl Pavano: elbow, 2001 and 2006
• Jon Lieber: elbow, 2002
• A.J. Burnett : elbow, 2003
• Andy Pettitte: elbow, 2004
• Gary Sheffield: shoulder, 2004
• Jim Thome: elbow, 2005
• Mark Prior: shoulder, 2007
• Anibal Sanchez: shoulder, 2007
• Freddie Garcia: shoulder, 2007
• Chris Ray: elbow, 2007

Basketball players
• Charles Barkley: shoulder, 1990
• Michael Jordan: shoulder (therapy, not surgery), 1994
• Penny Hardaway: knee, 1996
• Randy Livingston: knee, 1996
• Scottie Pippen: elbow, 2001
• Allen Iverson: elbow, 2001
• Aaron McKie: shoulder, 2001
• Chris Webber: knee, 2003
• Shaun Livingston: knee, 2007

Golfers
• Jack Nicklaus: knee, 1984
• Jerry Pate: shoulders, 1985, 1986, 2003, 2006
• Mark McCumber: shoulder, 1996

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u and WSC72
Jimmy Andrews is what Alabama is promoting. While Iowa may have an excellent medical system, they do not have the notoriety in Sports Medicine. Unfortunately, notoriety sells. Take a look at the article, especially the list at the bottom.

While they may have equally good surgeons, and Andrews is 80 (does very little surgery now), this is what is sold to the players.

I can't get the link to work. But if you search Bleacher Report Dr. James Andrews: The Athlete's Surgeon you will find it.

From the article, players that have been treated by Dr. Andrews: ARTICLE from 2009

Football players

Baseball players

Basketball players

Golfers
Interesting but looks like the glory days are aging for them. Iowa ortho is phenomenal.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkness Monster
Here's the deal: Shotputting is a VERY form intensive event, about as complex as high jumping in terms of things that can go wrong. The local HS had an absolute Ox that threw 50. Big and a weight room warrior. His form is what kept him from throws of 58-60. Never got the feet switch down. All due respect but I'm sure Proctor is plenty strong for the position. He will do fine.
What character issues has Proctor had so far? The answer is none.

I know this is going to come off as sour grapes and sounds like a crazy theory, but hear me out. Kadyn Proctor is going to be a bust because his PR in the shot put is only 52 feet. That's pretty pathetic for someone who is supposedly one of the top athletes in the country. Someone with his size and strength should be throwing at least in the high 50s even with terrible technique. It really makes me question how athletic and explosive he actually is. For comparison, Brandon Scherff threw 61 feet and Tristan Wirfs threw 66 feet. Still don't buy into my theory? Check out this page which shows a correlation between being a good shot put/discus thrower with being an elite offensive lineman.
A lot of this is going to depend on who his coach is and how much time he put into learning technique. I spent 4 years as a weights coach and my biggest and strongest guys weren't necessarily my best throwers. Technique in rotational shot is a huge huge part of success.

Arkansas?? Where did that come from? Michigan is the only Big Ten team that plays with the same degree of physicality up front that Georgia and Alabama do. FYI Georgia and Alabama are 10-5 vs Michigan and OSU. I would like nothing better than OSU to beat Georgia and play Michigan (assuming the Wolverines handle TCU) for the national championship and I want KState led by Waterloo native Chris Klieman to beat the Tide. BTW Proctor will be challenged in practice to perform because the guy behind him in the depth chart will be a good recruit as well. I don’t think the backup linemen at Iowa would be much of a threat.

BTW Proctor will be challenged in practice to perform because the guy behind him in the depth chart will be a good recruit as well. I don’t think the backup linemen at Iowa would be much of a threat.
Kinda glad he went to Alabama if he needs to be motivated to be the best beyond just, idk, being the best.

Reactions: HungryHawk

Football players

Baseball players

Basketball players

Golfers
If Alabama is really selling recruits on an 80 year old surgeon as a reason to go to Bama, I’ve got a bridge to sell them.

Doesn’t really matter what your past accolades are at that point. As someone with experience in ortho and having worked with surgeons >75 years old, your shelf life is quite limited at that age and it becomes borderline dangerous to operate.

I don’t know the exact stats for this off the top of my head, but I’d guess if you looked at the proportion of 4 and 5 stars that make it to the NFL, it’s much higher at Iowa than at Alabama.
My Raiders drafted poorly with SEC busts … Leatherwood , McClain and Jamarcus all in round 1 .
Given the NFL pipeline for OL under Ferentz would be a bonanza for some lucky nfl GM to draft a Ferentz tutelage vs flashy salesman Saban who probably set a record for nfl busts !

Arkansas?? Where did that come from? Michigan is the only Big Ten team that plays with the same degree of physicality up front that Georgia and Alabama do. FYI Georgia and Alabama are 10-5 vs Michigan and OSU. I would like nothing better than OSU to beat Georgia and play Michigan (assuming the Wolverines handle TCU) for the national championship and I want KState led by Waterloo native Chris Klieman to beat the Tide. BTW Proctor will be challenged in practice to perform because the guy behind him in the depth chart will be a good recruit as well. I don’t think the backup linemen at Iowa would be much of a threat.
Keep spewing that espn bs. All of this is tired and old and not based in reality.

And yeah the backup makes the starter better. Lol talk about pulling it from your tail.

One day you'll graduate third grade and admit the world is not what you're spoon fed.

Last edited:

Football players

Baseball players

Basketball players

Golfers
Laughably stupid

Keep spewing that espn bs. All of this is tired and old and not based in reality.

And yeah the backup makes the starter better. Lol talk about pulling it from your tail.

One day you'll graduate third grade and admit the world is not what you're spoon fed.
Never underestimate the value of a 3rd grade education especially when, in your case, you haven’t achieved that yet.

Laughably stupid
Yes it is. But that is how humans behave. Most are lemmings. That is why companies pay athletes/actors to sponsor their product and why docs advertise that they are the team physicians. Those sponsorships have no relevance to how good the product is but they know it works.

Def growing pains. Wouldnt surprise me though that Saban thought Kadyn's talent would beat out coaching. Now it looks like he might be lacking in it.

Bump. 3 games into his career, Proctor is looking slow and lacking explosiveness.
Ha5.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT