ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of these kids…

Aleksei

Team MVP
Dec 26, 2019
I’m sure the players and the coaches are more upset about tonight’s loss than any of us.
But, this team deserves a lot of credit for what they’ve accomplished this year. And the year isn’t near over yet… They lost 4 key players from last year, and they still ended up 5th in one of the toughest leagues in the nation, when everyone picked them to finish 10th. They lost 4 games this year by a total of 13 points that if they had won, they’d win the big ten. They lost by only 2 points on the road tonight to arguably the best team in the league despite missing so many FT’s, terrible officiating, and not having one of their starters in Patrick. Key players are emerging in Kris, Payton and Tony for the rest of the year and next year. Yes, this was a tough, heartbreaking loss, but let’s move on and cheer these kids on, and hope for a great B1G tourney and an elite 8 or a final 4 appearance!. Go Hawks!

Amen. People need to step back from the ledge about last night. First of all, if you can remember a game at Illinois when the officiating was not terrible, then you have a short memory. You should have expected that going in. Second, if Iowa just makes free throws, they still win the game. Shots weren't falling and Iowa only lost by two at Illinois. Third, this game has very little impact on Iowa's ability to make an NCAA run, maybe getting to the Sweet 16 for the first time in more than two decades. Barring an upset against a bad Nebraska or Northwestern on Thursday, Iowa will still be at least a 7 seed. Win a quarterfinal against Rutgers, and Iowa will be a 6 seed. If you look at KenPom, there is less difference in net efficiency between #14 Iowa and #2 Arizona than there is between #2 Arizona and #1 Gonzaga. Iowa's good day is good enough to beat anyone besides Gonzaga and Iowa's average day is good enough to keep them in the game against anyone and give them a chance. And the officiating in the NCAA tends to call things tighter than the B1G, which I think will only help Iowa. I think the players on this team are the right type of people to bounce back from this and continue playing at a high level going forward, so I'm good just letting this one go and looking forward to the possibility of a good run in the B1G tourney (would be nice) and in the NCAA (would be great).

I've been critical of this team and Fran in particular but I am very proud of them. The turnaround this season was amazing, especially in the defensive and rebounding categories. Illinois is a terrible matchup for us with Kofi getting to do anything he wants on both ends of the court, and their really solid backcourt.

To be within a bucket on the road, and in control most of the game shows us how good this Iowa team can be. Just keep it up, (and make your FTs) and it could be a special end to the season.

This team is such an anomaly in Frans career:
Early season, patsy schedule "toughness" came back.
D got better.
Rebounding got better.
Athletic.
Hot going into March.

Really, really proud of this team. Illinois is a really bad matchup for us and we had an open shot at the end to win. We beat teams on the road that I predicted we would lose to. Someone posted we played 4 teams on their senior nites, won 3. Very proud to be a Hawkeye basketball fan.

1st half = most fun I've had watching a Iowa men's basketball team offense work around the basket, in a hostile environment, since the '87 team. Fran is in the zone. Perkins a nice surprise. Hope we have many more games this month to enjoy this.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
I’m sure the players and the coaches are more upset about tonight’s loss than any of us.
But, this team deserves a lot of credit for what they’ve accomplished this year. And the year isn’t near over yet… They lost 4 key players from last year, and they still ended up 5th in one of the toughest leagues in the nation, when everyone picked them to finish 10th. They lost 4 games this year by a total of 13 points that if they had won, they’d win the big ten. They lost by only 2 points on the road tonight to arguably the best team in the league despite missing so many FT’s, terrible officiating, and not having one of their starters in Patrick. Key players are emerging in Kris, Payton and Tony for the rest of the year and next year. Yes, this was a tough, heartbreaking loss, but let’s move on and cheer these kids on, and hope for a great B1G tourney and an elite 8 or a final 4 appearance!. Go Hawks!
There are no moral victory's in College Basketball. I am excited about this team and hope they go far but "they only lost by two points" is something I should never see or hear. Sorry.

Reactions: 24 so far
There are no moral victory's in College Basketball. I am excited about this team and hope they go far but "they only lost by two points" is something I should never see or hear. Sorry.
moral victory is a huge topic in psychology, including in sports, wars, and other fields. its unfortunate that you don’t believe in it.

Reactions: perryhawk
Off-topic, but OP's picture thumbnail makes me think it's a dog's butthole every time I see it.
If this is one of those word association picture things they do for a psych examine, I shudder to think what this would mean for you. LMAO

moral victory is a huge topic in psychology, including in sports, wars, and other fields. its unfortunate that you don’t believe in it.
Aliens and UFO's are topics too. That doesn't mean that they exist.

Aliens and UFO's are topics too. That doesn't mean that they exist.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT