ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Pryce Sandfort commits to Iowa***

Yeah, Jbo was lucky to ever get a 3 off...
Wieskamp was great bro. If he was back this year he would have been as unstoppable as Keegan was. I don't even want to think about the what ifs for this year's team with Wiesy
Joe W was great! JBo was great! Both most likely had better careers than Pryce or Peyton will.

They just didn't have a high/quick release on their jumpers. It's a not a criticism!

But, being able to quickly get off a jumper in traffic is an attribute. That's all. It was great to see Peyton get off jumpers in a crowd before the defender even knew he was going to shoot.

Geesh!

Joe W was great! JBo was great! Both most likely had better careers than Pryce or Peyton will.

They just didn't have a high/quick release on their jumpers. It's a not a criticism!

But, being able to quickly get off a jumper in traffic is an attribute. That's all. It was great to see Peyton get off jumpers in a crowd before the defender even knew he was going to shoot.

Geesh!
Jordan Bohannon has a very quick release. I cannot recall him ever being blocked on a 3-pt shot, can you? He also shot with a high arc. To say his release is low and not quick is ridiculous.

And saying that Weezy's release is low? You are making a laughingstock of yourself. Stop now. Not trying to be mean here, but you are digging a hole for yourself.

Jordan Bohannon has a very quick release. I cannot recall him ever being blocked on a 3-pt shot, can you? He also shot with a high arc. To say his release is low and not quick is ridiculous.
I don't necessarily recall JBo getting blocked on a 3-pointer, but I do recall MANY times where he could not get a clean shot off over a taller defender, so he either had to pass it off, or toss up a desperation off-balance shot.

Reactions: Bee93
I don't necessarily recall JBo getting blocked on a 3-pointer, but I do recall MANY times where he could not get a clean shot off over a taller defender, so he either had to pass it off, or toss up a desperation off-balance shot.

Sure, but not because his release was slow. He was a fairly short, and relatively unathletic player. The fact that he made so many contested threes sort of proves his release was quick.

Cordell Pemsl
Dale Jones
Alex Thompson
Brennan Cougill

I think that would be about it.
Cougill, a Lick recruit, went to Kirkwood for a year because of academics and newly hired Fran wisely didn’t bring him back when he was eligible.

And saying that Weezy's release is low? You are making a laughingstock of yourself. Stop now. Not trying to be mean here, but you are digging a hole for yourself.
JBO loaded up his shot from his waist. The ball left his hands at a comparative low point. He didn't elevate and shoot the ball from over his head. He couldn't get a shot off with a defender in his face. He had to have some space to get it off, which is why he shot (and made) so many many deep jumpers. Nothing wrong with that. Even the fabulous game winner against Indiana he had to have a lot of space to release the ball.

Joe W's jumper was similar. The ball starts low and it wasn't easy for him to get off a good shot when closely defended. He would "gather" himself to shoot and then the shot would start from his forehead.

Peyton's jumper is a quicker release. The ball his high in his hands when he releases it and shoots very quickly. It's not superior, just different and nice tool to have for a player.

Digging a hole? You make this sound like I'm bashing them, or saying they were "slow" to shoot. I'M NOT.

We're talking milliseconds here. It was just a compliment about Pryce and Peyton. It was something I saw that I liked. But a quick release doesn't make them better players!

EDIT - I never said JBo didn't have a quick release - he didn't have a "high/quick" release.

JBO loaded up his shot from his waist. The ball left his hands at a comparative low point. He didn't elevate and shoot the ball from over his head. He couldn't get a shot off with a defender in his face. He had to have some space to get it off, which is why he shot (and made) so many many deep jumpers. Nothing wrong with that. Even the fabulous game winner against Indiana he had to have a lot of space to release the ball.

Joe W's jumper was similar. The ball starts low and it wasn't easy for him to get off a good shot when closely defended. He would "gather" himself to shoot and then the shot would start from his forehead.

Peyton's jumper is a quicker release. The ball his high in his hands when he releases it and shoots very quickly. It's not superior, just different and nice tool to have for a player.

Digging a hole? You make this sound like I'm bashing them, or saying they were "slow" to shoot. I'M NOT.

We're talking milliseconds here. It was just a compliment about Pryce and Peyton. It was something I saw that I liked. But a quick release doesn't make them better players!

EDIT - I never said JBo didn't have a quick release - he didn't have a "high/quick" release.
You are just wrong in your description of both Jordan and Joe's jumpshot. You should really look at some game film.

iowa-guard-joe-wieskamp-puts-up-a-three-point-shot-during-a-big-ten-picture-id1195582088

images

mpf65voobbbof8bgoa0q

images

images

images

Last edited:
You are just wrong in your description of both Jordan and Joe's jumpshot. You should really look at some game film.

iowa-guard-joe-wieskamp-puts-up-a-three-point-shot-during-a-big-ten-picture-id1195582088

images

mpf65voobbbof8bgoa0q

images

images

images

Jordan and Joe shot from their forehead when they on their jumpers. Most great shooters do!

My comment was never intended to be about JBo or Joe. I shouldn't have even mentioned their names. It was about Payton and his brother. Their shots look a lot like this. High extension in the arms BEFORE the ball is released. It is less common for pure shooters.

FVUjLp_XoAAuAiB

iowa-forward-payton-sandfort-its-up-a-threepoint-shot-during-a-game-picture-id1238717416

Jordan and Joe shot from their forehead when they on their jumpers. Most great shooters do!

My comment was never intended to be about JBo or Joe. I shouldn't have even mentioned their names. It was about Payton and his brother. Their shots look a lot like this. High extension in the arms BEFORE the ball is released. It is less common for pure shooters.

FVUjLp_XoAAuAiB

iowa-forward-payton-sandfort-its-up-a-threepoint-shot-during-a-game-picture-id1238717416
I agree - their release point and speed might be the fastest in the B1G once Pryce gets here. They take catch-and-shoot to a new level of fast.

🙂

I agree - their release point and speed might be the fastest in the B1G once Pryce gets here. They take catch-and-shoot to a new level of fast.

🙂
That's what I was trying to say - badly. If Payton is 6-9 now, the way he elevates, holds the ball high and releases it quick, he'll almost always be able to get off a decent shot.

I want him to have the ball at the end of the shot clock.

That's what I was trying to say - badly. If Payton is 6-9 now, the way he elevates, holds the ball high and releases it quick, he'll almost always be able to get off a decent shot.

I want him to have the ball at the end of the shot clock.
Especially the way he moves off-the-ball. He only needs a second to get the shot off. Iowa will have at least 2 players like that for 2 years starting in the 2023 season.

Now find a picture of them loading their jump shot. That’ll be the difference, and the point he is trying to make.
These are what are available. They dribble or move without the ball, bring the ball up, and shoot. Most players dribble below their waist.

Especially the way he moves off-the-ball. He only needs a second to get the shot off. Iowa will have at least 2 players like that for 2 years starting in the 2023 season.
And if PMac can increase his % on those goofy running one-handers, he could be an option as well,

I'm saying he has the size and the moves to be able to at least get off a shot against tough D in the last few seconds of the clock. But, it doesn't matter unless it goes in say, at least 40% of the time.

Reactions: BBHawk
Most players cannot get their jumpers off over a taller player. Jordan's release was so quick that was rarely a problem. Cannot really complain about the shooting form, which was text book, of the best 3 point shooter in school and Big Ten history.

Thompson still had something left in his career when he went "home" to Ames. Cordell was a true Hawk, so a loss from that perspective when he left seeking a clean start to escape his injury Karma. BC wasn't a BIG level athlete
Dale Jones and Alex Thompson (a douche bag and glad to see him go) never shot a free throw at Iowa. Dale had the terrible injuries and Thompson just sucked. Cordell, a Big Heart Hawkeye was a loss but he had a bunch of young up and comers ahead of him so I can see his point.

Ironically, Brennan Cougill was the biggest loss when he left-of that group above. The post was pretty empty in Fran's first couple seasons. Using the 6'9" 265 pounder in the low post, with good coaching, would have kept the BromArch on the bench.

Watching Cougill playing 25 feet from the basket is an unforgettable example of the Lick era at Iowa. Don't use the really big kid, who had some good low post moves, near the basket. McC would probably have found the better use. BC would have upgraded the C position significantly.

Reactions: amahawk
Dale Jones and Alex Thompson (a douche bag and glad to see him go) never shot a free throw at Iowa. Dale had the terrible injuries and Thompson just sucked. Cordell, a Big Heart Hawkeye was a loss but he had a bunch of young up and comers ahead of him so I can see his point.

Ironically, Brennan Cougill was the biggest loss when he left-of that group above. The post was pretty empty in Fran's first couple seasons. Using the 6'9" 265 pounder in the low post, with good coaching, would have kept the BromArch on the bench.

Watching Cougill playing 25 feet from the basket is an unforgettable example of the Lick era at Iowa. Don't use the really big kid, who had some good low post moves, near the basket. McC would probably have found the better use. BC would have upgraded the C position significantly.
Maybe when Lick was here, but Cougill isn't the kind of BIG that Fran wants to use. He wants long, mobile stretch 4 and 5's. Luka was kind of both, the low post pounder who could shoot the three, but guys more like Nunge, Estrella, Freeman, possibly even Mulvey.

Maybe when Lick was here, but Cougill isn't the kind of BIG that Fran wants to use. He wants long, mobile stretch 4 and 5's. Luka was kind of both, the low post pounder who could shoot the three, but guys more like Nunge, Estrella, Freeman, possibly even Mulvey.
Cougs shot .360 from three as a freshman and .538 from two. He was exactly the kind of post that Fran likes.

Also, everything is relative, which was kind of my point. Would you rather see Brommer or Archie out there instead? Neither could score beyond lay ups and dunks. Brennan was never going to be a really good player but he had size and scoring skills that no other player on those first two McC teams had.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Cougs shot .360 from three as a freshman and .538 from two. He was exactly the kind of post that Fran likes.

Also, everything is relative, which was kind of my point. Would you rather see Brommer or Archie out there instead? Neither could score beyond lay ups and dunks. Brennan was never going to be a really good player but he had size and scoring skills that no other player on those first two McC teams had.
Cougill was horribly out of shape his career at Iowa and at JC. From what I remember, McC wasn't willing to risk it for 2 years of Cougill.

Reactions: kceasthawk

True, in an ENTIRELY different type of offense! In Lick's offense where we scored 40 some points a game, and ran things to slow the games down like KF football. Him running the floor in Fran's offense would have been a completely different situation, and I think you can see that.....And from how limited a sample size? How many three's did BC shoot at Iowa?

Cougill was horribly out of shape his career at Iowa and at JC. From what I remember, McC wasn't willing to risk it for 2 years of Cougill.
I don't know about that but he would have been ineligible during Fran's first semester. I think the better coaching administration could have helped the kid get in shape. We'll never know but I think Big Brennan would have been far better than Brommer and Archie.

True, in an ENTIRELY different type of offense! In Lick's offense where we scored 40 some points a game, and ran things to slow the games down like KF football. Him running the floor in Fran's offense would have been a completely different situation, and I think you can see that.....And from how limited a sample size? How many three's did BC shoot at Iowa?

Fifty. Shot even better his first season at Green Bay his first season. His 3 ptr dropped catastrophically the last year at Green Bay.

Brommer tripped over the lines on the court, so speed didn't really matter.

Say what?
I looked again and hate to say, misread those tiny columns. Alex Thompson actually shot 29 free throws at Iowa, made 14 for a % of .492. Dale Jones was a big loss to injury. Dale did not shoot any FTs at Iowa but was .825 in his season with South Dakota.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT