ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: Starship's 4th Integrated Test Flight tentatively June 6

Catching the ISS is badass. We can see it from where I'm at, but depending on the moon phase/sun, time of day and light pollution, it's honestly a hit or miss and usually comes down to blind luck unless you plan for it.

If you really want to see a launch, then just come down for a week. They're launching them like crazy, 4 a month or so. Certain ones are better of course, depending on the payload, launch system, humans, nightime, etc. But they're all worth to watch at least once in your lifetime if you're into that kinda nerdy cool scene.

The previous launch a few days ago, I taught the neighbors grandkids how you're supposed to do the countdown, and explained it explicitly, but of course as kids, counted "down" 1-2-3...". I fixed em right, and when it went off, they shouted "321 Blast Off" like we did when I was their age. They jumped around when it lifted off and when the rumbles hit, it was a bit of some nostalgia feels fur shure.
I seriously would probably do the exact same thing.

Just watched another Starlink Falcon lift off, it was one of the cooler one's I've seen. There was a hazy cloud cover, mid atmosphere, and when the rocket flew through, it blew it outward into a circelike ring that followed it up until it turned SE. Lit the night sky up like sunrise.
cchzoVN_d.webp

This was the following night for the heavy, that had 2 of the boosters return back to the pad and shook my nuts.

5df0boW_d.webp

Have another going off tonight around midnight for a Luxembourg communication satellite.

Reactions: noleclone2
Update on the FAA issue and Musk’s relationship.

Shortly thereafter, Musk said he expected to fly the rocket again in about eight weeks. He said so again in June. Now, four months since the launch attempt, the company is still working to regain its launch license from the Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates commercial spaceflight in the US. Last week, SpaceX submitted a final report on the incident to the agency, which will need to approve its conclusions; then, SpaceX will need to take corrective actions and have its launch license modified to reflect them.

“SpaceX must submit updated information before its license can be modified or more flights added,” an FAA spokesperson told Quartz. “The update must include corrective actions identified in the mishap investigation report and any other changes material to public health and safety and the safety of property. The FAA will evaluate the new material and ensure it complies with all regulatory requirements prior to modifying the license to authorize future launch operations.”

“Nonetheless, the US Coast Guard has issued a warning to mariners that rocket launches could take place off the coast of Boca Chica as soon as Aug. 31. While such notifications are routine and don’t guarantee a launch will take place, the announcement suggests SpaceX is confident it can win over the agency in the next 10 days. (SpaceX did not respond to a request for comment.)”

Gonna watch this one tonight. This will be SpaceX's 2nd launch in 2 days and the 3rd in a week.

Additionally, a fourth launch will be a crew of 4 astronauts planned for Fri. For the crewed launch, the astronauts are from USA, Russia, Denmark, and Japan and will be heading to the ISS for a 6 month mission.

Reactions: noleclone2
Weird how I'd mentioned "6 months" a few times in this thread....

And...here we are!!!
Yep - I had predicted not until next year based on FAA issues due to human health and environmental impacts, which is in fact holding things up. My job is dealing with environmental impacts from clients to state and federal regulatory agencies. Nothing goes fast. We shall see but 78 days left until next year. Which probably is not bad because it gives more time to tweak design and pad. Which was my whole point, that was a pretty bad fail when you factor what happened to the pad. There is no way it made sense to rush to another launch. This thing is a monster. Going to take time. Maybe not Tesla Truck type time, but some length of time regardless. It was very obvious unless you are a Musk fanboy. Two to three months was ridiculous. Much more rational is a 6-12 month window but saying this was admitting the test was not this super successful event it was portrayed as. Also ridiculous was Musk saying beginning in early May they were 4-6 weeks away. He finally stopped making that statement in early July.

Last edited:
Yep - I had predicted not until next year based on FAA issues due to human health and environmental impacts, which is in fact holding things up. My job is dealing with environmental impacts from clients to state and federal regulatory agencies. Nothing goes fast. We shall see but 78 days left until next year. Which probably is not bad because it gives more time to tweak design and pad. Which was my whole point, that was a pretty bad fail when you factor what happened to the pad. There is no way it made sense to rush to another launch. This thing is a monster. Going to take time. Maybe not Tesla Truck type time, but some length of time regardless. It was very obvious unless you are a Musk fanboy. Two to three months was ridiculous. Much more rational bureaucratic is a 6-12 month window but saying this was admitting the test was not this super successful event it was portrayed as. Also ridiculous was Musk saying beginning in early May they were 4-6 weeks away. He finally stopped making that statement in early July.
FTFY

One of the more amusing anecdotes out of A-10s over Kosovo :

Daily sustainability issues were initially challenging. We had no Air Force infrastructure to support us. Our spares packages were sparse, and any parts coming into country via premium transportation (Federal Express and DHL Worldwide Express) were subject to Italian customs inspectors. This worked well Monday through Friday, but we had no customs support over the weekend or on Italian holidays. This became frustrating when a part hit the airport on a Friday afternoon and we knew we wouldn’t see it before Monday afternoon when the delivery would be made. This was the single biggest issue that we were not able to resolve during the conflict. We learned to live with it but didn’t like it because it was often the one part we needed to return a jet to mission-capable status.

Come on FAA get your shit together.
Anyone ever play Ghost and Goblins to the end, beat the boss and then see this screen:

6YRPq6a.png

Then it started you over to play the whole game again...

In an interview last month, Kelvin Coleman, FAA associate administrator for commercial space transportation, who leads AST, said he expected the FAA would close out its review of actions SpaceX must take from the previous Starship launch related to public safety by late October. That will be a key milestone towards updating the launch license.

However, he noted then that the license will also depend on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s review of the environmental effects of changes to the launch pad, including a water deluge system intended to minimize the damage from the first launch. While Coleman said he hoped that would be concluded “somewhere in proximity” to the safety review, a Fish and Wildlife Service spokesperson said last month that it could take up to 135 days to perform that assessment.

However, he noted then that the license will also depend on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s review of the environmental effects of changes to the launch pad, including a water deluge system intended to minimize the damage from the first launch. While Coleman said he hoped that would be concluded “somewhere in proximity” to the safety review, a Fish and Wildlife Service spokesperson said last month that it could take up to 135 days to perform that assessment.

If SpaceX did it right the first time, they wouldn't be dealing with this.

But they did. They cut corners and created massive environmental damage to nearby areas.
You in favor of starting the Cuyahoga river on fire, again?

gettyimages-515303088.jpg

If SpaceX hadn't f***ed up in the first place, they wouldn't need a review, would they?

And maybe SpaceX hasn't provided clear info to the FAA to make a fast decision. They cut corners before, so it's reasonable to assume they will continue to do so.

Yep, that’s Elon, getting the gang ready.

Clearly, they did not when they took the shortcuts on that first launch.

Despite being warned about it.

Meh, fail fast agile approach. It was a test flight.

As someone has already explained to you they have different levels of risk tolerance depending on the mission.

This is an experimental platform. They made over 1000 changes improvements from Flight 1 to Flight 2 from everything they learned.

Maybe you don’t understand or agree with the approach. So what? No one asked for your opinion.

And destroy the environment doing it.

Hyperbole.

Despite being warned your system wasn't capable of holding up to the rockets.

He predicted it would fail.

If they'd spent the extra time and $$ designing it right the first time, they:

1. Would not have failed

Speculation.

1. Would already have probably launched another rocket.

Not if the FAA chooses to be slow as molasses.

You aren’t very good at this. Just try to enjoy humanity’s ground breaking events and not be a dick.

WTAF are you babbling about, now?

Areas surrounding the launch were impacted with debris from the launch. Sensitive environments that are protected by federal laws.

Google that if you need more info.

Ie. “destroyed.” So you are right and that wasn’t hyperbole.

hahahahahahahaha

Yes.
Go read about it. They are still working to clean those areas up.

And SpaceX isn't paying for that liability, which THEY SHOULD BE.

This is precisely the path to more Superfund cleanups. And more of YOUR tax dollars paying for it, subsidizing damage cause by Musk and his companies.

Dude it is a rocket launch site. Are you this feverishly manic about NASA launch sites too? No? Piss off.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT