ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: Starship's 4th Integrated Test Flight tentatively June 6

Meanwhile, each SLS engine is costing nearly 150 million dollars and they don't get reused either.

Oof

There are a lot of things one could buy in the aerospace industry for $146 million. One might, for example, buy at least six RD-180 engines from Russia. These engines have more than twice the thrust of a space shuttle main engine. Or, one might go to United Launch Alliance's Rocket Builder website and purchase two basic Atlas V rocket launches. You could buy three "flight-proven" Falcon 9 launches. One might even buy a Falcon Heavy launch, which has two-thirds the lift capacity of the Space Launch System at one-twentieth the price, and you'd still have enough money left over to buy several hundred actual Ferrari sports cars.

Or, again, you could buy a single, expendable rocket engine.

So WHAT!! A few weeks longer than three months. My point stands and you are a Moran, Joe

Just a quick question? Is space exploration good or bad?
Space exploration is vital to this society continuing to develop and thrive. It has brought more technological achievements than anything we have done in the last century. It will bring more, including advances in nuclear fusion, energy production, and resource discovery and development. If the United States fails its responsibilities to lead the world in this regard, the Chinese will demonstrate to us what a terrible mistake that was.

And P.F. Is correct. It will be a unifying force for humanity. Always has been.

The answers to Van Allen’s questions are, in order: Yes, No, and No.

The debate among scientists, engineers and physicists regarding human crewed exploration versus robots is silly. It is NOT a zero sum question. The fact is our space exploration efforts- whether they be government, private, or a combination- should rely on BOTH, for a myriad of reasons.

The answers to Van Allen’s questions are, in order: Yes, No, and No.

The debate among scientists, engineers and physicists regarding human crewed exploration versus robots is silly. It is NOT a zero sum question. The fact is our space exploration efforts- whether they be government, private, or a combination- should rely on BOTH, for a myriad of reasons.
I think Dr. Van Allen regarded MANNED space flight as "frivolous". Unmanned space exploration will always be necessary to the advancement of the human condition.

JMO.

I think Dr. Van Allen regarded MANNED space flight as "frivolous". Unmanned space exploration will always be necessary to the advancement of the human condition.

JMO.
You are correct, he did. Similar to several other well known scientists. He, and they, are incorrect. Human crewed space flight, in combination with robotic exploration, are both necessary. As Apollo 11 demonstrated, nothing can replace human subjective judgments and ingenuity in certain circumstances. In other instances, machines are safer, more economical, and sufficient. Why both camps in this debate keep shooting at each other is mind-boggling to me. Robotic and human crewed flight are dependent and supportive of each other.

Only 1000+?

SpaceX Starship to Relaunch in About 6 Weeks, with 1000+ Changes​

Only 1000+?

SpaceX Starship to Relaunch in About 6 Weeks, with 1000+ Changes​

Weird.....so at LEAST 4 months then....

Interpret it however you wish. I think the 3 months estimate was a hell of a lot closer to reality than the “this setback will take years!!” camp.
To be fair, those estimates were based on the FAA providing clearance for the next launch more than Starship's ability to have another rocket and launch pad ready. Something they have taken a long time to do in the past. Something that also could be sped up when there are private financial interests at stake, evidently.

Weird.....so at LEAST 4 months then....
Jesus, Joe! Why do you have such a bug up your ass about this? A 4 month turnaround given the circumstances is remarkable! 12 weeks, 16 weeks, max nix! Course, since you appear to have the scientific and aerospace engineering knowledge of a doorknob, I guess your film-flammery is understandable.

It's not 3 months, is it?

At BEST it's now 4+.

Which could easily stretch into 5 or 6 (which is what most people told you 2 months ago)
Dude, you have some interesting insights across a number of topics. But your message gets diluted because of your constant need to be right and your constant need for those you disagree with to be wrong.

You don’t have to dunk on every post or try to defend every position ad nauseam. It’s not enjoyable and it turns away those you might otherwise persuade.

So, was I "right" that 3 months was a "pipe dream" here?
No, you weren’t right. The fact of the matter is the extent of the pad damage, the redesign necessary, and the FAA investigation required Musk (and others, like me) to extend the timeline somewhat. Unlike you, who would never change your mind about any damn thing (just so you can scream, “I’m always right”, which in actuality- you seldom are) regardless of changing facts and circumstances.

No, you weren’t right. The fact of the matter is the extent of the pad damage, the redesign necessary, and the FAA investigation required Musk (and others, like me) to extend the timeline somewhat.

LMAO!!!!

"It'll be less than 3 months....Except for these other things they gotta fix"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT