ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: Starship's 5th Integrated Test Flight tentatively August 10-12

Part of why Musk and SpaceX have been so successful is that they are not afraid to fail. Fail fast, learn from it, try again and do better. This is how we got to the point where first stage rockets deliver their payload and safely land on the ground or on a barge. They didn't nail that process from the start.

Pretty much every time he's had a rocket explode, people chuckle about it as if SpaceX is some kind of failure because of this. They would only be a failure if they gave up.

disappointed that the rocket exploded, definitely would’ve wanted to see it succeed. i have a question after watching the entire video from start to explosion. As the rocket takes off and ascends i can hear cheering people on the audio and controls chatter which all fits what’s on the screen. but when rocket explodes all the people sound like they are clapping and celebrating. i was like wtf. unless those people thought the explosion was the separation stage happening per plan. is there any other explanation?

disappointed that the rocket exploded, definitely would’ve wanted to see it succeed. i have a question after watching the entire video from start to explosion. As the rocket takes off and ascends i can hear cheering people on the audio and controls chatter which all fits what’s on the screen. but when rocket explodes all the people sound like they are clapping and celebrating. i was like wtf. unless those people thought the explosion was the separation stage happening per plan. is there any other explanation?

They all knew that there was a decent chance that something would go wrong and that the goal was to make the attempt and learn from failure.

Because failure is an option SpaceX can do stuff like land rockets on a boat

As usual, many things can be true at once, but folks who have picked a side will not admit that.

Facts:

• This spacecraft blowing up after launch wasn't necessarily a "failure" although it is likely the engineers and others would have preferred it to perform perfectly. That is not a super reasonable expectation in such a complex and difficult mission, though.

• Tesla earnings lost 20% year-over-year, mostly due to supply chain issues, but there is obviously also a likely negative impact of Elon Musk's increasingly polarizing behavior, statements and actions.

• Elon Musk has turned Twitter into a money-losing, even worse user experience hell hole than it already was.

He can start with stop being a RW 🤡

Hey I'm all for that but I'm still going to pull for the success of SpaceX. I honestly don't think Musk suddenly became a right-wing zealot. The winds will eventually shift, as will his political leanings, and the sides will flip flop on their support for him again.

Have we as a nation become so polarized that we can't support success coming from anybody who votes differently than us? Rhetorical question of course.

Let me put it this way. If Tucker Carlson somehow created a cure for cancer or discovered the secret to cold fusion, I would support his work/results even though I think he's a POS in general.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
They all knew that there was a decent chance that something would go wrong and that the goal was to make the attempt and learn from failure.

Because failure is an option SpaceX can do stuff like land rockets on a boat

Cool pic

26751237322_22dc7de0f4_k-980x653.jpg

The Falcon 9 rocket sliced a dazzling arc through the early morning Florida sky on Friday.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
As usual, many things can be true at once, but folks who have picked a side will not admit that.

Facts:

• This spacecraft blowing up after launch wasn't necessarily a "failure" although it is likely the engineers and others would have preferred it to perform perfectly. That is not a super reasonable expectation in such a complex and difficult mission, though.

Fair

• Tesla earnings lost 20% year-over-year, mostly due to supply chain issues, but there is obviously also a likely negative impact of Elon Musk's increasingly polarizing behavior, statements and actions.

Debatable what impact Musk has on auto sales. Record setting Q1 deliveries, post Twitter takeover. Q1 is typically the weakest auto Q and is the shortest quarter of the year.

Elon Musk has turned Twitter into a money-losing, even worse user experience hell hole than it already was.

This simply isn’t true. If you really believe this you must not use Twitter and heard it from a media competitor repeated ad nauseum.

• Haha
Success was clearing the tower. Everything after that was gravy. It's almost like many people only watched the explosion on Twitter without reading or listening to any of the people that actually work at SpaceX.
Sweet it's 1960 now!!

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Do scientific facts make your brain bleed?

“Musk knows full well no human is going to Mars in his lifetime.”

This is not a fact. I thought you were a doctor and a scientist? Angry highly emotional fragile child underneath a thin veneer of sanity. Good grief. If Elon Musk’s existence troubles you so much seriously talk to someone. Hope we don’t see you on the news some day doing something horrible.

Fair

Debatable what impact Musk has on auto sales. Record setting Q1 deliveries, post Twitter takeover. Q1 is typically the weakest auto Q and is the shortest quarter of the year.

This simply isn’t true. If you really believe this you must not use Twitter and heard it from a media competitor repeated ad nauseum.
I use it every single day for my job.

In fact, yesterday I had a Zoom meeting with two ex-Twitter guys that have started their own business and fled because they knew where the platform was heading. One of them was one of their top online ad sales guys. It's even worse there than you think.

Sweet it's 1960 now!!
Sometimes when you drink the Flavor Aid, you can see or do no wrong. Fact is, even if the dick rocket had worked, it would require _years_ to make it human rated. And more decades for a viable strategy to emerge to send astronauts safely to _any_ planet including Mars. The furthest human flight has been to the moon and even that doesn't even come close to the Von Karman orbital injection perigree you'd need to make it to Mars. Ya know, on the quick.

Anyone in science knows this is a beautiful grift. Hell, I'd even somewhat give the guy earlier who said this carries a bigger payload. Ok. However, there are more efficient LEO rockets that carry more massive payload that are cheaper. Case in point is Ariane space and its injection of the James Webb Telescope.

People, many of them, are mostly dumb. Some on here like to fellate Elon. That's their choice. None of that changes the laws of physics. It will be an accomplishment to see Artemis 2 get to the moon with people on it.

Elon knows his bread is buttered by the US government either through his dragon capsule or falcon 9 heavy which launches larger spy satellites. That has taken pressure off the Delta series of launchers the US govt used to launch from Vandenberg AFB.

Stacked engine rockets like this one, see for example the soviet N1, have a central weakness in that if some engines don't simultatenously ignite or shut down too quickly, the thrust becomes grossly asymmetric. Predictable results follow. You can see this in part of the video by Space X.

This will never be a reliable system. Hell even Putin fanboys know that. I'm excited for the next explosion of the dick rocket.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
I use it every single day for my job.

In fact, yesterday I had a Zoom meeting with two ex-Twitter guys that have started their own business and fled because they knew where the platform was heading. One of them was one of their top online ad sales guys. It's even worse there than you think.

Disgruntled ex-employees talk bad about former company that was subject to a hostile takeover and the owner that fired them? Didn’t see that coming.

This pedestrian moron from Iowa (some guy named James Van Allen) said manned spaceflight was ultimately unnecessary. Wow, what an idiot. That dude knows _nothing_ about space. Total loser, not a genius like Ha-Lon.

Disgruntled ex-employees talk bad about former company that was subject to a hostile takeover and the owner that fired them? Didn’t see that coming.
They aren't disgruntled, more like amused. And they left prior to Musk even taking over, so it wasn't like they have anything personal against him.

All you have to do is log on and see how shitty the user experience is now. There is an unsolicited, cheesy ad from China for every 5 or so legit Tweets. Oh, and even if you "block" them, a few days later, the same shitty promoted ad comes from the same Chinese account. It's a joke.

I know you are a cult member, but everyone knows Twitter has massively devolved under Musk's watch.

It sounds like Elon's metrics to measure success are very similar to Kimmie's.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
They aren't disgruntled, more like amused. And they left prior to Musk even taking over, so it wasn't like they have anything personal against him.

Yeah, sure.

All you have to do is log on and see how shitty the user experience is now. There is an unsolicited, cheesy ad from China for every 5 or so legit Tweets. Oh, and even if you "block" them, a few days later, the same shitty promoted ad comes from the same Chinese account. It's a joke.

This is not my experience.

I know you are a cult member, but everyone knows Twitter has massively devolved under Musk's watch.

“Everyone knows” sounds an awful lot like “Many people are saying it” You are better than this torbee.

NEWS: The The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) issued the following statement about @SpaceX's Starship test flight today:

“Congratulations to the SpaceX team on today’s test flight of Starship from Starbase, Texas. This flight is an important milestone and much will be learned from the engineering data. With Starship, SpaceX is taking bold steps that are helping us accelerate the future of humans living and working off our planet. Flight tests and taking risks will lead to this future.

We are excited to see commercial space launch companies pushing the industry forward toward the moon and Mars. Pushing boundaries leads to success."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT