ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Wrestler & Olympic Qualifier Aaron Brooks Tested Positive for a PED

• Thread starter anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
  • Start date
Doctors love to prescribe medications.
It's almost like they get a little kick back and guarantee themselves a return patient.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic (my sarcasm meter breaks from time to time) but Drs absolutely get paid by pharmaceutical companies for meds they prescribe. In CA a fairly new law requires that patients be notified that their Dr is receiving said compensation. The patient signs a forms indicating they were made aware of that fact. My daughter has a fairly severe auto-immune disorder and my wife is/was battling cancer. My wife and I sign these forms more often than I want to think about. There's no bones about it, prescription drugs are a multi faceted money making scheme.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic (my sarcasm meter breaks from time to time) but Drs absolutely get paid by pharmaceutical companies for meds they prescribe. In CA a fairly new law requires that patients be notified that their Dr is receiving said compensation. The patient signs a forms indicating they were made aware of that fact. My daughter has a fairly severe auto-immune disorder and my wife is/was battling cancer. My wife and I sign these forms more often than I want to think about. There's no bones about it, prescription drugs are a multi faceted money making scheme.
Wait, wut? Absolutely untrue. They might be getting a speaking fee, or get a free lunch to listen to a rep, or doing some paid research and have to report any compensation they get from the pharmaceutical companies, but they absolutely do not get paid for meds they prescribe. They could own the dispensary for certain drugs that take a lot of paperwork, where they provide the drug (like a pharmacy) and get paid like a pharmacy,and ethically have to reveal any conflict of interest, but they do not get paid by pharmaceutical companies for prescribing drugs. Patient can go anywhere to fill the prescription.

Reactions: Urohawk
Wait, wut? Absolutely untrue. They might be getting a speaking fee, or get a free lunch to listen to a rep, or doing some paid research and have to report any compensation they get from the pharmaceutical companies, but they absolutely do not get paid for meds they prescribe. They could own the dispensary for certain drugs that take a lot of paperwork, where they provide the drug (like a pharmacy) and get paid like a pharmacy,and ethically have to reveal any conflict of interest, but they do not get paid by pharmaceutical companies for prescribing drugs. Patient can go anywhere to fill the prescription.
Not sure if you are misunderstanding that when I say pharmaceutical companies I’m certainly not referring to the pharmacists at a CVS or Walgreens. That’s ridiculous. I’m talking about Big Pharma. They ABSOLUTELY pay doctors to prescribe patients their drugs. Assembly Bill 1278 (effective Jan 2023) legally requires CA physicians to disclose to patients in writing any financial interactions/ compensations that occur between physicians and drug companies. They have to disclose if they were ever paid at a medical conference or even if they own stock in the companies. I know this because I sign this form about every 2-3 months unfortunately and receive a copy. I copied the AB# right from the copy of my signed form.

what planet do you live on?

Not sure if you are misunderstanding that when I say pharmaceutical companies I’m certainly not referring to the pharmacists at a CVS or Walgreens. That’s ridiculous. I’m talking about Big Pharma. They ABSOLUTELY pay doctors to prescribe patients their drugs. Assembly Bill 1278 (effective Jan 2023) legally requires CA physicians to disclose to patients in writing any financial interactions/ compensations that occur between physicians and drug companies. They have to disclose if they were ever paid at a medical conference or even if they own stock in the companies. I know this because I sign this form about every 2-3 months unfortunately and receive a copy. I copied the AB# right from the copy of my signed form.
They are not allowed to pay doctors to prescribe drugs. It is unethical and not legal.

• Haha
Reactions: so cal hawkfan
This does not mean that big pharm pays doctors to prescribe drugs.

Reactions: drunkengoat
This does not mean that big pharm pays doctors to prescribe drugs.
Oh for sh*ts sake, I just referenced a form that I signed indicating that I understand that my daughter’s doctor has received financial compensation by the company that manufactures the drug that he prescribes her. The CA law went into effect when an LA county resident received treatment where a medical device she had surgically implanted at her at the recommendation of her doctor caused her to become disfigured and suffered chronic pain. She later learned that her doctor received about a half million dollars in compensation from the company that manufactures the device. A CA congress person lobbied for a law requiring patients be notified if and when their doctors receive any payments from pharmaceutical companies, medical equipment manufacturing companies etc. I wish I wasn’t in the position to have learned about all of this (I’d rather just geek out on wrestling), but I unfortunately I am.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic (my sarcasm meter breaks from time to time) but Drs absolutely get paid by pharmaceutical companies for meds they prescribe.
Your comment is 100% false. Drs. do not get paid by pharmaceutical companies to prescribe drugs. Medications have to undergo extensive research and clinical trials etc. prior to when they first come to market. This research and clinical trials is not done by elves... Drs. are a part of these clinical trials and are compensated for it (remember, the product has not necessarily come to market yet, but in some cases it is available for one condition, but research is done to see if it also works for another disease. Beta Blockers for high blood pressure had been around a long time, but decades later, research was done on their effectiveness in heart failure (albeit in much smaller doses). Also, Drs, that have done the research etc. or are experts in the field, for a particular condition are often paid to speak and provide educational lectures etc. regarding the data and clinical experience. They are compensated for this. A Dr. providing full disclosure that they have been paid by a company for research, educational talks, or as a consultant is NOT being paid to prescribe a drug. Being paid to prescribe a drug is not only unethical but it is actually against the law.

C
Your comment is 100% false. Drs. do not get paid by pharmaceutical companies to prescribe drugs. Medications have to undergo extensive research and clinical trials etc. prior to when they first come to market. This research and clinical trials is not done by elves... Drs. are a part of these clinical trials and are compensated for it (remember, the product has not necessarily come to market yet, but in some cases it is available for one condition, but research is done to see if it also works for another disease. Beta Blockers for high blood pressure had been around a long time, but decades later, research was done on their effectiveness in heart failure (albeit in much smaller doses). Also, Drs, that have done the research etc. or are experts in the field, for a particular condition are often paid to speak and provide educational lectures etc. regarding the data and clinical experience. They are compensated for this. A Dr. providing full disclosure that they have been paid by a company for research, educational talks, or as a consultant is NOT being paid to prescribe a drug. Being paid to prescribe a drug is not only unethical but it is actually against the law.
Correct. Nice job.

C
Correct. Nice job.

Thank you for the total explanation.

So you're implying that some doctors don't get "kick backs" for using a brand of drug from a drug rep? That is 100% false!

Oh for sh*ts sake, I just referenced a form that I signed indicating that I understand that my daughter’s doctor has received financial compensation by the company that manufactures the drug that he prescribes her. The CA law went into effect when an LA county resident received treatment where a medical device she had surgically implanted at her at the recommendation of her doctor caused her to become disfigured and suffered chronic pain. She later learned that her doctor received about a half million dollars in compensation from the company that manufactures the device. A CA congress person lobbied for a law requiring patients be notified if and when their doctors receive any payments from pharmaceutical companies, medical equipment manufacturing companies etc. I wish I wasn’t in the position to have learned about all of this (I’d rather just geek out on wrestling), but I unfortunately I am.
It’s not unusual for a doctor to go to CME meetings to give a talk about the drug, usually something new or cutting edge. They disclose this before they start their talk, and you know the talk is sponsored by the company. They are not getting paid so much per pill when prescribing something unless it’s an illegal under the table deal. Most drugs prescribed by average primary care providers are older generic medications.

That does not mean the doctor gets paid to prescribe drugs - that means the doctor is a paid speaker/presenter for the drug company. Typical those are the doctors that are "early adopters" of the drug, use it regularly and see its value for their patient population. It does not mean the drug company pays the doctor to write prescriptions

Reactions: vhsalum
I think you are all referencing the way things are supposed to be done. Some may also make the assumption that everyone is ethical and follows the law. I don't care what oath they may have taken or what rules they are supposed to follow, to assume improper actions to benefit one person or a company are not happening is simply pure naivety.

"They ABSOLUTELY pay doctors to prescribe patients their drugs."So you're implying that some doctors don't get "kick backs" for using a brand of drug from a drug rep? That is 100% false!"

So now you are trying to walk it back...

And,
FatWoodchuck said:
"So you're implying that some doctors don't get "kick backs" for using a brand of drug from a drug rep? That is 100% false!"

Quit being ridiculous and making a leap into what NOBODY said. Nobody said a doctor never took a kickback, or a bribe etc. It is extremely rare because most are ethical, and if caught they get prosecuted with severe consequences. So I am still 100% correct despite your knee jerk reaction reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trapper85
I think you are all referencing the way things are supposed to be done. Some may also make the assumption that everyone is ethical and follows the law. I don't care what oath they may have taken or what rules they are supposed to follow, to assume improper actions to benefit one person or a company are not happening is simply pure naivety.
If people's default settings were ethics and honesty we wouldn't need these rules. Look at the issues with Oxy for example. My old family doctor ran a pill mill. He was a good doc, but went to jail for a long time. And the money does influence care.

What is your point? If you're saying the patient's insurance formulary (or medicaid or medicare formulary) and out of pocket co-pay cost drives that decision, you are correct. If you think it is so Drs. can make money by prescribing one drug over another to earn money you are 100% wrong. Money does drive medical decisions, actual $ cost vs benefit, compared to a cheaper less expensive alternative such as PT and time, likelihood of success vs an expensive surgery etc. And yes, a lot of surgeons want to do surgeries b/c that is what they do (and how they make money) but often times Drs. will tell the patient let's try these things first and see if we can achieve the desired result without surgery.. $$ really drives medical decisions in the UK because of the rationing of care and the constant weighing of if the patient is worth the expense, such as bypass for a 75 year old, early cancer screenings and treatments (some are more expensive, and not utilized, even though the success rate may be higher, even though the odds are not great. In the UK cancer survival rates are lower...

What is your point? If you're saying the patient's insurance formulary (or medicaid or medicare formulary) and out of pocket co-pay cost drives that decision, you are correct. If you think it is so Drs. can make money by prescribing one drug over another to earn money you are 100% wrong. Money does drive medical decisions, actual $ cost vs benefit, compared to a cheaper less expensive alternative such as PT and time, likelihood of success vs an expensive surgery etc. And yes, a lot of surgeons want to do surgeries b/c that is what they do (and how they make money) but often times Drs. will tell the patient let's try these things first and see if we can achieve the desired result without surgery.. $$ really drives medical decisions in the UK because of the rationing of care and the constant weighing of if the patient is worth the expense, such as bypass for a 75 year old, early cancer screenings and treatments (some are more expensive, and not utilized, even though the success rate may be higher, even though the odds are not great. In the UK cancer survival rates are lower...
I haven't gotten a chance to really dive in and do good research, but I've read some articles on the amount of money oncologist make off chemo. If what I have read is true, they make a nice chunk of change off of it.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Did I say that? Nope. I'm saying in general the system is geared towards extracting as much money as possible, not a particular drug.

I can tell you stories, but most docs now are employees of larger hospital/care groups and there is little room for more individual care. It's designed for the churn, or as some say, everyone gets a taste.

The explanations are long, but I'm more like T8KUDWN and use as little medicine as necessary and it working. Last time I tore a knee meniscus I went to my chiropractor and he outlined some exercises for me. Two months later I made an appointment with a new family doctor. I went for the knee because after 2 months of therapy on my own my new insurance policy was active and I wanted an x ray. At the visit he took my BP and it was elevated, 145-150/95-100.

When he suggested meds I looked at him like he was retarded and asked him if he forgot why I was there. He was confused so |said my knee. He was still confused and asked me so? I said the so is I couldn't walk 10,000 steps a day, lift weights, and spent 2 months eating chips, having some extra beers. He then told me to come back in 2 weeks to get it checked. 130/81 , I was back on my exercise program. The next visit was 123/71 which is around my regular. Top number 105-130 usually, to 60-80. Depending on stress, time of day, what I are and drank.

It's all about the numbers. Don't get me started on my knee surgery or my falling in my gym. People are lazy and play into the disease care system. We do not have health care system so I take care of myself and at 60 I'm doing just fine.

I haven't gotten a chance to really dive in and do good research, but I've read some articles on the amount of money oncologist make off chemo. If what I have read is true, they make a nice chunk of change off of it.
They are reading you the party line, the system is incestuous and Drs., patients and drug companies are all to blame. Mostly patients, if people just stopped smoking our costs plummet. If they did 10% of what Jack Lalanne did it would drop further.

I lifted weights as a teen and a morbidly obese doc told me it was dangerous. I was 18, app 135 lbs with abs and was a Pa. state champ in powerlifting. I had a resting pulse rate of 41 at my exam. He was shocked and I got my digs in by saying I take short periods to get some cardio in while I lift.

The system is a joke, but the punchline is the general population and lack of them taking care of themselves.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
They are reading you the party line, the system is incestuous and Drs., patients and drug companies are all to blame. Mostly patients, if people just stopped smoking our costs plummet. If they did 10% of what Jack Lalanne did it would drop further.

I lifted weights as a teen and a morbidly obese doc told me it was dangerous. I was 18, app 135 lbs with abs and was a Pa. state champ in powerlifting. I had a resting pulse rate of 41 at my exam. He was shocked and I got my digs in by saying I take short periods to get some cardio in while I lift.

The system is a joke, but the punchline is the general population and lack of them taking care of themselves.
You are 100% correct! Terrible how the majority of the people do not take care of themselves. Actually, a pretty sad deal.

No he did not. You should watch the interview. Interesting things were said!

He most definitely mentioned Adderall in the Basch interview. And yes, I watched it in its entirety. Of course, I could have missed any mention of Vyvanse.

If you can point me to a verified source or Aaron mentioning Vyvanse (time in video), I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does others' views of old Vodka posts show as @anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb's (original) but Vodka's wherever posted?

Just curious

He most definitely mentioned Adderall in the Basch interview. And yes, I watched it in its entirety. Of course, I could have missed any mention of Vyvanse.

If you can point me to a verified source or Aaron mentioning Vyvanse (time in video), I'd appreciate it.
He mentioned Vyvanse right about the time he was trashing Taylor without using his name. Right before he called Gilman an honorable man and the one Brooks is most happy for.

I drive my own medical decisions. Educate yourself (with facts, not internet gossip) about your own darn medical care. Not too hard really.
Over my lifetime I've seen the MSM medical establishment be very wrong about many things. If you wait for them, your life has passed you by. You need a solid knowledge base to evaluate what is good info vs bad, and how it applies to you. My weight training advice differs per person due to their particular needs and abilities.

But I've done what you say and it's worked out well for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT