ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Wrestler & Olympic Qualifier Aaron Brooks Tested Positive for a PED

• Thread starter anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
  • Start date
While this maybe true, it was still poor form to tie them click-bait style to AB based on half-truths in the way you titled the thread.
Yeah, well he is nuts. His concerns aren’t concerning to him. He tied Brooks to his strawman and ran wild. And ended up looking ridiculous. As always.

PED usage and attempts to minimize and eliminate it have been going on my whole life. It’s nothing new, he just wanted to bitch about Brooks.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Yeah, well he is nuts. His concerns aren’t concerning to him. He tied Brooks to his strawman and ran wild. And ended up looking ridiculous. As always.

PED usage and attempts to minimize and eliminate it have been going on my whole life. It’s nothing new, he just wanted to bitch about Brooks.

Wrong. Brooks is using a PED. That's an objective fact. He just has approval to use it and therefore isn't a cheater. No straw men, just facts that are unsettling for you to hear.

While this maybe true, it was still poor form to tie them click-bait style to AB based on half-truths in the way you titled the thread.

No half truths. It's an objective fact that he tested positive for a PED. Amphetamines are classified as a PED by the sports regulators and are banned from competition. In order to use it, you have to fill out a questionnaire and get a doctor to sign off that's it's therapeutic to get an exemption. I understand this topic is unsettling for some and most would prefer to not discuss it.

No half truths. It's an objective fact that he tested positive for a PED. Amphetamines are classified as a PED by the sports regulators and are banned from competition. In order to use it, you have to fill out a questionnaire and get a doctor to sign off that's it's therapeutic to get an exemption. I understand this topic is unsettling for some and most would prefer to not discuss it.
Like I said "half-truth."

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Sounds like someone is still hungry, time for another serving?

images

The bottom line is Brooks committed a clerical error- it was a paperwork issue. It was resolved by providing the needed paperwork. Had he brought the prescription that he had at the time to U23s, nothing happens. For all anyone knows, there could be other Olympians (including Spencer) with TUE’s. Mineo wanted his clickbait and got it.

he committed a paper work error while using a banned substance
Yes, a banned substance that is not banned with the proper paperwork (as evidenced by them allowing him to compete in the OTTs and now clearing him to compete in the Olympics)

Reactions: el dub
So he didn’t test positive?
Let me spell out both halves of the truth for any fixated on the one half presented largely by @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven in this thread.

1) Trues emphasized repeatedlly: a) AB tested positive for a detectable level of amphetamine: b) amphetamine is in the WADA banned substance list; and c) AB retroactively filed for a TUE after the positive test.

2) Trues largely ignored: a) AB had a valid prescription; b) the positive test came from AB's ADHD medication; c) the amount of amphetamine in the ADHD medication is low dose; and d) WADA had already determined taking the medication does not create a substantial probability of significant performance enhancement regarding this substance when taken in accordance with a valid prescription.

Instead of acknowledging the second half of the truths, false equivalencies were substituted in narratives relating to: a) use of ADHD without a valid prescription (e.g. Georgia tennis); b) correlation as presumed causation being greater abuse in the athletic population vs the general population; and c) abuse of high dose amphetamines (greenies) in MLB. Each is a false equivalency that does not presumptively apply to AB.

Even @PatMineo22 saw fit to supplement his original tweet (in post #1 of this thread) with the parenthetical "(for adderall, not exactly a PED)."

Michael Phelps, the most decorated American swimmer, took ADHD medication. Many recognize that sufferers of ADHD fair better in individual sports (e.g., swimming, tennis, and wrestling). But somehow this generally understood correlation was not presumed for AB by some, like Vodka--but thankfully not all--on this board.

Last edited:
Let me spell it out both halves of the truth for any fixated on the one half presented largely by @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven in this thread.

1) Trues emphasized repeatedlly: a) AB tested positive a detectable level of amphetamine: b) amphetamine is in the WADA banned substane list; and c) AB retroactively filed for a TUE after the positive test.

2) Trues largely ignored:a) AB had a valid prescription; b) the positive test ame from AB's ADHD medication; c) the amount of amphetamine in the ADHD medication is low dose; and d) WADA had already determined taking the medication does not create a substantial probability of significant performance enhancement regarding this substance when taken in accordance with a valid prescription.

Instead of acknowledging the second half of the truths, false equivalencies were substituted in narratives relating to: a) use of ADHD without a valid prescription (e.g. Georgia tennis); b) correlation as presumed causation being greater abuse in the athletic population vs the general population; and c) abuse of high dose amphetamines (greenies) in MLB. Each a false equivalency that do not presumptively apply to AB.

Even @PatMineo22 saw fit to supplement his original tweet (in post #1 of this thread) with the parenthetical "(for adderall, not exactly a PED)."

Michael Phelps, the most decorated American swimmer, took ADHD medication. Many recognize that sufferers of ADHD fair better in individual sports (e.g., swimming, tennis, and wrestling). But somehow this generally understood correlation was not presumed for AB by some, like Vodka--but thankfully not all--on this board.
And I am supposed to be the one that is long-winded and oft repeating?

Objective facts are benign. Subjective inferences, seasoned with a dash of hyperbole, are not.

Let me spell out both halves of the truth for any fixated on the one half presented largely by @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven in this thread.

1) Trues emphasized repeatedlly: a) AB tested positive for a detectable level of amphetamine: b) amphetamine is in the WADA banned substance list; and c) AB retroactively filed for a TUE after the positive test.

2) Trues largely ignored: a) AB had a valid prescription; b) the positive test came from AB's ADHD medication; c) the amount of amphetamine in the ADHD medication is low dose; and d) WADA had already determined taking the medication does not create a substantial probability of significant performance enhancement regarding this substance when taken in accordance with a valid prescription.

Instead of acknowledging the second half of the truths, false equivalencies were substituted in narratives relating to: a) use of ADHD without a valid prescription (e.g. Georgia tennis); b) correlation as presumed causation being greater abuse in the athletic population vs the general population; and c) abuse of high dose amphetamines (greenies) in MLB. Each is a false equivalency that does not presumptively apply to AB.

I can shorten that up.

Yes

WADA is known for coming down HARD on athletes. If they cleared him, I’m pretty sure it was probably the right move.
I've followed the testing issue for some time now, and yeah. There is obviously TUEs and they exist for a valid reason. Adderall will have limited positive effects on athletic performance compared to the health benefits. Testing exists for safety reasons and to help keep everyone on the same playing field.

They're balancing multiple valid points of views to keep the sports as safe and competitive as possible. If you read the history on drug testing in sports you will see some crazy things athletes have done over the years. Actual amphetamines, cocaine, crazy amounts of anabolic steroids, etc.

Funny thing hormone replacement therapy is quite common these days, but the amount used to keep you at upper normal levels is so much lower than what Soviet bloc women were using. ( Our guys were using too, but we don't like to talk about that lol.)

The fact that you don't even understand this failed test wasn't from the NCAA but from Brooks' international competition and the international regulatory bodies speaks for itself. You're completely uninformed and naive.
Again, if someone official - that includes nobody on here - determines there are shenanigans I’ll give it my undivided attention.

Anyone that doesn’t think adderrall would greatly help a wrestler is foolish. I’m not prescribed them but I took one of those bad boys at work one afternoon and I got a weeks worth of work done in about 3 hours. I was zoned in like never before and had no appetite whatsoever. Adderrall would be a wrestlers best friend! I won’t accuse AB of not needing it but it wouldn’t surprise me if a very large amount of wrestlers take it. I watched a documentary on it one time and the variety and number of people from students, athletes, musicians, doctors it seemed like everyone is taking it!

Where most got this wrong was that Brooks had a approved TUE from USA wrestling prior to the trials. The paperwork never got from USA wrestling to WADA. Had Aaron not filed with USA wrestling, he would have been in the same boat as Oliver.M o

Consider the source, common sense and critical thinking isn't the Op's thing.

Anyone that doesn’t think adderrall would greatly help a wrestler is foolish. I’m not prescribed them but I took one of those bad boys at work one afternoon and I got a weeks worth of work done in about 3 hours. I was zoned in like never before and had no appetite whatsoever. Adderrall would be a wrestlers best friend! I won’t accuse AB of not needing it but it wouldn’t surprise me if a very large amount of wrestlers take it. I watched a documentary on it one time and the variety and number of people from students, athletes, musicians, doctors it seemed like everyone is taking it!
Do you have ADD or ADHD? People that have a real condition are more normal than somehow higher functioning.

If I have it I haven’t been diagnosed. So im basing this off what it does to people that don’t need it. I would still be willing to bet it suppresses appetite for those with ADD or ADHD; perfect for cutting weight.

If I have it I haven’t been diagnosed. So im basing this off what it does to people that don’t need it. I would still be willing to bet it suppresses appetite for those with ADD or ADHD; perfect for cutting weight.
I do have ADD and it will suppress appetite. However the sides were bad for me. I was on Strattera and it zoned me out too much. I could not perform at a high level athletically on the stuff if I was an athlete. I literally did not give a crap about most things and was very numb generally emotionally on it.

Reactions: GiApet and tiltman
Doctors love to prescribe medications.
It's almost like they get a little kick back and guarantee themselves a return patient.
In their defense people do not take care of themselves. I heard true compliance runs from 1%-10% from various health care providers.

In their defense people do not take care of themselves. I heard true compliance runs from 1%-10% from various health care providers.
You are correct, people do not take good care of themselves.
It's crazy how people will take one medication for something, then another for something else and then a couple more because of something from a medication they are already taking. Such a racket.
I am FAR from perfect, but I make a conscious effort daily to take care of myself.
A lot of people I know would rather take medication than to make the effort I do for myself.
I feel what I'm doing is working, because I feel great, no meds (not even asprin or tylenol) and I do not remember the last time I was in a doctor's office. If someone asked who my doctor is, I would probably have to say my chiropractor. lol
It is a good thing we have doctors to fix knees, shoulders, backs and things like appendicitis though.

It's crazy how people will take one medication for something, then another for something else and then a couple more because of something from a medication they are already taking. Such a racket.
I am FAR from perfect, but I make a conscious effort daily to take care of myself.
A lot of people I know would rather take medication than to make the effort I do for myself.
I feel what I'm doing is working, because I feel great, no meds (not even asprin or tylenol) and I do not remember the last time I was in a doctor's office. If someone asked who my doctor is, I would probably have to say my chiropractor. lol
It is a good thing we have doctors to fix knees, shoulders, backs and things like appendicitis though.
that's awesome that you're healthy and taking care of yourself

eating right and exercise/staying active can work for a lot of people

personally, i have a congenital heart condition that no amount of good diet and exercise will fix. and there are neurological disorders for which the same is true. taking drugs or medication shouldn't be the first option for everything, but taking medication for a medical condition is not signs of a personal weakness or a flaw in character

that's awesome that you're healthy and taking care of yourself

eating right and exercise/staying active can work for a lot of people

personally, i have a congenital heart condition that no amount of good diet and exercise will fix. and there are neurological disorders for which the same is true. taking drugs or medication shouldn't be the first option for everything, but taking medication for a medical condition is not signs of a personal weakness or a flaw in character
I guess every situation is different. I hope what you are doing works to keep you healthy and living a good quality life.

I use all medical providers including my chiropractor. I lift with him at times. If it's a body structure issue I go to him. He's up on nutrition also. As for MDs, I minimize prescriptions. For example I tore my left meniscus, I did rehab with my chiropractor and went to my MD when my better insurance kicked in to maybe get X rays and an MRI . He agreed it was a tear and sent my for x rays which confirmed it. However my BP was up at the visit.

Because I was sluggish while rehabbing it not walking daily to rest the knee and not lifting lower body. He wanted me on BP meds, I said no and asked him if he remembers why I was there? It was like I was a weirdo for not wanting to go on meds. I was just starting back with my walking and lower body workouts and took my BP down to safe levels with diet and exercise in 2 weeks, 145-150/95-100 down to 131/80. My next yearly visit was 123/70. It hovers in the 100-125 ish range over 65-80. I would be up today because we had a death in our family yesterday and last night I had too many of my screen names. Usually I'm a very light drinker, less than 2 a week on average. Beer makes me tired and bourbon while tasty is limited. I figured your father dying gives you grace for the day.

So I follow your lead. One reason why I love Iowa, I took full advantage of the student chiropractors at Palmer when I lived in the area. Kept me healthy musculoskeletal wise. It was a dream for a guy who lifted heavy.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT