ADVERTISEMENT

Puerto Rican CEO: Local government 'corrupt' and 'totally inexperienced' in Maria cleanup

That doesn't explain the week long delay in ordering the USNS Comfort to sea, or explain the comments about some people just wanting everything handed to them. It fits a narrative that the people who are suffering in life threatening conditions are the ones to blame for the suffering.

That doesn't explain the week long delay in ordering the USNS Comfort to sea, or explain the comments about some people just wanting everything handed to them. It fits a narrative that the people who are suffering in life threatening conditions are the ones to blame for the suffering.

You want a hospital ship blocking ships full of supplies trying to get into port?

Puerto Rican CEO: Local government 'corrupt' and 'totally inexperienced' in Maria cleanup
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/0...help-fema-efforts-calls-local-pols-inept.html
Yeah, what local government would be experienced in dealing with 2 back-to-back Cat4/5 hurricanes? Would DSM be ready to deal with two CAT 4 tornadoes within a week or two?

JFC. Give it up guys. Can we deflect any more than this?

Is this guy hoping to get a position with FOX News?

You want a hospital ship blocking ships full of supplies trying to get into port?
What good are supplies if you have no means to distribute them to the surrounding countryside? That has been largely the problem. No trucks or drivers to deliver the goods.

Where is the Red Ball Express when they are needed the most?

What good are supplies if you have no means to distribute them to the surrounding countryside? That has been largely the problem. No trucks or drivers to deliver the goods.

Where is the Red Ball Express when they are needed the most?

So, how's anybody going to get to the hospital ship?

Reactions: herk90
So, how's anybody going to get to the hospital ship?
Are you serious? I'm sure our military has that capability. Hell we landed on occupied/fortified beaches all during WWII. Surely our world's greatest military has the capability to do any damn thing they need to do in a non-war zone. Don't you think?

Get the military involved and we can easily solve any logistical problems, land, sea, or air.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Are you serious? I'm sure our military has that capability. Hell we landed on occupied/fortified beaches all during WWII. Surely our world's greatest military has the capability to do any damn thing they need to do in a non-war zone. Don't you think?

Get the military involved and we can easily solve any logistical problems, land, sea, or air.

Gee, how long did they plan and prepare for those invasions? A week or two and then they landed? Is that what you think?

Gee, how long did they plan and prepare for those invasions? A week or two and then they landed? Is that what you think?
Its not like they didnt know these storms were coming, and the potential damage they were capable of producing. Right? Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Its not like they didnt know these storms were coming, and the potential damage they were capable of producing. Right? Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

So, you want enough personnel, equipment and relief supplies to take care of 3.5 million people on standby 9 months out of the year, every year?

Trad, truth be told, they should at least be preparing for a third catastrophic storm. This hurricane season is far from over. At least 2 months remaining.

Trad, truth be told, they should at least be preparing for a third catastrophic storm. This hurricane season is far from over. At least 2 months remaining.

We already had three catastrophic storms. How many are we supposed to be prepared for?

So, you want enough personnel, equipment and relief supplies to take care of 3.5 million people on standby 9 months out of the year, every year?
What would be wrong with that, to at least be prepared for a worse case scenario? The probability of that happening is low I admit but at least have an idea of what to do. Don't wait for the "fake news" reports. smh

As I understand it we had Boots on the ground in Haiti after the horrific earthquakes back in 2010/2011 within 48 hours, and that wasn't even one of our territories. Why not the same for PR?

What would be wrong with that, to at least be prepared for a worse case scenario? The probability of that happening is low I admit but at least have an idea of what to do. Don't wait for the "fake news" reports. smh

As I understand it we had Boots on the ground in Haiti after the horrific earthquakes back in 2010/2011 within 48 hours, and that wasn't even one of our territories. Why not the same for PR?

Every situation is different and it's impossible to plan for everything.

Every situation is different and it's impossible to plan for everything.
So, let's not do any planning? Just wait and see? What if Irma had given you a direct hit? Should we have waited it out for a week afterwards and seen what needed to be done before we reacted?

Why not use the resources we have including our satellites and radars and Storm Prediction Centers and be prepared for the worst?

Tell me. Are you glad you live in Florida instead of Puerto Rico?

"Totally inexperienced."

Wouldn't you be more worried if they weren't. "Oh the hurricane came through and leveled every building and knocked out power, yeah that was a b***h to clean up last week, but we'll get at least two more this fall."

So, let's not do any planning? Just wait and see? What if Irma had given you a direct hit? Should we have waited it out for a week afterwards and seen what needed to be done before we reacted?

Why not use the resources we have including our satellites and radars and Storm Prediction Centers and be prepared for the worst?

Tell me. Are you glad you live in Florida instead of Puerto Rico?

The exact same thing could happen to Florida but the response would be faster because Florida isn't an island.

Look, this could happen anywhere in the Southeast. What if your prepositioned resources are stored in the hurricane's bull's eye?

The exact same thing could happen to Florida but the response would be faster because Florida isn't an island.

It's Puerto Rico right? Isn't that like 100 miles away? And don't they have these things called planes and ships to move goods and services?

It's Puerto Rico right? Isn't that like 100 miles away? And don't they have these things called planes and ships to move goods and services?
Response in Florida is still going to be faster. Thousands of trucks can go to Florida from other parts of the country. Only a certain amount of ships and planes are going to an island. How is someone even trying to argue this point?

Response in Florida is still going to be faster. Thousands of trucks can go to Florida from other parts of the country. Only a certain amount of ships and planes are going to an island. How is someone even trying to argue this point?

Well duh of course Floridia is going to be quicker, that's not the point I take contention with. But, the implication the PR, cause its an island, its toally OK for a slow response and things take time. We've seen our military build whole towns in days, there are ways to get goods and services into Puerto Rico --even if all the runways are full or docks are blocked. Let's stop acting like "oh its an island it's totally difficult" in 2017.

Which need operational airports and ports for planes and ships.

Really?

Yes that would make things easier. But i've seen drops from planes before and people landed on beaches for hundreds of years without the help of docks. I think we could figure it out and get things into PR.

Reactions: TheCainer

Look, this could happen anywhere in the Southeast. What if your prepositioned resources are stored in the hurricane's bull's eye?
You're missing the big picture. Our military resources who would be capable of dealing with PR's disaster was not put on alert to deal with the disaster that unfolded until well after it happened. Why not? Would you be satisfied with the same military response if N. Korea launched nukes against us or our allies? The same thing happened with Bush Sr. with Andrew and Bush Jr. with Katrina. They were not prepared to deal with the disastrous results those storms produced because of their lack of foresight. The same goes with Trump. He was more occupied with the NFL than he was with the actual disaster at hand.

You're missing the big picture. Our military resources who would be capable of dealing with PR's disaster was not put on alert to deal with the disaster that unfolded until well after it happened. Why not? Would you be satisfied with the same military response if N. Korea launched nukes against us or our allies? The same thing happened with Bush Sr. with Andrew and Bush Jr. with Katrina. They were not prepared to deal with the disastrous results those storms produced because of their lack of foresight. The same goes with Trump. He was more occupied with the NFL than he was with the actual disaster at hand.

You realize the Navy gets ships OUT OF THE WAY of hurricanes, right? They should have just steamed towards Maria so they could get to P.R. the next day?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
1,000 miles is a very long throw

14db71b94310e03a827de907c86a3f6f.jpg

Reactions: Daggerfoot
Really?

Yes that would make things easier. But i've seen drops from planes before and people landed on beaches for hundreds of years without the help of docks. I think we could figure it out and get things into PR.

Where Will these planes you speak of take off from and drop supplies and then where would they land once they are done?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT