ADVERTISEMENT

Q to Baylor HC Dave Aranda: Why are you having so much success on the recruiting trail? A: "We're paying players."

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Baylor's Dave Aranda gave a blunt answer at Big 12 media days on why the Bears are finding success on the recruiting trail.

GSJPifsaUAcy4Uj

Some excerpts from the linked article:

Speaking at Big 12 Media Days in Las Vegas on Wednesday, Baylor head coach Dave Aranda was asked about the recent recruiting success. In a new college football landscape where NIL is crucial to retaining and attracting talent, the fifth-year coach delivered a blunt answer.

“We’re paying players,” Aranda said on 365 Sports with Craig Smoak.

Asked in a follow-up question if it’s that simple, the Baylor coach responded with a quick “Yes.”

In October 2022, a team-wide NIL deal was made with Baylor football players. While the full details of the contract were not disclosed, sources said the total amount of cash given to the athletes was in the seven-figure range.

Baylor deputy athletic director Jovan Overshown told The Athletic this spring that NIL funding for football has “doubled” since last year and the Baylor GXG collective is working to ensure that NIL doesn’t stand in the way of Baylor landing or retaining a player.

Last edited:
Good for him being transparent at least. Even though it was just messaging to his donors and advertising to recruits

Reactions: ClarindaA's
And?

There’s no going back - pay players to come to our program. If we can out-pay schools like Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan State..we’ll continue to have our 8-9 win success.

I know I'm likely in the minority here ... but this seems to portend the breaking-point of my fandom.

Collegiate sports has now become the "G-league" that people actually care about. I'm not against players getting paid (for legit reasons ... relating to merch and getting a percentage of tv-dollars) ... but I also value amateurism. I like watching young people who still have a love for the game. I think that we're seeing this fall to the wayside.

I know I'm likely in the minority here ... but this seems to portend the breaking-point of my fandom.

Collegiate sports has now become the "G-league" that people actually care about. I'm not against players getting paid (for legit reasons ... relating to merch and getting a percentage of tv-dollars) ... but I also value amateurism. I like watching young people who still have a love for the game. I think that we're seeing this fall to the wayside.
I don’t think you are in the minority…..

D1 football and men's basketball definitely seem to be turning into the minor leagues.

And don't forget; revenue sharing is coming so these athletes' compensation is only going to increase. Now we might see players stay in school for as long as possible just because their pay will be so good.

Everything I despise about pro sports has now filtered to the college level - free agency.

Yes - players should get a piece of the very big D1 pie … but now you can legally “buy” your way to the top. It’s exactly what Oregon did years back when Phil Knight tossed a bunch of Nike money to the school. I used to live in Oregon and fandom was equal to a JC program. Now it has the best facilities and continues to rake in players.

I still will choose college over pro any day - but the playing field is definitely shifting.

Everything I despise about pro sports has now filtered to the college level - free agency.

Yes - players should get a piece of the very big D1 pie … but now you can legally “buy” your way to the top. It’s exactly what Oregon did years back when Phil Knight tossed a bunch of Nike money to the school. I used to live in Oregon and fandom was equal to a JC program. Now it has the best facilities and continues to rake in players.

I still will choose college over pro any day - but the playing field is definitely shifting.

things are now very much like the pros; the university can't sign players to 3 year deals, however; players are free to leave at any time & be immediately eligible to play at their next destination

it takes money to not only acquire players but to keep them.

tampering now is rampant.

pay to play totally sucks

things are now very much like the pros; the university can't sign players to 3 year deals, however; players are free to leave at any time & be immediately eligible to play at their next destination

it takes money to not only acquire players but to keep them.

tampering now is rampant.

pay to play totally sucks
Still some loyal players. Pretty sure Castro, Higgins and Jackson could have easily gone elsewhere for more money.

They could also use some of the record breaking TV money they are getting to pay the players or cut the ridiculous salary of the head coach.
And they will have to do that as well but it’s like everything else. If they want to stay competitive, they’re going to have to maximize that 20% including increasing revenue from the fans.

And they will have to do that as well but it’s like everything else. If they want to stay competitive, they’re going to have to maximize that 20% including increasing revenue from the fans.
They can certainly try but I think some will just opt out and watch on TV. The ticket prices and donations to keep tickets is very much on the high end as of now. I believe if much more is asked for people will just say it's not worth it.

Reactions: ICHerky
I don't fault the players for wanting a piece of the billions as it is their bodies and brains being subjected to the physical toll.
But any pretense of amateurism, which has been flimsy for many years, is now well and truly gone.
This is professional football.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Perfectly encapsulates today's football. It's all about who spends the most. It'll be interesting to see how far Ohio State goes this year with how much they spent. Makes you wonder if they'll eventually incorporate some kind of cap?

there will be a cap when it comes to revenue sharing.

but, as far as I know, there is no cap when it comes to NIL

there will be a cap when it comes to revenue sharing.

but, as far as I know, there is no cap when it comes to NIL
And there shouldn’t be…as long as it’s truly NIL. Jack Booster paying Johnny Quarterback $500k to sign 10 autographs isn’t NIL, it’s pay-to-play. The NCAA needs to find a way to eliminate pay-to-play while allowing players the legit opportunity to cash in on their name, image, and likeness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT