ADVERTISEMENT

QB starter for Illinois State

KF is notorious for not playing two qbs even in games that are well decided. It’s almost like he tries to avoid a fan qb controversy or debate. I don’t think there is any ways the qb’s play an equal amount, but having packages for both and getting both meaningful playing time would be a huge step forward.
They are going to have to. For 1 thing, you always want your #2 to be as ready as possible. For another, Cade is done this year and Sully is done next year. To keep any sort of flow in the QB position, backups are going to have to get somewhat meaningful reps during the season. I mean there is a chance Sully gets beat out next year, but no matter what you still have to basically have 2 QB's who are ready to roll. WE DO NOT want another situation like last year.

and yet, he was the starter. What does that say about the quality of the QBs?
I'm not disagreeing that Kirk didn't have much option behind him. Just seems like when were talking about Cade not really "lighting it up" at Iowa, you have to take into consideration that he had the injury in the spring, coming after his earlier rehabbing his injury at Michigan. It appears obvious that he was favoring that leg, and may have caused his latest ACL injury. We'll see just how close he is in a few days. Hopefully the line gives him better protection and he can get his feet under him and play with some confidence. Lets face it Cade knows full well this is his last chance to show NFL scouts he COULD stay healthy and be a draftable player. Another injury or sub par performance and his career is over. Thankfully for the first time in awhile we appear to have a challenger who seems to have some skills and has competed with some success in the B1G.

Agree.

Iowa has had quarterbacks who suck. Cade is not one of them.
I hope he’s healthy and improved from last year. He hesitated way too often and needed more time than the O-line could give him (and all the other QBs) with the gimpy leg he was dealing with.

Won’t take long Saturday to find out what version we are gonna see this year.

I am Iowa guy living in Evanston. We have season tickets to Northwestern because we love watch college football live. I watched Sullivan play. He is OK QB but not great. Cade is still Iowa's best QB.

Well...you can't spell 'bleak' without 'beak'. And you know what has a beak? A hawk. And you know what else a hawk has? Eyes. And...ummm...you know what else is...it has....does.......

(crickets chirping)

Ol' Doodle will show himself out.

Dude, just give us a BOAF!
You clearly want to.

As I recall, Iowa played 2 QB's in 2001. It was Brad Banks and some white guy.

The 2001 Hawkeyes took a big step that year and won their Bowl game.

I was a student in 1981 when Fry played both Gordy Bohannon and Pete Gales. That year sure turned out ok.

He did? I must have missed it. He certainly didn't light the world on fire with his stats.
There is zero comparison across these when looking at the stats and it's not even funny.

Sullivan 2023
63.6% completion rate, 714 yards passing, 6TDs/2INTs, 7.2 yards per attempt

Mcnamara 2021
64% completion rate, 2576 yards passing, 15TDs/6INTs, 7.9 yards per attempt

Deacon Hill 2023
48.6% completion, 1156 yards passing, 5TDs/8INTs, 4.6 yards per attempt

Spencer Petras 2022
55.9% completion, 1725 yards passing, 5TDs/5 INTs, 6.1 yards per attempt

There is zero comparison across these when looking at the stats and it's not even funny.

Sullivan 2023
63.6% completion rate, 714 yards passing, 6TDs/2INTs, 7.2 yards per attempt

Mcnamara 2021
64% completion rate, 2576 yards passing, 15TDs/6INTs, 7.9 yards per attempt

Deacon Hill 2023
48.6% completion, 1156 yards passing, 5TDs/8INTs, 4.6 yards per attempt

Spencer Petras 2022
55.9% completion, 1725 yards passing, 5TDs/5 INTs, 6.1 yards per attempt
Dude. I'm talking about the 3 to 4 games Cade actually played in last year.. None of the other stuff you list matters. List those stats.

Dude. I'm talking about the 3 to 4 games Cade actually played in last year.. None of the other stuff you list matters. List those stats.
JLD: I only evaluate players when they’re injured. Healthy stats lie.

RFK Jr 2024!!!!!!!

For everyone saying it just isn't KF to play two QBs, you have to remember we are in the ERA of needing to be able to recruit portal players.

If you let a portal playing sit behind a player struggling to perform, it's going to send a message to any other future portal prospect. They wouldn't bring in a transfer unless they felt they might really need to him start. So I think in this scenario he isn't going to be as stubborn as he typically would be.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
They are going to have to. For 1 thing, you always want your #2 to be as ready as possible. For another, Cade is done this year and Sully is done next year. To keep any sort of flow in the QB position, backups are going to have to get somewhat meaningful reps during the season. I mean there is a chance Sully gets beat out next year, but no matter what you still have to basically have 2 QB's who are ready to roll. WE DO NOT want another situation like last year.
Iowa has never really done much in a game to ensure their #2 was as ready as possible. TL will hopefully change that narrative.

Iowa's D should be able to shut down Ill St like they did SDSU with Campbell draggin the RB like a caveman. I really hope the offense is able to get its feet under itself and be successful. It would really bode well to have both Cade and Sully play half a game each and rack up a score of something like 45-3

Honestly you are running up against another poster that claims Iowa was better off with Deacon last year, as quantifiably the dumbest posts of the year. Congrats and good luck on winning that award.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
He did? I must have missed it. He certainly didn't light the world on fire with his stats.
I would imagine he's saying while he was at Michigan he showed he can play at this level. That would seem obvious....Nobody things we got to see him anywhere near his best last season.

I am Iowa guy living in Evanston. We have season tickets to Northwestern because we love watch college football live. I watched Sullivan play. He is OK QB but not great. Cade is still Iowa's best QB.
As an alum and fan of both schools, I agree with this. Sullivan is solid depth. Don't expect much more than that.

Likewise, I would view Gill starting as a sign of lack of depth at WR. Nothing against the kid, but he was way down the depth chart at NU.

RFK Jr 2024!!!!

RFK Jr 2024!!!!!!!
Lol. He seemed fine to start his Hawkeye career. 54% was it? 5 tds to 3 interceptions. Very, very a average QB and I'd bet we see more of the same. Could be injuries, could be he just isn't that good.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
As an alum and fan of both schools, I agree with this. Sullivan is solid depth. Don't expect much more than that.

Likewise, I would view Gill starting as a sign of lack of depth at WR. Nothing against the kid, but he was way down the depth chart at NU.
He was not “way down the depth chart.”

He played in all 12 games his Sophomore year, and started 2. Then he got hurt his Junior year.

Lol. He seemed fine to start his Hawkeye career. 54% was it? 5 tds to 3 interceptions. Very, very a average QB and I'd bet we see more of the same. Could be injuries, could be he just isn't that good.
He was bad last year. No way to sugar coat it. Hoping it was at least somewhat related to his quad injury and the offense he was operating in. If he isn't significantly better this year the offense will suffer again.

Reactions: JLDHAWK

Only those with black and gold glasses on are seeing QB and WR as team strengths. The hope among rational fans is that they are better than what saw the field last year when they were abysmal. Everything that people are evaluating is against the backdrop of a historically bad offense. The reality is that when you're starting from the bottom the offense could improve a fair amount and still be pretty bad. 🤷‍♂️

Only those with black and gold glasses on are seeing QB and WR as team strengths. The hope among rational fans is that they are better than what saw the field last year when they were abysmal. Everything that people are evaluating is against the backdrop of a historically bad offense. The reality is that when you're starting from the bottom the offense could improve a fair amount and still be pretty bad. 🤷‍♂️
Pretty much this.

He was bad last year. No way to sugar coat it. Hoping it was at least somewhat related to his quad injury and the offense he was operating in. If he isn't significantly better this year the offense will suffer again.
Agree. He also didn't have the talent he had at Michigan so stats suffered. Lots of reasons could be why. I hope I am dead wrong on Cade on its not mostly just him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT