ADVERTISEMENT

QB's of best KF teams

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
Ranking what I believe were the better teams in order.

2002- Brad Banks. We all know the accolades but like it or not he had the best supporting cast in KF Era. Weapons everywhere. Best Oline ever at Iowa. If he doesn't hurt his hand against ISU we are 12-0 that year. His bowl game was a disaster unfortunately.

2009- Ricky Stanzi. Again, same theme as Banks. Difference was Stanzi was a turnover machine. Not sure but I think Stanzi threw more pick sixes that year than Petras did TD's last season. Stanzi had really nice weapons to throw to but no running game.

2015- CJ Bethard. Very steady. No weapons. Decent line and decent run game. CJ on any other of the better teams is a Heisman candidate. Made a lot out of nothing.

2020- Spencer Petras. Yeah I know people bash the dude left and right but cut the kid a break. He is the classic big arm statue QB with an oline that was literally the worst in pass protection last year. When he was given time to throw he was decent. Yeah he was limited but at least when CJ had no weapons the line was solid. In 2020 people were excited about Spencer cuz he had some really good moments.

I think Cade is better than all of these guys. I think Cade is going to have the best arsenal of weapons in the KF Era. I think the offensive line is going to be at least on part with 2009 and 2015. If everyone stays I think 2024 line will rival 2002. Yeah, I said that!!

I am so jazzed right now

If you think 2020 was his 4th best team, I can’t take this serious
Drew Tate was definitely ahead of Petras. He was an incredible qb. No run game that year and let him do his thing. One of the best adjustments to a teams weaknesses and strength one season. If Cade is close to Banks ad far as qb rating I'll be excited! I think he has the ability to be the best if our line can run and pass block.

I agree that Tate and the 2004 squad were better than the 2020 team. Tate was amazing that year, that defense was really good, and they won a full season B1G title.

The 2020 team steamrolled their final 6 opponents but some injuries and turnovers made them lose the first two games. If the 2020 team would have beat Purdue and jNW, which were good teams, and been 8-0 I would put them in the top 5 at #5

Drew Tate was definitely ahead of Petras. He was an incredible qb. No run game that year and let him do his thing. One of the best adjustments to a teams weaknesses and strength one season. If Cade is close to Banks ad far as qb rating I'll be excited! I think he has the ability to be the best if our line can run and pass block.
Drew Tate might be the most unappreciated QB on these boards. Tate is second in career passing yards (8,292), TD passes (61), completions (665), attempts (1,090), and total offense (8,427). He also completed a 56-yard scoring strike on the last play of the game to lead Iowa to a win over LSU in the 2005 Capital One Bowl. He's also one of only 2 QB's to have a completion percentage above 60%.

Drew Tate might be the most unappreciated QB on these boards. Tate is second in career passing yards (8,292), TD passes (61), completions (665), attempts (1,090), and total offense (8,427). He also completed a 56-yard scoring strike on the last play of the game to lead Iowa to a win over LSU in the 2005 Capital One Bowl. He's also one of only 2 QB's to have a completion percentage above 60%.
Lol, KF's best QB.

Had a long career in Canada and CJ is only close to him in terms of making 💰 playing football as a QB here.

Reactions: littlez
Nate Stanley and the 2019 squad has to rank up there, a
He's 3rd in all of those except total offense now i believe thanks to Nate Stanley

The best pure passer in the KF era IMO. A great QB,

However, the 2006 season (his senior year) was a clunker - not his fault, but it's hard to be beloved on a lousy team.

Actually Nate Stanley is 2nd in those stats with 8302 yds, and 68 Td passes. Pretty amazing numbers for a guy everybody bitched about all the time......He had some issues missing some guys deep, but he also made some throws that almost no Iowa QB I ever seen could make. Tough as nails too....

Actually Nate Stanley is 2nd in those stats with 8302 yds, and 68 Td passes. Pretty amazing numbers for a guy everybody bitched about all the time......He had some issues missing some guys deep, but he also made some throws that almost no Iowa QB I ever seen could make. Tough as nails too....
Yeah. Stupid interwebs. Came straight off the UNI website. Man were these 2 guys close statwise. Yards and completions were basically identical. Tate had a 61% completion rate to Stanley's 58%. Tate had a 137 passer rating to Stanley's 134. Would be great to see some numbers like these this year.

You just endured three years of the worst QB play since the Bob Commings era. Then you thought it was a good idea to rank him ahead of Drew Tate, who put the entire offense on his back and won a B1G championship.

Think before you type.
I ranked the top 4 teams. Not the top 4 QB. Made it pretty clear in the first sentence. You sure I am the one who needs to think.

Lest we all forget, guys, 2020 was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage season. I just cannot and will not put any stock in the meaning of any of those wins (or losses either for that matter).
Meh, just because some might not have taken it as seriously, doesn't mean it didn't matter. That's all on those teams/coaches/players.

2020 counts whether people want to cry about it, and make all the excuses they want to, or not.

Hope that helps in your, and others', assessments going forward. :D

Lest we all forget, guys, 2020 was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage season. I just cannot and will not put any stock in the meaning of any of those wins (or losses either for that matter).
Iowa benefited from besides Waggoner really having limited Covid issues. Teams like Iowa who did were successful compared to others who didn’t like Wisconsin. But I agree it is a season you kind of have to take with a grain of salt. I mean Michigan and psu sucked and Indiana and isu were great.

But I’ll stoke the flames with this thought a friend brought up. Imagine if 4 game RS policy was in place Stanley’s frosh year. He plays Covid season and case to be made Iowa would’ve been 8-0 and not have lost to jNW and Purdue.

Nate Stanley is the most underrated Iowa QB of all time.
I would say he is properly rated. Behind Banks, Tate, Stanzi and Beathard. Tied with Chandler before we get to the rest of the Ferentz QBs.

He went 27-12, and never went to a Big Ten Championship game despite having some of the best WRs in the Ferentz era, an embarrassment of riches at tight end, in addition to Akrum Wadley and Mekhi Sargent/Toren Young/Tyler Goodsen. Not to mention just insanely stacked defenses.

I guess what I'm saying is this: the guy had a great arm and put up some huge numbers, but he just didn't win nearly as much as he should have.

His rating is accurate.

Ranking what I believe were the better teams in order.

2002- Brad Banks. We all know the accolades but like it or not he had the best supporting cast in KF Era. Weapons everywhere. Best Oline ever at Iowa. If he doesn't hurt his hand against ISU we are 12-0 that year. His bowl game was a disaster unfortunately.

2009- Ricky Stanzi. Again, same theme as Banks. Difference was Stanzi was a turnover machine. Not sure but I think Stanzi threw more pick sixes that year than Petras did TD's last season. Stanzi had really nice weapons to throw to but no running game.

2015- CJ Bethard. Very steady. No weapons. Decent line and decent run game. CJ on any other of the better teams is a Heisman candidate. Made a lot out of nothing.

2020- Spencer Petras. Yeah I know people bash the dude left and right but cut the kid a break. He is the classic big arm statue QB with an oline that was literally the worst in pass protection last year. When he was given time to throw he was decent. Yeah he was limited but at least when CJ had no weapons the line was solid. In 2020 people were excited about Spencer cuz he had some really good moments.

I think Cade is better than all of these guys. I think Cade is going to have the best arsenal of weapons in the KF Era. I think the offensive line is going to be at least on part with 2009 and 2015. If everyone stays I think 2024 line will rival 2002. Yeah, I said that!!

I am so jazzed right now
If this offense is so complicated to learn (I have no idea frankly but we keep hearing it) Brad must have been the smartest QB he ever had!
Also Drew Tate’s team before Petras and it’s not close.

Last edited:
Just addressing one point that seems to always slip by. Banks made everyone on the offense with him better. Defenses had to change the way they played Iowa because of him, and that slight hesitation made it click.

If you think 2020 was his 4th best team, I can’t take this serious

2010...grrrrr...the most frustrating team since 1997

The 2020 team would have been top 10 without Covid. Same dominating defense with a decent oline and actual play makers on the outside. Put any other QB of the KF era on that team and they go undefeated.

• Wow
Reactions: blhawk
a large part of those numbers could be from not having a RB one of those years.

Stanley was great, just not a gamer.
Yeah, right, not a gamer, Stanley missed some key passes but how many hawk QBs had numbers like these, had 6 TDs in one game (chuck long), had a very good winning percentage. Stanley had a great record in trophy games, tossed a lot of great passes, and iirc won 3 bowl games like Ricky Stanzi.

People forget how hard it is to be a qb, remembering all the plays, seeing the receivers moving against the defense, etc. People forget the opponent is also trying to win each game and it is very hard to go 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0.

a large part of those numbers could be from not having a RB one of those years.
IMO that's what made Tate's numbers so impressive. Without a complimentary running game all the pressure was on him to produce and his efficiency numbers were still better than any other multi-year starting QB in the Ferentz era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Tate was a great pure passer. He didn’t have nearly the talent his last two years and he got injured. I felt he and Ricky were neck and neck as a QB. Ricky had better weapons for sure.

I would list Banks, Stanzi/Tate, Beathard and then Nate S. Nate had some huge moments and could have been a legend if he could drop in a few long balls to Fant and ISM. Beathard was a rock star and should have had more time as a starter. However he also got very banged up

To have Petras in a list like this is hard to take seriously.

Yeah, right, not a gamer, Stanley missed some key passes but how many hawk QBs had numbers like these, had 6 TDs in one game (chuck long), had a very good winning percentage. Stanley had a great record in trophy games, tossed a lot of great passes, and iirc won 3 bowl games like Ricky Stanzi.

People forget how hard it is to be a qb, remembering all the plays, seeing the receivers moving against the defense, etc. People forget the opponent is also trying to win each game and it is very hard to go 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0.
That's kind of my point. He had the pedigree, just not the wins.

That's kind of my point. He had the pedigree, just not the wins.
Not the wins? Dude won 27 games in 3 years. How many did Tate and Stanzi win? 68 tds 23 int. Long had 46 int. Amazing to me that 27 wins is considered not having wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT