ADVERTISEMENT

Quad Cities Pizza continues its march to nationwide dominance!!!!!

People who complain about the strip cuts are like 7-year-old kids who insist their grilled cheese sandwich has to be cut a certain direction or they won't eat it.

Some of us are more discerning in our culinary expectations.

You're the type of person that mixes your steak, potatoes and vegetables together, throws some ketchup on top and proclaims "it's all goin to the same place anyway!"

Reactions: lucas80
Some of us are more discerning in our culinary expectations.

You're the type of person that mixes your steak, potatoes and vegetables together, throws some ketchup on top and proclaims "it's all goin to the same place anyway!"
I would never microwave a potato.

Edit for serious answer - it's one thing to keep different foods separated to enjoy their flavor individually. But we're talking about a pizza here. It already has sauce, cheese, and toppings mixed together. Every bite you take is going to have some of each of those things in it. So complaining about the cheese being above the toppings instead of below them is just nonsense.

Again, if you don't like the taste of QC-style pizza then you don't like the taste. But at least make sense in your criticisms.

Last edited:
WellgroomedSnappyHoneybadger-max-1mb.gif

I would never microwave a potato.

Actually, that's one of the few things that can be successfully done in a microwave. I've tried microwaved and baked potatoes side-by-side and couldn't taste a difference except for the skin.

If crispy skin is important to you, throw them under the broiler for a few minutes after they're done. Saves a LOT of time over oven baking.

Actually, that's one of the few things that can be successfully done in a microwave. I've tried microwaved and baked potatoes side-by-side and couldn't taste a difference except for the skin.

If crispy skin is important to you, throw them under the broiler for a few minutes after they're done. Saves a LOT of time over oven baking.
No. Just no.

Baked potatoes should never be microwaved. I don't care how much faster it is. I can wait an hour and a half for a perfectly baked potato.

What are we supposed to call the Quad Cities now that there is a fifth city?
I give credit to Torbee. He's been hounding me for two months to drive over and try QC pizza. I assume he just fills the inbox of everyone on HROT and calls it part of a marketing program at work.

Because two of the "cities" have the same word in the name of their cities.

"Jacksonville" and "Jacksonville Beach" are two separate cities, but nobody thinks of them that way except locals.

I give credit to Torbee. He's been hounding me for two months to drive over and try QC pizza. I assume he just fills the inbox of everyone on HROT and calls it part of a marketing program at work.
There are actually about 12 contagious cities and towns along the river valley that make up the metro area. It can be a bit confusing.

There was a time when it was called the Tri-Cities
with Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline

Then it went to Quint-Cities with Davenport,
Bettendorf, Rock Island, Moline, East Moline

Now it has become the Quad-Cities with Davenport,
Bettendorf, Rock Island, and Moline.

There was a time when it was called the Tri-Cities
with Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline

Then it went to Quint-Cities with Davenport,
Bettendorf, Rock Island, Moline, East Moline

Now it has become the Quad-Cities with Davenport,
Bettendorf, Rock Island, and Moline.

"Tard-cities" is the next natural progression.

My mother used to make pizza with toppings on top of the cheese. I personally didn't care for it that style cause the toppings always got burned by comparison.

My mom was a great cook, but her pizza never turned out well. She liked to put too damn much parmesan cheese on top of everything before putting it in the oven, and never could get the crust right.

I've also had St. Louis style pizza and thought it was horrid (the cheese is terrible) aside from the crust.

I like crisp pizza crust. To me, most pizzas get the crust "wrong" no matter how they make it. It plainly isn't "done enough".

Reactions: longliveCS40
I still don't get it. Take away the gimmicks of the way it's cut and the cheese on top, how is QC pizza any different than a regular pizza. If I cut my Casey's pizza in strips does it become QC style pizza?

I still don't get it. Take away the gimmicks of the way it's cut and the cheese on top, how is QC pizza any different than a regular pizza. If I cut my Casey's pizza in strips does it become QC style pizza?
The malt flavoring in the crust, the fennel seed in the sausage, and the spicy sauce are the three most distinctive characteristics of the actual food.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
The malt flavoring in the crust, the fennel seed in the sausage, and the spicy sauce are the three most distinctive characteristics of the actual food.
To me the defining characteristic of most pizzas is the crust. Qc style has a malty hard AF crust. I’m not going to call it disgusting but it is a Midwest 6. If you’re going to have pizza you can do way better so why settle.

There is a QC style pizza place in Des Moines. Owned by a guy that used to work at Harris. Hometown Pizza.

Awful pizza...nowhere near as good as Harris. Barely any sauce, and overpriced to boot.

Really...I live close to there and tried it for the first time not that long ago. I thought it was pretty good; however this was my first QC style pizza experience so I guess I could see there being much more out there in terms of this culinary anomaly.

Fun Fact: The owner was telling me that the term "QC style pizza" is trademarked so any new establishment that serves that style can't call it that. I already forgot what term they use instead.

Harris's best pizza is their sausage and back in the 80's they use to make a popcorn shrimp pizza, which was surprisingly good. Frank's is owned by brothers who went to UT high school, one of them is a pharmacist and their father started the business in Silvis. The cheese pizza is their best pizza but probably third on the list of must order items at Frank's. First would be the pasta china(chee-na), then the Italian Beef(on the downward trend getting a little dry)sandwich but was spectacular back in the day, big and juicy

I may be just a lone voice in the wilderness but I think any pizza is a good pizza. I will eat it.

Pfft....maybe if I’m fasting in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights, I succumb. But I would have to be pretty damn tempted by a handsome devil.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT