ADVERTISEMENT

Quad Cities Pizza continues its march to nationwide dominance!!!!!

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
First it was written up in the Chicago Tribune and Washington Post, and now it's in AMERICA'S NATIONAL NEWSPAPER, the USA Today. It's just too bad so many other Iowans are jealous of QC Style pizza's growing notoriety and national recognition as one of the best foods on the planet that they feel obligated to denigrate it. But oh well, the momentum cannot be stopped!

The Illinois pizza you have yet to try
Devorah Lev-Tov, Special to USA TODAY Published 6:01 a.m. ET Feb. 9, 2018
scR1Qn.jpg

Not only have you probably not heard of this pizza style, you may not have even heard of the region it comes from: the Quad Cities. To add to the confusion, the Quad Cities are actually made up of five cities (not four) that straddle the Iowa-Illinois border across the Mississippi River: Davenport and Bettendorf in Southeastern Iowa, plus Rock Island, Moline and East Moline in Northwestern Illinois. Now on to the pizza.

Quad Cities-style pizza is a round pizza with a thin crust that has a toasty sweetness to it — often due to the addition of malt to the dough — and the sauce is zesty with a hint of spice. The most popular topping is a fennel-inflected sausage that’s layered (heavily) under a blanket of cheese. That’s right, toppings go under the cheese in this pizza style.

“It’s a pizza that’s kind of made backwards: it’s sauce, the toppings, and then that’s topped with cheese,” says Ryan Mosley of Quad Cities beloved Harris Pizza.

Aside from the ingredients, the way Quad Cities-style pizza is cut is also unique to the region: it’s cut into long, thin strips (different than the squares of a Midwest “party-cut”) that allow for a bit of crust to be on the edge of each strip, with the four corner slices being mostly crust. According to Mosley, these four slices are often fought over. Adding to the oddness, the strips are traditionally cut with a pair of scissors.

At Harris, which opened in 1960, the pizzas were originally cut with blueprint shears, which have especially long blades. Nowadays blueprint shears are not easy to find. “We contacted the manufacturer of the original blueprint shears we had and asked if we could custom make a pair of scissors,” says Mosley. “He was skeptical, but now I own a mold for those scissors. So I actually have, well now they’re called pizza shears — custom-made pizza shears.”

Harris Pizza and Frank’s Pizza are the two oldest pizzerias in the region (Frank’s opened in 1955), and they both lay claim to inventing the unique pizza style. Harris, which has copyrighted the slogan, “The original Quad Cities style pizza,” opened in Rock Island, Ill., by Leonard and Mary Harris. Ryan Mosley is their grandson. “At the time, in the late '50s, pizza in our area was not a very well known item,” says Mosley. He credits his grandparents with bringing pizza to the region. Harris Pizza now has four locations in the Quad Cities region.

The Quad Cities pizza community is small, and some of the current pizza shops were started by former employers of Harris or Frank’s. For example, Clint Doran, who worked for Harris Pizza for 25 years, opened Clint’s Draft House Pizza & Grill in Moline, Ill., in 1993. And while it’s difficult to find true Quad Cities-style pizza outside of the Quad Cities, Greg Mohr, a Rock Island, Ill., native, brought it to Chicago with Roots, which now boasts two Windy City locations. Of course, Mosley insists none of Harris Pizza’s many imitators can make a pizza as good as his.

“I’ve never given the recipe away," he says. "The sauce, dough and meat flavoring is not going to be the same. Are they getting close? Yeah, they’re getting close… they’re all trying to be like us.”

We say, the more pizza the better.

I have never understood the strip cutting style with QC pizza. Squares I get (and prefer), pie cuts I get.

Strips though, I don't get it and never will.

I lived in the Quads for 2 years in the 90's and went to the original Harris location a few times. I never understood the uproar over it quite frankly. It was "merely OK", but not the orgasmic best pizza ever rep it seems to have.

Reactions: QChawks
Harris Sausage = balls of sausage is their style, correct? Not the "mouse turd" style?

Harris Sausage = balls of sausage is their style, correct? Not the "mouse turd" style?
No, it's the "sausage pillow" style:

From the Tribune article: The crumbled sausage, which covers nearly every centimeter of the pizza, issensational. The little bits of pork, riddled with fennel and pepper, really stand out. The meat Is cooked a bit before it's put on the pizza and placed in the oven so there's a little less fat and moisture than is typically found in larger chunks, but thanks to the aforementioned large quantity of cheese, that's not remotely a problem.

FppVoX.jpg

From the Tribune article: The crumbled sausage, which covers nearly every centimeter of the pizza, issensational. The little bits of pork, riddled with fennel and pepper, really stand out. The meat Is cooked a bit before it's put on the pizza and placed in the oven so there's a little less fat and moisture than is typically found in larger chunks, but thanks to the aforementioned large quantity of cheese, that's not remotely a problem.

FppVoX.jpg

Ahh, that's right.

It's been awhile, about 22 years. And as I recall, my GF at the time hated sausage, so we never got it on any Harris pizza. She was a canadian bacon/ham fan if my memory is good.

FppVoX.jpg
I'm no health nut believe me but my inner Chandler voice from Friends says: "can that BE any greasier?

FppVoX.jpg
Absolutely love Harris style sausage. I have never understood why people what sausage chunks on their pizza. If you go to the store to buy sausage, you get finely ground sausage. Never seen it sold in big chucks.I have eaten at the best Pizza joints in CR and in IC, and if Harris was in CR, that would be the ONLY pizza place I would go to.

I don't ever remember eating a pizza that was not to some degree "greasy".

Pork no matter what, cheese, pan grease to prevent sticking...gonna be some "sloppiness" involved.

I don't ever remember eating a pizza that was not to some degree "greasy".

Pork no matter what, cheese, pan grease to prevent sticking...gonna be some "sloppiness" involved.
Yeah but that's on a whole different level. Not just a sheen to it but bubbling grease.

Absolutely love Harris style sausage. I have never understood why people what sausage chunks on their pizza. If you go to the store to buy sausage, you get finely ground sausage. Never seen it sold in big chucks.I have eaten at the best Pizza joints in CR and in IC, and if Harris was in CR, that would be the ONLY pizza place I would go to.

You shouldn't presume the form of the sausage I buy.

Reactions: lucas80
You know what else tried spreading across America? NAMBLA. Which is almost as immoral as QC style pizza.

I have never understood the strip cutting style with QC pizza. Squares I get (and prefer), pie cuts I get.

I lived in the Quads for 2 years in the 90's and went to the original Harris location a few times. I never understood the uproar over it quite frankly. It was "merely OK", but not the orgasmic best pizza ever rep it seems to have.
Do you think it would be in 3 national publications if it were cut in slices or squares. No. It would not. It's brilliant.

I'm always amused by the haters who get pissed off about the toppings being underneath the cheese, as if it f***ing matters. The moment you put it in your mouth, everything is all jumbled together anyway.

If you don't like the taste then you don't like the taste. But bitching about the toppings being under the cheese is just stupid.

It’s to make it easier to chew for people with meth mouth. With the QC customer demographic, it was a natural step for the entire region to go that direction.

There is a QC style pizza place in Des Moines. Owned by a guy that used to work at Harris. Hometown Pizza.

Awful pizza...nowhere near as good as Harris. Barely any sauce, and overpriced to boot.

If I'm ever in the Quad Cities region (unlikely), I'll try Franks (unless there's someplace better I should go)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT