ADVERTISEMENT

Quad-City Sen. Neil Anderson threatens violence on Illinois Senate floor over bathroom bill

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
– A state senator’s statement that the just passed gender-neutral restroom bill will bring violence “from dads like me” has been denounced.

During last week’s debate on HB 1286, which sets standards for multi-user gender-neutral bathrooms, State Sen. Neil Anderson (R-Moline) said there would be violence if the bill made it into law.

Advertisement

5-12-21-Anderson-portrait-w-flag-11x14-1-scaled-1.jpg
State Sen. Neil Anderson (R-Moline)
“Under this, I can’t see what the floor to ceiling things,” said Anderson. [My daughter] won’t be able to see who’s in there. I won’t be able to see who’s in there. I’m telling you right now, if a guy walks in there, I’m gonna beat the living piss out of them. So this is gonna cause violence. And it’s gonna cause violence from dads like me.”

A few of his colleagues cheered the statement

That statement brought an immediate response from State Sen. Mike Simmons (D-Chicago), the senate’s only out LGBTQ member.

“There is no reason for anybody in this chamber to threaten violence if we pass this legislation,” he said. “Living in an era where we have seen people exacting violence on public officials and in centers of government, I take personal offense to anybody who would say that if we pass a piece of legislation, that you would go out and beat somebody up.”

Advocacy groups AIDS Foundation Chicago, Equality Illinois, and Pride Action Tank also condemned the senator’s remarks.

“This bill has been the subject of so much disinformation and violence, including threats of physical harm against Rep. Stuart earlier this year and transphobic violence advocated by a state senator during debate Thursday. This violent language is appalling and emblematic of what trans and gender-expansive people experience in their daily lives,” the groups said in a statement.

The Chicago Tribune published an editorial calling on Anderson to apologize for the statement.

“A legislator saying they planned to beat up a fellow citizen, apparently on no greater matter than having walked into a restroom, is stunning, and clearly encourages violent behavior,” the newspaper’s editorial board wrote.

“Anderson should take to the floor and apologize. On pain of expulsion.”

As of Monday afternoon, neither the Senate GOP Caucus or the state Republican Party had issued any statement on Anderson.

Reactions: BelemNole
Anderson fits right in with the residents of his district. An area seeing economic decline amidst a rapidly changing cultural landscape looking for someone to blame.

• Sad
Reactions: hawkdave007
Wouldn’t that be grounds for removal from office in Tennessee? Maybe he should be forced to take decorum lessons from horse face.

Why are gender neutral bathrooms so difficult for people to understand. Each stall is actually a room with a full door. The sinks are universal and the lay out is often open so people would be protected from violence. These people live in fear of being attacked. How do they have so many fvcking enemies?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT