ADVERTISEMENT

Quad City Weather Bubble in full effect

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
Ts and Ps to those in areas impacted by severe weather across Iowa tonight.

Our defenses are currently holding:

D2660460-C9-F2-4-BF1-8-BB4-18811-A1-EE162.jpg

Reactions: Moral
It really is insane. I have loved and followed weather (severe weather in particular) my whole life and have seen this happen incredibly often. I have NO IDEA what specifically could be at play, but something sure seems to protect the QC area more than not.

It really is insane. I have loved and followed weather (severe weather in particular) my whole life and have seen this happen incredibly often. I have NO IDEA what specifically could be at play, but something sure seems to protect the QC area more than not.

Dumb luck and paying more attention to your location than other locations

Higher concentration of Thoughts and Prayers than the surrounding area, of course.

Reactions: iahawks10
Not sure what this means.....LOL!!

I was speaking of your referencing that it seems like something is keeping storms away from QC.

In reality a bunch of other locations could say the same things -- but you don't notice them.

There is no scientific explanation. Effectively dumb luck.

I know there's no real science behind it, but anecdotally, it sure seems like Clinton and Muscatine get the brunt of the more severe weather. Its been that way as long as I can remember.

The CR weather bubble was out in force yesterday. The morning cell skirted the metro almost entirely, jogging east as it hit the metro.
OP, just be careful what you post. Ol’ bagdropper posted the above, and a few weeks later CR was hit by an inland hurricane-strength derecho that turned out to be the costliest storm in US history.

Last edited:
Reactions: haw-key
I know there's no real science behind it, but anecdotally, it sure seems like Clinton and Muscatine get the brunt of the more severe weather. Its been that way as long as I can remember.
Always seems like Jo Davies county in Illinois gets all the storms too

I was hoping for some serious rain today. Damn you QC Weather bubble

I 80, I 74, I 280 axis creates a heat shield. It's like the I 80- 380 interchange that blocks all the severe weather over in our neck of the woods.

I was speaking of your referencing that it seems like something is keeping storms away from QC.

In reality a bunch of other locations could say the same things -- but you don't notice them.

There is no scientific explanation. Effectively dumb luck.
The river runs east to west here. That’s my theory. 🙂

Reactions: z_ape
I 80, I 74, I 280 axis creates a heat shield. It's like the I 80- 380 interchange that blocks all the severe weather over in our neck of the woods.
The river runs west to east here. The River Valley is wide and deep. The pressure fronts approach the river and the fronts weaken and evaporate, then reform ten miles east. If you ever get a chance to go the Putnam museum, you will see a model of the topography of the area, and it makes instance sense.

The river runs west to east here. The River Valley is wide and deep. The pressure fronts approach the river and the fronts weaken and evaporate, then reform ten miles east. If you ever get a chance to go the Putnam museum, you will see a model of the topography of the area, and it makes instance sense.
It's east-to-west, isn't it?

I lived in the QC area in 87-89. On more than one occasion I heard stories of Indian Legend and the bend in the river affecting storm tracks.

Muscatine always seems to get severe weather. I think they have had like 2 or 3 tornadoes in the past few years.

Eh... not even sure what you mean by "pressure fronts" -- cold fronts or warm fronts? -- but it certainly doesn't cause them to dissolve.

People have been saying stuff like this forever, and there just isn't anything to it.

Eh... not even sure what you mean by "pressure fronts" -- cold fronts or warm fronts? -- but it certainly doesn't cause them to dissolve.

People have been saying stuff like this forever, and there just isn't anything to it.

You are a thief of joy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT