ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the hopeful types….

Delusions of grandeur. You terrorize no one. Good day. And
you mad big sean GIF

I know, that’s why I know I will no longer have to worry about you responding to me at all😂

My struggle has been, internally I think I’ve decided I don’t care if we go on a massive losing streak… I find myself upset that I feel that way because I’ve loved watching this team play since I was 11 years old….

But the constant bitching has me feeling like many of us feel about Nebraska fans….many of these guys are undeserving of a solid. And yes I do get to feel that way and I actually do feel bad about it (hence the convoluted question) but after working it out….

Yes I will take solace if this team starts sucking because some of these cats….I honestly wish their favorite team lost 12 games a year for 10 years… I’ll tell you this, they’ll appreciate seven and five when it comes around the next time 😂😂
what would be funnier to me is: watch the hawks in 2024 be exactly the same as before!! same as bf. same as 2003. same as 2009. groundhog day: every day digruntled iowa fan wakes up to the same thing, over and over. it is torture to them! like bill murray rolling out of bed every day, hitting the alarm clock, and bingo: bf tim lester GDGD just went 2 for twelve on third down conversions and lost to michigan.... again!!!

You don’t feel like, based on résumé’s, that Johns was a better choice?

Explain to me why I should have an opinion on that ?

Then I’d like you also to explain to me what would make me qualified?

And then, lastly, I’d like you to explain to me how it would improve the quality of my life….?

If you answer those questions, I’ll actually go back and put a little effort into breaking it down and, I didn’t… I started reading the John thread and saw so much ****ing negativity. I decided to get out of it 😂 and then we got Lester instead…

Classic Iowa fan shit right there….

True story, my buddy sends me a text about, John’s being our next OC, and that it was a done deal… And I said, how do you feel about this, and he says it doesn’t really move the needle, and I said, how does the message board feel about it because I hadn’t been there he says what do you think they don’t like it….

And that in a nutshell, is this message board and why it is such a ****ing grind…:

You honestly can’t make this shit up… it’s a cesspool!

what would be funnier to me is: watch the hawks in 2024 be exactly the same as before!! same as bf. same as 2003. same as 2009. groundhog day: every day digruntled iowa fan wakes up to the same thing, over and over. it is torture to them! like bill murray rolling out of bed every day, hitting the alarm clock, and bingo: bf tim lester GDGD just went 2 for twelve on third down conversions and lost to michigan.... again!!!

lol….actually, yes, that would be awesome!!!

We either need a lot more creative scheme or a solid uptick in talent on offensive side of ball. Some combination of the two would also work.

What is frustrating is over the past three years we saw a decline in talent (injuries, defections, lack of development) AND an even MORE conservative play calling. The perfect storm.

I realize we won 10 games (actually 11 with the Minny robbery), but we were flat out embarrassing vs elite teams. It’s like playing crazy easy golf courses and peacocking because you are shooting 73 every time. When you play a real course reality sets in.

I just don’t want to be afraid on offense. The play not to lose is hard to swallow. We don’t need an air raid offense but I am worn out from the past 3 years. I hope the new OC can being just enough creativity and optimism to change this dynamic.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I just don’t want to be afraid on offense. The play not to lose is hard to swallow. We don’t need an air raid offense but I am worn out from the past 3 years. I hope the new OC can being just enough creativity and optimism to change this dynamic.

Detroit agrees…..as my son says, if it works, you were right, if it doesn’t you were wrong….

People are so results oriented they can’t honestly evaluate things and since they really don’t have any real skin in the game…they convince themselves they lose games because of a coaching style….never able to realize they have won games for it as well.

Eventually winning 9-10 games isn’t enough. Its who you beat and then it’s how u beat them and then it’s you should never lose…..

The only thing that resets those expectations is losing…a lot. Thats why it’s good for every team to fall if the map for awhile.

It’s also why we all have to have life struggles…sadly…

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendy hawk

And then, lastly, I’d like you to explain to me how it would improve the quality of my life….?

If you answer those questions, I’ll actually go back and put a little effort into breaking it down and, I didn’t… I started reading the John thread and saw so much ****ing negativity. I decided to get out of it 😂 and then we got Lester instead…

True story, my buddy sends me a text about, John’s being our next OC, and that it was a done deal… And I said, how do you feel about this, and he says it doesn’t really move the needle, and I said, how does the message board feel about it because I hadn’t been there he says what do you think they don’t like it….

And that in a nutshell, is this message board and why it is such a ****ing grind…:

As a fan, who pays attention. You can have an opinion. What makes you qualified is having the ability to look at the stats, records, offensive numbers, and make an educated thought control your brain into your fingers, onto the screen. Your opinion won’t change the quality of life, the hire could have potential in making fall Saturdays a bit more enjoyable or less enjoyable, but in no way should make anyone miserable

Supporter of the team/school...still doesn't mean you should

Read these boards 'qualified' isn't a requirement and it isn't mutually exclusive to having an opinion

I don't believe that it does.
Side question - How does attacking the perpetually negative improve the quality of your life? And I enjoy the 'just to 'f' with the uneducated' perspective.

Reactions: cmhawks99
you mean winning one instead of going to indy and getting smoked? well, now with all the pac 12 schools around, doubtful anywho. I'm telling you: the goal is 7 or 8 minimum and a bowl. that's obvious. getting to the champ game now and then: bonus. are they even playing that game still or did it go away like many other conferences did??

getting ten wins now and then? a rare bonus. but fun when it happens. having a sec school blow us out with the second and third string? oh yeah, that's in our future. I guess we can all "settle" with being "tight end U" and a great D. maybe an O-line every now and then.

I know what the OP is talking about: I used to really want to be number one all the time. I finally hit my mid 50's and realized it was not going to happen. maybe with a new head coach, maybe. doubtful. I realized it was just fun to watch what happens on the field. minnesota crap game tick me off? you bet. Tennessee? yes. but I had a blast. drank beer and smoked BBQ meats. the michigan game was like " meh". I think people need to chill a little, just have fun and watch football. I'm going to be cheering for Kittle in the SB. If KC wins, great for them and taylor swift. good job.
I don't understand the "well shucks, we're just little ole Iowa" attitude. Iowa has been kicking ass with their defense for the last 3 years and have been the 3rd or 4th best team in the league through that span. There are multiple times that Iowa would have been in a conference championship game even if there were no divisions. It isn't a miracle that Iowa makes it that far. They aren't going to compete every season, but to say it will never happen isn't giving credit where it is due. And I still say if Iowa had played OSU in November of 2002 Iowa wins that game. They were unbeatable during that run that season.

As a fan, who pays attention. You can have an opinion. What makes you qualified is having the ability to look at the stats, records, offensive numbers, and make an educated thought control your brain into your fingers, onto the screen. Your opinion won’t change the quality of life, the hire could have potential in making fall Saturdays a bit more enjoyable or less enjoyable, but in no way should make anyone miserable

Just so I understand, you’re saying I can look at the numbers and I would be just as qualified as a head coach to pick a candidate ?

As for being miserable….have you read this board? These are comments from happy people…?

To be fair to you, I know you’re honestly far from a constant bitcher but seriously….

I’m beginning to wonder about a few things….

I’m equally qualified to pick a new OC as any football coach, just by his numbers and you think people on here are happy when they are throwing tantrums…

Supporter of the team/school...still doesn't mean you should

Read these boards 'qualified' isn't a requirement and it isn't mutually exclusive to having an opinion

I don't believe that it does.
Side question - How does attacking the perpetually negative improve the quality of your life? And I enjoy the 'just to 'f' with the uneducated' perspective.

Touché on all those….nicely done.

And it definitely does not improve my quality of life. Being brutal honest, which is a rarity in here…doh! It’s not good to be negative and that includes me…

So blowing off steam, purposely being an ass, etc…is not a good decision long term. And I don’t particularly like that version of me…..

But I do make exceptions, for special friends…😉

Just so I understand, you’re saying I can look at the numbers and I would be just as qualified as a head coach to pick a candidate ?

As for being miserable….have you read this board? These are comments from happy people…?

To be fair to you, I know you’re honestly far from a constant bitcher but seriously….

I’m beginning to wonder about a few things….

I’m equally qualified to pick a new OC as any football coach, just by his numbers and you think people on here are happy when they are throwing tantrums…
I said you are qualified to have an opinion

I said you are qualified to have an opinion

Well, I’m qualified to have an asshole too…🤷‍♂️

I definitely don’t think you want me making decisions on the football team and I know I don’t want you or anyone else in here making them either.

Well, I’m qualified to have an asshole too…🤷‍♂️

I definitely don’t think you want me making decisions on the football team and I know I don’t want you or anyone else in here making them either.
What about having an opinion in a situation that seems this obvious

I think a lot of this is just a sign of the times. Everything is amped up. We are either high or low.
Well……rest assured…

@Legs94 @MeetTheFerentzes @RollingBallofButcherKnives @Gonzo Bloor @the24fan @BonzoFury @IowaMuse

Will all be here, nashing their teeth, throwing bombs, and bringing down the board IQ all spring & summer long!!!
Oh, I know. It will be threads about the same things over and over. I'll be going camping and enjoying the serenity of the outdoors. Gonna make a much bigger effort to go more often this summer and wet the line a lot more often too.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What about having an opinion in a situation that seems this obvious

See….thats the point. It’s obvious, no need for me to weigh in. Once again the dumb ass coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes knows less than the fans…

F-Ing Kevin Johns dodged a major bullet coming here….

Kudos to him

I can’t speak for everyone but in my case what frustrates me the most is having a championship quality defense to go with an inept offense. KF knew how bad the offense was under Brian yet refused to do what was necessary to improve it. He put family before the team. 10 wins was his favorite come back knowing damn well how much better it could have possibly been had the offense had a pulse. Every thing thrown at Kirk is deserved and I’d be ok with him gone.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you just want to watch games without any deeper discussions or opinions then maybe you shouldn't be on a message board.

I know plenty of people that do just that.

A message board used to be a water cooler, a cafe, or a tavern.

I can’t speak for everyone but in my case what frustrates me the most is having a championship quality defense to go with an inept offense. KF knew how bad the offense was under Brian yet refused to do what was necessary to improve it. He put family before the team. 10 wins was his favorite come back knowing damn well how much better it could have possibly been had the offense had a pulse. Every thing thrown at Kirk is deserved and I’d be ok with him gone.
Oh jeez, you just made the list….

Reactions: denmar81
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you just want to watch games without any deeper discussions or opinions then maybe you shouldn't be on a message board.

I know plenty of people that do just that.

A message board used to be a water cooler, a cafe, or a tavern.

This is exactly the problem… Those places eventually if a guy complained so damn much it got irritating they’d call him out or quit showing up to talk to him…

People need accountability for their actions….

Well….I look at it like this. Lincoln Riley I believe is a better coach than KF in almost every measurable statistic. And would’ve likely won at least two national championships if he could just figure out a better defense… Why do you think that is?

This is exactly the problem… Those places eventually if a guy complained so damn much it got irritating they’d call him out or quit showing up to talk to him…

People need accountability for their actions….
we drank in different bars I guess. All anybody ever did was bitch. Cubs, Hawks, Bears, Packers.... Never went to cafes much.

Reactions: ichawk24
we drank in different bars I guess. All anybody ever did was bitch. Cubs, Hawks, Bears, Packers.... Never went to cafes much.

Some Truth to that….but I don’t hang out with that at all anymore. And I definitely will point out in congruencies and that their complaints are the same everywhere, because it is…

Interestingly enough, Carter, my 19 year, do make fun of the stupid things the announcers, commercials etc throughout the game…

But that’s just us…

Reactions: Fan In Black
Supposed to be a huge population of cicadas this summer. Was reading about that recently. Love the sound of summer.

Serious question, it’s going to come off as just a poorly veiled jab and given my history that’s fair. But I’m seriously wondering how unusual I am as it pertains to my favorite team…..

Im not even sure I can make this sound the way I feel it…..🤷‍♂️

I’m a lifelong Iowa fan. I don’t really have any other team I’m terribly passionate about. I used to be a bit of a hater, meaning The Dukes and NDs of the world losing was important. But honestly none of that matters so much anymore…it’s a useless, shitty way to live anyway…

Long winded point withstanding, I have long said, I just want a coach who plays great D, understands how to identify great talent and win consistently…I really don’t care who it is.

But I am to the point, if we make a bad hire, I’m not sure I care if we F it up…the general negativity of these boards and fans in general anymore, have me to the point, I don’t think I care like I used to….

And it’s not our board, it’s all of them. I want to win, but it feels like a small consolation to watch these fanatics have to deal with the fallout….

I mean we make fun of Nebraska fans, but hell, anyone chasing off winning coaches in just another Nebraska fan….

So although I’d be pissed at first, is it goofy to find solace in those fans getting what they asked for?

I never thought I’d get to the day where other fans honestly ruin the games, but here I am.
Oh no, I’m pretty clever. More importantly I’m enjoying myself….😂
Which is it? Are you sitting back and enjoying the fact that people don't like the new hire or are you super sad because people voice their opinions? Maybe seeing a counselor would be a better fit than a message board?

Serious question, it’s going to come off as just a poorly veiled jab and given my history that’s fair. But I’m seriously wondering how unusual I am as it pertains to my favorite team…..

Im not even sure I can make this sound the way I feel it…..🤷‍♂️

I’m a lifelong Iowa fan. I don’t really have any other team I’m terribly passionate about. I used to be a bit of a hater, meaning The Dukes and NDs of the world losing was important. But honestly none of that matters so much anymore…it’s a useless, shitty way to live anyway…

Long winded point withstanding, I have long said, I just want a coach who plays great D, understands how to identify great talent and win consistently…I really don’t care who it is.

But I am to the point, if we make a bad hire, I’m not sure I care if we F it up…the general negativity of these boards and fans in general anymore, have me to the point, I don’t think I care like I used to….

And it’s not our board, it’s all of them. I want to win, but it feels like a small consolation to watch these fanatics have to deal with the fallout….

I mean we make fun of Nebraska fans, but hell, anyone chasing off winning coaches in just another Nebraska fan….

So although I’d be pissed at first, is it goofy to find solace in those fans getting what they asked for?

I never thought I’d get to the day where other fans honestly ruin the games, but here I am.
It is not really hawkeye fans- it is the 10 % that post on here.

Honest question, are you drunk?
I'm not drunk, and my realistic take on things has been interpreted by some at times to be pessimistic.

With that said, why not be hopeful? Hope became a thing when Brian was eliminated from the equation. It's been tempered somewhat by this less than scintillating hire. That doesn't mean it's been dashed altogether.

Let's give the guy a season or two to see what he can do. It's going to be pretty obvious in short order whether he's much of an improvement or not. Iowa fans are so accustomed to horrific offense, given the shit that we've seen over the last few years. The lack of development. The lack of cohesion and obvious disorganization. It probably won't take long to see whether this guy is a significant improvement or not. I mean, how could he not be?

If not, then those of us who prefer a football team with a functional offense can watch something else or find another way to spend our Saturdays this fall. I'm putting together an Italian vacation for this fall so if the offense is still crap I probably won't care too much anyway. 🙃

Last edited:
I was a bigtime fan of old 1970's and 1980's bmx. I used to race. I collect old bmx bikes as a hobby. then we had a big message board. it was a vintage bmx board. we even had a big convention in rockford illinois every year. I went to rockford three times I think. I met a lot of guys in person and got to know them . nice guys. a lot of california and minnesota wisconsin indiana michigan, so on. that site was like this one: off topic, race, collecting. political in many ways.
some of the same bickering as we see here.

well, one time this guy here in austin, my friend, turned on me somehow. well, I suspect it was him. I think he was jealous of me somehow cause I used to get a lot of respect on that board. and I had this mentor who was here in austin always pumping me up, on that site, like a motivational speaker in real life, and he would do pump up things on the webz , it was kind of fun... anyway the jealous guy is no longer my friend. that was like junior high stuff, so childish. but some of the midwest guys in minnesota started telling me I disliked them and said things behind their back. I did not, but somebody emailed them and told them that. oh well, I know I did not, I suspect who did it, but that board is long gone. it went away somehow.
not really missing it. but learned at that time the interwebs is full of crazy people , doing things behind the scenes. Oh, also, the vintage gaming thing , since I am from ottumwa, twin galaxies and stuff, I know for a fact certain things are being said and done behind the scenes and the webs don't reflect actual facts.

so I learned the webz and the people doing things behind the scenes... are not for me to dwell upon. I suppose this board could go away some day. would we miss it?
How old are you ? I'm originally from down around Lovilia, Iowa.

Some Truth to that….but I don’t hang out with that at all anymore. And I definitely will point out in congruencies and that their complaints are the same everywhere, because it is…

Interestingly enough, Carter, my 19 year, and I do make fun of the the announcers, commercials etc throughout the game…

OP needs a diary

Self righteous poster who spends more time here than anyone else. It's kind of sad actually

Prove that…..on a side note, in order to call someone self righteous you have to make a judgement, placing yourself above the judgee, making yourself more important and therefore self righteous…

People always seem to miss that…😊

Which is it? Are you sitting back and enjoying the fact that people don't like the new hire or are you super sad because people voice their opinions? Maybe seeing a counselor would be a better fit than a message board?

Ok…incidentally everyone should see a counselor. One of the things you’ll learn, is people who bitch consistently have a higher image of self-worth…

Which can be good, and can also be bad as you can imagine….🤷‍♂️

😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT