ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the hopeful types….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
Serious question, it’s going to come off as just a poorly veiled jab and given my history that’s fair. But I’m seriously wondering how unusual I am as it pertains to my favorite team…..

Im not even sure I can make this sound the way I feel it…..🤷‍♂️

I’m a lifelong Iowa fan. I don’t really have any other team I’m terribly passionate about. I used to be a bit of a hater, meaning The Dukes and NDs of the world losing was important. But honestly none of that matters so much anymore…it’s a useless, shitty way to live anyway…

Long winded point withstanding, I have long said, I just want a coach who plays great D, understands how to identify great talent and win consistently…I really don’t care who it is.

But I am to the point, if we make a bad hire, I’m not sure I care if we F it up…the general negativity of these boards and fans in general anymore, have me to the point, I don’t think I care like I used to….

And it’s not our board, it’s all of them. I want to win, but it feels like a small consolation to watch these fanatics have to deal with the fallout….

I mean we make fun of Nebraska fans, but hell, anyone chasing off winning coaches in just another Nebraska fan….

So although I’d be pissed at first, is it goofy to find solace in those fans getting what they asked for?

I never thought I’d get to the day where other fans honestly ruin the games, but here I am.

• Haha
Reactions: pmtdc and peacehawk
this OC hire is exactly what I figured would happen. always get 7 or 8 wins minimum, play great D, go to bowl every year. blah blah. same old stuff. that's a very consistent KF for you.

nobody ever really thought Iowa would be like alabama and georgia suddenly with an OC hire, did they?

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Serious question, it’s going to come off as just a poorly veiled jab and given my history that’s fair. But I’m seriously wondering how unusual I am as it pertains to my favorite team…..

Im not even sure I can make this sound the way I feel it…..🤷‍♂️

I’m a lifelong Iowa fan. I don’t really have any other team I’m terribly passionate about. I used to be a bit of a hater, meaning The Dukes and NDs of the world losing was important. But honestly none of that matters so much anymore…it’s a useless, shitty way to live anyway…

Long winded point withstanding, I have long said, I just want a coach who plays great D, understands how to identify great talent and win consistently…I really don’t care who it is.

But I am to the point, if we make a bad hire, I’m not sure I care if we F it up…the general negativity of these boards and fans in general anymore, have me to the point, I don’t think I care like I used to….

And it’s not our board, it’s all of them. I want to win, but it feels like a small consolation to watch these fanatics have to deal with the fallout….

I mean we make fun of Nebraska fans, but hell, anyone chasing off winning coaches in just another Nebraska fan….

So although I’d be pissed at first, is it goofy to find solace in those fans getting what they asked for?

I never thought I’d get to the day where other fans honestly ruin the games, but here I am.
Yeah, you might consider abandoning this board if it affects you that much. Find another source of Iowa info? Some people like the opposing view and the discussion. Others, such as yourself, only want like minded discussions. Neither is wrong. To each his own. I don’t know where you would have to look to find what you are looking for….

this OC hire is exactly what I figured would happen. always get 7 or 8 wins minimum, play great D, go to bowl every year. blah blah. same old stuff. that's a very consistent KF for you.

nobody ever really thought Iowa would be like alabama and georgia suddenly with an OC hire, did they?
Not really, but maybe a legitimate shot at a conference title?

Journaling Dear Diary GIF by Ryn Dean

Not really, but maybe a legitimate shot at a conference title?
you mean winning one instead of going to indy and getting smoked? well, now with all the pac 12 schools around, doubtful anywho. I'm telling you: the goal is 7 or 8 minimum and a bowl. that's obvious. getting to the champ game now and then: bonus. are they even playing that game still or did it go away like many other conferences did??

getting ten wins now and then? a rare bonus. but fun when it happens. having a sec school blow us out with the second and third string? oh yeah, that's in our future. I guess we can all "settle" with being "tight end U" and a great D. maybe an O-line every now and then.

I know what the OP is talking about: I used to really want to be number one all the time. I finally hit my mid 50's and realized it was not going to happen. maybe with a new head coach, maybe. doubtful. I realized it was just fun to watch what happens on the field. minnesota crap game tick me off? you bet. Tennessee? yes. but I had a blast. drank beer and smoked BBQ meats. the michigan game was like " meh". I think people need to chill a little, just have fun and watch football. I'm going to be cheering for Kittle in the SB. If KC wins, great for them and taylor swift. good job.

I am obviously on the optimistic side and I also consider myself a realist. OP I think you are quite a bit like myself. Have experienced enough things in life that people complaining ad nauseum about trivial stuff just doesn't bring me down. They won't talk me out of supporting the team and the coaches and going to games and enjoying the entire day on game day from start to finish. There were fans that showed up back in the day when the Hawks were way worse than this and they had to make much more effort to get there. I am optimistic and will give the new OC a chance to get in and get stuff rolling. Our OL will be much improved with Proctor. We are stacked at RB and TE. Hope Cade can remain healthy and have more than 2 seconds to throw.

This football stuff is a fun diversion from real life. Real life interrupts on game days at home at the end of the 1st quarter and is a big time reminder of what is important and what is not. Football obviously stresses some people out way more than it ever should.

Let's go Hawks!

I am obviously on the optimistic side and I also consider myself a realist. OP I think you are quite a bit like myself. Have experienced enough things in life that people complaining ad nauseum about trivial stuff just doesn't bring me down. They won't talk me out of supporting the team and the coaches and going to games and enjoying the entire day on game day from start to finish. There were fans that showed up back in the day when the Hawks were way worse than this and they had to make much more effort to get there. I am optimistic and will give the new OC a chance to get in and get stuff rolling. Our OL will be much improved with Proctor. We are stacked at RB and TE. Hope Cade can remain healthy and have more than 2 seconds to throw.

This football stuff is a fun diversion from real life. Real life interrupts on game days at home at the end of the 1st quarter and is a big time reminder of what is important and what is not. Football obviously stresses some people out way more than it ever should.

Let's go Hawks!
this. I used to work every saturday. that sucked. had no way of watching games. had to see highlights later that day or on sunday. lately my schedule changed { well I changed it, I own the darn company} now I got my saturdays, and I usually have other stuff happening besides football, but make a few hours for the hawks. the point is: we have lives outside hawk football.

Reactions: AlvySinger

I agree with what you‘re saying.
At this point I’d honestly just be satisfied with KF making decisions that don’t make the program look like a joke.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Honest question, are you drunk? Who here is clamoring for a top 20 OC? Also, a top 20 OC does not cost 5-6 million.
Lol are you stupid? Yes!

Rees, Ludwig and Grubb were brought up quite a lot.

So you have no idea but like to bitch. Got it.

Reactions: Legs94
Lol are you stupid? Yes!

Rees, Ludwig and Grubb were brought up quite a lot.

So you have no idea but like to bitch. Got it.
Ludwig and Grubb were not brought up in this thread. Honestly, I'm not sure what you are trying to get across at this point, outside of being a giant douche, which appears to be par for the course with the rest of your posts.

Can someone decipher what the question was?
I think he was sort of saying, "so what if we hire an OC that eff's up and we lose, so what?" but it sort of sounded like, "so what if we hire a head coach that loses". to me it sounded that way, anyway. and I know KF isn't gone. and then he was commenting on how negative this board is. which it is. I don't go to other boards much. I bet there are some real winners and whiners out there.

Ludwig and Grubb were not brought up in this thread. Honestly, I'm not sure what you are trying to get across at this point, outside of being a giant douche, which appears to be par for the course with the rest of your posts.
some of the fans and the posters here wanted to hire an NFL head coach who wins and wins the superbowl and is don shula or jimmy johnson or somebody, and wins the big ten and national champ game every year. of course that is crazy talk.

• Haha
Reactions: AlvySinger
The choice has been made. All we can do now is give Lester a chance to show us what he can do with the offense. No point on dwelling about it now as it won't change anything. Iowa has a shot at being a special team next year if Lester can get the offense going. Let's hope he can do this. There is no point on being negative about this until he shows he can't do anything with the offense.

Yeah, you might consider abandoning this board if it affects you that much. Find another source of Iowa info? Some people like the opposing view and the discussion. Others, such as yourself, only want like minded discussions. Neither is wrong. To each his own. I don’t know where you would have to look to find what you are looking for….

Not true…at all… nor does anyone who has really conversed & heard what I said, thinks that. You should be embarrassed, that you believe different views is the same as ranting, raving and throwing 12 year old fits…

I hope you honesty aren’t so out of touch you believe that….**** if you’d read what I said at all you’d know, I’m ok with a new coach….

Some if you are truly sad…

Not true…at all… nor does anyone who has really conversed & heard what I said, thinks that. You should be embarrassed, that you believe different views is the same as ranting, raving and throwing 12 year old fits…

I hope you honesty aren’t so out of touch you believe that….**** if you’d read what I said at all you’d know, I’m ok with a new coach….

Some if you are truly sad…
Quite honestly I don’t read into what you post much. I don’t have to. It really is the same stuff over and over. I am simply questioning you if it is so bad here, why do you put yourself through it?

it used to be a fun diversion. 13-10 games and having no chance to upset an elite teams is not fun.

I have the perspective that this is entertainment..just like a lot of optimists. I don't live or die with winning or losing. I don't play or coach for them or have family on the team.

The current product is not fun to watch.

Message board fans are generally negative. True everywhere. I’m sure there is a positive correlation with post count and having nothing else going in your life. So these people are more likely to take things personal and be more vocal about their (awful) opinions. It’s fine to be involved and care about the games, but at a certain point it’s unhealthy and neurotic and these people are more likely to hang out on these forums.

True for modern politics as well.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
it used to be a fun diversion. 13-10 games and having no chance to upset an elite teams is not fun.

I have the perspective that this is entertainment..just like a lot of optimists. I don't live or die with winning or losing. I don't play or coach for them or have family on the team.

The current product is not fun to watch.
I will admit it: beating {barely} northwestern and the huskers is kinda fun to watch, even minnesota game was blast to watch, besides the call of course... I had fun this yr

I think he was sort of saying, "so what if we hire an OC that eff's up and we lose, so what?" but it sort of sounded like, "so what if we hire a head coach that loses". to me it sounded that way, anyway. and I know KF isn't gone. and then he was commenting on how negative this board is. which it is. I don't go to other boards much. I bet there are some real winners and whiners out there.

It was a bit convoluted, because in all honesty, I really didn’t know how to say what I was trying to say… but you get it and understand this board…

Constant bitching is NOT a different view. The buffoons try to make themselves feel better by “pretending” they “just” have different views…

In a nut shell I feel bad that I honestly don’t care if we change coaches and suck for 5 years because I am so tired of the posters that use this board to act like bratty, entitled children and then go …

“What, what, …..dur…..it’s just a different view, I didn’t do anything……”

I don’t care who our coach is… But they better be really good at developing talent and more importantly l, identifying it, because we are never going to attract 10 plus 4 stars per year…..

I feel bad that I don’t care, but I guess I don’t. I’ve always wanted to win, win, win….but these people take a sporting event so personal, they become gross human beings.

And then pretend like it’s no big deal…doh

If we could attach their actual names to it and broadcast it to their bosses, employees, business associates…

It would definitely be a big deal….

And because I can typically predict their rebuttals… Yes, you are right. I also should be embarrassed but here’s the difference. I have told many peoples in many settings that I have a tendency to get carried away sometimes if I do too much message board reading because I can’t stand the constant pissy ass negativity, and I have yet to not have somebody shake their head and say yes I know it’s awful…..

We don’t like you…. And it’s not your differing view it’s because you’re ****ing children.!

It was a bit convoluted, because in all honesty, I really didn’t know how to say what I was trying to say… but you get it and understand this board…

Constant bitching is NOT a different view. The buffoons try to make themselves feel better by “pretending” they “just” have different views…

In a nut shell I feel bad that I honestly don’t care if we change coaches and suck for 5 years because I am so tired of the posters that use this board to act like bratty, entitled children and then go …

I don’t care who our coach is… But they better be really good at developing talent and more importantly l, identifying it, because we are never going to attract 10 plus 4 stars per year…..

I feel bad that I don’t care, but I guess I don’t. I’ve always wanted to win, win, win….but these people take a sporting event so personal, they become gross human beings.

If we could attach their actual names to it and broadcast it to their bosses, employees, business associates…

And because I can typically predict their rebuttals… Yes, you are right. I also should be embarrassed but here’s the difference. I have told many peoples in many settings that I have a tendency to get carried away sometimes if I do too much message board reading because I can’t stand the constant pissy ass negativity, and I have yet to not have somebody shake their head and say yes I know it’s awful…..

We don’t like you…. And it’s not your differing view it’s because you’re ****ing children.!
Agree to disagree. The offense has been a diseased limb that needs replaced, but instead of a bionic leg. We keep getting peg legs

Reactions: Legs94

I was a bigtime fan of old 1970's and 1980's bmx. I used to race. I collect old bmx bikes as a hobby. then we had a big message board. it was a vintage bmx board. we even had a big convention in rockford illinois every year. I went to rockford three times I think. I met a lot of guys in person and got to know them . nice guys. a lot of california and minnesota wisconsin indiana michigan, so on. that site was like this one: off topic, race, collecting. political in many ways.
some of the same bickering as we see here.

well, one time this guy here in austin, my friend, turned on me somehow. well, I suspect it was him. I think he was jealous of me somehow cause I used to get a lot of respect on that board. and I had this mentor who was here in austin always pumping me up, on that site, like a motivational speaker in real life, and he would do pump up things on the webz , it was kind of fun... anyway the jealous guy is no longer my friend. that was like junior high stuff, so childish. but some of the midwest guys in minnesota started telling me I disliked them and said things behind their back. I did not, but somebody emailed them and told them that. oh well, I know I did not, I suspect who did it, but that board is long gone. it went away somehow.
not really missing it. but learned at that time the interwebs is full of crazy people , doing things behind the scenes. Oh, also, the vintage gaming thing , since I am from ottumwa, twin galaxies and stuff, I know for a fact certain things are being said and done behind the scenes and the webs don't reflect actual facts.

so I learned the webz and the people doing things behind the scenes... are not for me to dwell upon. I suppose this board could go away some day. would we miss it?

Last edited:
Quite honestly I don’t read into what you post much. I don’t have to. It really is the same stuff over and over. I am simply questioning you if it is so bad here, why do you put yourself through it?

Sigh and yet here you are responding to me… There is nothing you just said that is true with that said I feel quite liberated, I realize… I really don’t care who the coach is if we get better that’s a plus for me if we lose 50 games over the next five years, I’m OK with that too….

Fans, like you will definitely have something to complain about 😂😂😂

I may or may not be here to terrorize you. But you won’t care, you’ll keep responding to me, and trying to say anything you hope will frustrate me, but you won’t really care….

Doh…..😂😂😂😂

Have a good day…I truly hope you get what you wish for 🤓

Agree to disagree. The offense has been a diseased limb that needs replaced, but instead of a bionic leg. We keep getting peg legs

As I said, new coach, we win at least as much….Im happy, if we turn into Nebraska, I’ve decided I can live with that too….”those” fans will get what they asked for….

And I’ll chuckle…

Sigh and yet here you are responding to me… There is nothing you just said that is true with that said I feel quite liberated, I realize… I really don’t care who the coach is if we get better that’s a plus for me if we lose 50 games over the next five years, I’m OK with that too….

Fans, like you will definitely have something to complain about 😂😂😂

I may or may not be here to terrorize you. But you won’t care, you’ll keep responding to me, and trying to say anything you hope will frustrate me, but you won’t really care….

Doh…..😂😂😂😂

Have a good day…I truly hope you get what you wish for 🤓
Delusions of grandeur. You terrorize no one. Good day. And
you mad big sean GIF

As I said, new coach, we win at least as much….Im happy, if we turn into Nebraska, I’ve decided I can live with that too….”those” fans will get what they asked for….

And I’ll chuckle…
You don’t feel like, based on résumé’s, that Johns was a better choice?

Reactions: Niko13
I was a bigtime fan of old 1970's and 1980's bmx. I used to race. I collect old bmx bikes as a hobby. then we had a big message board. it was a vintage bmx board. we even had a big convention in rockford illinois every year. I met a lot of guys in person and got to know them . nice guys. a lot of california and minnesota wisconsin indiana michigan, so on. that site was like this one: off topic, race, collecting. political in many ways.
some of the same bickering as we see here.

well, one time this guy here in austin, my friend, turned on me somehow. well, I suspect it was him. no longer my friend. but some of the midwest guys in minnesota started telling me I disliked them and said things behind their back. I did not, but somebody emailed them and told them that. oh well, I know I did not, I suspect who did it, but that board is long gone. it went away somehow.
not really missing it. but learned at that time the interwebs is full of crazy people , doing things behind the scenes. Oh, also, the vintage gaming thing , since I am from ottumwa, twin galaxies and stuff, I know for a fact certain things are being said and done behind the scenes and the webs don't reflect actual facts.

so I learned the webz and the people doing things behind the scenes... are not for me to dwell upon. I suppose this board could go away some day. would we miss it?

My struggle has been, internally I think I’ve decided I don’t care if we go on a massive losing streak… I find myself upset that I feel that way because I’ve loved watching this team play since I was 11 years old….

But the constant bitching has me feeling like many of us feel about Nebraska fans….many of these guys are undeserving of a solid. And yes I do get to feel that way and I actually do feel bad about it (hence the convoluted question) but after working it out….

Yes I will take solace if this team starts sucking because some of these cats….I honestly wish their favorite team lost 12 games a year for 10 years… I’ll tell you this, they’ll appreciate seven and five when it comes around the next time 😂😂

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT