ADVERTISEMENT

Question from a Pitt fan

Sorry about this, I don't get notifications on the panther-lair site from this board. The secondary has shown flashes it can be really good but needs to make sure it doesn't give up the big play. I don't write for our site or anything so this is my fan based opinion.

Cornerback: Avonte Maddox - Small but lightning fast. He is not a guy that Narduzzi would typically recruit because Duzz likes the big and strong corners for press man but I think he has shined a little light to Narduzzi that a guy like him can work in his system. He's a true sophomore who played plenty last year and is our most consistent corner. I believe he is among the leaders in passes defended in the country so far and he can run with absolutely anyone. He has already had a KR TD this season.

Cornerback: Lafayette Pitts - This is the guy that I think will be a big x-factor in how you guys do. He's a redshirt senior and has played a ton of games for us. He had an excellent freshman season and has just been wildly inconsistent since and just can't come close to that season. IMO, he is the weak link in the chain and just doesn't play the ball the best. He's been doing better this season, but I think his style is still very prone to PI and tends to not turn his head from what I've seen. I personally think if CJ is going to shred, it will be against Lafayette. But like I said, he's very inconsistent, so he could come out and play like a mad man.

Safety: Terrish Webb - I list TWebb because he is listed at top of the two deep. Our regular starter is Reggie Mitchell but he is injured and Webb played a really solid game against Akron. Webb is a Junior himself and has played plenty of football with us, and was a starter for a while, so it's not like it's just anyone going in there. Mitchell was expected to be an impact player on the defense, but we don't lose a crazy amount of talent with Webb. Pretty solid all around safety.

Safety: Jordan Whitehead - I list True FR Whitehead and not Pat Amara (they are listed as OR on the two deep) because last week when they were OR'd Whitehead might not have stepped off the field for more than one play the entire game. Whitehead is basically a physical freak. When you look at him, he looks like a kid that has been in a college conditioning program for 3 years already. He was the prize recruit of our last class, top recruit in PA, #75 recruit in the country, and it absolutely shows why through two games. He surpassed people with more experience than him to get on the field and after splitting snaps in the opener, he just looks like the kid you have to play. He is all over the field and can really hit, but his speed is what will wow you so far. You will probably hear his name a decent amount, I expect a big play or two out of him Saturday.
Appreciate the info Spudda. Have to say I always enjoy playing Pitt. Solid program and a really good fanbase to chat with.

If I had to guess, you may be on to something with Pitts (what a great name for a Pitt recruit). If there's one thing Tevaun Smith does well, it's draw PI. Smith is our best pure talent at WR. Has good but not great speed and excellent hands. He tends to draw a lot of attention from opposing D and without great speed he hasn't been open much. If Davis can find a way to get him lined up across from Pitts, that could be a nice exploitation.

Would love to hear a little more about the passing game. I like our secondary but am always concerned with teams that could find a way to exploit our use of LBs in pass coverage. Sounds like you guys might like to get your RBs out on the edge to catch some balls which would be a big issue for us imo (see Johnson, David of UNI last year for what happens when our LBs are covering capable RBs).

Appreciate the info Spudda. Have to say I always enjoy playing Pitt. Solid program and a really good fanbase to chat with.

If I had to guess, you may be on to something with Pitts (what a great name for a Pitt recruit). If there's one thing Tevaun Smith does well, it's draw PI. Smith is our best pure talent at WR. Has good but not great speed and excellent hands. He tends to draw a lot of attention from opposing D and without great speed he hasn't been open much. If Davis can find a way to get him lined up across from Pitts, that could be a nice exploitation.

Would love to hear a little more about the passing game. I like our secondary but am always concerned with teams that could find a way to exploit our use of LBs in pass coverage. Sounds like you guys might like to get your RBs out on the edge to catch some balls which would be a big issue for us imo (see Johnson, David of UNI last year for what happens when our LBs are covering capable RBs).

Yeah man definitely, I enjoyed the convo with the 247 Iowa fans and you guys are just as great.

It's weird, man. Going into the season, everyone was so high on the offense and the D was the big question mark, but so far the D has played pretty well and it's been a semi-bumpy transition to Jim Chaney's offense. We are basically living a QB controversy, which is never a good thing to have during the season. As of the entire second half of the Akron game, it seems Nate Peterman has taken the job from Chad Voytik. What's weird is Voytik was the starter and would start, play one series, then Peterman would come in for 2 series (Narduzzi said it was to get him reps that were actually meaningful and not in garbage time, which seems reasonablle), but the second game Voytik played one series after that and then never came back in. I will say personally Peterman probably does look better and I don't think this is a case where Peterman is Chaney's guy and he's trying to force him in. For background, Peterman is a transfer from Tennessee. What's interesting is that the class he was from is the same as Voytik. This is interesting because while Chaney was OC at Tennessee, he recruited Peterman from Florida over in-state Voytik (who was an Elite 11 QB in his backyard).

So we will say the guess is Peterman starts and plays the entire game barring unforeseen injury or terrible play. That takes away the running threat, as Voytik has some wheels on him and makes you respect that. The upgrade, however, is arm strength, as Peterman has a pretty good arm and has showed it with some pretty nice big time passes last week. Like I mentioned, to me, this new offense of Chaney's really likes to get the RBs to catch in space a lot more than our last OC. I don't know how well it's going to work yet, but like you said, there is a chance we can get mismatches with linebackers or corners on the edge against our big backs. We do have a really shifty slot guy that is a freshman that hasn't been utilitzed too much just yet but he might be in the bag of tricks and he will be one of the fastest guys on the field so if he gets a linebacker it's going to be a pretty decent gain.

In a lot of offenses, QBs use their running back or tight end as their security blanket. At Pitt, Tyler Boyd is the security blanket. Although my opinion is biased, I really think he may be the best WR in the country, there is no ball that is uncatchable for him. Both Voytik and Peterman have already targeted him more than anyone else and he only played in week 2. Tyler is going to get his so Iowa really just needs to make sure they don't give him more than necessary and almost play a little conservative. Voytik was very guilty of looking only at Boyd for several plays at a time and not even surveying, and the jury is still out on Peterman. Personally, I think Peterman is a little better at going through progressions and spreading the ball around to keep everyone on their toes.

Tight ends have had limited use previously but have two touchdowns on the year so maybe they are going to be a little more involved here. JP Holtz is a senior and Scott Orndoff is a junior and both are really solid tight ends and can block or catch. They are weapons and I think Coach Chaney realizes that and will give them a couple of looks against you, but nothing too crazy.

Here's the big question mark: receivers not named Tyler Boyd. Dontez Ford is the definite number two, but he had 2 catches total last year. What's worse is that he is the leading receiver returner as far as production beyond Boyd from last year. He's looked decent but nothing spectacular, and Pitt is probably going to play 4 or 5 different receivers in and see if someone steps up to take the load off of Boyd. Week 1 while he was suspended was the big chance and no one really went out and seized the opportunity. A lot of the kids are young and may come along as the season progresses though. This has gotten very lengthy so I will finish it with a point about what you said with the mismatches. There was a series in the last game Tyler was doubled on one play, and the next they shifted him to the slot. This brought a matchup with a linebacker like you were saying, and you can imagine how that went. I think we're going to get creative moving him around to give you different looks, so your DC needs to be ready to find him and make sure he gets a DB at all times. He will be playing on Sundays next year, a LB simply can't come close to keeping up with him, it's going to be a good gain every single time.

PS I hope they can keep Maddox on Smith at most times. What is his size? Like I said, Maddox is a very small guy but can really make plays.

if I remember correctly iowa lost to northern illinois and played a fairly poor bowl game against lsu that year

Neil-DeGrasse-Tyson-Shaking-His-Head.gif

I guess that makes some sense. Just hard to have that much clock control with only 300 total yds and 127 on the ground. Interesting. Thanks

Pitt's 2 main RB's averaged more yards/carry against Akron than Oklahoma's 2 main RB's (4.0 vs. 3.75), and Pitt played in a sloppy downpour while Oklahoma was a clear game. Remember that Oklahoma's primary RB is the player with the NCAA record 427 yards against Kansas last year and he gained only 33 yards on 11 carries, plus the Sooners' QB had a monster day so their running game should have been huge.

The Pitt-Akron contest was a weird game that lacked momentum, and Pitt left plenty of points on the field in the first half ... woulda coulda shoulda been a similar score as Oklahoma's 41-3 beatdown.

Does the greatest arm of all time come back to Pitt much anymore? And I'm not referring to Joe Flacco.

Pitt's 2 main RB's averaged more yards/carry against Akron than Oklahoma's 2 main RB's (4.0 vs. 3.75), and Pitt played in a sloppy downpour while Oklahoma was a clear game. Remember that Oklahoma's primary RB is the player with the NCAA record 427 yards against Kansas last year and he gained only 33 yards on 11 carries, plus the Sooners' QB had a monster day so their running game should have been huge.
I wouldn't go too much off of Perines numbers. Even against Tennessee he averaged under 3.5 yards per carry. That suggests to me that either there is a transition on the OL or else maybe the guy is dinged.

Anyhow the comparison game between two very different types of Os doesn't make much sense either.

At the end of the day, it was a game played under sloppy conditions. Through the game, Pitt had 2 drives that lasted over 7 minutes each. Thus, they essentially exhausted the equivalent of a quarter, and ended up only having 10 points to show for it.

Besides, not unlike Iowa, Pitt is a bit more of a ball-control team. Thus, that strategy tends to make more time off the clock. Thus, you can take off a lot of time from the clock without running too many plays.

Akron Vs Pitt game is on Watch ESPN. I just started watching it and put it in the corner of my screen

Akron Vs Pitt game is on Watch ESPN. I just started watching it and put it in the corner of my screen

The rain really was terrible that game, it was hard to do anything just constant downpour. As for the game we really limited them. They only threw for 63 yards and rushed for 47 and that's with a long run of 32 that they scored on. Our MLB Galambos filled the wrong hole and he is our weakest link for the LB corp and I'm sure you will exploit him this Saturday.

Our front four is playing very well and our NT Tyrique Jarrett will give you fits. He is a mountain of a man at 6'3 and 340. Our ends are smaller but have speed to burn. Rori Blair came back for the Akron game and was a terror. Juan Price is a RS Senior but has missed two full seasons due to injury and half of another. He is finally healthy and has good power rush moves and does decent against the run.

Our best LB is Nicholas Grigsby and he had two sacks the first game then was shut out in the last. He is very fast but is prone to mental mistakes, his brother is starting on the other side and is a big hitter with decent coverage skills. MLB is our weak link although we should see some play from sophomore Quintin Wirginis

Our secondary is improved and that's thanks to Narduzzi obviously and our DC Josh Conklin. We play the standard press quarters that MSU runs and Avonte Maddox though small is definitely a lockdown guy. Pitts had an impressive redshirt freshman year but has struggled mightily since then, he just doesn't turn around to play the ball.

We have been getting great pressure on the QB and have forced a few fumbles but have only recovered one and we haven't picked off a pass yet this year although we've come close a number of times.

I think if we create a few turnovers while protecting the ball then we should be able to turn this game into a coin flip. If we don't then I think Iowa wins by 7

Like I mentioned, to me, this new offense of Chaney's really likes to get the RBs to catch in space a lot more than our last OC. I don't know how well it's going to work yet, but like you said, there is a chance we can get mismatches with linebackers or corners on the edge against our big backs

oh boy. That has been a big problem for the Iowa defense over the last 2 years........ and just last week ISU's RB got one-on-one with Josey Jewel wide-open over the middle and caught a pass for a big gainer - no contest, he ran right past Jewel.

I hope Phil Parker is cooking-up a new scheme for Pitt.

Rain isn't that bad the first half. Pitt making a nice drive to end the half in hurry up offense. Scores a TD with a pass over the middle to the TE. 10-7 Pitt at half

Neither team looks particularly good. I will say it again. The rain is obviously a factor in the game but not making that big of a factor the first half.

oh boy. That has been a big problem for the Iowa defense over the last 2 years........ and just last week ISU's RB got one-on-one with Josey Jewel wide-open over the middle and caught a pass for a big gainer - no contest, he ran right past Jewel.

I hope Phil Parker is cooking-up a new scheme for Pitt.

Definitely something Jewell will work to improve on - however, in his defense, wasn't that the play where the walk-on track guy was lined up at RB? (Ryen - I believe)

He definitely should have attempted to detour the route as the guy was coming off of the line-of-scrimmage ... but in a foot race, of course a track guy is going to beat him. Furthermore, if it was the play with Ryen that you're talking about - I believe that was a new wrinkle that ISU added. Thus, if that is the case, it was something that hadn't shown up on the tape for him to have prepped for.

Does the greatest arm of all time come back to Pitt much anymore? And I'm not referring to Joe Flacco.

I once ran into Marino with his family on campus at the neighborhood's most notorious restaurant called The O, often referred to as The Dirty O. It's a low brow, high volume pizza/fries/wings/40's type of place with lots of neon signs and the worst bathroom this side of Trainspotting; basically it seemed odd to spot a rich, famous guy there, but it's an institution that carries a lot of nostalgic emotion for alum, apparently even Marino. Now this was around 1997, but it was the offseason (so he wasn't in town to play the Steelers), and I'm guessing he still comes back periodically simply because he grew up a few blocks off campus. Pittsburgh is the type of city that if you are from there or have any relatives there, it is a given that you will always have family there and will always have a reason to go back. You could say it attracts/traps those with Western PA roots.

He definitely should have attempted to detour the route as the guy was coming off of the line-of-scrimmage ... but in a foot race, of course a track guy is going to beat him. Furthermore, if it was the play with Ryen that you're talking about - I believe that was a new wrinkle that ISU added. Thus, if that is the case, it was something that hadn't shown up on the tape for him to have prepped for

you have to believe that opponents will use it until Iowa can stop it consistently. Several teams ran a RB vs. MLB iso play against Iowa last year. Johnson (UNI) and Coleman (iNdiana) had field days. If the Pitt fan's comments are true, you can expect Pitt to exploit that match-up at least a couple of times.

The RB doesn't need track speed either. Its a match-up nightmare if Jewell doesn't have help. The least Jewel can do is check the RB close to the LOS and hope the pass rush gets quick pressure on the QB to hurry a throw.

you have to believe that opponents will use it until Iowa can stop it consistently. Several teams ran a RB vs. MLB iso play against Iowa last year. Johnson (UNI) and Coleman (iNdiana) had field days. If the Pitt fan's comments are true, you can expect Pitt to exploit that match-up at least a couple of times.

The RB doesn't need track speed either. Its a match-up nightmare if Jewell doesn't have help. The least Jewel can do is check the RB close to the LOS and hope the pass rush gets quick pressure on the QB to hurry a throw.

Part of the problem last year was just inexperience and lack of recognition. This year, for the most part, I don't think that Iowa has been too bad at picking guys up out of the backfield. Besides, last year Alston was the starter at MLB. I'm willing to bet that Jewell is probably as fast, if not faster than Alston.

Part of the problem last year was just inexperience and lack of recognition. This year, for the most part, I don't think that Iowa has been too bad at picking guys up out of the backfield. Besides, last year Alston was the starter at MLB. I'm willing to bet that Jewell is probably as fast, if not faster than Alston.

I understand what you're saying and you could be right, but the ISU RB caught a pass for a gain of something like 40 yards just last week.

I understand what you're saying and you could be right, but the ISU RB caught a pass for a gain of something like 40 yards just last week.
I acknowledge that fact - however, as I indicated before, it was something new that Iowa State had added. A big part of defense is recognizing what you've already scouted of your opponent - and then taking care of your responsibility.

In the future, as Jewell gains more experience, he'll be able to better recognize that, even if he hasn't seen it on tape - and he'll disrupt the route. That is what he should have done first - disrupt the route so that the timing would be off - then run with the guy while he's in his zone.

If Pitt has already been utilizing the RB in the passing game, then Jewell will have seen it on tape - and he should be able to recognize it accordingly. That's not to say that he won't potentially get beat ... but, most of the time, he'll probably defend it well enough.

Reactions: icu81222
I want to hear about the quality of Pitts first 2 opponents and what that might tell us if anything. Don't really know much at this point
Join the club. Pitt's first 2 opponents stunk-little to be discerned about the Panthers from those 2 games except that we appear to play a much sounder, fundamental D which places a premium on pressing receivers and pressuring the QB. I suppose the other thing to mention is that we're waiting for a QB to assert himself. This will be Pitt's first real test. Looking forward to my second visit to Kinnick.

Join the club. Pitt's first 2 opponents stunk-little to be discerned about the Panthers from those 2 games except that we appear to play a much sounder, fundamental D which places a premium on pressing receivers and pressuring the QB. I suppose the other thing to mention is that we're waiting for a QB to assert himself. This will be Pitt's first real test. Looking forward to my second visit to Kinnick.

Maybe Pitt fans can answer this one for me ....

Through the first 2 games, it appears as though the Pitt O has hit on A LOT of big plays. Has that more been a result of superior play by Pitt's O, missed assignments by the opposing D, or some admixture of the two. If the last scenario is the answer - what is playing the bigger role in the admixture?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT