ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Willie The Brain

This, for all you architectural critics. Give it a rest.
Please enlighten us with your architectural criticism and help me understand why the giant concrete walls sticking above the adjacent grade could not accommodate some windows to allow natural daylight in a space that could benefit greatly from it.

Not only would it enhance the interior, but it would provide a much more interesting exterior façade from the most visible vantage point when driving by.

Reactions: vhsalum
So Michigan, Cornell and tOSU has a better room than Iowa, Penn State and Okie State ? Where have I been?
I would encourage you to Google image search the Michigan and Ohio State wrestling rooms and see what effective glazing can contribute to the overall design of a wrestling facility.

Cornell’s room also has daylighting, but is much smaller and not as impactful.

Minnesota’s room is small but is actually quite effective as well with their introduction of natural daylight and use a lighter color palette and colorful wall graphics to brighten up the space.

Last edited:
I was going to correct him but I just let it slide. I simply thanked him for his golden response. I just assumed he was posting from his retirement village in Oklahoma. Respect your elders yada yada... Yee Haw
Deliverance Dueling Banjos GIF

• Haha
Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Please enlighten us with your architectural criticism and help me understand why the giant concrete walls sticking above the adjacent grade could not accommodate some windows to allow natural daylight in a space that could benefit greatly from it.

Not only would it enhance the interior, but it would provide a much more interesting exterior façade from the most visible vantage point when driving by.
The egress windows staring at another concrete wall would have been lovely.

I would encourage you to Google image search the Michigan and Ohio State wrestling rooms and see what effective glazing can contribute to the overall design of a wrestling facility.

Cornell’s room also has daylighting, but is much smaller and not as impactful.

Minnesota’s room is small but is actually quite effective as well with their introduction of natural daylight and use a lighter color palette and colorful wall graphics to brighten up the space.
You’re missing my point. If recruits are so inclined to chase a wrestling room with natural light, how is it that the 3 best rooms in terms of recruits have a facility with no windows? In short, Iowa, Penn State and Okie State have rooms with NO windows and have the most talent in the rooms.

Why aren’t the best recruits flocking to Minnesota for the natural light.

Give it a rest. Better yet, don’t go in the room if you’re so desperate for natural light. Complaining about on a message board is a waste of time if you’re looking for a solution

The egress windows staring at another concrete wall would have been lovely.
I'm guessing you do not know how to read a building section or understand spatial relationships for high ceiling spaces like the wrestling room. Like I said before, the floor elevation of the wrestling room is below grade, but the exterior walls extend up another story above the adjacent grade where windows could have been incorporated above the wall mats without a need for window wells. See Ohio State's new room for example of glazing placed above the mats.

You’re missing my point. If recruits are so inclined to chase a wrestling room with natural light, how is it that the 3 best rooms in terms of recruits have a facility with no windows? In short, Iowa, Penn State and Okie State have rooms with NO windows and have the most talent in the rooms.

Why aren’t the best recruits flocking to Minnesota for the natural light.

Give it a rest. Better yet, don’t go in the room if you’re so desperate for natural light. Complaining about on a message board is a waste of time if you’re looking for a solution
Okie State has windows in their current room and still has an even more ambitious plan for their new facility as their latest effort to keep up in the facilities arms race. Penn State is the only program with the current level of success and results that they could wrestle in about any environment and remain extremely successful for the near future. You better believe though that if their brand lost some of its luster and they were no longer lapping the field, they would make more investments in their future facilities to address the limitations that currently exist in a facility built in a different era. They have the funds to do it too so when we have our opportunity to take our shot, I just think you leverage the impact to the max.

When your competition is investing in new facilities utilizing the same glazing that is standard and we wouldn’t accept otherwise in our homes or offices or other places we spend large amounts of time in, it may be worth exploring to make sure we are keeping up with modern design standards.

Sure, windows are not going to be the deal breaker for most, but it is one variable and if you are trying to regain the position as the premiere and most successful college wrestling program in the country, every single aspect of your program should look to be exceptional. Missing the easy layups is just not acceptable at this level in my opinion.

When recruits are going through their mental scorecard and comparing all the different variables of the top programs to select from, there are a lot of things that may sway someone, so you might as well attempt to cover all your bases, especially ones that would literally have zero downsides and so much upside. And for the current athletes, having a facility that is more enjoyable and conducive to peak training with statistically proven results, it seems like a no brainer.

Okie State has windows in their current room and still has an even more ambitious plan for their new facility as their latest effort to keep up in the facilities arms race. Penn State is the only program with the current level of success and results that they could wrestle in about any environment and remain extremely successful for the near future. You better believe though that if their brand lost some of its luster and they were no longer lapping the field, they would make more investments in their future facilities to address the limitations that currently exist in a facility built in a different era. They have the funds to do it too so when we have our opportunity to take our shot, I just think you leverage the impact to the max.

When your competition is investing in new facilities utilizing the same glazing that is standard and we wouldn’t accept otherwise in our homes or offices or other places we spend large amounts of time in, it may be worth exploring to make sure we are keeping up with modern design standards.

Sure, windows are not going to be the deal breaker for most, but it is one variable and if you are trying to regain the position as the premiere and most successful college wrestling program in the country, every single aspect of your program should look to be exceptional. Missing the easy layups is just not acceptable at this level in my opinion.

When recruits are going through their mental scorecard and comparing all the different variables of the top programs to select from, there are a lot of things that may sway someone, so you might as well attempt to cover all your bases, especially ones that would literally have zero downsides and so much upside. And for the current athletes, having a facility that is more enjoyable and conducive to peak training with statistically proven results, it seems like a no brainer.
I coached for a bit at a place that had windows in the room and I hated it. The kids would constantly be looking out of the windows, probably wishing they were anywhere but a hot room sweating their a$$ off.

You care about the windows, a lot. I don't care, at all and I don't think many people do. Your point has been made and you are obviously in this line of work, but give it a rest, please.

Is that with or without the dijon mustard? ;)

Not a fan of any sort of neobrutalism myself, but did no one see the plans/renderings for this ahead of time? That ship has sailed. At the end of the day, it's just another thing to hang on the coaches/program. Not helpful. Let's try to make the best of this. Function over form at this point.

Reactions: el dub
I'm guessing you do not know how to read a building section or understand spatial relationships for high ceiling spaces like the wrestling room. Like I said before, the floor elevation of the wrestling room is below grade, but the exterior walls extend up another story above the adjacent grade where windows could have been incorporated above the wall mats without a need for window wells. See Ohio State's new room for example of glazing placed above the mats.
That is so they can work on their tan's, not for natural lighting is what I heard.

Is that with or without the dijon mustard? ;)

Not a fan of any sort of neobrutalism myself, but did no one see the plans/renderings for this ahead of time? That ship has sailed. At the end of the day, it's just another thing to hang on the coaches/program. Not helpful. Let's try to make the best of this. Function over form at this point.
When mistakes are made, I think it is appropriate and productive to question what those were, and how to learn from, so they do not happen again and accountability can be applied consistently at all levels of the program. Blindly and silently accepting the status quo that has been leading to inferior performance and results, does nothing to regain position at the top.

Yes, natural daylight was always something discussed and in fact part of the original design but intentionally removed for reasons that have never been made public. I can’t think of a single competent architect that would propose such a design solution with the opportunity for free and inexhaustible natural daylighting literally on the other side of the newly constructed walls. Cast a few rough openings in the walls and install some new glazing and problem solved and this never even had to be an issue to deliberate and try and find justification to an obvious misstep. But that didn’t happen and the deliberate decision to remove daylighting from the design is one more example of decisions seemingly being made in a vacuum or echo chamber far removed from the outside world where valuable information and experts in their fields are readily available.

If Iowa strives to be the benchmark for college wrestling again, that high standard to execute every single intentional act to the highest level and give yourself the best chance for success should be adhered to and when those standards are not met, those mistakes should be addressed and not just swept under the rug.

I think it is counterproductive to state everything is fine and blindly support every decision being made if the results are not backing up the claim that we are doing everything properly to get back on top. You don’t catch up to Penn State by failing on the easy steps of the process.

When mistakes are made, I think it is appropriate and productive to question what those were, and how to learn from, so they do not happen again and accountability can be applied consistently at all levels of the program. Blindly and silently accepting the status quo that has been leading to inferior performance and results, does nothing to regain position at the top.

Yes, natural daylight was always something discussed and in fact part of the original design but intentionally removed for reasons that have never been made public. I can’t think of a single competent architect that would propose such a design solution with the opportunity for free and inexhaustible natural daylighting literally on the other side of the newly constructed walls. Cast a few rough openings in the walls and install some new glazing and problem solved and this never even had to be an issue to deliberate and try and find justification to an obvious misstep. But that didn’t happen and the deliberate decision to remove daylighting from the design is one more example of decisions seemingly being made in a vacuum or echo chamber far removed from the outside world where valuable information and experts in their fields are readily available.

If Iowa strives to be the benchmark for college wrestling again, that high standard to execute every single intentional act to the highest level and give yourself the best chance for success should be adhered to and when those standards are not met, those mistakes should be addressed and not just swept under the rug.

I think it is counterproductive to state everything is fine and blindly support every decision being made if the results are not backing up the claim that we are doing everything properly to get back on top. You don’t catch up to Penn State by failing on the easy steps of the process.
Jesus Christ..

hates windows

oh, yeah. i think you meant P4P in hs rankings. he was 1 or 2 (or both) at some point.

i think he's going to be great. very productive. he's just difficult to assess. wrestled basically 2 or 3 meaningful matches a year. and there's weight uncertainty. so i hedged a bit.

i mean, at the present time, his entire resume is built on matches at 165 or less and by all indications he's going to be wrestling 184. it's just hard to know what that looks like. but ultimately/eventually, i'm sure he'll be productive regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT