ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Willie The Brain

Have you ever been to other program’s wrestling facilities that have natural daylight? Honest question. I’m guessing not a single person who has been in facilities with daylighting has viewed it as a negative, but the alternative has already been commonly stated and pointed out by those who see the missed opportunities.

What color are the panties you're wearing today?

Bob,
Forget the ski lights! Probably to much glare anyways.
Can we get a disco ball though, could be a nice addition, you know a little throw back, a nice attraction for those new recruits that are on the fence.
Oooh maybe a few of those warped mirrors also, those are always good for laugh to break the monotony of those so-called wrestling practices.

Bo isn't going to be a 125 pounder. There isn't much to rest your hat on if recruiting an elite prospect like Bo who will wrestle something above 125.
I am not sure I would call Askren non-athletic. I agree with you to a point. TnT would not have had much to offer an athlete such as Askren, as far as development goes. If he was lacking conditioning or toughness, then maybe.
I said he wrestles TnT style, not weight class. Askren was nit as athletic as many D1 athletes, and admitted in a documentary he was very weak in the weight room, so much his freshman year at Missouri it was embarrassing for him.

Bob,
Can we get a disco ball though, could be a nice addition, you know a little throw back, a nice attraction for those new recruits that are on the fence.
Oooh maybe a few of those warped mirrors also, those are always good for laugh to break the monotony of those so-called wrestling practices.

Can't lie. Disco Ball would be pretty sick.

• Haha
Reactions: TNTwrestle
I appreciate this response. That's how it's done.

The missed opportunity is our lack of development, disinterest in recruiting, etc. The facility is fantastic.
That's better. Get back to the matter at heart.

FIRE BRANDS!!

i kid... sorta.

• Haha
Reactions: tom_v31
For all you bitches:
Hey Bob any chance we can cut a few ski lights in that concrete structure with the nice new roof, asking for a few dumbasses???
Is there really that much sunlight in an Iowa City winter? If anything, seeing the outside is more depressing. What happens when the skylights are covered by snow?

A WRESTLING ROOM DOESNT NEED AND SHOULDNT HAVE LIGHTS

Is there really that much sunlight in an Iowa City winter? If anything, seeing the outside is more depressing. What happens when the skylights are covered by snow?

Then why is any new college wrestling facility that has a moderate to higher budget including them except for Iowa? What is the possible downside to including natural light and checking all boxes that could appeal to recruits and bring statistically proven benefits?

The University does not typically permit skylights due to water intrusion concerns but traditional sidewall glazing could have easily been done here and would have performed well no matter the season with proper glass selection and even daylight sensors connected to shading devices so it is dummy proof and even lowers ongoing utility costs with reduced electric lighting required.

Reactions: hlstone and vhsalum

Woah. I don't know what kind of wrestling you're referring to, but I strongly prefer at least SOME lighting for MOST of the wrestling I speak about on this forum.

Then why is any new college wrestling facility that has a moderate to higher budget including them except for Iowa? What is the possible downside to including natural light and checking all boxes that could appeal to recruits and bring statistically proven benefits?

The University does not typically permit skylights due to water intrusion concerns but traditional sidewall glazing could have easily been done here and would have performed well no matter the season with proper glass selection and even daylight sensors connected to shading devices so it is dummy proof and even lowers ongoing utility costs with reduced electric lighting required.
You realize the room will have lights, right?

Should we knock down majority of the arenas in the country that don’t have natural light?

This is just silly and there isn’t a recruit in the world that is looking to a room with natural light.

The 3 best rooms in the country do not have natural light.

I appreciate this response. That's how it's done.

The missed opportunity is our lack of development, disinterest in recruiting, etc. The facility is fantastic.
100% i can only hope those are being addressed. We hear that it is but we dont ever really hear how.

Reactions: Gabe582 and vhsalum
What the freak is a dual? Do you mean duel? I wish you’d make a little more sense and thought when you write a post, especial when it appears you’re attacking me. I’m not sure though, I don’t speak gibberish. Go pokes!
I don't post often, but this is too hilarious to pass up. I guess tom thinks we should turn the duals (wrestling meet with two teams) into a duel (with swords and/or pistols). And he criticizes the guy who got the spelling right! One word - MORAN!!! (And if you have to ask the difference between a moran and a moron, you don't belong here.)

Should we knock down majority of the arenas in the country that don’t have natural light?

This is just silly and there isn’t a recruit in the world that is looking to a room with natural light.

yes they do.

Michigan
Cornell
tOSU

I am aware that there will be light fixtures within the facility. You realize there are windows that allow for natural daylight to be utilized and mainstream technology to utilize both effectively and efficiently. Light sensors connected to building controls that dims or shuts off lights when ample natural daylight present and also connected in with window shading to have it be automatic and dummy proof?

Again, no downside to incorporating natural daylight and so much to gain. Which newer facility has chosen to omit windows from the design except for Iowa? Penn State has no windows in current facility but likely will when they build a new one but other major players do (Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Cornell, Minnesota, Rutgers, proposed Iowa State, UNI and Illinois new facilities, Nebraska, Lehigh, UNC to name a few).

Last edited:
I don't post often, but this is too hilarious to pass up. I guess tom thinks we should turn the duals (wrestling meet with two teams) into a duel (with swords and/or pistols). And he criticizes the guy who got the spelling right! One word - MORAN!!! (And if you have to ask the difference between a moran and a moron, you don't belong here.)
You got me. I even looked it up before hand. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: TarpHawk
Bob,
if the new room gets a disco ball i'm going to Iowa to be the Recruiting Director free of charge.

I am aware that there will be light fixtures within the facility. You realize there are windows that allow for natural daylight to be utilized and mainstream technology to utilize both effectively and efficiently. Light sensors connected to building controls that dims or shuts off lights when ample natural daylight present and also connected in with window shading to have it be automatic and dummy proof?

Again, no downside to incorporating natural daylight and so much to gain. Which newer facility has chosen to omit windows from the design except for Iowa? Penn State has no windows in current facility but likely will when they build a new one but other major players do (Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Cornell, Minnesota, Rutgers, proposed Iowa State, UNI and Illinois new facilities, Nebraska, Lehigh, UNC to name a few).
Maybe we wanted to be different, to stick out more in a recruit’s memory after multiple visits.😉

I was going to correct him but I just let it slide. I simply thanked him for his golden response. I just assumed he was posting from his retirement village in Oklahoma. Respect your elders yada yada... Yee Haw

if the new room gets a disco ball i'm going to Iowa to be the Recruiting Director free of charge.
If they get a disco ball, and you go there with bell bottom pants and dance like Danny to Andy Gibb music, I will personally donate $500 to the Iowa forum's favorite charity (can be school related). Must have video of act posted on this forum of at least 15 seconds to qualify. Look your best baby!

Ben Askren has proprioception and body awareness that is off the charts. He also had an amazing engine.

Just because he didn't try to beat you up like TnT, doesn't mean he wasn't an amazing athlete. The guy is a two time Hodge trophy winner and an Olympian. He's one of the most technically advanced wrestlers the NCAA has ever seen.
So u agree with me. I wasn't the clown who said he was unathletic. I said TnT would have nothing to offer an athlete like Askren if talking skill development. If Askren thought he knew everything he needed to know about wrestling skills, but could use improvement in toughness or conditioning the TnT might have something to offer.

tom is new around these parts. If anything fun was going on with the Okie State board, he'd be there instead.

I don’t think you comprehend just how far the wrestling area is underground.

pennywise it 2017 GIF
So u agree with me. I wasn't the clown who said he was unathletic. I said TnT would have nothing to offer an athlete like Askren if talking skill development. If Askren thought he knew everything he needed to know about wrestling skills, but could use improvement in toughness or conditioning the TnT might have something to offer.
I was speaking about his general athleticism and strength. What part of this can’t you understand. He was a great innovative technician. He had to be to win that much.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I don’t think you comprehend just how far the wrestling area is underground.
No, I’m quite aware that the finish floor elevation is below grade, but that giant blank box with no windows sticking out of the ground facing the south and east intersection is the wrestling room and those walls extending above grade could easily accommodate windows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT