ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. in Peace.........Eric Montross

jasonrann

HR Legend
Apr 11, 2007
The big guy passed away yesterday from cancer after being diagnosed only nine months ago. He was 52. Yikes.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Tar Heel icon Eric Montross died from cancer on Sunday at the age of 52.

Carolina Athletics reports Montross passed surrounded by his loved ones at his home in Chapel Hill. His death comes nine months after he announced he had been diagnosed with cancer.

Montross was a towering figure in UNC basketball history. He played for coach Dean Smith from 1990-1994, starting at center for the Heels when they won Smith's second national championship in 1993.

He was then selected in the first round of the NBA draft by the Boston Celtics. He played nine seasons in the NBA.

After his basketball career ended, Montross returned to Chapel Hill and became a well-liked analyst on the Tar Heel Sports Network. He was a familiar voice on the network for 18 seasons.

Montross stepped away from his duties with Tar Heel Sports Network to focus on his battle with cancer this season.

Carolina Athletics released the following statement about the passing of Montross:

"Carolina Athletics, the Tar Heel basketball family and the entire University community are profoundly saddened and stunned by the loss of Eric Montross, one of our most beloved former student-athletes, at far too young an age. Eric was a great player and accomplished student, but the impacts he made on our community went way beyond the basketball court. He was a man of faith, a tremendous father, husband and son, and one of the most recognizable ambassadors of the University and Chapel Hill.

He helped the Rams Club secure scholarships for student-athletes, and as color analyst for the Tar Heel Sports Network he brought perspective, heart and humor to UNC fans near and far. Eric also became an ardent supporter of the Lineberger Center while in college and remained a leader in the fight against cancer throughout his life.

We extend our deepest condolences to Laura, his children and entire family, and his colleagues and friends. The number of people who loved Eric and were touched by him is immeasurable."

Outgoing UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz also released a statement:

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my good friend and Tar Heel legend Eric Montross. He was an incredible friend, a passionate leader and an inspiring advocate for our campus. His impact extended well beyond the court with his tireless support of the UNC Children's Hospital and his annual Father's Day basketball camp. We have lost a great Tar Heel, and Eric will be truly missed. Please keep Laura, Sarah, Andrew and Megan in your thoughts and prayers."

The big guy passed away yesterday from cancer after being diagnosed only nine months ago. He was 52. Yikes.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Tar Heel icon Eric Montross died from cancer on Sunday at the age of 52.

Carolina Athletics reports Montross passed surrounded by his loved ones at his home in Chapel Hill. His death comes nine months after he announced he had been diagnosed with cancer.

Montross was a towering figure in UNC basketball history. He played for coach Dean Smith from 1990-1994, starting at center for the Heels when they won Smith's second national championship in 1993.

He was then selected in the first round of the NBA draft by the Boston Celtics. He played nine seasons in the NBA.

After his basketball career ended, Montross returned to Chapel Hill and became a well-liked analyst on the Tar Heel Sports Network. He was a familiar voice on the network for 18 seasons.

Montross stepped away from his duties with Tar Heel Sports Network to focus on his battle with cancer this season.

Carolina Athletics released the following statement about the passing of Montross:

"Carolina Athletics, the Tar Heel basketball family and the entire University community are profoundly saddened and stunned by the loss of Eric Montross, one of our most beloved former student-athletes, at far too young an age. Eric was a great player and accomplished student, but the impacts he made on our community went way beyond the basketball court. He was a man of faith, a tremendous father, husband and son, and one of the most recognizable ambassadors of the University and Chapel Hill.

He helped the Rams Club secure scholarships for student-athletes, and as color analyst for the Tar Heel Sports Network he brought perspective, heart and humor to UNC fans near and far. Eric also became an ardent supporter of the Lineberger Center while in college and remained a leader in the fight against cancer throughout his life.

We extend our deepest condolences to Laura, his children and entire family, and his colleagues and friends. The number of people who loved Eric and were touched by him is immeasurable."

Outgoing UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz also released a statement:

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my good friend and Tar Heel legend Eric Montross. He was an incredible friend, a passionate leader and an inspiring advocate for our campus. His impact extended well beyond the court with his tireless support of the UNC Children's Hospital and his annual Father's Day basketball camp. We have lost a great Tar Heel, and Eric will be truly missed. Please keep Laura, Sarah, Andrew and Megan in your thoughts and prayers."
Damn

RIP. Too soon - now we're talking guys who were in college when I was in college.
No joke. I'm 53. That's insane.

The wife (no pic) lost one of her good friends a few months ago. She was 43 and has battled breast cancer for a while. She was in remission and going in for a regularly scheduled checkup and was having no issues. They found out her cancer had come back, she was gone in two months. Left behind a husband and two boys, 10 and 8.

F cancer is right.

At the Dance Marathon, they have the Power Hour in the last hour of the event, and part of that is a slideshow honoring the kids who passed in the last year at UIHC. Being through that was something I wont ever forget although I think my son has largely repressed it now.

I remember the families being stuck up there right now, at Christmas, for weeks at a time.

God give them some relief.

Reactions: jasonrann
No joke. I'm 53. That's insane.

The wife (no pic) lost one of her good friends a few months ago. She was 43 and has battled breast cancer for a while. She was in remission and going in for a regularly scheduled checkup and was having no issues. They found out her cancer had come back, she was gone in two months. Left behind a husband and two boys, 10 and 8.

F cancer is right.
Sorry to hear that. We've lost some HS classmates to cancer over the years and cancer took both my parents and a couple of my best friends' moms. F it all the way.

Reactions: jasonrann
One of my favorite Tar Heels of all time. Montross was a f'n warrior.

UNC 75 dook 73

62474c0282200b001943c839

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT