ADVERTISEMENT

Racism, Nationalism, or Just Bad Sports Journalism?

It is fine to have more discussion about one runner, that is something no one would dispute. McGee is going to be much more well known to the audience and she was the one that got clipped.

What I was curious about is if you know anything about the people you are accusing of possibly being racist or nationalist.
You said you don't, now I understand the initial question.

Thank you for the clarification
Again, AS I SAID IN THE OP, concentrating on the US runner doesn't raise any flags. Completely ignoring the other runner who is on the screen next to the US runner is simply bizarre - and does raise flags.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Well it's impossible to really know, obviously. Like everyone else is pointing out, likely the big, overwhelming contribution variable wise is the US focus of the broadcast.
I'm pretty sick of everybody hiding behind this, when I pointed that out in the OP.

Non-racists wouldn't hide behind such a lame excuse. They would at least think about the question, and consider the possibility.

Again, AS I SAID IN THE OP, concentrating on the US runner doesn't raise any flags. Completely ignoring the other runner who is on the screen next to the US runner is simply bizarre - and does raise flags.
It sounds like it is possible your own racism caused you to focus on the color of the skin of the fallen runner from Kenya. Would you have been equally concerned about the announcers lack of commentary towards fallen runner who was a white from Sweden?

What broadcast did you watch @What Would Jesus Do? ?

When watching the replay of the NBC primetime crew their coverage is much different--

This is what happened ( Just an FYI Winny is the Kenya runner, Cory is the American since you didn't know their names in the OP)

The play-by-play person Bill Spaulding says, we had a fall and I think it might be Winny Chebets and Cory McGee. ( This happens at 42:25 of the broadcast 2:03.05 race time) Then Bill says he thought it might have been Purrier and Kipyegon ( 42:33 broadcast 2:18.8 race time)
Bill comments about a faller in all the distance races thus far and says THEY are a long long way back. Also says it is such a shame
The analyst ( Tim Hutchins) comes in at this point and says no shame in falling, mentions falls in each race (43:03 2:49.2), and finishes with that he doesn't know if either woman has the wherewithal to make up the distance.
We have the bell for the last lap
The next mention is that " two women aspirations to be in the top 5 already fallen as they crashed to the track " 43:28 3:11.42
Next mention is after the race when Cory McGee is crying and Tim says you can see the anguish
Next mention 45:19 they show collision andBill says such a shame for, Winny Chebet and Cory Mcgee- As the camera goes back to a crying McGee, Bill says credit to her to finish but that has to be a heartbreak
This portion of broadcasts end at 45:33

I will hold my other questions which center around how pathetic it is for someone to lie in an attempt to make a point. The assumption is you watched another feed that I have not seen, and that feed will explain your original post that now looks like a complete fabrication.

Last edited:
Why Kenyan's dominate long distance running. (of course they'd get smoked in most quick twitch muscle sports, or anything where strength is a virtue)
I like when article plagerise 20 year old books

7c71bea07ca7725673c3ce9047afab479fa72aa5.jpg

Only if you're looking for a reason to be outraged.

Does anyone know who the Kenyan is? Was she a favorite? She's not america. THe other one is, your watching the american broadcast.

It's like complaining that the Iowa broadcast of a basketball game is focused on the fact Garza went 2 for 22 for and ignoring the fact the rutgers walk on went 0 for 1

When watching the replay of the NBC primetime crew their coverage is much different--

This is what happened ( Just an FYI Winny is the Kenya runner, Cory is the American since you didn't know their names in the OP)

The play-by-play person Bill Spaulding says, we had a fall and I think it might be Winny Chebets and Cory McGee. ( This happens at 42:25 of the broadcast 2:09.05 race time) Then Bill says he thought it might have been Purrier and Kipyegon ( 42:33 broadcast 2:18.8 race time)
Bill comments about a faller in all the distance races thus far and says THEY are a long long way back. Also says it is such a shame
The analyst ( Tim Hutchins) comes in at this point and says no shame in falling, mentions falls in each race (43:03 2:49.2), and finishes with that he doesn't know if either woman has the wherewithal to make up the distance.
The next mention is that " two women aspirations to be in the top 5 already fallen as they crashed to the track " 43:28 3:11.42
Next mention is after the race when Cory McGee is crying and Tim says you can see the anguish
Next mention 45:19 they show collision andBill says such a shame for, Winny Chebet and Cory Mcgee- As the camera goes back to a crying McGee, Bill says credit to her to finish but that has to be a heartbreak

I will hold my other questions which center around how pathetic it is for someone to lie in an attempt to make a point. The assumption is you watched another feed that I have not seen, and that feed will explain your original post that now looks like a complete fabrication.
tumblr_p56cjm8mV31vdujbco1_500.gif

It sounds like it is possible your own racism caused you to focus on the color of the skin of the fallen runner from Kenya. Would you have been equally concerned about the announcers lack of commentary towards fallen runner who was a white from Sweden?
I think so.

When you are looking at a screen that shows ONLY the 2 people who fell, and for a long time one of them is never mentioned - at all - that omission leaps out at you.

If I had still thought it worthy of a thread, I wouldn't have postulated racism as one of the reasons, though.

And, by the way, is it totally OK if the reason is nationalism? Have we already forgotten that we fought 2 world wars because of nationalism. Just because it's undersandable that US announcers on a US-focused broadcast would spend most of their time talking about US competitors, doesn't mean we should be cavalier about nationalism.

The play-by-play person Bill Spaulding says, we had a fall and I think it might be Winny Chebets and Cory McGee. ( This happens at 42:25 of the broadcast 2:09.05 race time) Then Bill says he thought it might have been Purrier and Kipyegon ( 42:33 broadcast 2:18.8 race time)

That is not the broadcast I watched. Your "lie" comment is both wrong and a bad look for you.

The fall came at 2:05 in the race. What you are describing is announcers many minutes later playing catchup.

That is not the broadcast I watched. Your "lie" comment is both wrong and a bad look for you.

The fall came at 2:05 in the race. What you are describing is announcers many minutes later playing catchup.
BUT THE WALK ON SHOT 0 FOR 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Why did you call her a blonde American? To point out that she was white? Are you racist against the blonde Jamaicans? That's how I took it.

Not sure what you're talking about...

Sifan Hassan, from the Netherlands, fell in her 1500 semi and came back to win her heat with a kick that will destroy everyone in the final. Didn't get to see the other semi.

^^^ This. ^^^

I’m not aware of any other fall in the Semifinals other than Hassan from the Netherlands. Amazing she was able to get up and with the race.

She ran out of gas in the final.

So what network did you watch the race @What Would Jesus Do?
If you didn't watch what I described how can you proclaim the announcers were playing catch up?

The fall actually started at 2:02.8, McGee went down at 2:03.3 I made a typing error in my post which is now corrected, please accept my apology.

Just for clarification

Here are screen grabs to verify the time of the fall.

1500.png

15002.png

Reactions: UKGrad93

I said I would wait to ask my questions as you may have watched a different broadcast. So when you provide the information requested I can either ask why you would lie or admit we watched different races.

That being said, I feel ok how I "look" in this thread , but thank you for your concern.

I like when article plagerise 20 year old books

7c71bea07ca7725673c3ce9047afab479fa72aa5.jpg
No, the article was pointing out the uniqueness of the Kenyan ability in long distance running and that recognizing such shouldn't be a taboo. They have little in common with the athletes this book focuses on but for their continent and dark skin.

So what network did you watch the race @What Would Jesus Do?
If you didn't watch what I described how can you proclaim the announcers were playing catch up?

The fall actually started at 2:02.8, McGee went down at 2:03.3 I made a typing error in my post which is now corrected, please accept my apology.

Just for clarification

Here are screen grabs to verify the time of the fall.

1500.png

15002.png
Thank you for having the decency to post some pics of these young women in their running tights.

For all the talk of racism in America I realized USA has the most diverse Olympic team. Our gymnastics team had white, black, and Asian. Yet the Chinese team only had Chinese. The Russian team only had Russians. I'm surprised the liberal left hasn't demanded on Olympic boycott with all these non segregated teams in attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT