ADVERTISEMENT

RAGBRAI announces new biking event in eastern Iowa

Dumb....if you are gonna drink, drink.....If you are gonna bike, bike.

F RAGBRAI
my guess is this is an admission its getting out of hand on ragbrai and this is a way of getting all drinkers and partiers to do this thing thus separating them out from ragbrai

There are several of these every month in towns all over the state. The group I ride with often posts of WhatsApp and gets together and bar hops.

Most are free because the bars draw a crowd and everybody drops plenty of money on booze and food.

You pay $55 and get a hat and drink specials?

You can get $3 tall boys and $3 mixed drink specials all the time on the high trestle trail around Slater and Madrid.

Better be a Fing sweet hat.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
my guess is this is an admission its getting out of hand on ragbrai and this is a way of getting all drinkers and partiers to do this thing thus separating them out from ragbrai
Lol, ragbrai is a shell of it’s former self. When I first started doing them(about 15 years ago) naked beer slides, wet t shirt contests, all kinds of debauchery. They’ve really cracked down on it. You’ll never eliminate the drinking aspect, unless Iowa decides to change the law and give people owis on bikes. But that would be a huge mistake, ragbrai is literally the only compelling reason for an outsider to visit the state(imo)

Lol, ragbrai is a shell of it’s former self. When I first started doing them(about 15 years ago) naked beer slides, wet t shirt contests, all kinds of debauchery. They’ve really cracked down on it. You’ll never eliminate the drinking aspect, unless Iowa decides to change the law and give people owis on bikes. But that would be a huge mistake, ragbrai is literally the only compelling reason for an outsider to visit the state(imo)
all I heard was it was getting crazier and crazier as the years went on. I did not know they cracked down. I moved away in 1987

all I heard was it was getting crazier and crazier as the years went on. I did not know they cracked down. I moved away in 1987
Maybe the fact it get’s larger every year is contributing to it “getting crazier” but imo it’s much more family friendly than it was.

I am a serious rider. Have done some tris and aqua bikes. Done 55 miles in 4 hours. thus my feelings towards it.

Reactions: haw-key
The average age this past year I would guess was 40+, some I road with guess as high as 45.

I didn’t see much crazy stuff but it was a damn good time.

Ragbrai is a great experience. Something for everyone. I had a low opinion of it until I tried it.
Three days will give you the experience.

I enjoy just chilling and talking to different people.

It’s like a pre retirement test. Need to find out if a Vodka Lemonade every morning around 9am will work for you.

Don't listen to these cranky old snobs. Ragbrai is as fun as ever and there is no way someone would not have a fantastic time. No matter how they want to ride...fast, slow, drunk, sober, early, late. Something for everyone.

More available rides is great news.

Don't listen to these cranky old snobs. Ragbrai is as fun as ever and there is no way someone would not have a fantastic time. No matter how they want to ride...fast, slow, drunk, sober, early, late. Something for everyone.

More available rides is great news.

This

I ride 2-3 times a week at a good clip so I can cruise through RAGBRAI and enjoy the fun. Your hot take on RAGBRAI is something, your sub-14mph average is another.

Yeah....Im sure thats on your overpriced road bike...not a heavy early 90s hybrid

They are the ones without any stories to tell, don't stop in the towns, eat just the granola bars they brought and complain about everything.
It’s like that at every big ride event. I ride 6Gap in Georgia where there is a broad spectrum of rider levels. Same with all the Gran Fondos.

Yeah....Im sure thats on your overpriced road bike...not a heavy early 90s hybrid
Cyclist fight!!!!!!!!

Ujvur.gif

I am a serious rider. Have done some tris and aqua bikes. Done 55 miles in 4 hours. thus my feelings towards it.

I’m just a recreational rider that also bikes 25 miles round trip to work once or twice a week in good weather. CSB time, I did 102 miles in 6.5 hours this past September. Your 13.75 average really isn’t impressive at all. Especially for a serious rider that has done “some Tris”. The real “serious” riders that I’ve ridden with did that 102 in about 5 hours.

As for this new ride. Good idea, bad execution. Way too expensive. The price starts ballooning once you hit June and you really don’t get much out of it other than a hat and some rider support. Rides like this should be in the $40-50 range which would include the swag(hat/T-shirt). Way too short. A ride like this that is advertised as a Ragbrai training ride should be in the 75 mile range. They can’t claim that it is short because of spring weather. Up here in Minnesota we have a one day 100 mile ride in early May and a two day 150 mile ride in early June. Plus others. Heck, the Bike MS ride in Iowa is mid-June and that has a 100 mile option.

I’m just a recreational rider that also bikes 25 miles round trip to work once or twice a week in good weather. CSB time, I did 102 miles in 6.5 hours this past September. Your 13.75 average really isn’t impressive at all. Especially for a serious rider that has done “some Tris”. The real “serious” riders that I’ve ridden with did that 102 in about 5 hours.

As for this new ride. Good idea, bad execution. Way too expensive. The price starts ballooning once you hit June and you really don’t get much out of it other than a hat and some rider support. Rides like this should be in the $40-50 range which would include the swag(hat/T-shirt). Way too short. A ride like this that is advertised as a Ragbrai training ride should be in the 75 mile range. They can’t claim that it is short because of spring weather. Up here in Minnesota we have a one day 100 mile ride in early May and a two day 150 mile ride in early June. Plus others. Heck, the Bike MS ride in Iowa is mid-June and that has a 100 mile option.

Do you ride on an early 90s hybrid that is basically a mtn bike? or an overpriced thin tire road bike?

Do you ride on an early 90s hybrid that is basically a mtn bike? or an overpriced thin tire road bike?

I can ride my fat on 4.8 tires that weighs more than your 90’s hybrid for 60 miles at 14mph on gravel and I’m about your age. You’re overestating your awesomeness - just say you’re an average rider.

Also, this is just a bar hop ride - which would be fun but they’re charging too much for it. I’d rather just throw a group ride together and have a go. The route is nothing special...plus they need to throw in Sutliff if that’s the loop they’re doing!

I can ride my fat on 4.8 tires that weighs more than your 90’s hybrid for 60 miles at 14mph on gravel and I’m about your age. You’re overestating your awesomeness - just say you’re an average rider.

Also, this is just a bar hop ride - which would be fun but they’re charging too much for it. I’d rather just throw a group ride together and have a go. The route is nothing special...plus they need to throw in Sutliff if that’s the loop they’re doing!

BS....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT