ADVERTISEMENT

RAGBRAI controversey: Man, this sure was hard to predict, lol

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
What a tool TJ is:

Operating entity for new cross-Iowa bike ride was launched more than a year before RAGBRAI director left his job
Tyler Jett, Des Moines RegisterPublished 4:01 p.m. CT Oct. 22, 2019 |Updated 4:38 p.m. CT Oct. 22, 2019

More than a year before he left his job, the former director of the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa helped start a nonprofit that is now operating his new, competing ride.

T.J. Juskiewicz's RAGBRAI alternative, Iowa's Ride, is organized under that nonprofit, the Iowa Festivals and Events Association, according to the ride's website.

An executive at Gannett Co., owner of both the Des Moines Register and the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, said Juskiewicz did not inform his bosses that he and his wife, Jodi Juskiewicz, were behind the nonprofit.

“T.J. never disclosed to us that he and his wife had formed the Iowa Festivals and Events Association," Gannett Chief Marketing Officer Andy Yost said in an email. "We have company policies in place that require our employees to avoid any activities that constitute a conflict of interest or any outside interests and associations that may interfere with their employment with our company or create the appearance of impropriety.”

Juskiewicz who left RAGBRAI on Oct. 14, has been president of the nonprofit since September 2018, according to filings with the Iowa Secretary of State's Office. Jodi Juskiewicz incorporated the nonprofit and serves as its director.

The Iowa Festivals and Events Association launched a two-day conference in Coralville on Tuesday.

In a statement posted Oct. 14 to RAGBRAI's social media accounts, Juskiewicz said he was splitting with RAGBRAI over the Register's coverage of racist tweets that Carson King, an Iowa State University football fan who raised about $3 million for the University of Iowa's children's hospital, wrote as a high school student.

Juskiewicz said RAGBRAI riders told him they were upset about the Register's coverage. He said he wanted to issue a statement distancing RAGBRAI from the Register, which is a separate entity, although both are owned by Gannett, but public relations officials directed him to stick to talking points.

He also announced the creation of Iowa's Ride, scheduled for July 19-25 — the same time as RAGBRAI.

The web domain for the Juskiewiczes' nonprofit was registered in April 2018, and Jodi Juskiewicz filed articles of incorporation five months later.

T.J. Juskiewicz compared his involvement with the Iowa Festivals and Events Association to other nonprofit boards he has sat on, such as the Iowa Sports Foundation.

“There’s nothing that I’ve done that’s wrong," he said. "I feel really good.”

According to its website, the Iowa Festivals and Events Association is a resource for organizers of large public gatherings. The association will feature events on iowafestivals.org for a fee. Memberships cost $49 for festival and event organizers, as well as cities, chambers of commerce and tourism organizations. Memberships for vendors and advertisements on the website cost $199.

The nonprofit announced in April its plans for the conference that began Tuesday. Tickets ranged from $169-$229. It also offered sponsorships for the conference that ranged from $1,000 to $15,000.

In addition to Juskiewicz, former RAGBRAI staffers Scott Garner and Andrea Parrott were scheduled to speak on panels at the conference, according to an agenda posted on the Iowa Festivals and Events Association website.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t understand what he did wrong? Can someone help me out here?
One year prior to quitting, he started a “non profit” company with the intention of starting his own competitive bike ride, while he was still gainfully employed by the company that runs a bike ride his new ride would compete with.

He then waited patiently for bad publicity directed at the Register and used that as an excuse to resign and then conveniently announce his new ride, which he publicized by using the existing RAGBRAI website and social media accounts (owned by his current employer), while attempting to siphon riders away from his employer’s ride by piously proclaiming his support for Carson King.

Basically, he used King and people’s anger at the Register as a wedge issue to try and destroy the entity that paid him and to set himself up as the king of Iowa summer rides, likely for a nice payday.

He is a self-serving scammer.

Jerry-Screen-Shot-2014-10-14-at-3-1024x634.png

I still don’t think the state has enough troopers to do two rides at once. Perhaps the national guard gets hired?

going to be very interesting. My guess is Register picks a central Iowa route similar to 2018 which was very popular with Ames Iowa City on route.

I think the Iowa Ride will be the big beard crowd and the Register ride will be the corporate ride because all the out of state companies that organize support for teams will stick with Register.

first shoe drops next month with new route announced.

Story didn’t seem right from the start.

Like that was your tipping point dude?

I still don’t think the state has enough troopers to do two rides at once. Perhaps the national guard gets hired?

going to be very interesting. My guess is Register picks a central Iowa route similar to 2018 which was very popular with Ames Iowa City on route.

I think the Iowa Ride will be the big beard crowd and the Register ride will be the corporate ride because all the out of state companies that organize support for teams will stick with Register.

first show drops next month with new route announced.
State police already announced they are working with RAGBRAI:

link

I hope they both fail. Bike riders that don't feel like they ever need to follow the traffic laws, yet bitch about automobile drivers all the time on public highways....despite the fact that MILLIONS of taxpayer money spent on bike only trails.

One year prior to quitting, he started a “non profit” company with the intention of starting his own competitive bike ride, while he was still gainfully employed by the company that runs a bike ride his new ride would compete with.

He then waited patiently for bad publicity directed at the Register and used that as an excuse to resign and then conveniently announce his new ride, which he publicized by using the existing RAGBRAI website and social media accounts (owned by his current employer), while attempting to siphon riders away from his employer’s ride by piously proclaiming his support for Carson King.

Basically, he used King and people’s anger at the Register as a wedge issue to try and destroy the entity that paid him and to set himself up as the king of Iowa summer rides, likely for a nice payday.

He is a self-serving scammer.

Do you have proof that he started the non profit with the intention to create another bike ride?

State police already announced they are working with RAGBRAI:

link

Your link doesn’t work. Regardless, I saw the spokesman on the TV the other day saying that they will consider all requests for assistance.

Ragbrai pays for half of the 18-20 troopers while the taxpayer pays for the other half. Kind of hard for the state patrol to play favorites when taxpayer dollars are used to fund their assistance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/3995594002

Gannett's lawyers apparently are friendlier than I am. Assuming this tool tj had a contract and non- compete or disclosures of complimentary employment as a condition precedent or requirement of being employed, I'd haul this Iowa Ride to court. Must be that Iowa nice thing :)

The Des Moines Register could report that the sky is blue and I wouldn't believe them at this point

What a shock that they would go hunting for dirt in this TJ guy....I guess that is what they consider journalism. They most certainly have not learned any sort of meaningful lesson about what they did.

Nice spin by the way. There could be all kinds of reasons he started that nonprofit non once it was established used it for this purpose.

I really don't care if they used the Carson King platform to leave. Guess what....most.other people won't give a shit either.

Someone started a company to compete with their old employer? Who gives a shit.

You know how TJ wouldn't have the chance to use the Carson King thing to his advantage? Don't be scummy dicks in the newsroom and go hunting for dirt on Carson King. Don't have an editor that approves the story and then defends it. Don't continue to employ that editor and dont continue to try and excuse your actions....and for God's sake stop trying to do the same damned thing to other people

Why not just come out and say it?: Gannett even continuing its sponsorship for many more years is iffy. Lets not pretend the DMR is some independent entity. We are talking about the publicly traded Gannett News Corp., which I understand merged or was acquired by some holding company who will look to squeeze costs even further. That is not a stable long term sponsor.

Nothing wrong with making it its own entity. He could have chose a better path.

Gannett's lawyers apparently are friendlier than I am. Assuming this tool tj had a contract and non- compete or disclosures of complimentary employment as a condition precedent or requirement of being employed, I'd haul this Iowa Ride to court. Must be that Iowa nice thing :)

No they are not friendly. They don't have a case

first shoe drops next month with new route announced.

I understand traffic barriers, but the less cops the better. They used to be cool, now they just ruin the entire ride.

I hope they both fail. Bike riders that don't feel like they ever need to follow the traffic laws, yet bitch about automobile drivers all the time on public highways....despite the fact that MILLIONS of taxpayer money spent on bike only trails.

Answer a couple questions for me.

Do you ride on bike trails? If no, continue to the next questions.

How do you know how many riders ride on trails only and NEVER disobey traffic laws?

What percentage of bike riders 'bitch about automobile drivers all the time on public highways'? If you have a legit answer, which I'm guessing you don't, where did you get your information?

Answer a couple questions for me.

Do you ride on bike trails? If no, continue to the next questions.

How do you know how many riders ride on trails only and NEVER disobey traffic laws?

What percentage of bike riders 'bitch about automobile drivers all the time on public highways'? If you have a legit answer, which I'm guessing you don't, where did you get your information?

And I knew people would try to pick a fight to this. I don't care. Ride your million dollar trails. I know for a fact that folks are not riding those trails in central Iowa and choosing to ride on 2 lane highways during rush hour. It creates a danger for all. And they don't get over. They think they own the road. It's not safe for anyone.

And I knew people would try to pick a fight to this. I don't care. Ride your million dollar trails. I know for a fact that folks are not riding those trails in central Iowa and choosing to ride on 2 lane highways during rush hour. It creates a danger for all. And they don't get over. They think they own the road. It's not safe for anyone.

How do you know this for a fact? NO ONE is riding central Iowa trails? No one? Can you link me the data on this?

While you're at it, link me the data that says how many are riding two lane highways or a percentage.

You've seen a few riders on the road and you want to bitch about it. The VAST MAJORITY of riders either stay off the roads entirely(pretty much every biker I personally know, myself included) or follow the laws of the road when they do.

Reactions: Rudolph
How do you know this for a fact? NO ONE is riding central Iowa trails? No one? Can you link me the data on this?

While you're at it, link me the data that says how many are riding two lane highways or a percentage.

You've seen a few riders on the road and you want to bitch about it. The VAST MAJORITY of riders either stay off the roads entirely(pretty much every biker I personally know, myself included) or follow the laws of the road when they do.

Get over yourself. JFC.

Where is your data on the vast majority?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT