ADVERTISEMENT

Ralph Nader: Support Rand Paul (Sort of)

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
This week, Ralph Nader returned to the political stage with a new book, Unstoppable, whose triumphant subtitle is The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State. To kick off his publicity tour, he has argued that liberals should "definitely" impeach President Barack Obama, abandon the "international militarist" Hillary Clinton, and instead embrace Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) as a possible leader of his dream coalition.

To what end? In the book, Nader writes that by marrying the Left with the libertarian Right, we can cut off government support for corporations and have "honest government," "fair taxation," and "more opportunity." Nader sees relatively low-hanging fruit in opposing "sovereignty-shredding global trade agreements, Wall Street bailouts, the overweening expansion of Federal Reserve power, and the serious intrusions of the USA PATRIOT Act against freedom and privacy." He also articulates loftier, if not fully fleshed out, aspirations to "push for environmentalism," "reform health care," and "control more of the commons that we already own."

Some liberal commentators, like Esquire's Charles Pierce and the American Prospect's Scott Lemieux, are dismissing Nader's vision as fantastical, since the Right will never join his progressive crusade. But Nader's vision should not be dismissed so quickly. He leads his book with concrete examples from the 1980s of when he put Left-Right coalitions together to stop an over-budget nuclear reactor project and to pass legislation to protect whistleblowers who uncover wasteful government fraud.

More recently, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.), and then-Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) joined forces to pass legislation auditing the Federal Reserve. Nader is correct that there are opportunities to build ideologically diverse coalitions and that coalition building is the key to getting most anything you want out of politics.

Read more here

Nader, that political savant who single handedly did more to harm the cases he claims to support than any R in history. There are certainly lessons to be learned from Nader.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Nader, that political savant who single handedly did more to harm the cases he claims to support than any R in history. There are certainly lessons to be learned from Nader.
Indeed. To steal from the original text I dismissed Nader as fantasmical years ago. He's the 22 percent on each side of the spectrum that would rather stand alone in the moonlight and bray like a jackass than actually solve something. 22 percent in the real world. About 40 percent on each side on this board.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by lucas80:

Indeed. To steal from the original text I dismissed Nader as fantasmical years ago. He's the 22 percent on each side of the spectrum that would rather stand alone in the moonlight and bray like a jackass than actually solve something. 22 percent in the real world. About 40 percent on each side on this board.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Nader shows an actual resolve to truly change conditions for the average citizen. When average-citizen partisans support these bought-off, wealthy, partisan, hack, lawyer-politicians, then those average citizens are the ones braying. You're being misled and taken advantage-of time after time. I think the 22% scares the rest because they're more committed to an actual change from the status quo.

Indoctrination, and general misinformation through partisan ideology, runs incredibly deep in this country's political ruse. Nader, I believe, is trying to challenge and eliminate the ruse's overall effectiveness. If more people don't break-away from their partisan worship, the conditions in this country and society will continue to benefit the corporate wealth and prosperity. They will obtain and maintain it through government force and whatever other means possible. And, they'll sell it to average citizens in the form of "This is GOOD for YOU! It must be because it's 'conservative' or 'liberal' policy." When it's neither.

Originally posted by strummingram:
Originally posted by lucas80:
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Nader shows an actual resolve to truly change conditions for the average citizen. When average-citizen partisans support these bought-off, wealthy, partisan, hack, lawyer-politicians, then those average citizens are the ones braying. You're being misled and taken advantage-of time after time. I think the 22% scares the rest because they're more committed to an actual change from the status quo.

Indoctrination, and general misinformation through partisan ideology, runs incredibly deep in this country's political ruse. Nader, I believe, is trying to challenge and eliminate the ruse's overall effectiveness. If more people don't break-away from their partisan worship, the conditions in this country and society will continue to benefit the corporate wealth and prosperity. They will obtain and maintain it through government force and whatever other means possible. And, they'll sell it to average citizens in the form of "This is GOOD for YOU! It must be because it's 'conservative' or 'liberal' policy." When it's neither.
Hog wash. By not adopting the lesser of two evils strategy you get the worst guy elected every time. Nader is as much to blame for the Iraq war, and the death of the Kyoto Protocol as Bush. If you want to be a revolutionary, get a real revolution behind you. Always act from a position of strength. The Nader experience exactly validates and informs my political philosophy. Get the power first, then make the changes. Imagine if Moses had just become pharaoh and freed the Hebrews. Much better for all.

Junior Bush's inauguration speech from January 2001 should be placed on Nader's tombstone. That was Nader's signature "accomplishment", since the 1970's. My biggest hope is he doesn't eff up the 2016 senate race in California.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT