ADVERTISEMENT

Ramos just retired.

It was January, 2011, I was at Rec Hall with my son to watch the PSU vs Iowa dual. There were a lot of young, talented guys competing that day, but none better than Tony Ramos. He gutted out an impressive, relentless 3-2 win over Andrew Long. Especially in his early years, one of my favorite non-Lions!
Story and photos found here for those interested:
https://gopsusports.com/news/2011/1...f_Sold_Out_Rec_Hall_Crowd.aspx?path=wrestling

Reactions: depelland
I wouldn’t say hate. People were definitely pissed off at him but can’t deny how awesome it was to have him in the black and gold. I think everyone has moved on and he’ll always be a Hawkeye.

I moved on when I saw the picture of him
embracing Brands after his second loss to Clark a few weeks ago.

Thank you for posting this interview!! Loved the openness, emotion in his voice and the respect he showed for our beloved Hawkeyes!! I was one of those who took his reaction to the Dennis match and immediately drop him down on the list of my favorite Hawks but interviews like this will help to move him up! And yes I realize he is not concerned with my thoughts.

Ramos was my Pops' favorite Hawkeye and seemingly favorite wrestler overall. Which was funny to my brother and me because he didn't really follow wrestling that closely . . . but when it came time for our annual family pick-'em contest for Nationals, it was all about Ramos with him. We still ask him each year if he's picking Tony.

Ramos was flawed like everyone else, but I'm grateful for so many great memories:

1. Taking out Long 3-2 in what I recall was TR's first year in the line-up.
2. Pinning Chris Dardanes for 3rd as a sophomore -- with Terry screaming at him to score -- and he did.
3. Knocking off Oliver as a sophomore in as big an upset as I can recall in recent years.
4.The heartbreaking loss to Stieber in the finals.
5. Giving Gulibon the big brother treatment in the dual match TR's senior year.
6. His incredible run at nationals his senior year; after looking mortal against Colon and others during the regular season, he eked out tough match after tough match at nationals: in the semis against Schopp, tied 1-1 late in the third, TR put Schopp on his back with just a few seconds remaining; and then in the finals, needing to ride out Graff in SV just to force another OT (and Tony was not a great rider), he put Graff on his back to end it.
7. His first run to make the world team.

There were more athletic guys out there, and I never loved the stare-down, but I always got the sense that Tony gave everything he had, without fail. We were lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Glad to see you've changed your mind on Ramos. In the thread I linked you said "...and he's best ignored."

For the record, "this board" is not of one mind.

Tony was a favorite for many while wrestling for Iowa.

When he lost to another Iowa guy (Dennis) in OTTs, he reacted like an immature kid, and unfairly criticized Brands. Brands took the high road, and over time, folks have gotten over it.

Nice cherry picking job though!

Agree with you. I think he reacted like a guy having to address a frustrating situation just after losing in his shot at the Olympic team. He seems to have always been a passionate competitor, so of course he's going to be emotional in that setting. I absolutely give the guy a pass. Good to see the main parties involved have put it behind them. Ramos had a great career and his obvious passion for the sport and competing was always very impressive.

Reactions: 24 so far
Ramos was flawed like everyone else, but I'm grateful for so many great memories:

1. Taking out Long 3-2 in what I recall was TR's first year in the line-up.
2. Pinning Chris Dardanes for 3rd as a sophomore -- with Terry screaming at him to score -- and he did.
3. Knocking off Oliver as a sophomore in as big an upset as I can recall in recent years.
4.The heartbreaking loss to Stieber in the finals.
5. Giving Gulibon the big brother treatment in the dual match TR's senior year.
6. His incredible run at nationals his senior year; after looking mortal against Colon and others during the regular season, he eked out tough match after tough match at nationals: in the semis against Schopp, tied 1-1 late in the third, TR put Schopp on his back with just a few seconds remaining; and then in the finals, needing to ride out Graff in SV just to force another OT (and Tony was not a great rider), he put Graff on his back to end it.
7. His first run to make the world team.

There were more athletic guys out there, and I never loved the stare-down, but I always got the sense that Tony gave everything he had, without fail. We were lucky to have him.

No, Graff put himself on his back trying to do a Tony Ramos. Problem for Graff was...he wasn't good at it. True story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT