ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched the game

NCHawkeye24

HB MVP
Apr 19, 2021
It is amazing the different perspective that you can gain by re-watching a game and having the ability to pause and rewind. I admit, to the naked eye and watching it real-time it looks like there is not a lot different between BF and TL as OC's. However, under the hood, they are night and day different. It is obvious in this new age of college football where OC's can communicate with the QB that seeing the field from the press box is a huge advantage. TL's NFL experience is huge for this and thus why we are seeing the second half improvements (minus the ISU game which was so wierd in a lot of ways).

These long KJ runs are no fluke. TL is constantly putting defenses in conflict and a numbers disadvantage with motion, line blocking schemes and formations. If you go back and watch you will see how so many running plays are putting our RB one-on-one with a defender. KJ is the perfect back for this and why he is leading the nation in rushing.

Cade actually played really well. Of course no QB is going to be able to throw perfect balls all the time, but first of all you want him to throw to the right place. He did that. He had a few drops that were catchable balls to RVZ, TW and Ostrenga and a couple of those would have extended drives. The throw to Wetjen was so close and a tight window. The throw to KB was a bit high however after the re-watch KB kind of hitched at the top of his route and he would have gotten more separation if he didn't and it could have been a touchdown if he caught it. I think a lot of people are thinking that Cade needs to be the centerpiece of this team because he has been the highly touted transfer but he is not. I don't know if he ever was.

The oline played really well. It is the most cohesive I have seen them and they not only blocked the run well they did a good job in pass coverage too. MN had some success heating them up with some timely blitzes but for the most part Cade had time to throw. The zone blocking is starting to look a lot like 2002 Iowa and with hole-hitting backs with vision like KJ and Jaz I can see us running the ball 45-50 times a game. I especially like it when Iowa is lined up on the left hash and TL lines up LL and AO next to Dunker because you just know there is going to be a hole somewhere there and with a back like KJ that is probably going to the house.

About the centerpiece of this offense, it is most definitely KJ, LL, AO and the oline. The offense did 95% of their damage in this 12 personnel grouping. Large is in this mix too but it is obvious that the receiving threat of LL and AO is paying huge dividends to KJ and the run game. There was no need to exploit anything in the air against MN because they could not stop the run and running the ball is always always going to be the preference of not only KF but pretty much every coach not named Mike Leach. But, there is so much they can do off of this personnel grouping in various formations so look for the tight ends to start having big games.

Gill, RVZ and TW all are doing a great job blocking. It is probably why we are not seeing KB very much, just a guess on my part. To be able to break these long runs it is necessary in most every case for a WR to block a guy. I think they will all get their chances.

I think this offense has a real opportunity to really click and I could see this team playing really dominant football at the end of the season.

**On a sidenote, I am glad to see PP play Lee instead of Hall. Hall may end up being the guy in the end that single-handedly cost Iowa a B1G championship game and national playoff appearance. You can count on one hand how many blown coverages that Iowa's defense has had in the last handful of years and that guy accounts for most of them.

It is amazing the different perspective that you can gain by re-watching a game and having the ability to pause and rewind. I admit, to the naked eye and watching it real-time it looks like there is not a lot different between BF and TL as OC's. However, under the hood, they are night and day different. It is obvious in this new age of college football where OC's can communicate with the QB that seeing the field from the press box is a huge advantage. TL's NFL experience is huge for this and thus why we are seeing the second half improvements (minus the ISU game which was so wierd in a lot of ways).

These long KJ runs are no fluke. TL is constantly putting defenses in conflict and a numbers disadvantage with motion, line blocking schemes and formations. If you go back and watch you will see how so many running plays are putting our RB one-on-one with a defender. KJ is the perfect back for this and why he is leading the nation in rushing.

Cade actually played really well. Of course no QB is going to be able to throw perfect balls all the time, but first of all you want him to throw to the right place. He did that. He had a few drops that were catchable balls to RVZ, TW and Ostrenga and a couple of those would have extended drives. The throw to Wetjen was so close and a tight window. The throw to KB was a bit high however after the re-watch KB kind of hitched at the top of his route and he would have gotten more separation if he didn't and it could have been a touchdown if he caught it. I think a lot of people are thinking that Cade needs to be the centerpiece of this team because he has been the highly touted transfer but he is not. I don't know if he ever was.

The oline played really well. It is the most cohesive I have seen them and they not only blocked the run well they did a good job in pass coverage too. MN had some success heating them up with some timely blitzes but for the most part Cade had time to throw. The zone blocking is starting to look a lot like 2002 Iowa and with hole-hitting backs with vision like KJ and Jaz I can see us running the ball 45-50 times a game. I especially like it when Iowa is lined up on the left hash and TL lines up LL and AO next to Dunker because you just know there is going to be a hole somewhere there and with a back like KJ that is probably going to the house.

About the centerpiece of this offense, it is most definitely KJ, LL, AO and the oline. The offense did 95% of their damage in this 12 personnel grouping. Large is in this mix too but it is obvious that the receiving threat of LL and AO is paying huge dividends to KJ and the run game. There was no need to exploit anything in the air against MN because they could not stop the run and running the ball is always always going to be the preference of not only KF but pretty much every coach not named Mike Leach. But, there is so much they can do off of this personnel grouping in various formations so look for the tight ends to start having big games.

Gill, RVZ and TW all are doing a great job blocking. It is probably why we are not seeing KB very much, just a guess on my part. To be able to break these long runs it is necessary in most every case for a WR to block a guy. I think they will all get their chances.

I think this offense has a real opportunity to really click and I could see this team playing really dominant football at the end of the season.

**On a sidenote, I am glad to see PP play Lee instead of Hall. Hall may end up being the guy in the end that single-handedly cost Iowa a B1G championship game and national playoff appearance. You can count on one hand how many blown coverages that Iowa's defense has had in the last handful of years and that guy accounts for most of them.
It frustrates me they throw to Wetjen at all. You're right, it was a pretty good throw -but because Wetjen has about the shortest catch radius of a receiver I've ever seen, he couldn't even get a hand on it.

I love the pre-snap movement. I focused in on that at times during the game. Like you said, the long Johnson 🤣.... runs are no fluke.

The passing game has to improve and we were hurt by some really bad WR drops, but the success of the run game will really open up some shots down field. Cade just needs to make those throws.

Finally, I LOVE that we are using Sullivan goal-to-go packages. Adds a different dynamic and both QBs seem to be on board with it. Cade was pumped for Sully scoring.

Maybe the OSU game will reveal a different result, but I think the OL is vastly better this year. Maybe it's Lester's schemes that make them more effective, but that can't explain everything; they've improved regardless of schemes. Those years of experience are producing results.

Maybe Cade didn't play as bad as I thought, but Iowa does need a passing game, starting against OSU. If not, it will be back to 9 guys within 5 yards of the LOS, and blocking schemes won't matter much.

nice writeup. definitely a feel good post.
Can you also put some thoughts down on issues of the first half -- both defense and offense?

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
It frustrates me they throw to Wetjen at all. You're right, it was a pretty good throw -but because Wetjen has about the shortest catch radius of a receiver I've ever seen, he couldn't even get a hand on it.
Wetjen is a good target like anyone else if he is open. I think we need to use him on a jet sweep once in awhile to make the defense think about it that they have to protect wide also and Wetjen catching the long WR screen toward the sideline with others blocking. If he can get by one or two guys he has the speed to house it.

I saw those long WR screens to the boundary used alot in Lester's West Mich video but maybe we dont quite have the personnel for it. But I think you still do that play to stretch out the defense so they dont clog the middle to stop Kaleb J etc

i know this isn’t a osu thread but what i saw of osu against marshall showed elite speed at so many spots that i wonder if any of the things that worked against mn translate against osu.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Can you also put some thoughts down on issues of the first half -- both defense and offense?
On defense, we were playing really vanilla schematically. I think that they were assuming that our front 4 would get pressure and that the back-7 would squeeze the zone-windows down more quickly. Initially, that kinda happened.

However, the Gopher QB is a talented and experienced dude ... threw for a ton of yards at New Hampshire (and they're usually a pretty decent team, on an annual basis). Anyhow, I think we all saw the same thing ... the QB got comfortable, was well-protected, and found his rhythm. It didn't hurt that we were playing pretty soft coverage too ... so the short stuff (particularly in the flats) was pretty much always there. Furthermore, the QB was getting the ball out pretty quick. When you can start doing that ... then that opens up more options ... both in the vertical passing game and in the running game. Furthermore, when you're not pinned deep ... the play-calling usually isn't quite so conservative ... and that means that the defense has to account for the offense wielding a larger playbook.

The problem with Wetjen is that he gets so few snaps the D is going to key on him if he's only in the game for special plays. Only throwing to him more often will help that. For that matter, throwing downfield to anybody. If we can't leverage that off of all the attention KJ draws we're not trying.
Same thing will happen with Sully unless we let him throw some passes

Reactions: DewHawk
On offense, the D was throwing a lot at the O ... likely some stuff that was different than they saw on film. Consequently, when the blockers were making their reads ... they were likely reading things correctly based on their prep ... but wrong based on the defense's intention. However, once the O figured out what the D was doing, the O-linemen could adjust their keys accordingly. Ideally O-linemen and the QB notice that stuff faster and communicate it to the coaches sooner ... so that the adjustments can be made sooner.

Another factor in the 1st half, particularly in the 2nd quarter, is that we had poor field position on a few drives. That is going to further limit the plays you choose from (usually). When you combine that with the prior considerations ... it puts the defense at the advantage.

Besides, the Gopher D completely shut down our O last season ... and they were playing very well over the prior 2 games. Heck, even in the first game, they limited a UNC offense that is typically pretty good.

Sometimes you have to give your adversary their due props.

On defense, we were playing really vanilla schematically. I think that they were assuming that our front 4 would get pressure and that the back-7 would squeeze the zone-windows down more quickly. Initially, that kinda happened.

However, the Gopher QB is a talented and experienced dude ... threw for a ton of yards at New Hampshire (and they're usually a pretty decent team, on an annual basis). Anyhow, I think we all saw the same thing ... the QB got comfortable, was well-protected, and found his rhythm. It didn't hurt that we were playing pretty soft coverage too ... so the short stuff (particularly in the flats) was pretty much always there. Furthermore, the QB was getting the ball out pretty quick. When you can start doing that ... then that opens up more options ... both in the vertical passing game and in the running game. Furthermore, when you're not pinned deep ... the play-calling usually isn't quite so conservative ... and that means that the defense has to account for the offense wielding a larger playbook.
No doubt why Phil went with more stunts and pressure in the 2nd half. Minn QB never got comfortable in the 3rd quarter, and it was all over by the time the 4th started....

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
No doubt why Phil went with more stunts and pressure in the 2nd half. Minn QB never got comfortable in the 3rd quarter, and it was all over by the time the 4th started....
I guess he's back in the running for the Frank Broyles Assistant Coach of the Year. ;)

Cade has to be willing to push the ball downfield, even for incompletions. There’s so much upside by making catch (obviously) but also with possible PI and especially opening up the field for other plays throughout the game. I haven’t rewatch the game yet, I recall multiple times in both the ISU game and MN game where Cade did not throw to the open WR/TE downfield with one-on-one coverage and instead took the Uber safe check down for now yards, threw it away, or took a sack.

They need to find a way to get some chunk plays because otherwise our margin for error is way too small and we cannot solely relying on long KJ runs for TDs. Just my two cents…

I guess he's back in the running for the Frank Broyles Assistant Coach of the Year. ;)
We all know that PP knows what he's doing. He came right out in camp and said the biggest issue with the defense was the young secondary, and he was spot on. I'm confident as the season progresses he'll make the necessary changes to shore that up. Its just unfortunate that it cost us that ISU debacle. Obviously its still in flux with Lee/Hall at one CB, and X/Entringer at safety.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
We all know that PP knows what he's doing. He came right out in camp and said the biggest issue with the defense was the young secondary, and he was spot on. I'm confident as the season progresses he'll make the necessary changes to shore that up. Its just unfortunate that it cost us that ISU debacle. Obviously its still in flux with Lee/Hall at one CB, and X/Entringer at safety.
There were many things that cost Iowa the ISU game, but yes, the DB play was one of them.

It frustrates me they throw to Wetjen at all. You're right, it was a pretty good throw -but because Wetjen has about the shortest catch radius of a receiver I've ever seen, he couldn't even get a hand on it
They should do some more slip screens and such with him. Anything past 5 yards for the catch is not a great idea.

Iowa is 6th nationally in the amount of stacked boxes they’re facing. Take out the service academies, and we’re 3rd. The fact that we’re as good running the ball as well as we are is obviously very encouraging. I hope as the passing game progresses and players continue to learn the system, we start to find more success down the field. We’ve left a lot of meat on the bone so far this season, and while I don’t expect huge performances, we gotta be better than we have been. Obviously.

I think we should fully lean into the running game and get Sullivan on the field more. If we’re going to struggle in the passing game, then let’s get another runner on the field. Hate to say it, but be like Michigan. Just lean into who we are and literally run with it.

Cade has to be willing to push the ball downfield, even for incompletions. There’s so much upside by making catch (obviously) but also with possible PI and especially opening up the field for other plays throughout the game. I haven’t rewatch the game yet, I recall multiple times in both the ISU game and MN game where Cade did not throw to the open WR/TE downfield with one-on-one coverage and instead took the Uber safe check down for now yards, threw it away, or took a sack.

They need to find a way to get some chunk plays because otherwise our margin for error is way too small and we cannot solely relying on long KJ runs for TDs. Just my two cents…
For Cade to throw the ball downfield, a few things need to happen:
  • guys need to at least have a little separation (it hasn't always been there)
  • Cade needs to see them (there have been open guys whom he simply hasn't seen)
  • Cade has to have trust that they'll go up and get it (they might not be showing it during weekly prep)
  • The OL has to protect given what the D is showing them
  • Cade has to get us in the right protections and account for blitzers - so that he has time
Also, you have to figure that Cade might be a little gun-shy because the pick he threw against ISU completely changed the complexion of that game. If that pick doesn't happen ... we probably win that game. I wouldn't put the loss on him ... but I'm sure he feels partly responsible.

Lastly, even if he throws it downfield ... he's been underthrowing on a lot of his long-balls this season. If he just got a little more on a number of them ... we're seeing more explosive plays. Some of that seems attributable to his footwork ... passing the ball of his heels and the like.

Anyhow, I agree with the sentiment that the Hawks could benefit from taking the occasional shot downfield ... but it has to be there too. Given the overall inexperience of our WR corps and the fact that we have a new offensive scheme ... there are a lot of moving parts to coordinate together.

No sarcasm from me, that was a well thought out post and was outstanding…

It struck me that Brian always tried to rely upon personnel-games to scheme mismatches in the passing-game. He didn't try to use spacing of the field from the passing game to set up the run-game. You would have thought that he would have learned that one from Greg Davis. Furthermore, as you indicated, you can still do personnel games ... but if you also use motions to alter formations to give you potential numbers advantages in the running game ... if you can force the D to have to leave the RB mainly getting stopped by a single guy ... then a talented RB like KJ will win those more times than he'll lose it.

However, all that said ... I'd say that Lester has been benefitting from the fact that the OL is clearly in the best state that its been in for a LONG time. It's hard to run and pass when the blocking isn't there for either.

Finally, I LOVE that we are using Sullivan goal-to-go packages. Adds a different dynamic and both QBs seem to be on board with it. Cade was pumped for Sully scoring.
They came out in Pistol that first time against Troy and I had to go change my pants, I was so happy they did it...........

For Cade to throw the ball downfield, a few things need to happen:
  • guys need to at least have a little separation (it hasn't always been there)
  • Cade needs to see them (there have been open guys whom he simply hasn't seen)
  • Cade has to have trust that they'll go up and get it (they might not be showing it during weekly prep)
  • The OL has to protect given what the D is showing them
  • Cade has to get us in the right protections and account for blitzers - so that he has time
Also, you have to figure that Cade might be a little gun-shy because the pick he threw against ISU completely changed the complexion of that game. If that pick doesn't happen ... we probably win that game. I wouldn't put the loss on him ... but I'm sure he feels partly responsible.

Lastly, even if he throws it downfield ... he's been underthrowing on a lot of his long-balls this season. If he just got a little more on a number of them ... we're seeing more explosive plays. Some of that seems attributable to his footwork ... passing the ball of his heels and the like.

Anyhow, I agree with the sentiment that the Hawks could benefit from taking the occasional shot downfield ... but it has to be there too. Given the overall inexperience of our WR corps and the fact that we have a new offensive scheme ... there are a lot of moving parts to coordinate together.
Hopefully the bye week solves all our passing problems! :D:D:D:D

Reality: "It won't......."

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
He was in street clothes yet for Troy game. No discernible limp.
Shoulder, elbow, wrist, collarbone, neck, concussion, discipline. Lower body injury that is close to healed up, but quite able to play yet.

Again, we have no clue…maybe it was the vaccine?!?!?!??!?!?!

Shoulder, elbow, wrist, collarbone, neck, concussion, discipline. Lower body injury that is close to healed up, but quite able to play yet.

Again, we have no clue…maybe it was the vaccine?!?!?!??!?!?!
Fukkn Fauci…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT