ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits and potential recruits from Illinois

4everahawk

All-Conference
Jul 29, 2002
I spent a couple of days last week in Champaign watching the Illinois state wrestling finals. Since the board's a little slow, I thought some might enjoy my non-expert opinion on a few wrestlers - some with Iowa connections & some not.

Vincent Turk (1st at 2A 145) - This guy is a beast! Rolled through his bracket without a serious challenge. Seems like he's cut out of the Iowa mold, too. After a RS year, I think he will be ready to compete for a starting position & be an AA candidate.

Joey Gunther (2nd at 3A 160) - I'm not as high on him as I am on Turk. He's definitely a quality wrestler - more than a "room guy" (whatever that means), but he will need to gain strength to compete with the top guys.

Rudy Yates (Junior, 1st at 3A 126) - All I can say is WOW! Dominated a really tough bracket & handily beat 3X champ Williams in the championship match. Seems like a great kid, too. I know there are supposedly a lot of lightweight prospects already lined up, but if he's interested I would definitely show him some love. Would love to see how he matches up against Suriano and Lee. He's short and pretty muscled out, so I imagine he would be a 133 or even a 126 in college.

Austin O'Connor (Sophomore, 1st at 3A 132) - Definitely a guy to watch. Great technical wrestler, was champ last year at 106, and looks like he may have some more growing to do.

Jack Jessen (Freshman, 2nd at 3A 170) - Wow - a freshman finishing 2nd at 170! This kid is already a great wrestler and has a great future.

Nathan Traxler (Junior, 1st at 3A 182) - I don't know if Iowa is in on this guy, but he looks like he could become a quality 197-pounder. Won a tough bracket, and I know he beat Montalvo (Illinois recruit) earlier in the year.

Timothy Young (Senior, 1st at 3A 195) - I hadn't heard of him before the tournament, but he breezed through his bracket. Was very quick & athletic. Wonder if he might be an under-the-radar guy who could really blossom in college.

Timothy Young sounds intriguing. A raw 197 pounder who needs a year or two to blossom could be perfect. Especially if he has the athleticism you described.

PSA- Illinois HS Wrestling Championship Finals at each weight class will be running all afternoon on Comcast Sports Chicago tomorrow (Sunday). Means most of us in Iowa will be able to watch some of these prospects.

This post was edited on 2/28 11:14 AM by Menace Sockeyes

Originally posted by 4everahawk:
I spent a couple of days last week in Champaign watching the Illinois state wrestling finals. Since the board's a little slow, I thought some might enjoy my non-expert opinion on a few wrestlers - some with Iowa connections & some not.

Vincent Turk (1st at 2A 145) - This guy is a beast! Rolled through his bracket without a serious challenge. Seems like he's cut out of the Iowa mold, too. After a RS year, I think he will be ready to compete for a starting position & be an AA candidate.

Joey Gunther (2nd at 3A 160) - I'm not as high on him as I am on Turk. He's definitely a quality wrestler - more than a "room guy" (whatever that means), but he will need to gain strength to compete with the top guys.

Rudy Yates (Junior, 1st at 3A 126) - All I can say is WOW! Dominated a really tough bracket & handily beat 3X champ Williams in the championship match. Seems like a great kid, too. I know there are supposedly a lot of lightweight prospects already lined up, but if he's interested I would definitely show him some love. Would love to see how he matches up against Suriano and Lee. He's short and pretty muscled out, so I imagine he would be a 133 or even a 126 in college.

Austin O'Connor (Sophomore, 1st at 3A 132) - Definitely a guy to watch. Great technical wrestler, was champ last year at 106, and looks like he may have some more growing to do.

Jack Jessen (Freshman, 2nd at 3A 170) - Wow - a freshman finishing 2nd at 170! This kid is already a great wrestler and has a great future.

Nathan Traxler (Junior, 1st at 3A 182) - I don't know if Iowa is in on this guy, but he looks like he could become a quality 197-pounder. Won a tough bracket, and I know he beat Montalvo (Illinois recruit) earlier in the year.

Timothy Young (Senior, 1st at 3A 195) - I hadn't heard of him before the tournament, but he breezed through his bracket. Was very quick & athletic. Wonder if he might be an under-the-radar guy who could really blossom in college.
Rudy is non-stop. Have watched a few of his matches and have to say I came away very impressed. Coach turns the motor on and points him to the mat and its all offense, all the time.

Originally posted by Azchief32:

Rudy is non-stop. Have watched a few of his matches and have to say I came away very impressed. Coach turns the motor on and points him to the mat and its all offense, all the time.
We'll have none of that!

No 1st period takedowns, escape point, rideout in OT, that's the new era recruit we're looking for....................
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by sloehawk:

We'll have none of that!

No 1st period takedowns, escape point, rideout in OT, that's the new era recruit we're looking for....................
wink.r191677.gif
Not while I'm a fan of this team. Wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

We'll have none of that!

wink.r191677.gif
. Wouldn't have anything to complain about.
Oh I don't know about that.....

There's always jammenz, grammer, PSU Posters, MikeT, misspellings, crazy lineups, etc, etc, endlessly........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT