ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirts

Let's pretend Pemsl is a redshirt.

I think Jack Nunge is going to be the guy, although I like Pemsl and Fredrick. I really think Nunge is going to be a star. Very tall, very athletic - I am very hopeful he really gets it together in his 3rd year in the program.

Who do you think will be the best player coming out of redshirt next year?

Taking a redshirt is never a bad thing.
First of all if Cook leaves, Nunge and Pemsl can step in and use their experience and improvement to shore up the front line. If Cook returns and that's a big "IF" McCaffery is again saddled with too many bodies. That means players getting less minutes then they might deserve, and as we saw last year it didn't go well.
I really like C.J Fredrick, at 6'4 he has length and I believe the toughness that is lacking at the guard position. There's nothing about his game I don't like and with a year off to gain strength he will have to earn his playing time, but he will be given the opportunity to show just how much game time he deserves. A player that can dribble drive, pick and pop, shoot the 3, and play defense is always a good addition.

Reactions: owenhawk
I too, like Nunge's upside. I think we will be a very difficult player to guard. He has good handles, decent outside shot and he can drive well for a 6'11" guy.

Pemsl will be a good one too. As we saw with ISU.

Frederick is an obvious unknown. But he has some PG skills. If he can keep his 3 pt % high, he could be pretty darn good.

Hopefully all of these guys can pick it up on the defensive end. And learn to play well and cohesive with the current roster.

It’s tough to make predictions about next year because I think there’s a ton that could happen in terms of players leaving. Baer obviously graduates, Cook could go pro, somebody could grad transfer.

Ultimately I think Pemsl becomes most valuable next year regardless of whether Cook stays or goes because he either has to fill Baer’s spot off the bench if TC stays or potentially start if he goes.

Nunge still has to prove he can be a D1 difference maker. I agree he ends up being a major player for us, but doubt it’ll be next year

Reactions: chuck285
Taking a redshirt is never a bad thing.
First of all if Cook leaves, Nunge and Pemsl can step in and use their experience and improvement to shore up the front line. If Cook returns and that's a big "IF" McCaffery is again saddled with too many bodies. That means players getting less minutes then they might deserve, and as we saw last year it didn't go well.
I really like C.J Fredrick, at 6'4 he has length and I believe the toughness that is lacking at the guard position. There's nothing about his game I don't like and with a year off to gain strength he will have to earn his playing time, but he will be given the opportunity to show just how much game time he deserves. A player that can dribble drive, pick and pop, shoot the 3, and play defense is always a good addition.
I think Cook is more likely to stay than go. I honestly don’t think he’d be drafted and he DEFINITELY wouldn’t be on an active NBA roster for a year or 2 like Haluska was in HOU. He should do what Aaron White did; finish his career here, get better, drafted in late 2nd round or not at all, and play in Europe.

Did Iowa try to recruit this Cole Henry kid from Osky at all? Seems to be a rather skilled kid for his size. I guess having Patrick in the class kind of rules him out. Anyone know what kind of numbers Henry is posting?

I think Cook is more likely to stay than go. I honestly don’t think he’d be drafted and he DEFINITELY wouldn’t be on an active NBA roster for a year or 2 like Haluska was in HOU. He should do what Aaron White did; finish his career here, get better, drafted in late 2nd round or not at all, and play in Europe.

If TC can learn to hit a 3pt shot like AW did his senior season, he WILL get drafted. Count on it... That would show considerable improvement, like Cook had this year, one season over the other. Scouts would notice that... Tyler still has a lot of potential to improve to where he needs to be.

Let's pretend Pemsl is a redshirt.

I think Jack Nunge is going to be the guy, although I like Pemsl and Fredrick. I really think Nunge is going to be a star. Very tall, very athletic - I am very hopeful he really gets it together in his 3rd year in the program.

I agree. Versatile can play 3, 4 and even 5 in small ball lineup. Just reminds me of uthoff. I think he will be why Patrick doesn’t play that much next year as a freshman. Frontcout will be nunge, Garza, pemsl and Kriener (assuming cook leaves) with nunge also playing the 3 with Weiskamp.

I know most would say no way but if Cook would stay maybe red shirting Patrick could be an option.

I agree. Versatile can play 3, 4 and even 5 in small ball lineup. Just reminds me of uthoff. I think he will be why Patrick doesn’t play that much next year as a freshman. Frontcout will be nunge, Garza, pemsl and Kriener (assuming cook leaves) with nunge also playing the 3 with Weiskamp.

I know most would say no way but if Cook would stay maybe red shirting Patrick could be an option.

I can't see Nunge playing anymore 3. It didn't work at all last year.

Hes basically the same size as Garza now but taller.

With JBO, Moss, JW and Connor theres really no reason not to have 3 of those 4 on the court most times. Then you still have Daily and 2 freshman guards.

I think its Nunge. I agree that if Cook stays, PMac should redshirt esoecially given that he would benefit feom another year to put on some muscle.

I hope CJ does well but I also dont see him sniffing the floor for a couple of years. Weiskamp frankly needs to play 25-30+ minutes per game because hes just that good. JBo, Connor, and now Toussant at PG; Toussant may be a redshirt candidate to wait in wings till JBo is done. And Moss looks like he will demand more minutes.

Lineup next year should be

PG: JBo, CMac
SG: Moss, JBo/Weiskamp, Frederick
SF: Weiskamp, CMac, Nunge/Dailey
PF: Cook, Pemsl, Nunge
C : Garza, Kreiner, Nunge

with this, you have in order of minutes
1. Weiskamp
2. JBo
3. Cook
4. Garza
5. Moss
6. CMac
7. Kreiner
8. Nunge
9. Pemsl

Token guys
10. Dailey
11. Frederick

Redshirt
PMac

I think its Nunge. I agree that if Cook stays, PMac should redshirt esoecially given that he would benefit feom another year to put on some muscle.

I hope CJ does well but I also dont see him sniffing the floor for a couple of years. Weiskamp frankly needs to play 25-30+ minutes per game because hes just that good. JBo, Connor, and now Toussant at PG; Toussant may be a redshirt candidate to wait in wings till JBo is done. And Moss looks like he will demand more minutes.

Lineup next year should be

PG: JBo, CMac
SG: Moss, JBo/Weiskamp, Frederick
SF: Weiskamp, CMac, Nunge/Dailey
PF: Cook, Pemsl, Nunge
C : Garza, Kreiner, Nunge

with this, you have in order of minutes
1. Weiskamp
2. JBo
3. Cook
4. Garza
5. Moss
6. CMac
7. Kreiner
8. Nunge
9. Pemsl

Token guys
10. Dailey
11. Frederick

Redshirt
PMac

Barring an injury or illness I’d say there is about a zero percent chance pmac redshirts. He is already old enough to be in college and his clock to play alongside Patrick is limited. He will play next year even if it means limited minutes. Teams can always use cerebral players that have well rounded skill sets. I’m guessing he backs up JW at the wing and plays some minutes at the 4 especially if cook leaves early.

Reactions: TKingpin
Nunge will not play the 3 with the exception of spot minutes here and there. Like Rock said, we tried it and it didn't work.. Jack has loads of talent for a 6'11" dude. But unless he somehow develops more quickness to guard a SF on the perimeter, he won't be there much. He is a stretch 4 in the mold of Uthoff...

I see Joe T playing. Especially if he has the defense. We have no one to defend a speedy guard, without some help(we will see a lot of this in the next several games). I hope Joe T is playing next year. If not, that will indicate a swing & a miss by Fran in recruiting. And we will continue to have deficiencies in the back court there... Toussaint is said to have the skills. Fingers crossed

PMac. He has skills. But will the speed of the game allow him to play the 3 spot? He is long, so that'll help. But... Not to mention, are there any minutes for him there?? We lose Baer. But Adding two guards will allow us to move some guys to the wing. Which we are doing now with Moss. And we could more with CMac, when he finds his scoring touch again(and he will).

PMac won't see any time at the 4 or 5. Too much talent in front of him He isn't going to get many, if any time at the 3 spot. Token minutes at best. So, where does he play if he doesn't redshirt...? I'm all ears here... Hopefully he picks up the speed of the game quickly, and contests Joe W Moss and CMac for minutes. But I do not see it for those reasons... That, and do we really want a larger rotation???

CJ & Joe T should solidify the backcourt. Again, fingers crossed Mixed with the veterans, and we will have one of the best in the B1G. And valuable experience for the post-JBo Moss Era.

I like this smaller rotation we have now. The current redshirts are going to create a logjam. Especially if Cook does what he should; Stay another year and do nothing but shoot 3s all summer... Either way we have a loaded front court. And a deeper backcourt.

Who will be the better redshirt? I say Nunge. But I see CJ getting more minutes. As there are more minutes per player in the backcourt & perimeter, than at the 4 & 5 spots.

Last edited:
Barring an injury or illness I’d say there is about a zero percent chance pmac redshirts. He is already old enough to be in college and his clock to play alongside Patrick is limited. He will play next year even if it means limited minutes. Teams can always use cerebral players that have well rounded skill sets. I’m guessing he backs up JW at the wing and plays some minutes at the 4 especially if cook leaves early.

PMac's age does not matter. It only means he is another year closer to his physical peak(which he'll hit AFTER his years at Iowa). Now His rail thin body does matter... That and if he plays our rotation becomes a bigger mess... Unless he has a Joe W type of year, Redshirting is the best option. Not just for him, but the team... And he'll still have 2 years to play with his brother.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkfan1963
Has there been any buzz I’ve missed abt. CJ being ready to step in and be a solid contributor? I’m talking about since he arrived at Iowa. I haven’t heard anything where he’s been mentioned as big time practice player for example.

can Pemsel get a medical RS? Is that a thing in BB, like getting a 6th year in FB?

Yes, hes having surgery I believe and only played in 2 or 3 games so pretty cut and dry I would assume. This is only his 3rd year so he should have no trouble getting the extra 5th year.

PMac's age does not matter. It only means he is another year closer to his physical peak(which he'll hit AFTER his years at Iowa). Now His rail thin body does matter... That and if he plays our rotation becomes a bigger mess... Unless he has a Joe W type of year, Redshirting is the best option. Not just for him, but the team... And he'll still have 2 years to play with his brother.

again...barring injury or illness, there is about a zero percent chance Patrick redshirts. This isn't about what the best option is as you build a dynasty team on NCAA Basketball Playstation 2019. How often do you redshirt a consensus top 100 player? Beyond that he is a year older than his classmates and will be playing for his father and with his brother. I would be shocked if he redshirted for any reason beyond injury or illness. He will fill Baer's role quite nicely, energy off the bench, length to be disruptive on defense and on the boards despite his lack of strength and high basketball IQ that will only benefit the team, whether it is for five minutes a game or 15.

I think Nunge is more likely to transfer to a mid-major than ever be a real meaningful contributor here.

Nunge will be a significant contributor on next year's Iowa team. We lose Baer and almost certainly Cook (I don't care about anyone's opinion of whether he can make it in the NBA, he was almost out the door last year. He wants to play pro ball, and he's going to find a way to do that sooner rather than later.) Lots of minutes available at the 4, and those will go to Pemsl and Nunge.

Here is how I hope Fran can make everybody happy with playing time next year.

Be so damn good that we're up 20 + late in the games and then everybody gets to play :)

That being said... I personally feel Cook returns to cement the legacy of his class. Making the NCAA's is great, but competing for a Big Ten Championship and then a Final Four run or more?

2019-2020
F-Luka Garza 6'11" 245lbs Jr / Ryan Kriener 6'9" 255lbs. Sr / Jack Nunge 7'0" 240lbs. So
F-Tyler Cook 6'9" 250lbs. Sr / Cordell Pemsl 6'8" 235lbs. Jr / Jack Nunge 7'0" 240lbs. So
G-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" 210lbs. So / Patrick McCaffery 6'9" 200lbs. Fr / Maishe Dailey 6'7" 205lbs. Sr
G-Isaiah Moss 6'5" 205lbs. Sr / Maishe Dailey 6'7" 205lbs. Sr / C.J. Fredrick 6'4" 190lbs. Fr
G-Jordan Bohannon 6'1" 185lbs. Sr / Connor McCaffery 6'6" 205lbs. So / Joe Toussaint 5'11" 180lbs. Fr

That's a DEEP bench, but probably too deep. There are 5 Seniors, so underclassman like Nunge need to realize their time to shine may be the next year.

Has there been any buzz I’ve missed abt. CJ being ready to step in and be a solid contributor? I’m talking about since he arrived at Iowa. I haven’t heard anything where he’s been mentioned as big time practice player for example.

Only in the minds of posters here. Truth is none of us knows anything about Nunge, Pemsl or Frederick's ability to play next year. We just don't. If Cook stays and Baer is the only guy Iowa loses, playing time will be at a premium next year.

Everyone has their own opinion on who will get in the rotation next year. If forced to make a choice right now, I would say Patrick McC replaces Baer's minutes. But that's just a guess. If Cook leaves, it opens up 30+ minutes a game for others to play.

The biggest benefit to Frederick, Nunge and Pemsl being out this year (other than their own growth) is that it limits Fran's options to shoehorn 11+ people into every game. Iowa has its 9-man rotation (starters plus Baer, Conor McC, Kriener, Dailey). Everyone knows they are going to play every game. A guy like Kriener knows that he's going to play against MSU even after not playing well against Illinois (10 minutes, 0-1 FG, 3 fouls, 3 turnovers). I use him as an example, but the same could be said of any of the bench guys. They are all needed, and they get some level of consistency as they know if they make a mistake or have a bad game they will still get to play.

2019-20 will be tough on Fran getting people in games.

Things I could see next year.
Cook going Pro. Either going or staying wouldn't surprise me with him.
Dailey transferring to get more PT somewhere, he has a redshirt left to sit out if he wants to go to a mid-major. But I'd expect he stays
Patrick redshirting as it is absolutely the best thing to do.

For the rest of the roster:
Garza, staying and starting
Kriener, staying as he's an Iowa boy
Pemsl, staying as he's an Iowa boy
Nunge, staying since he's burned a RS and wanting to see if he can make it at this level
Joe W, staying, duh
Moss, staying as it is his last year and he's a starter for a Big Ten team, doesn't get much better than that
Fredrick, staying as his family are friends with Fran
JBo, staying, duh
Connor, staying, duh. But the big question with him is how his baseball season goes. That could impact his basketball career.
Joe T, maybe a redshirt candidate if JBo and Connor are healthy. But I'd like to see him play so that he's ready to play big minutes the 2020/21 and he could allow JBo to play more SG in 2019/20.

can Pemsel get a medical RS? Is that a thing in BB, like getting a 6th year in FB?

Yeah he will be fine to get one. Isu Solomon young this year played in just a few games and shut him down and he will get one. With playing in only 2 games pemsl qualifies for a red shirt this year.

I still have concerns how much if any Pemsl will play again. Some people are good at b-ball, but their body parts weren’t built for the wear and tear. I guy can only go thru so many surgeries and realize their potential. I fear one more setback and Pemsl says screw it, it wasn’t meant to be.

No inside info, but for most people multiple surgeries on the lower extremities is not good. Especially with the short duration of a college career.

I still have concerns how much if any Pemsl will play again. Some people are good at b-ball, but their body parts weren’t built for the wear and tear. I guy can only go thru so many surgeries and realize their potential. I fear one more setback and Pemsl says screw it, it wasn’t meant to be.

No inside info, but for most people multiple surgeries on the lower extremities is not good. Especially with the short duration of a college career.

Yeah none of us know. I don't think he can be counted on as a contributor. If he is healthy and ready to go, it's a bonus. Just hope he gets healthy for an extended period of time.

Class Breakdown for 2019-20

Seniors: 5
Juniors: 2
Sophomores: 3
Freshman: 3

If Cook does leave for draft, a Juco might be a good solution to help balance the classes?

Nunge will be a significant contributor on next year's Iowa team. We lose Baer and almost certainly Cook (I don't care about anyone's opinion of whether he can make it in the NBA, he was almost out the door last year. He wants to play pro ball, and he's going to find a way to do that sooner rather than later.) Lots of minutes available at the 4, and those will go to Pemsl and Nunge.

He wants to play in the nba for obvious reason. If he just wanted to be a professional that option was completely and totally available last year just the same as it will be this year. There would have been no reason to come back this year if money wasn't the motivating issue rather than playing pro ball. Millions vs thousands.

I have no clue what hell do, probably depends mostly on what the nba teams tell him. But to just assume that playing professionally in and of itself is his motivation seems extremely unlikely.

Here is how I hope Fran can make everybody happy with playing time next year.

Be so damn good that we're up 20 + late in the games and then everybody gets to play :)

That being said... I personally feel Cook returns to cement the legacy of his class. Making the NCAA's is great, but competing for a Big Ten Championship and then a Final Four run or more?

2019-2020
F-Luka Garza 6'11" 245lbs Jr / Ryan Kriener 6'9" 255lbs. Sr / Jack Nunge 7'0" 240lbs. So
F-Tyler Cook 6'9" 250lbs. Sr / Cordell Pemsl 6'8" 235lbs. Jr / Jack Nunge 7'0" 240lbs. So
G-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" 210lbs. So / Patrick McCaffery 6'9" 200lbs. Fr / Maishe Dailey 6'7" 205lbs. Sr
G-Isaiah Moss 6'5" 205lbs. Sr / Maishe Dailey 6'7" 205lbs. Sr / C.J. Fredrick 6'4" 190lbs. Fr
G-Jordan Bohannon 6'1" 185lbs. Sr / Connor McCaffery 6'6" 205lbs. So / Joe Toussaint 5'11" 180lbs. Fr

That's a DEEP bench, but probably too deep. There are 5 Seniors, so underclassman like Nunge need to realize their time to shine may be the next year.

Wisconsin has been operating this way forever. Bigs sit for two or three years then play the last two or three and do well at that point.

He wants to play in the nba for obvious reason. If he just wanted to be a professional that option was completely and totally available last year just the same as it will be this year. There would have been no reason to come back this year if money wasn't the motivating issue rather than playing pro ball. Millions vs thousands.

I have no clue what hell do, probably depends mostly on what the nba teams tell him. But to just assume that playing professionally in and of itself is his motivation seems extremely unlikely.

Absolutely he wants to play in the NBA. I don't think he bolts early to play in Europe. My thinking is if he doesn't end up on draft boards, he'll take a hard look at a 2-way contract in the G-League. I do know that he had an offer last spring, which is why it took him so long to decide whether to come back or not. If a year goes by and he gets a similar offer next year, he may decide it's just time to go.

Who knows what will actually happen, but my guess right now is he leaves.

Absolutely he wants to play in the NBA. I don't think he bolts early to play in Europe. My thinking is if he doesn't end up on draft boards, he'll take a hard look at a 2-way contract in the G-League. I do know that he had an offer last spring, which is why it took him so long to decide whether to come back or not. If a year goes by and he gets a similar offer next year, he may decide it's just time to go.

Who knows what will actually happen, but my guess right now is he leaves.

Are you saying TC was offered a 2-way contract? I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure a player has to go undrafted and become a FA before anyone can offer a player a 2-way contract.

Someone may tell him they have interest, but they cannot offer a college kid that has not declared. That interest is shaky at best. Players are told by teams all the time they will draft them if available and many times they don’t because someone they liked better “fell” to them.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Are you saying TC was offered a 2-way contract? I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure a player has to go undrafted and become a FA before anyone can offer a player a 2-way contract.

Someone may tell him they have interest, but they cannot offer a college kid that has not declared. That interest is shaky at best. Players are told by teams all the time they will draft them if available and many times they don’t because someone they liked better “fell” to them.

I don't know what the offer actually was.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I don't know what the offer actually was.

Mostly likely someone telling him they would sign him to the g league or possibly use a second round pick.

Two way contracts dont often go to undrafted guys out of college. You have to earn that shot like Uthoff did.

That's usually the two or maybe its three now, best players on the G league roster full of college all Americans and draft picks.

Theres allot of guys in the G league who were drafted and dont have 2 way contracts.

Leaving early for anything less than a sure fire 1st round spot really makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT