ADVERTISEMENT

Referee makes wrestler cut hair

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Moody was made to cut his hair at an open - it was Pat Flanagan in Dubuque a couple of years ago. Believe the ref was Frost. It wasn’t addressed at weigh ins - Injury clock started on the mat. It had never been an issue in any other open. And if I remember correctly, it wasn’t his first match of the day.

Moody was made to cut his hair at an open - it was Pat Flanagan in Dubuque a couple of years ago. Believe the ref was Frost. It wasn’t addressed at weigh ins - Injury clock started on the mat. It had never been an issue in any other open. And if I remember correctly, it wasn’t his first match of the day.
This is correct

I bring a kit of bandaids, medical tape, nail clippers, extra head gear, scissors, and my own cotton plugs and gloves to every youth tournament I coach. It’s easier to be prepared than to argue with a ref on a soapbox. I’ve never actually had to give a haircut though....

my kid had dreads when he wrestled. He always had a skull cap with hom and it was about 50/50 as to whether the official made him where it or not. I recall one dual tournament where he wrestled his first three matches w/o his skull cap and then in the fourth meet the ref made him put it on. Another kid from the opposing team who was white and had much longer hair wasn’t made to do anything

my kid had dreads when he wrestled. He always had a skull cap with hom and it was about 50/50 as to whether the official made him where it or not. I recall one dual tournament where he wrestled his first three matches w/o his skull cap and then in the fourth meet the ref made him put it on. Another kid from the opposing team who was white and had much longer hair wasn’t made to do anything
I don't have a problem with long hair, but wouldn't want to wrestle somebody with dreads. They're effin gross.

Didn’t Moody have to cut his hair in an open about 2 years ago??

Not quite. Ref was a huge Hawk fan. Not Frost. It was a point of emphasis that day and he was given ample time to remedy the situation but refused.

Some refs don't care, they are like many of you guys - let the kids wrestle. If the dreads were abrasive, then they should be covered. The thing that sucks is the rule says the hair piece haas to be connected to the head gear.

We have a kid on our team in the same situation and he is too poor to buy the hair piece. The coach just ordered a few and has them ready now. I would let it go and the ref next to me may not. Some guys like to cite the rules and some are more lenient about the ticky tacky stuff. However, at the state tournament, all the refs will enforce the rule.

Getting "poked in the eye by a dread" is exactly what Milhof was beefing about when he took injury time vs. RBY last week. I immediately thought there would be an issue ala Rasheed, and we might see a haircut in the New Year.

I think the ref was offhere. I also had to get my haircut or had to forfeit out of a tourney. Girl trainer cut my hair. I thought it sucked then and it sucks now

Didn't see the video but based on the info in the article the official followed the rule book as it is written. Hair may be braided or rolled but must be covered by a legal hair covering and evidently a legal hair covering was not available. Just because the last official didn't enforce the rule doesn't mean this official also shouldn't enforce the rule.

Should this problem have been avoided long before the wrestler stepped on the mat? Absolutely! The wrestler is supposed to have the legal covering with him at weigh-ins. Until all of the info surrounding weigh-ins and pre-meet instructions are known I don't think we can know where the blame should be placed. Hypothetically the wrestler could have come to weigh-ins without the covering and the official cut him and the coach a break and just told them to make sure he has a legal covering when he came to the mat and the covering wasn't legal. Now the official tried to do the kid right by cutting him some slack at weigh-ins and he is the one getting crucified in the public eye because the wrestler and coach didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

It is always easy to blame the official, and in this instance I am not saying the official isn't at fault. I just don't think we can pass judgement without knowing all the facts.

The rule says the hair net needs to be attached. When kids show up for weigh-in, they show a crumpled up hair net in their hands. Refs are not allowed to pick and choose what rule they want to enforce and what rule they want to ignore. If the hair net was illegal, it was illegal. End of story. Dreads have to be covered. This falls on the coach who should make sure all his wrestlers are in compliance of the rules. I did not see the video. Don't know if there was a racial component. I am just telling you what the duty of the ref, wrestler, and coach is. "Just let them wrestle" is simply asinine and leaves the ref vulnerable to a lawsuit if someone gets hurt.

I also got an impromptu hair cut in HS. My coach and ref laughed their ass off as another coach hacked my hair.

What did I learn? Cut my hair short right after football season and all was good....after all back then it was cool to have some hair showing out of the helmet. And football refs didn’t give a crap about hair length....

bef6sn64pzohtawvcma4.jpg

Ridiculous. Ref needs to retire.

My two biggest issues here:
1- This took place matside and not in the locker room before the meet or at weigh ins. Gives them time to think about this decision and if it’s worth it. Going forward, a hair cover needs to be considered special equipment and should be checked before hand.

2- The coach didn’t have his wrestler properly equipped. He is technically to blame for them cutting his hair because it was his and his athletes decision ultimately.

A lot of rumors floating around but I saw that this kids head cover was a Nike Beanie....as in stocking cap.

The ref probably asked the kid at the pre meet protocol if he had a cover for his hair and the kid said yes. If you are the ref, it is almost Xmas and he probably assumed the kid would have one by now. Then when he took the mat, he had to tell him he can’t wrestle. That’s my guess anyway.

A lot of people seem to be crying racism, with many news articles using "black wrestler" and "white referee", but when I try and find an official statement from the schools involved, referee, athletic conferences or state governing body, there had been no official statement.

Are we supposed to believe the first hand accounts of what happened? If so I've seen totally different accounts. Are we supposed to just believe what Twitter is telling us?

Not much info out there but sure seems like a lot of people are ok to cast judgement without many facts.

Unfortunately a perfect example of where our country is today. Throwing around words like "racism" with out all the facts devalues the meaning of the word, especially when many of us know of cases where the hair rules have been enforced on white wrestlers. Twitter didn't seem to care about those cases.

I don't know one way or the other. I will wait to pass judgment until I know all the facts.

It seems the required hair cap needs to be secured to the headgear and this was not the case here. As per the rules he did not have the required cover so that left the option of hair cut or forfeit. The coach is to blame here for not having his wrestler equipped to wrestle according to the rules, not the ref who enforced the rules as indicated.

I read an article where another local referee from that area visited the student’s school 3 weeks ago. He confirmed that he indeed address the hair rule. Also, confirmed he stated that the covering need to be attached to the headgear. Some reports have this kids hair covering was along the line of a beanie.

Social media platforms is a bane for human civilization on a larger contextual format.

Take this platform and how aggressive it has turned from 8-10 years ago.

A lot of people seem to be crying racism, with many news articles using "black wrestler" and "white referee", but when I try and find an official statement from the schools involved, referee, athletic conferences or state governing body, there had been no official statement.

Are we supposed to believe the first hand accounts of what happened? If so I've seen totally different accounts. Are we supposed to just believe what Twitter is telling us?

Not much info out there but sure seems like a lot of people are ok to cast judgement without many facts.

Unfortunately a perfect example of where our country is today. Throwing around words like "racism" with out all the facts devalues the meaning of the word, especially when many of us know of cases where the hair rules have been enforced on white wrestlers. Twitter didn't seem to care about those cases.

I don't know one way or the other. I will wait to pass judgment until I know all the facts.

This is what I saw!

It's always been a rule that your hair can't be past a certain length (I believe the ear lobe is the deciding factor). Didn't click the link but I have had to cut my wrestler's hair more than once. I have told them about the rule ahead of time and most kids in high school seem to think it's not worth it/they'll deal with it if it gets brought up. It's like fingernails, a certain level of management is a requirement. Not sure why racism should be brought up in all this (unless the hair was of proper length and the official really does treat black athletes with prejudice (which is obv not okay)).

Dreads or any long hair can get in the eye of either wrestler and could cause damage nevermind be an unfair distraction. The type of hair or color of skin should have nothing to do with it period.
During the weight in’s the ref checks nails and hair also for any skin infections. These rules should be inforced by the book no excuses.
Can we please keep the integrity of the sport intact.

He had used the "n" word towards a black official in the past (at some type of social event)...

Dreads or any long hair can get in the eye of either wrestler and could cause damage nevermind be an unfair distraction. The type of hair or color of skin should have nothing to do with it period.
During the weight in’s the ref checks nails and hair also for any skin infections. These rules should be inforced by the book no excuses.
Can we please keep the integrity of the sport intact.
Someone name one instance of hair causing an injury. I’ve been involved with wrestling a very long time at all levels as a competitor and a coach. Never seen it, ever. This might be one of the dumbest statements I’ve ever heard.

The rule is the head cover must be attached to the headgear.A kid on the opposing team wrestled with his head cover attached to the headgear.Coaches on the team know the rule so they should've had the proper equipment.You can't play football without a helmet.My opinion is it could've been a white kid with long hair and this ref would've done the samething.You will never see more arrogant officials over 60 in your life then in NJ they honestly believe the show is about them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT