ADVERTISEMENT

South Dakota high school says Black student must cut his hair for dress code

you-know-why-junk.gif

LOVED that scene. 😂😂😂😂

It just seems fashion is ridiculously important and distracting to Jr High and High School kids. Especially in suburbs and cities. Not a thing that ever came up when I was in Catholic school (Fossil watches were the most you could flash pretty much). And it absolutely came up daily in 9th grade in Cedar Falls. Less of a big deal in small town where jorts were cool.
The girls I went to high school with actually liked having to wear uniforms. It made life easier not having to decide what to wear every day, not have to worry about what was fashionable, wearing something that wasn't fashionable and getting made fun of. Still got to show some skin wearing a plaid skirt, pushing the limits of how high it was cut, of course.

Us guys really didn't give a crap about uniforms. Made life easier for us too.

Lots of benefits to wearing "uniforms".

SMH - the parents said his hair length was cultural and explained why. They complained because he has been in the school system with the same length hair for 3 years and it is just now becoming an issue. Nowhere in that article did I see the parents "play the race card". Quit making shit up.
I don't know if he's making shit up or not, but most likely it was handed to him that way by the fascist media that these clowns love to listen to.

Reactions: RileyHawk
The part of this that no one is mentioning is there's a movement to ban "African-American hairstyle" discrimination in this country. Many large cities have banned it. Not sure if any state has gone there.

But basically, the idea is that black people can wear whatever hairstyle they like, but the white dude who looks like Jesus doesn't get the same protections.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The part of this that no one is mentioning is there's a movement to ban "African-American hairstyle" discrimination in this country. Many large cities have banned it. Not sure if any state has gone there.

But basically, the idea is that black people can wear whatever hairstyle they like, but the white dude who looks like Jesus doesn't get the same protections.
Having anyone cut their hair for dress code is stupid. As long as it's groomed properly and taken care of, that is. If you got stuff living and/or growing in it, gross, do something about it.

But basically, the idea is that black people can wear whatever hairstyle they like, but the white dude who looks like the Jesus painted by white people in medieval paintings doesn't get the same protections.
Fify

A rule that’s not enforced is still a rule. Refs could call holding on every play, the fact they don’t doesn’t mean it’s okay to hold. When the refs finally do call it in the 3rd quarter the penalty is still enforced.

Hbe8e7cc34d00445b86e6bbed6e3f9b79K.jpg

If you have a school policy and the kids know that going to the school they should follow it, not that difficult.

Also if you have a policy, make sure you enforce it all the time. Picking when to enforce something like this makes you look like a really badly run institution. Get your shit together.

See, I don't get dress codes. I absolutely understand limiting what's allowed, to a point. Example, not allowing certain gang related items in areas where gangs are prevalent, or not allowing clothing that is intentional distracting (girls wearing see-through tops or F** Biden/F*** Trump tshirts).

But requiring everyone to dress similarly? Nah, not on board with that.
At private schools? My guess is that private schools do it because it's a bare minimum requirement to show that you'll get along. Same as the hair length requirement. If you can't do those things and get parents on board for those, then conduct and discipline will be even more of a challenge.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
So from the school leaders' position, they had to choose between "they let him do it because he's black" or "they made him cut it because he's black."

Tough call for the school.

They chose the option that made it the same for everyone. I can't fault them for that.

Unfortunate situation. Option C would be to modify the dress code... which is probably where I'd have fallen, but I don't know any of the other influences at play in the school, and there always are...

You definitely don't think racism is a deal breaker. I wonder why.
Weird how Teacher Tom burys his head in his ass when his Teacher's Union buddies are openly and blatantly racist. But true to form, Teacher Tom gets amnesia when it suits him. I believe the term is Hypocrite.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
James Daniels and some other former Iowa players made some really interesting points about how the Iowa program was perceived as racist by some (not them) because the programs dress code was base upon white cultural norms.
So, now cutting ones hair is a white cultural norm? That's a racist way to try and get everyone to kowtow to a leftist way of thinking. Is taking a shower a white cultural norm as well?

Why are you blaming this on the kid at all? His parents are the ones taking it public on his behalf. He might have just been bummed and did what the school asked if the parents stood by the school. Are you only pushing your narrative because the kid is black so you assume he is refusing to comply with rules? Maybe you just have bad reading comprehension but I really think you have a problem you need to work on.
Wow, your racism is boundless. People like you believe racism is a one way street. You feel you can say anything and hide behind a leftist view of the world. MLK said we all should be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. So in your view was MLK a racist for not bending the knee to the leftist, anti American current view of America?

No
Weird how Teacher Tom burys his head in his ass when his Teacher's Union buddies are openly and blatantly racist. But true to form, Teacher Tom gets amnesia when it suits him. I believe the term is Hypocrite.
Tom really isn't very bright. He has to wait and see what other leftists say so he knows what to believe and how to think.

The point is they were not enforced and now are. It's quite reasonable to question why. And abby brought this up as an example of someone playing victim with the race card. That's bullshit.

Small wonder you're here defending the misinformation.
He IS playing the victim and the race card. Did you read the article? He is not say I don't agree with the policy so I'm going to work to change it or transfer, he said the length of his hair was part of his culture and that was why he was complaining. Well if that is the case, then it was part of his culture when he enrolled in the school and maybe he or his parents should have enrolled at a different school.

Wow, your racism is boundless. People like you believe racism is a one way street. You feel you can say anything and hide behind a leftist view of the world. MLK said we all should be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. So in your view was MLK a racist for not bending the knee to the leftist, anti American current view of America?
I said nothing racist toward any race. You have poor reading comprehension. You’re pretty stupid in general though.

So from the school leaders' position, they had to choose between "they let him do it because he's black" or "they made him cut it because he's black."

Tough call for the school.

They chose the option that made it the same for everyone. I can't fault them for that.

Unfortunate situation. Option C would be to modify the dress code... which is probably where I'd have fallen, but I don't know any of the other influences at play in the school, and there always are...

It is a difficult situation for the school. There's a dress code for a reason, and once you make exceptions for any thing self-claimed as culturally important, you're opening it up to be taken advantage of. I'm not saying this student is trying to take advantage, but the ones who will follow through the open door.

If I was the school, I would probably tried to make sure there was a very long notice period or grandfather period to give the family the most time possible to deal with it, whether they would cut it or establish him at a new school. Springing it on a family on short notice is the real offense in a situation like this.

I would have considered some modifications around tying it up in a very specific and somewhat inconvenient way. Something that a student with a cultural attachment to their hair so ingrained that they would change schools over it would be willing to do, but a burnout white boy that wants to needle the system would not be willing to continue doing after a week or two. At least grandfathered for students currently in the system.

Reactions: thewop
A rule that’s not enforced is still a rule. Refs could call holding on every play, the fact they don’t doesn’t mean it’s okay to hold. When the refs finally do call it in the 3rd quarter the penalty is still enforced.
Only you could make this analogy. SMFH

It is a difficult situation for the school. There's a dress code for a reason, and once you make exceptions for any thing self-claimed as culturally important, you're opening it up to be taken advantage of. I'm not saying this student is trying to take advantage, but the ones who will follow through the open door.

If I was the school, I would probably tried to make sure there was a very long notice period or grandfather period to give the family the most time possible to deal with it, whether they would cut it or establish him at a new school. Springing it on a family on short notice is the real offense in a situation like this.

I would have considered some modifications around tying it up in a very specific and somewhat inconvenient way. Something that a student with a cultural attachment to their hair so ingrained that they would change schools over it would be willing to do, but a burnout white boy that wants to needle the system would not be willing to continue doing after a week or two. At least grandfathered for students currently in the system.
None of this happened though. Spring it on short notice? Check the calendar, school just started and he showed up in violation of the code. The parents knew, he had older siblings that went to O'Gorman. In fact, the entire city of Sioux Falls knows there is a dress and appearance code at O'Gorman.

As to letting this slide by and now springing it on him. The kid is a FRESHMAN. He's in his first days at his new school. He would have previously attended O'Gorman Jr. High which is a completely different school in a different location with different administrators. I suppose you could blame them for not enforcing the rules at the junior high a elementary levels for the last several years, but not O'Gorman Senior High. This is a new situation for the Sr. High and they are evenly applying their rules.

Serious beef with this kid's parents. They know the rules and are playing the race card to bring negative light on the school and pressure them into giving this kid special accommodations. They mention how this kid already feels different. What better way to ostracize your kid even further. Just how do you think that is going to go over with the rest of the student body that has to follow the rules? Honestly, these parents can F off and yes, I would tell them that straight to their face.

And since when is long hair a cultural thing for black people? I could make the case that long hair is more cultural to white people. Rock and roll, heavy metal, northern Europe, Scandinavia, hell, have any of you ever seen a Viking before? The Germanic tribes?

This entire story is BS and a non-story. Just more race baiting BS that is pervasive in our media.

James Daniels and some other former Iowa players made some really interesting points about how the Iowa program was perceived as racist by some (not them) because the programs dress code was base upon white cultural norms.
Lol that you think @abby97 would have any clue who James Daniels is.

Reactions: dgordo
He IS playing the victim and the race card. Did you read the article? He is not say I don't agree with the policy so I'm going to work to change it or transfer, he said the length of his hair was part of his culture and that was why he was complaining. Well if that is the case, then it was part of his culture when he enrolled in the school and maybe he or his parents should have enrolled at a different school.
Completely wrong. He didn't say anything - you keep getting that wrong. His parents said his hair length is cultural, that's why he wants to keep it long. There is NOTHING wrong with that. That's not being a victim, it's explaining why it's important to him. The school did not enforce this rule before so the parents are questioning why - that is completely reasonable and everyone should be asking "why now?". The parents worked with the school on a compromise that will allow him to complete the semester and then transfer - that is completely reasonable as well.

The biggest issue here is YOU calling the kid a victim who is claiming racism. That is a complete LIE and disgusting.

What is it called when you attack the person rather than the argument they made? Ah yes Ad Hominem
I meant to target the person - you. If you want to know why the analogy is stupid, just ask. I'm guessing most others understand why.

The school did not enforce this rule before so the parents are questioning why - that is completely reasonable and everyone should be asking "why now?".
This is not true. First, you need to re-read the article and comprehend it better. He is a freshman new to O'Gorman Sr. High. Second, his parents have had kids go through the school before, they certainly understand the dress and appearance code. Third, this kid was in the Catholic Jr High school system, which is different administrators.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
None of this happened though. Spring it on short notice? Check the calendar, school just started and he showed up in violation of the code. The parents knew, he had older siblings that went to O'Gorman. In fact, the entire city of Sioux Falls knows there is a dress and appearance code at O'Gorman.

As to letting this slide by and now springing it on him. The kid is a FRESHMAN. He's in his first days at his new school. He would have previously attended O'Gorman Jr. High which is a completely different school in a different location with different administrators. I suppose you could blame them for not enforcing the rules at the junior high a elementary levels for the last several years, but not O'Gorman Senior High. This is a new situation for the Sr. High and they are evenly applying their rules.

Serious beef with this kid's parents. They know the rules and are playing the race card to bring negative light on the school and pressure them into giving this kid special accommodations. They mention how this kid already feels different. What better way to ostracize your kid even further. Just how do you think that is going to go over with the rest of the student body that has to follow the rules? Honestly, these parents can F off and yes, I would tell them that straight to their face.

And since when is long hair a cultural thing for black people? I could make the case that long hair is more cultural to white people. Rock and roll, heavy metal, northern Europe, Scandinavia, hell, have any of you ever seen a Viking before? The Germanic tribes?

This entire story is BS and a non-story. Just more race baiting BS that is pervasive in our media.
Where did the parents play the race card? How are they doing anything more than questioning "why now" and explaining why the long hair is important to their son?

The parents handled this fine as did the school. You and others who are claiming "race card" is being played are simply wrong.

This is not true. First, you need to re-read the article and comprehend it better. He is a freshman new to O'Gorman Sr. High. Second, his parents have had kids go through the school before, they certainly understand the dress and appearance code. Third, this kid was in the Catholic Jr High school system, which is different administrators.
Look the kid is an aggrieved victim and you won’t convince him otherwise

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT