ADVERTISEMENT

South Dakota high school says Black student must cut his hair for dress code

This is not true. First, you need to re-read the article and comprehend it better. He is a freshman new to O'Gorman Sr. High. Second, his parents have had kids go through the school before, they certainly understand the dress and appearance code. Third, this kid was in the Catholic Jr High school system, which is different administrators.
He is not new to the school system which has the same requirements throughout. There is nothing in the article about their other kids having had any reason to question the rule about hair. We don't even know if those kids had long hair. The overall administration is the same.

Quit making shit up.

Where did the parents play the race card? How are they doing anything more than questioning "why now" and explaining why the long hair is important to their son?
Because they are, at worst, being disingenuous, and at best lying. "Why now?" When they've had other kids go through the school. They know the code. When the student in question is a FRESHMAN! Why now? Because he just walked through the door. It wasn't an issue at the High School until he walked through the door and it became an issue. Then their response is to say "Why now?" and take it to the media? To portray the school, in South Dakota, as racist to a national audience.

F THESE PARENTS!!!

Reactions: goldmom
The khakis and polos make sense to me. Public schools should adopt that type of dress code IMO. Grooming rules about in hair length do not. Staying home while you treat lice is a good grooming rule.
If it's a private school, that's up to them. So is enforcement of the rule.

When the kid said it was "cultural" what does that mean to you?
Same thing as religious--it's something positive and personal. "Race" invokes a negative connotation as though though the person is being discriminated against.

He is not new to the school system which has the same requirements throughout. There is nothing in the article about their other kids having had any reason to question the rule about hair. We don't even know if those kids had long hair. The overall administration is the same.

Quit making shit up.
Let me ask you something Riley. Who do you think knows more about this story? The guy in South Dakota that attended Catholic school or you?

Do you even know where O'Gorman HS is? Have you been in the building? Do you know anybody from that school? I can answer YES to every one of those questions.

He IS playing the victim and the race card. Did you read the article? He is not say I don't agree with the policy so I'm going to work to change it or transfer, he said the length of his hair was part of his culture and that was why he was complaining. Well if that is the case, then it was part of his culture when he enrolled in the school and maybe he or his parents should have enrolled at a different school.
please show me where this kid has said anything in the article you listed.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Because they are, at worst, being disingenuous, and at best lying. "Why now?" When they've had other kids go through the school. They know the code. When the student in question is a FRESHMAN! Why now? Because he just walked through the door. It wasn't an issue at the High School until he walked through the door and it became an issue. Then their response is to say "Why now?" and take it to the media? To portray the school, in South Dakota, as racist to a national audience.

F THESE PARENTS!!!
GTFO - you have NO WAY of knowing whether this code was known by the parents. If they had not encountered it, why would they know? If it wasn't enforced before, why would they think it would be at high school?

You're the one trying to make this a race thing. I think we all know why.

Let me ask you something Riley. Who do you think knows more about this story? The guy in South Dakota that attended Catholic school or you?

Do you even know where O'Gorman HS is? Have you been in the building? Do you know anybody from that school? I can answer YES to every one of those questions.
If you're talking about you, then definitely I know more because you've proven to be ignorant in this thread.

GTFO - you have NO WAY of knowing whether this code was known by the parents. If they had not encountered it, why would they know? If it wasn't enforced before, why would they think it would be at high school?

You're the one trying to make this a race thing. I think we all know why.
There is just no helping you. They've had two other kids go through the school. EVERY student and parent, and hell, most of the general public, is aware that private schools have dress and appearance codes.

You have no idea what you are talking about with this subject. Just move on.

If you're talking about you, then definitely I know more because you've proven to be ignorant in this thread.
Okay. Personal knowledge and first hand experiences make me ignorant yet you, who just reads and posts stuff on the internet knows more.

Yeah, we're done here.

Reactions: abby97 and goldmom
Private schools provide a student handbook and parents as well as students are asked to READ it.
Don’t agree with the rules? No problem. Don’t enroll.

The policy is in the student handbook. Page 32. It's very close to the policy at the Catholic HS my son attended in NC. It's usually enforced more strictly when the student participates in extra curricular activities that have spectators.

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1624893917/sfcssorg/hhcftikihc1jrzylbjmy/OGHS_2021-2022OGHSHandbook.pdf

When my son started high school, I had to go to an orientation, and they went over the handbook. I had to sign some acknowledgements.

The kid and his parents were aware of the rules.

There is just no helping you. They've had two other kids go through the school. EVERY student and parent, and hell, most of the general public, is aware that private schools have dress and appearance codes.

You have no idea what you are talking about with this subject. Just move on.
GFY - you have no idea what these people knew other than the hair length restriction was not being upheld.

There are lots of rules that schools and other organizations have that the people involved are not familiar with. You've presented this as a family using race and playing victim - that is not the case. Quit making shit up.

Okay. Personal knowledge and first hand experiences make me ignorant yet you, who just reads and posts stuff on the internet knows more.

Yeah, we're done here.
You have NO personal knowledge about this situation. Claiming that you do makes you a liar in addition to your ignorance.

Top notch trolling by Riley in this thread. Reeling em in left and right.

Private schools provide a student handbook and parents as well as students are asked to READ it.
Don’t agree with the rules? No problem. Don’t enroll.
You're presented with rules you have to agree to for countless things such as employee handbooks, web sites, credit cards, etc., etc. etc. that you don't read or commit to memory. The issue here isn't the rule, it's the spotty enforcement and then those on here trying to paint this kid and his family as playing the "race card".

The policy is in the student handbook. Page 32. It's very close to the policy at the Catholic HS my son attended in NC. It's usually enforced more strictly when the student participates in extra curricular activities that have spectators.

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1624893917/sfcssorg/hhcftikihc1jrzylbjmy/OGHS_2021-2022OGHSHandbook.pdf

When my son started high school, I had to go to an orientation, and they went over the handbook. I had to sign some acknowledgements.

The kid and his parents were aware of the rules.
And apparently wasn't, in this case. Thus the questioning now.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Top notch trolling by Riley in this thread. Reeling em in left and right.
If so, it got you. Not surprised.

But, alas, you are wrong again. As usual.

Maybe you can show us where this kid is claiming racism in that article.

• Haha
I wonder if they would be so quick to ask for hair cuts if all that hair was covering up earings that looked like little prostates. Food for thought...

You're presented with rules you have to agree to for countless things such as employee handbooks, web sites, credit cards, etc., etc. etc. that you don't read or commit to memory. The issue here isn't the rule, it's the spotty enforcement and then those on here trying to paint this kid and his family as playing the "race card".
Just because you get away with speeding on Monday, doesn’t mean you can’t get a ticket on Tuesday.

Just because you get away with speeding on Monday, doesn’t mean you can’t get a ticket on Tuesday.
Another really stupid analogy.

As I said, I think they worked out a reasonable compromise. But the idea that questioning "why now" somehow makes this kid someone who is playing victim and the "race card" is absurd.

• Haha
And apparently wasn't, in this case. Thus the questioning now.
It wasn't in the handbook? How do you know that? Did you make that up?

“Can students wear dreadlocks? Yes, they can,” Groos said. “We simply want the length of the hair to be at the collar or right above the collar. Right there is what we ask for. To be clean, neat and well-cared for.”

Chloe Goldade, public information officer for the Bishop O'Gorman Catholic Schools system, said Braxton was among "upwards of about 20 male students asked to comply" with the policy since Aug. 18.

The dress code policy at O’Gorman is reviewed every five years, and was last updated in 2018, Groos said.

It wasn't in the handbook? How do you know that? Did you make that up?

“Can students wear dreadlocks? Yes, they can,” Groos said. “We simply want the length of the hair to be at the collar or right above the collar. Right there is what we ask for. To be clean, neat and well-cared for.”

Chloe Goldade, public information officer for the Bishop O'Gorman Catholic Schools system, said Braxton was among "upwards of about 20 male students asked to comply" with the policy since Aug. 18.

The dress code policy at O’Gorman is reviewed every five years, and was last updated in 2018, Groos said.
You ****ing moron, it wasn't enforced. JFC.

• Haha
Reactions: ft254 and abby97
Completely wrong. He didn't say anything - you keep getting that wrong. His parents said his hair length is cultural, that's why he wants to keep it long. There is NOTHING wrong with that. That's not being a victim, it's explaining why it's important to him. The school did not enforce this rule before so the parents are questioning why - that is completely reasonable and everyone should be asking "why now?". The parents worked with the school on a compromise that will allow him to complete the semester and then transfer - that is completely reasonable as well.

The biggest issue here is YOU calling the kid a victim who is claiming racism. That is a complete LIE and disgusting.
Your attempt at rationalizing a racist claim is despicable.

Yeah, we're done here.
RileyHawk has plenty of time to browse the web, you don't even have to look for work anymore to collect unemployment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT