ADVERTISEMENT

Religious Advice Needed

I see you haven’t taken my advice about the boob pics! If karma burns your house down, I will not feel bad for you at all!

Our universe might have slid into equilibrium emitting nothing more thank a quite hiss. The fact that is spawned such plenitude is a miracle, one that is matched only by your universe giving rise to you.

Interesting that when I click that link it takes me to a page about a forged report of Jesus's death, not evidence of his crucifixion.

Jesus's crucifixion is a historical fact. You can ask a scholar of ancient history.

Bart Ehrman wrote:

"The crucifixion of Jesus is one of the most secure facts we have about his life."

To be found is certainly unlikely enough, but to ever have been is the true miracle.

It all changes when the fire nation attacks. Only the avatar has mastered all four elements so you must find the avatar.

Jesus's crucifixion is a historical fact. You can ask a scholar of ancient history.

Bart Ehrman wrote:

"The crucifixion of Jesus is one of the most secure facts we have about his life."
Again, your link does not take me to that unqualified quote.

Moreover your new link to "little known facts" is all based on the bible.

Do you have any sources that would satisfy skeptics? Simply claiming something is an historic fact is not proof. Finding so-called scholars of ancient history who have drunk the Kool Aid isn't particularly convincing, either.

Don't misunderstand. I've always said that the odds are good that some real person (or persons) underpin the Jesus mythology. But you can believe that Jesus was a real person, and even believe that he was crucified - since crucifixions certainly happened - without any requirement to believe in the divinity claims.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
Again, your link does not take me to that unqualified quote.

Moreover your new link to "little known facts" is all based on the bible.

Do you have any sources that would satisfy skeptics? Simply claiming something is an historic fact is not proof. Finding so-called scholars of ancient history who have drunk the Kool Aid isn't particularly convincing, either.

Don't misunderstand. I've always said that the odds are good that some real person (or persons) underpin the Jesus mythology. But you can believe that Jesus was a real person, and even believe that he was crucified - since crucifixions certainly happened - without any requirement to believe in the divinity claims.

I can't convince an atheist of anything which is why I encourage you to ask a scholar of ancient history if Jesus was a real person.

That being said, here's another link BUT I know I can't convince atheists of anything they don't want to believe, even historical facts like Jesus's crucifixion.

"In short, the abundance of historical texts converts the real existence of Jesus into what McCane defines as a “broad and deep consensus among scholars,” regardless of their religious beliefs. “I do not know, nor have I heard of, any trained historian or archaeologist who has doubts about his existence,” he adds. With the weight of all this evidence, for Meyers “those who deny the existence of Jesus are like the deniers of climate change.”

Last edited:
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Well OP, Find one where you're not already on track for the worst possible outcome and go with that.

All the major world religions are out. As is you aren't destined for 72 virgins, are a strong favorite for hell, and not on track for Nirvana...all of those require faith.

Maybe that pot smoking religion, might be fun to try at least...

I can't convince an atheist of anything which is why I encourage you to ask a scholar of ancient history if Jesus was a real person.

That being said, here's another link BUT I know I can't convince atheists of anything they don't want to believe, even historical facts like Jesus's crucifixion.

"In short, the abundance of historical texts converts the real existence of Jesus into what McCane defines as a “broad and deep consensus among scholars,” regardless of their religious beliefs. “I do not know, nor have I heard of, any trained historian or archaeologist who has doubts about his existence,” he adds. With the weight of all this evidence, for Meyers “those who deny the existence of Jesus are like the deniers of climate change.”

Again, there's hardly anything there supporting your position. The facts presented cast doubt. The supporting bits are simply claims in the nature of "everybody agrees." This is horrible scholarship.

• Haha
Again, there's hardly anything there supporting your position. The facts presented cast doubt. The supporting bits are simply claims in the nature of "everybody agrees." This is horrible scholarship.

My position is that Jesus existed historically and was crucified. Both are true.

What are your credentials in ancient history?

I presented two scholars that wrote Jesus's crucifixion is a historical fact and that Jesus 100% existed historically.

There's such a wide consensus that Jesus existed among academia that it's unscholarly to believe otherwise.

You should ask a historical scholar if Jesus existed.

Please report back your findings.

Here's atheist scholar Bart Ehrman who has written a dozen books on the subject.

Last edited:
My position is that Jesus existed historically and was crucified. Both are true.

What are your credentials in ancient history?

I presented two scholars that wrote Jesus's crucifixion is a historical fact and that Jesus 100% existed historically.

There's such a wide consensus that Jesus existed among academia that it's unscholarly to believe otherwise.

You should ask a historical scholar if Jesus existed.

Please report back your findings.

Here's atheist scholar Bart Ehrman who has written a dozen books on the subject.

I like Bart. Have read his book, Lost Christianities. But even in your video, he acknowledges that widespread acceptance among western scholars of those times is not proof. And the only "proof" he offers is 1 guy who he says knew Jesus's brother and Peter.

Frankly, if 1 guy is all there is, I may have to revisit my position that Jesus probably existed.

Not only is it just 1 guy, but it requires us to believe that the guy told the truth.

Makes me think of this:

• Haha
I like Bart. Have read his book, Lost Christianities. But even in your video, he acknowledges that widespread acceptance among western scholars of those times is not proof. And the only "proof" he offers is 1 guy who he says knew Jesus's brother and Peter.

Frankly, if 1 guy is all there is, I may have to revisit my position that Jesus probably existed.

Not only is it just 1 guy, but it requires us to believe that the guy told the truth.

Makes me think of this:

There's alot more evidence that Jesus existed besides "1 guy."

There are Jewish (Josephus), Roman (Tacitus) and also Christian sources that wrote about Jesus.

There's also the fact that Christianity exploded where Jesus was crucified in Jerusalem. If Jesus didn't exist, that's alot harder to explain.

Please ask some scholars in the field if Jesus existed and report back. Ask them for evidence.

You can email them. Let me know how they respond.

Last edited:
There's alot more evidence that Jesus existed besides "1 guy."

There are Jewish (Josephus), Roman (Tacitus) and also Christian sources that wrote about Jesus.

There's also the fact that Christianity exploded where Jesus was crucified in Jerusalem. If Jesus didn't exist, that's alot harder to explain.

Please ask some scholars in the field if Jesus existed and report back. Ask them for evidence.

You can email them. Let me know how they respond.
So, I just watched this video. There doesn't seem to be "a lot more evidence besides 1 guy." Bart identifies the guy in this video. It's Paul. A heavy hitter, to be sure, but hardly unbiased.

Bart also mentions Josephus and Tacitus. So that's 3 guys. None of whom have first hand knowledge, and I think he said the last 2 only mention Jesus once, in passing.

If I'm understanding Bart correctly, that's it. Three hearsay accounts, 2 of them just passing mentions.

Do you have anything that holds up better?

Now Bart seems to be convinced Jesus was real. So there's that. But notice that when he says Jesus was real, all he's really saying is that some guy named Jesus lived. Not that he was divine or did miracles or was resurrected or any of the God stuff. An itinerant preacher who's followers did not think he was God, who probably couldn't write, and didn't make much of an impression.

So, I just watched this video. There doesn't seem to be "a lot more evidence besides 1 guy." Bart identifies the guy in this video. It's Paul. A heavy hitter, to be sure, but hardly unbiased.

Bart also mentions Josephus and Tacitus. So that's 3 guys. None of whom have first hand knowledge, and I think he said the last 2 only mention Jesus once, in passing.

If I'm understanding Bart correctly, that's it. Three hearsay accounts, 2 of them just passing mentions.

Do you have anything that holds up better?

Now Bart seems to be convinced Jesus was real. So there's that. But notice that when he says Jesus was real, all he's really saying is that some guy named Jesus lived. Not that he was divine or did miracles or was resurrected or any of the God stuff. An itinerant preacher who's followers did not think he was God, who probably couldn't write, and didn't make much of an impression.

Will you please email 3 credentialed scholars asking them if Jesus was a real person and respond back here?

You can ask them for their evidence if Jesus was real and if Jesus was crucified.

My bigoted advice: Don't become a Protestant unless you get your religious education in Europe. Become a real Christian (Roman Catholic) if u live in America or don't bother. Not all American Protestant churches are like Jesus is America and America is Jesus, but some right wing actors in the business communiry/religious leaders (including some disgraced Catholics) worked very hard in the early-mid 20th century to make Protestantism compatible with post-industrial capitalism and help teach Protestants that their behavior and actions don't really matter because god knows their true faithful hearts (which aren't apparent to most). If you go Catholic, you have a way more problematic history with the church but they put out Catholic Social Teaching in late 19th century and it is social democracy (+ unfortunately anti-LGBTQetc). Church did the same soul searching about the antisemitism that everyone in the world did after WWII and any Catholic education since Vatican 2 preaches religious tolerance. Same soul searching done by everyone except rural Protestants if they didn't have any loved ones who saw concentration caps in person. Those Protestants frequently still get taught weird early 20th century anti-Catholic bigotry along with casual-to-intense antisemitism. FWIW I taught myself anti-Protest bigotry by interacting with them as a carney child and later rural high school student. A lot of these folks have learned to ask Catholics weird questions the Pope, praying to saints, transubstantiation, etc, from their parents and pastors. People who tell me they believe equally ridiculous parts of my religion have hang-ups relatively minor to Christ raising Lazarus and later himself from the dead. And then they also believe all their sins are forgiven because God knows their hearts, they don't have to feel guilty if they don't do any of the hard work actually being a Christian would entail if you were taking cues cues from Christ in the mangod's own supposed words.

My bigoted advice: Don't become a Protestant unless you get your religious education in Europe. Become a real Christian (Roman Catholic) if u live in America or don't bother. Not all American Protestant churches are like Jesus is America and America is Jesus, but some right wing actors in the business communiry/religious leaders (including some disgraced Catholics) worked very hard in the early-mid 20th century to make Protestantism compatible with post-industrial capitalism and help teach Protestants that their behavior and actions don't really matter because god knows their true faithful hearts (which aren't apparent to most). If you go Catholic, you have a way more problematic history with the church but they put out Catholic Social Teaching in late 19th century and it is social democracy (+ unfortunately anti-LGBTQetc). Church did the same soul searching about the antisemitism that everyone in the world did after WWII and any Catholic education since Vatican 2 preaches religious tolerance. Same soul searching done by everyone except rural Protestants if they didn't have any loved ones who saw concentration caps in person. Those Protestants frequently still get taught weird early 20th century anti-Catholic bigotry along with casual-to-intense antisemitism. FWIW I taught myself anti-Protest bigotry by interacting with them as a carney child and later rural high school student. A lot of these folks have learned to ask Catholics weird questions the Pope, praying to saints, transubstantiation, etc, from their parents and pastors. People who tell me they believe equally ridiculous parts of my religion have hang-ups relatively minor to Christ raising Lazarus and later himself from the dead. And then they also believe all their sins are forgiven because God knows their hearts, they don't have to feel guilty if they don't do any of the hard work actually being a Christian would entail if you were taking cues cues from Christ in the mangod's own supposed words.

Palm Sunday is a good day for you to come back. :)

Masstimes.org

Palm Sunday is a good day for you to come back. :)

Masstimes.org
Does that start ordinary time? I can't remember the calendar. Once saw this song being introduced (somewhat jokingly) about being about ordinary time since singer/songwriter is grad of Creighton Prep in Omaha:

You’re being quite disingenuous. I guess academic and scholarly consensus only suits you when it suits your interests.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT