ADVERTISEMENT

Remember 2004 FIVE Star LB Kyle "Bone Crusher" Williams? See where he is now.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
First off, where the heck did that 15 years go?

Kyle made some bad life choices. He recently wrote this to Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register: “As much as I hold the (Iowa football) program in high regard, I equally rue the day I left it. In retrospect, I have come to realize that Iowa was the university best-suited for what I needed at that time in my life.”

Kyle was 6-foot-2, 220 pounds as a senior. Williams was timed running a 4.47-second 40-yard dash as a high schooler — a rare speed for even the best NFL linebackers.

Lester Erb was the lead recruiter. Iowa was the second school in on him when he was a sophomore and Iowa became the early front-runner. Erb had deep connections in the Chicago prep scene, and those paid off. Williams says they formed an instant connection. Erb, now on the staff at Rutgers, declined to be interviewed for this story.

“I always liked the Iowa uniforms. It reminded me of the (Pittsburgh) Steelers,” Williams says.

One problem: Williams scored only a 17 on his ACT test, one point shy of the mark needed to play college football. He arrived in Iowa City in June 2004, was assigned No. 57 and given one clear instruction: Spend the next two months studying to get a passing test result in August.

“That’s a pretty reasonable plan,” Williams acknowledges. “At the time, I had no desire to study. It was so foolish.

“I was still smoking and drinking and partying.”

When Williams took the exam again, he cheated from the man next to him and got a 25. The NCAA Clearinghouse flagged Williams’ result, since an eight-point jump in test results was irregular. Williams retook the test without the ability to crib answers — a 17 again.

Iowa was already into its August practice schedule. Williams had spoken at the team’s media day, telling reporters: “I just want to contribute to this team in any way that I can.”

Williams was one of the star attractions of the Hawkeyes’ Kids Day scrimmage. He was the five-star recruit everyone wanted to see.

And then he was gone.

Williams left the Iowa campus for the final time 15 years ago this week. He said then he was coming back that next January. He says now that was never his plan.

The Full Story: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ls-recruit-purdue-illinois-prison/1960637001/

Last edited:
I remember we were all shouting for joy when the "Bonecrusher" gave us his verbal. Too bad the way things worked for him and the team. Another one who would never be. Sounds like he has the right perspective now. I wish him well.

It's crazy to think that in the 20 years Ferentz has been head boss, of all the 5 star recruits he's landed (which are obviously a scant few), AJ will be the first one to pan out.

It ain't the pot son. This kid was a physco, and my guess is he always will be. He ain't right in the head.
You can’t be 100% sure his drug use didn’t impact what he did or lead to it. It impacts everyone different especially those with other issues.

I know many who started with pot and ended with hardcore drugs. Of those that I know what smoked pot, a higher percentage did other drugs vs those that didn’t.

You can’t be 100% sure his drug use didn’t impact what he did or lead to it. It impacts everyone different especially those with other issues.

I know many who started with pot and ended with hardcore drugs. Of those that I know what smoked pot, a higher percentage did other drugs vs those that didn’t.
How many people do you know who smoked pot? Practically my whole high school and the other 2 high schools' kids did where I grew up, and no where near the percentage you mention went on to do "hard drugs". We are talking about 10,000 plus kids. It was a partying time, but we understood the difference between pot and heroin.

Reactions: onionman1
Hadn’t thought about this guy in a long time before rivals had this article in the end of July talking about the highest ranked recruit for every big 10 school. Sadly Williams was 1 of 3 guys whose career ended because of being arrested and kicked off the team with another guy getting a 8 year jail term. Plus Purdue’s top guy kicked off the team after 2 OWIs. Basically 4 of the 14 just F’d up their playing careers with off the field issues.

https://n.rivals.com/news/the-highest-ranked-commits-for-each-big-ten-team

Reactions: Franisdaman
Having the world licking your balls as an 18 year old breeds narcissism that some get overwhelmed by.

This! I had a buddy who was the star in his little town. He was being recruited and everyone in the town was in awe of him. He literally went to school to play sports. He never went to class and never did any homework. But yet he was always on the B honor roll. He got pulled over one night at age 17 with booze in his car and they let him go. The town was wrapped around his pinky finger.

He went to a decent Div 2 school and didn’t even make it through camp. Got in trouble and was kicked off. He came back and got into METH and one night robbed a house while high. He went to jail for 10 years and got out.

He is now a devout Christian and does not smoke/drink. He’s a changed person and he talks about those days as being the darkest in his life. Where he grew up, his house was destroyed in a tornado. His best friend was killed by a drunk driver while he was in the pen.

He’s trying to use his story to motivate other people to get clean.

The point stands as previously stated. It ain't the pot son. You have to be one sick SOB to plan and execute the shit this guy did, on more than one occasion.

He didn't make some poor decision in the "heat of the moment". He's the human version of a simple minded pit bull, and his fate should be the same.

I didn’t really realize the severity of the crimes he committed until reading the article. And they left out some of the more disturbing parts until almost the end of the story.

I hope he really has changed as he claims to have. It would be interesting to see the statistics about what percentage of violent sex offenders like him relapse.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Steven says. “And I want him down here with me because I’m a man. I know what it’s like to be an African-American man in the United States."

I've gone to college as well as served in a combat zone with "African-American" men...not once have I heard them say this. Those same individuals have gone on to become Commissioned Officers, college degree holders, truck drives, WalMart workers....not once have I ever heard them say this.

His dad obviously had issues...as did son. The only question is...who's issues lead to who's issues?

Reactions: Rustys Dad

I suspect they didn't start with pot. If we are going to identify a gateway drug then let's be honest. Tobacco is where things start. To lay all the blame on Mary J is disingenuous and naïve.

The point stands as previously stated. It ain't the pot son. You have to be one sick SOB to plan and execute the shit this guy did, on more than one occasion.

He didn't make some poor decision in the "heat of the moment". He's the human version of a simple minded pit bull, and his fate should be the same.
yeah, 3 brutal attacks of 3 girls is far from "normal" human behavior. and mary jane & alcohol use had nothing to do with these attacks. he was an extremely aggressive monster on and unfortunately off the field.

he's been in jail 13 years. has he truly been rehabilitated? 13 years! crazy.

luckily for him, he has a job waiting for him when get gets out. his brother owns a company & will employ him and will be looking over his shoulder when he gets out.

interesting, too, that Kyle's dad committed suicide. i wonder how much Kyle's failed path had to do with it.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal... What a load of crap...

"There was hubris and booze, marijuana, mendacity and, ultimately, malice."

Hey kids, remember to listen to the 46yr old men on Hawkeye forums who tell you that marijuana usage as an adult makes you cool.

That wacky tobacco sure will make you do some terrible things :rolleyes:

That wacky tobacco sure will make you do some terrible things :rolleyes:

I have a good friend, a very bright young man who seemingly has become dependent on marijuana and on occasion abuses alcohol. Hard-working, ambitious guy who before the age of 25 started two businesses. Not somebody I could ever imagine abusing women. Yet he seems unfocused and his mind doesn't always seem there. Being much older I find it really frustrating at times.

Marijuana dependency IMO gets tricky because a good many people like my friend function day to day seemingly like normal. It gets even more complicated because of the legalization issues and whether or not society regards it as a criminal activity which I don't think we should.

How many people do you know who smoked pot? Practically my whole high school and the other 2 high schools' kids did where I grew up, and no where near the percentage you mention went on to do "hard drugs". We are talking about 10,000 plus kids. It was a partying time, but we understood the difference between pot and heroin.
Definitely not the whole high school, that’s for sure. At parties people would leave if it was around as it was generally a precursor to other things. Or the ones who did went somewhere else.

Prescription drugs started the opioid crisis. We also have a major problem in this country with prescribed speed/meth.

I’m not gonna get into the merits of weed as a gateway drug or something that would lead to violent behavior such as the case with Kyle Williams when we have this crap actually bringing down our society, people believe what they want to believe sometimes.

Prescription drugs started the opioid crisis. We also have a major problem in this country with prescribed speed/meth.

I’m not gonna get into the merits of weed as a gateway drug or something that would lead to violent behavior such as the case with Kyle Williams when we have this crap actually bringing down our society, people believe what they want to believe sometimes.

Don't know if you meant to refer to my post about weed or not but first let me say I agree with your point about prescription drugs and the opoid crisis which nobody in power seems to want to address. I made my point about weed to highlight that dependency does have effects that don't always lead to Kyle Williams type behavior. Many people use and enjoy it recreationally which I think leads to taking it kind of lightly.

Nah I can tell you’re an older guy mostly likely from my parent’s generation that in many ways cultivated the pot culture of following generations mine included, but as my father always says the pot is a lot stronger these days haha.

Joking aside my old man is definitely correct and certainly there are negative side effects to just about anything let alone a mind/mood altering drug that can lead to dependency which I think you were referring to.

That being said, I think most of us can agree that Kyle Williams’ story had very little to do with his marijuana use.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
yeah, 3 brutal attacks of 3 girls is far from "normal" human behavior. and mary jane & alcohol use had nothing to do with these attacks. he was an extremely aggressive monster on and unfortunately off the field.

he's been in jail 13 years. has he truly been rehabilitated? 13 years! crazy.

luckily for him, he has a job waiting for him when get gets out. his brother owns a company & will employ him and will be looking over his shoulder when he gets out.

interesting, too, that Kyle's dad committed suicide. i wonder how much Kyle's failed path had to do with it.

Imagine a 47yr old father and mother getting high with their teenage children.
You'd be like, "what's wrong with that"?

Last edited:
Nah I can tell you’re an older guy mostly likely from my parent’s generation that in many ways cultivated the pot culture of following generations mine included, but as my father always says the pot is a lot stronger these days haha.

Joking aside my old man is definitely correct and certainly there are negative side effects to just about anything let alone a mind/mood altering drug that can lead to dependency which I think you were referring to.

That being said, I think most of us can agree that Kyle Williams’ story had very little to do with his marijuana use.

You should reread it. His crutch helped keep him in denial about his other issues. May not be the prime motivating factor, but to argue he wouldn't have been better off without it is silly.

You should reread it. His crutch helped keep him in denial about his other issues. May not be the prime motivating factor, but to argue he wouldn't have been better off without it is silly.

Very well put Steven. Marijuana does become a crutch even if it doesn't directly lead to other issues. Not sure the other poster meant that
Williams wouldn't have been better off without it. Very tough case to make IMO. Dependency and habitual use veer you off the path one way or another.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT