ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle McCord to Iowa?

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Since I can’t post anything from BleacherReport they said he was on Iowa’s list then I found this article … not sure how much substance this is but it would be nice to have a former Michigan and OSU qb in the 2 deeps coming this spring

Since I can’t post anything from BleacherReport they said he was on Iowa’s list then I found this article … not sure how much substance this is but it would be nice to have a former Michigan and OSU qb in the 2 deeps coming this spring

He's going to Nebraska

From the article: “He is not a particular threat on his feet and did not score a rushing TD in 2023.”

Kirk started blowing up the kid’s phone the second he heard McCord was in the portal. Unfortunately, Kyle, you won’t be throwing to Marvin Harrison, Jr. if you come here.

Unless Iowa has unlimited NIL funds or has found the next Brad Banks, focus on the OL and receivers.

From the article: “He is not a particular threat on his feet and did not score a rushing TD in 2023.”

Kirk started blowing up the kid’s phone the second he heard McCord was in the portal. Unfortunately, Kyle, you won’t be throwing to Marvin Harrison, Jr. if you come here.

Unless Iowa has unlimited NIL funds or has found the next Brad Banks, focus on the OL and receivers.
Will Olineman be willing to come to Iowa knowing we have multi- year starters returning and the way KF handles this? We could get an all american left tackle and I would bet the ranch Richman would still be 1st string…

Will Olineman be willing to come to Iowa knowing we have multi- year starters returning and the way KF handles this? We could get an all american left tackle and I would bet the ranch Richman would still be 1st string…
1. I think it would shuffle. Richman to RT, Dunker to guard or something like that.
2. Dejong should never see the field again. Do whatever we have to do to make that happen. (He has one year eligibility left, right?)
3. Play calling makes this line look so much worse. Defense knows what we are doing. Change that and they are formidable next year.

Well we better get a QB. Labas is gone, Lainez must not have it (or they would have at least tried him for 1 series), Hill flat out sucks, and you can bet the glass legs will break again early next season. Resar won't get a chance as a true freshman....so who we gonna have at QB? Yep....good ole Deacon Hill...all 270 lbs of him. Slow, fat, horrible mechanics, no pocket awareness, and doesn't take care of the ball. Get a damn QB!

I don’t know about that. All the main portal guys from last year were a significant part of the depth chart (I don’t know why Kaleb Brown didn’t break in until much later). Rusty Feth certainly contributed and started a lot of games this season.

The need at OL is still there. Even if a guy just brings quality depth that’s still worth its weight in gold. Does Iowa have quality depth behind multiple starters? I haven’t seen it or heard of it.

And FTR, yes, if Iowa landed a Marshal Yanda or Tristan Wirfs in the portal, I have no doubt Kirk would start him. Tbh, I think the reason Kirk sticks with guys we deem as being bad (i.e. quarterback) is because the backup is literally worse, as hard as that is to believe sometimes (until we finally see what Padilla looks like). Granted, I think our terrible quarterback development over the last couple years is because Tommy Boy was put in charge of QBs, but my point still stands.

Yes, I genuinely believe the best available talent is on the field (unless it’s some type of discipline issue).

1. I think it would shuffle. Richman to RT, Dunker to guard or something like that.
2. Dejong should never see the field again. Do whatever we have to do to make that happen. (He has one year eligibility left, right?)
3. Play calling makes this line look so much worse. Defense knows what we are doing. Change that and they are formidable next year.
Agree with this, Dunker, if he gets a shot at the NFL, will be a Guard. Would love to see us get a legit Left Tackle.

Play calling makes this line look so much worse. Defense knows what we are doing. Change that and they are formidable next
This is a very good and often overlooked point. Iowa plays offense inside a phone booth and with absolutely zero threat of a vertical passing game opposing defenses are playing downhill flying to the football.

The OL plays with little confidence because of it and things snowball from there.

Well we better get a QB. Labas is gone, Lainez must not have it (or they would have at least tried him for 1 series), Hill flat out sucks, and you can bet the glass legs will break again early next season. Resar won't get a chance as a true freshman....so who we gonna have at QB? Yep....good ole Deacon Hill...all 270 lbs of him. Slow, fat, horrible mechanics, no pocket awareness, and doesn't take care of the ball. Get a damn QB!
Tell us how you really feel 😂… I mostly agree, if we had a real QB coach, I’m still interested in Lainez, but who knows.
According to those at practice, Labas was BY FAR the best QB. However he was lazy, couldn’t learn the playbook, late to practice, and smoked a ton of weed. Brian absolutely hated him. So we got Bacon Hill.

You know, a team that actually uses a QB for more than just handoff or throw an occasional short pass.
What games are you watching? Vs Michigan Hill had 32 passes and was sacked on 4 more designed passes. At no point was the run committed to in that game.

This false narrative that Iowa fans have been pedaling for years is incredibly annoying

Reactions: F5n5 and hawk224
Well we better get a QB.
Of course they need to get a quarterback. And one who is not an inaccurate statue like Deacon Hill.

The point is unless you have unlimited funds to have two high-priced QBs on your roster (McCord is not going to have a conversation with anyone who isn’t talking two commas), then NIL should be prioritized in other more pressing positions of need. That doesn’t mean you don’t bring in a quarterback out of the portal. It means you need to be realistic about the type of splash you can make when pursuing a quarterback out of the portal. You’re not going after a Bo Nix when you plan on having Cade McNamara be your starter in 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
This false narrative that Iowa fans have been pedaling for years is incredibly annoying
200.gif

I don’t know about that. All the main portal guys from last year were a significant part of the depth chart (I don’t know why Kaleb Brown didn’t break in until much later). Rusty Feth certainly contributed and started a lot of games this season.

The need at OL is still there. Even if a guy just brings quality depth that’s still worth its weight in gold. Does Iowa have quality depth behind multiple starters? I haven’t seen it or heard of it.

And FTR, yes, if Iowa landed a Marshal Yanda or Tristan Wirfs in the portal, I have no doubt Kirk would start him. Tbh, I think the reason Kirk sticks with guys we deem as being bad (i.e. quarterback) is because the backup is literally worse, as hard as that is to believe sometimes (until we finally see what Padilla looks like). Granted, I think our terrible quarterback development over the last couple years is because Tommy Boy was put in charge of QBs, but my point still stands.

Yes, I genuinely believe the best available talent is on the field (unless it’s some type of discipline issue).
Barring injury our starting o-line next year will be Richman, Elsbury, Jones, Colby, Dunker. Guaranteed.

Of course they need to get a quarterback. And one who is not an inaccurate statue like Deacon Hill.

The point is unless you have unlimited funds to have two high-priced QBs on your roster (McCord is not going to have a conversation with anyone who isn’t talking two commas), then NIL should be prioritized in other more pressing positions of need. That doesn’t mean you don’t bring in a quarterback out of the portal. It means you need to be realistic about the type of splash you can make when pursuing a quarterback out of the portal. You’re not going after a Bo Nix when you plan on having Cade McNamara be your starter in 2024.
I don't disagree with you. I'm saying we need a QB that can be serviceable (just being serviceable is a significant upgrade over Hill) and has a decent shot at staying healthy (IMO, McNamara won't be healthy more than 2 to 3 games in). The QB I'm describing isnt a million dollar NIL guy. But...at least we'd have a healthy and average QB. We are dead in the water if we are putting all our chips on Cade (which means on Hill).

Okay.

Then that will be disappointing.
Maybe so, but as you already pointed out play calling is a VERY big part of the problem, and you don't need to steal Iowa's signs to know whats coming. Another tackle should certainly be a priority, but if we can actually stretch the field a bit, I think this line could be pretty solid. From the current rumors many of Iowa's upper classmen on defense may be returning. We are currently very close to the 85 I believe with incoming frosh, and any of Black, Castro, CDJ, Harris, Schulte, Higgins and Jackson (great for the defense) would put is over the limit, and some culling will need to be done. This year will NOT be a big one for the portal for Iowa just based on available numbers so we'll need to be very selective. IF several of the defense studs return then OT , and maybe another WR would be big. Lots of factors though. How did the three freshman WR look this year? How many defense starters return. This will be fluid for the next couple of months.....

I don't disagree with you. I'm saying we need a QB that can be serviceable (just being serviceable is a significant upgrade over Hill) and has a decent shot at staying healthy (IMO, McNamara won't be healthy more than 2 to 3 games in). The QB I'm describing isnt a million dollar NIL guy. But...at least we'd have a healthy and average QB. We are dead in the water if we are putting all our chips on Cade (which means on Hill).
💯

Maybe so, but as you already pointed out play calling is a VERY big part of the problem, and you don't need to steal Iowa's signs to know whats coming. Another tackle should certainly be a priority, but if we can actually stretch the field a bit, I think this line could be pretty solid. From the current rumors many of Iowa's upper classmen on defense may be returning. We are currently very close to the 85 I believe with incoming frosh, and any of Black, Castro, CDJ, Harris, Schulte, Higgins and Jackson (great for the defense) would put is over the limit, and some culling will need to be done. This year will NOT be a big one for the portal for Iowa just based on available numbers so we'll need to be very selective. IF several of the defense studs return then OT , and maybe another WR would be big. Lots of factors though. How did the three freshman WR look this year? How many defense starters return. This will be fluid for the next couple of months.....
💯

Him and Fleming going to Nebraska before Iowa.

I thought Chubba was their guy?
They've had several QBs who were their "guy". I saw an article from a Nebby site saying they were the frontrunner for McCord, so I thought I'd give the Nebby trolls on our board some excitement.

Last edited:

The Statue of Liberty is still available and has two years of eligibility left. Venus de Milo has one year remaining but handing off the ball may be difficult and throwing a pass is out of the question.

• Haha
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Richman should be a D3 lineman.

Lainez must not have it (or they would have at least tried him for 1 series) …
I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m sure some fans remember 2012, when Iowa went 4-8 behind James Vandenberg, who struggled all season long. Yet, Vandenberg took an astonishing 100% of the snaps that year. Many folks drew the conclusion from this that his backup, a young player named Jake Rudock, must have been even worse. Of course, that wasn’t true. Rudock did fairly well when he ended up as QB1, though he was eventually surpassed by CJ Beathard. But Rudock did go on to perform well at Michigan, and later played in the NFL.

Bottom line: Never assume there is any logic to the way QBs are utilized at Iowa.

Last edited:
We should have that average QB on the roster already in Lainez. Just an average QB as you said would be a huge upgrade over Hill. It would be interesting to see what Hill could be if he lost 60lbs.

I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m sure some fans remember 2012, when Iowa went 4-8 behind James Vandenberg, who struggled all season long. Yet, Vandenberg took an astonishing 100% of the snaps that year. Many folks drew the conclusion from this that his backup, a young player named Jake Rudock, but have been even worse. Of course, that wasn’t true. Rudock did fairly well when he ended up as QB1, though he was eventually surpassed by CJ Beathard. But Rudock did go on to perform well at Michigan, and later played in the NFL.

Bottom line: Never assume there is any logic to the way QBs are utilized at Iowa.

Its like the only thing KF hates worse than seeing his boy fired from OC job is to have a QB controversy.

I think we are stuck with McNamara and Hill and I wouldn't get excited by the OSU guy anyway, since he doesn't offer much upgrade in mobility. My ideal sitation would be a new OC coming in that wants a mobile QB and brings his own guy in to be QB. Obviously unlikely.

Tell us how you really feel 😂… I mostly agree, if we had a real QB coach, I’m still interested in Lainez, but who knows.
According to those at practice, Labas was BY FAR the best QB. However he was lazy, couldn’t learn the playbook, late to practice, and smoked a ton of weed. Brian absolutely hated him. So we got Bacon Hill.
Interesting
Discipline is iowas persona so I get the unwillingness to let an undisciplined guy get the starting job; too bad damnit

Lainez, we don't know. The "we would have seen him one series".
Wrong.

Lainez, we don't know. The "we would have seen him one series".
Wrong.
Wrong? Why do you say that? Because Kirk never allows it? Do you not remember Padilla last year?

They have zero faith in Lainez. Zero. Or, he would have got one series at some point this season. Hill is a God damn disaster. And he does the thing Kirk despises the most...operates loose with the football. Sorry...but Marco must really suck. He's not the answer.

Like I said....we need an average QB that can stay healthy from the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Wrong? Why do you say that? Because Kirk never allows it? Do you not remember Padilla last year?

They have zero faith in Lainez. Zero. Or, he would have got one series at some point this season. Hill is a God damn disaster. And he does the thing Kirk despises the most...operates loose with the football. Sorry...but Marco must really suck. He's not the answer.

Like I said....we need an average QB that can stay healthy from the portal.
How do you know he sucks, you really trust Kirk with QB decisions??
I don't, Kirk is proving to be the worst mind in college fb offensively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT