ADVERTISEMENT

Remember beating Mississippi State

DutchyFunStar

HR MVP
Aug 8, 2014
Caught just a second on the Big Ten Network and couldn't believe how loaded that D was
Hankins-NFL Practice Squad, Falcons
Ojemudia- Broncos
Gervase- Rams
Hooker-Titans
Geno Stone- Ravens
Moss-nfl bound

Anthony Nelson- Buca
Chauncey- Cowboys
Hesse- TE with the Falcons
Matt Nelson - 6th OL Lions
Epenesa- Bills
Lattimore- Practice Squad somewhere

Nick Niemann- Chargers

Offense had plenty of guys make the league too
Hockenson-Vikings
B Smith- Cowboys Practice Squad
ISM- Cheifs
Easly - couple seasons with Bills
Sgt- Raiders
Stanley- practice squad for a bit
Fant- but he sat out the bowl game

Caught just a second on the Big Ten Network and couldn't believe how loaded that D was
Hankins-NFL Practice Squad, Falcons
Ojemudia- Broncos
Gervase- Rams
Hooker-Titans
Geno Stone- Ravens
Moss-nfl bound

Anthony Nelson- Buca
Chauncey- Cowboys
Hesse- TE with the Falcons
Matt Nelson - 6th OL Lions
Epenesa- Bills
Lattimore- Practice Squad somewhere

Nick Niemann- Chargers

Offense had plenty of guys make the league too
Hockenson-Vikings
B Smith- Cowboys Practice Squad
ISM- Cheifs
Easly - couple seasons with Bills
Sgt- Raiders
Stanley- practice squad for a bit
I was there and will never forget the cowbells. I almost went back to the hotel to watch the game. That's a lot of nfl players on that team.

Thought this thread was going to be about the Miss State defense when I opened it. As another poster said, three first rounders on that defense (Sweat, Simmons, Abram) with Simmons being one of the best defensive players in the NFL now. Also had Willie Gay (starter for the Chiefs) and Cameron Dantzler (starter for the Vikings). Absolutely loaded, I still can't believe we won that game!

Thought this thread was going to be about the Miss State defense when I opened it. As another poster said, three first rounders on that defense (Sweat, Simmons, Abram) with Simmons being one of the best defensive players in the NFL now. Also had Willie Gay (starter for the Chiefs) and Cameron Dantzler (starter for the Vikings). Absolutely loaded, I still can't believe we won that game!
I know I'm lame replying to myself, but this got me thinking too, the level of NFL talent Iowa has played in bowl games over the KF era is incredible. I'm not sure this is the case for other programs. Off the top of my head, and this is mostly just skill position guys:

- Wes Welker
- Carson Palmer
- Troy Polamalu
- JaMarcus Russell (huge bust, I know, but still #1 overall pick)
- Dwayne Bowe
- Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin (Brodell wasn't impressed)
- Demaryius Thomas
- OBJ
- Jarvis Landry
- Christian McCaffery
- AJ Dillon
- Jeffery Simmons
- Amon-Ra St Brown
- Michael Pittman
- Drake London
- Will Levis

I remember the video of the Mississippi St dude who went off about them losing to a bad Iowa team. Funny as hell.
That would be Brandon Walker of Barstool. He's still PO'd over that loss.

I know I'm lame replying to myself, but this got me thinking too, the level of NFL talent Iowa has played in bowl games over the KF era is incredible. I'm not sure this is the case for other programs. Off the top of my head, and this is mostly just skill position guys:

- Wes Welker
- Carson Palmer
- Troy Polamalu
- JaMarcus Russell (huge bust, I know, but still #1 overall pick)
- Dwayne Bowe
- Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin (Brodell wasn't impressed)
- Demaryius Thomas
- OBJ
- Jarvis Landry
- Christian McCaffery
- AJ Dillon
- Jeffery Simmons
- Amon-Ra St Brown
- Michael Pittman
- Drake London
- Will Levis
Like the Brodell comment. Damn I love the Alamo bowl.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Trashiest opponent Iowa has played probably in my lifetime. Trashy fans with the cowbells. Trashy players talking smack during a joint team visit to a children's hospital. Trash.
Hey, I am going to say it, we are talking about the state of Miss. This last year the state govts incompetence in overseeing and taking care of the drinking water in iirc their state capital was fully shown to the world as just being terrible for years.

Alabama and MIss both have by far the highest number of amendments to their state constitution which is a measure of a not very good government.

I drove into Miss one Saturday while was on business in Memphis. I went to Miss to play golf and it felt really bad by the immediate presence of soooo many confederate flags.

Hey, I am going to say it, we are talking about the state of Miss. This last year the state govts incompetence in overseeing and taking care of the drinking water in iirc their state capital was fully shown to the world as just being terrible for years.

Alabama and MIss both have by far the highest number of amendments to their state constitution which is a measure of a not very good government.

I drove into Miss one Saturday while was on business in Memphis. I went to Miss to play golf and it felt really bad by the immediate presence of soooo many confederate flags.

Mississippians chose to view their history of the Civil War, as "evolved" from secession and slavery to the great Lost Cause for liberty. Which is at least partially true but that truth conceals a much bigger truth, the liberty for which the South fought was the liberty to enslave.

I suppose that's how they rationalize some of the bravest men ever dying for one of the worst causes ever-particularly the thousands that didn't even support that cause but really did think they were fighting for individual liberty. I wonder how many men thought about the irony of their deaths as they bled out?

The ultimate tragic figure really was Robert E. Lee. A lifetime abolitionist, family linked to the very formation of the country, married to George Washington's (step) granddaughter. Completely convinced that the Union was dissolvable, just a voluntary confederation of independent sovereign states. Lee's decision to surrender the AoNV at Appomattox and not breaking into guerilla bands was probably the most patriotic act ever done by an American. Lee didn't know that he wouldn't be hanged or that Lincoln had arranged for generous terms of surrender, or that Grant would be so generous and merciful. The younger General Gordon proposed the guerilla option the night before Appomattox. He said later that Lee's quiet answer so thoroughly rebuked the idea that he, Gordon, moved out of the immediate campfire he felt such shame for even raising the subject.

Sorry for the tangent boys. You triggered the historian in me. Wife calls it "Teddy's pop-up history". Parents

Mississippians chose to view their history of the Civil War, as "evolved" from secession and slavery to the great Lost Cause for liberty. Which is at least partially true but that truth conceals a much bigger truth, the liberty for which the South fought was the liberty to enslave.

I suppose that's how they rationalize some of the bravest men ever dying for one of the worst causes ever-particularly the thousands that didn't even support that cause but really did think they were fighting for individual liberty. I wonder how many men thought about the irony of their deaths as they bled out?

The ultimate tragic figure really was Robert E. Lee. A lifetime abolitionist, family linked to the very formation of the country, married to George Washington's (step) granddaughter. Completely convinced that the Union was dissolvable, just a voluntary confederation of independent sovereign states. Lee's decision to surrender the AoNV at Appomattox and not breaking into guerilla bands was probably the most patriotic act ever done by an American. Lee didn't know that he wouldn't be hanged or that Lincoln had arranged for generous terms of surrender, or that Grant would be so generous and merciful. The younger General Gordon proposed the guerilla option the night before Appomattox. He said later that Lee's quiet answer so thoroughly rebuked the idea that he, Gordon, moved out of the immediate campfire he felt such shame for even raising the subject.

Sorry for the tangent boys. You triggered the historian in me. Wife calls it "Teddy's pop-up history". Parents

That is good information but I disagree as to the level of Lee's decision to surrender. He was a very great general and he knew he had totally depleted forces, lost the railroads and ports, etc etc so surrendering was the thing he had to do to save his men and anymore destruction.

What might have happened to history if Lee the West Point grad would have stayed neutral or even came out against succession as a way to solve political and cultural problems.

We live in a very good country that has made some terrible mistakes by some less than virtuous leaders.

state govts don't oversee or take care of drinking water in any city, take over for a time maybe

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
That would be Brandon Walker of Barstool. He's still PO'd over that loss.

Let's go Brandon! I hope you find your long lost chromosomes.

???

I never mentioned race.
No. It just might have appeared that way as we went on therant about the fan who lost it and then we went on a redneck rant which i think is true. So I took your post as the whole fan base which is exactly true. The whole fan base sucked and the team was just as bad. That was a win i really enjoyed.

Coaching?

Reactions: Bishop1971
I was there parked next to a Miss State fan. After the game in his true southern drawl he said "I caint believe we lost to a bunch of big fat slow white boys from the Big Ten". My response......"You certainly did"
Was it the same guy in the video posted earlier in the thread? lol ;)

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
That is good information but I disagree as to the level of Lee's decision to surrender. He was a very great general and he knew he had totally depleted forces, lost the railroads and ports, etc etc so surrendering was the thing he had to do to save his men and anymore destruction.

What might have happened to history if Lee the West Point grad would have stayed neutral or even came out against succession as a way to solve political and cultural problems.

We live in a very good country that has made some terrible mistakes by some less than virtuous leaders.
That's a frequent debate. Consider historic examples and that decision was not inevitable. The Spanish did not give up when Napolean destroyed their armies. The surviving soldiers took to the hills, the original guerillas (just the name not the strategy) blended with the civilian population. We fought half the Revolutionary War with guerillas hiding in the very same mountains and then huge forests where the Confederate bitter enders could have hidden. We killed millions of Viet Cong and NVRs but they kept fighting a guerilla war that eventually wore down our country's willingness to fight in Vietnam. Afghanistan, same thing.

There is no guarantee the Northern States would have been any more willing to fight a forever guerilla war in the 1860s and 1870s than we contemporary Americans were to fight forever in Vietnam or Afghanistan. Remember, the war never became popular until the spring of 1865, when US victory was assured...the bandwagon effect.

The Army of Northern Virginia was not surrounded at Appomattox, the road south and into the Appalachians was wide open. There were still 30,000 heavily armed soldiers that could have splintered into hundreds of little guerilla armies. Joe Johnstons army, also around 30,000 had a wide-open road into that same area. This is to say nothing of the large Rebel forces scattered around the swamps in Mississippi, the mountains in southeastern Tennessee, Bedford Forest's army-heading West to continue the war in bayous of Louisiana, Mississippi, then on to the completely wild country in Texas, western Arkansas, southern Missouri and even the Indian Territories.

As for your last statement, think about whatever bad we've done and then compare it to the vast span of human history. More gently judge our country. We are pikers within the scope of human evil. Jesus, within the lifetime of my grandparents, the world saw the rise of Bolshevism and the murder of twenty million "enemies of the people"; the rise of Hitler and the industrialized murder of ten million people in actual death factories; and the rise of Communist China and Mao-they've probably killed close to 100 million for "political crimes" since they poked themselves to historical notice in the 1930s civil war in China. The Mongols killed hundreds of millions before they burned out. Indeed, the Mongols, as was typical in mass migrations, exterminated entire populations by killing all the males and then breeding the women with Mongols. Most people don't know this but approximately 16 million of the entire modern human population is descended from Ghengis Kahn or possibly his brothers. That's just two or three Mongols.

You think about the worst thing done in the name of the United States, slavery, and it pales in comparison to the atrocities of the French revolution, much less history's long list of lamentable crimes. Slavery was a nearly universal human practice when it came to Virginia, so it is hard to morally judge the people of that time for doing what was being done everywhere else and had been since the beginning of time. Not just in Europe and Asia but in the Africa and the Americas. My God, the Aztec's entire culture and religion were built around slavery, keeping far more slaves for more centuries than the United States has been a country. Even when we abolished slavery it was, and remains, extensively practiced elsewhere. Indeed, the Plains tribes kept slaves into the 1890s and the Apache until the 1880s.

Moreover, we are pikers that are generally marching toward a higher morality. Of which other nation in history can that be said? As Randy Newman said, we may not be perfect, but Heaven knows we try.

Obviously, I wanted to be a history professor and my parents made me be a lawyer.

Now, if we get some damn football news to discuss, on anything....​

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
With the kind of talent MSU had, and the trash their players talked, the Hawk win was especially enjoyable. I will forever have great memories of that game, especially since it was my kid's last game wearing the black and gold, and all of our immediate family and friends were able to attend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT