ADVERTISEMENT

Remember that year we had a Heisman runner-up

Yah, the guy KF had split time at the position the year before. I guess Banks had a helluva summer before his senior year. LOL

Your observation is just more evidence that KF has NO IDEA what the hell a real QB looks like. And to bookend that fact, he ran Deacon Hill out there for almost an entire season! A guy who was headed to Fordham before the Bud Man snagged him, a guy who was a slow, talentless, turnover machine. A guy who transferred to Utah Tech (look it up). The only hope Iowa has ever had on offense under Ferentz is if he gets the hell outta the way. Lester knows offense and QBs. Leave him alone, and Iowa will be the surprise offense in the country this season.
Meh. The more I look back at the games in that 2001 season, the more I accept that everything worked out the way it was meant to (except for that f***ing Iowa State game) for 2002.

Banks becoming the main starter in 2001 wouldn't have made much of a difference, and in fact, I'd argue could've even hurt things for that special 2002 season.

Teams just weren't ready for Banks with Iowa's offense in 2002. A modern day comparison would be us buying say a C.J. Stroud/Justin Fields for a season with NIL and winning the B10 out of nowhere because teams couldn't adjust to Iowa suddenly having an athletic playmaker at QB running their ball control pro style offense.

The other overlooked aspect of those early Ferentz teams were that they had some of the best college receivers in program history helping Banks.

Guys like Mo Brown, C.J. Jones, Ed Hinkle, and even a potential HOF TE in Dallas Clark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT