ADVERTISEMENT

Reminiscing

Garbanzo Joe

Scout Team
Sep 16, 2023
Over the past coupe of weeks I have been thinking about the late era Lute Olson Hawkeyes way too much. When I was young I would go to the Field House to shoot hoops and on one of these trips William Mayfield let me beat him at HORSE. Yes he was in a cast and he was super nice so let the 12 year old me win. The payoff for my "win" was a trip to Hawkeye locker room. Ronnie Lester was shy and Kenny Arnold was a super nice guy. Some recollection of Vince Brookins and Tom Norman being cool. Wish I would have understood how special that trip was. Thanks William!

I would say Tom and Fran have done the same. High quality guys but just not as successful on the court. Alford certainly doesn’t belong in that tier for quality despite the overwhelming majority of them being good guys. His black eyes are too tarnishing….and he’s just a tool.

Last edited:
I would say Tom and Fran have done the same. High quality guys but just not as successful on the court. Alford certainly doesn’t belong in that tiger for quality despite the overwhelming majority of them being good guys. His black eyes are too tarnishing….and he’s just a tool.
Fran every bit the tool Alford was. Tom Davis head and shoulders above both.

Some of you likely are going to be pissed off by this comment, but I was a very young boy at the triple overtime loss in the old field house versus Minnesota 100 years ago… There were a lot, and there are some old timers on here that will back me up on this, who wanted Lute Olson gone & thought he’d reached his “plateau“..

Griping during that game was absolutely brutal…, Yet another story of the fans not knowing shit about Coaching until it’s too late…

Some of you likely are going to be pissed off by this comment, but I was a very young boy at the triple overtime loss in the old field house versus Minnesota 100 years ago… There were a lot, and there are some old timers on here that will back me up on this, who wanted Lute Olson gone & thought he’d reached his “plateau“..

Griping during that game was absolutely brutal…, Yet another story of the fans not knowing shit about Coaching until it’s too late…
nothing for anyone to be upset about here. we lost and negative people did what negative people always do, they determine as the experts they think they are that the coach is at fault. I was there as well and the reasons for the loss can be shared by any number of people including some suspect officiating.

Over the past coupe of weeks I have been thinking about the late era Lute Olson Hawkeyes way too much. When I was young I would go to the Field House to shoot hoops and on one of these trips William Mayfield let me beat him at HORSE. Yes he was in a cast and he was super nice so let the 12 year old me win. The payoff for my "win" was a trip to Hawkeye locker room. Ronnie Lester was shy and Kenny Arnold was a super nice guy. Some recollection of Vince Brookins and Tom Norman being cool. Wish I would have understood how special that trip was. Thanks William!
I've often wondered what happened to William "Sweet May" Mayfield. I have several articles I've always wanted him to autograph, but failed to get accomplished. I don't know that he has ever returned to IC during the reunions, but I may be wrong about that.

Lutes’ style of play, the way he coached (my opinion only) was to do everything at a high level….every aspect of the game. Defense, offense, rebounding, limiting turnovers…fast break when it was available, pressure when it would best work…..and taking advantage of the talent he had on his team. Molded the team through the season.

Broke heart when lute missed on Isaiah Thomas and Terry Cummings...his recruiting was so-so cept for Ronnie.

Broke heart when lute missed on Isaiah Thomas and Terry Cummings...his recruiting was so-so cept for Ronnie.
Yes and that had to play a part in Lute looking for his next desitination to be easier to recruit vs Iowa. Either of those two guys and Iowa/Lute would have gone to final 4 again.

The old field house was center of Iowa B-ball. I remember being able to see players shooting hoops on their own. Also sneaking in to watch Lute Olson and the team practice. Iowa B-ball was really popular because they went to final-4. Just like Women's team is popular now because of success.

Unfortunately Carver is lame for home court advantage vs the field house.

Reactions: perryhawk
Disagree. Fran is a hot head during competition but otherwise he is a class act. Players love him, he and Margaret work hard for cancer charity.
He ain't perfect but way better than SA.
This! Fran is a great caring person in real life.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT