ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans confront Sen. Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala over military holds in extraordinary showdown on Senate floor

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican senators angrily challenged Sen. Tommy Tuberville on his blockade of almost 400 military officers Wednesday evening, taking over the Senate floor for more than four hours to call for individual confirmation votes after a monthslong stalemate.

Tuberville, R-Ala., stood and objected to each nominee — 61 times total, when the night was over — extending his holds on the military confirmations and promotions with no immediate resolution in sight. But the extraordinary confrontation between Republicans, boiling over almost nine months after Tuberville first announced the holds over a Pentagon abortion policy, escalated the standoff as Defense Department officials have repeatedly said the backlog of officials needing confirmation could endanger national security.

“Why are we putting holds on war heroes?" asked Republican Sen. Dan Sullivan of Alaska, himself a colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. “I don't understand.”

Wrapping up for the night at almost 11 p.m., Sullivan said the senators will keep returning to the floor to call up nominations. If the standoff continues and officers leave the military, he said, Tuberville's blockade will be remembered as a "national security suicide mission.”

South Carolina Sen. Lindsay Graham told Tuberville, who mostly sat quiet and alone as they talked, that he should sue the military if he thinks the policy is illegal. “That’s how you handle these things,” Graham said.

After Tuberville objected to a vote on a two-star general nominated to be a deputy commander in the Air Force, Graham turned and faced him. “You just denied this lady a promotion," Graham said angrily to Tuberville. "You did that.”

This image from Senate Television video shows Sen. Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala., speaking on the Senate floor Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023. Republican senators angrily challenged Tuberville on his blockade of almost 400 military officers Wednesday evening, taking over the Senate floor for hours to call for individual confirmation votes after a monthslong stalemate on the issue. (Senate Television via AP)
Tuberville said Wednesday there is “zero chance” he will drop the holds. Despite several high-level vacancies and the growing backlog of nominations, he has said he will continue to hold the nominees up unless the Pentagon ends — or puts to a vote in Congress — its new policy of paying for travel when a service member has to go out of state to get an abortion or other reproductive care. President Joe Biden's administration instituted the policy after the Supreme Court overturned the nationwide right to an abortion, and some states have limited or banned the procedure.

“I cannot simply sit idly by while the Biden administration injects politics in our military from the White House and spends taxpayers' dollars on abortion," Tuberville said.

Showing obvious frustration and frequent flashes of anger, the Republican senators — Sullivan, Graham, Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst, Indiana Sen. Todd Young and others — read lengthy biographies and praised individual nominees as they called for vote after vote. They said they agree with Tuberville on the policy, but questioned — as Democrats have for months — why he would hold up the highest ranks of the U.S. military.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

Sullivan said Tuberville is “100 percent wrong” that his holds are not affecting military readiness. Ernst said the nominees are being used as “political pawns.” Utah Sen. Mitt Romney advised Tuberville to try to negotiate an end to the standoff. All of them warned that good people would leave military service if the blockade continues.

As the night wore on, Sullivan and Ernst — herself a former commander in the U.S. Army Reserve and Iowa Army National Guard — continued to bring up new nominations and appeared to become increasingly frustrated. They noted that they were bringing up the nominations “one by one” as Tuberville had once called for, and asked why he wouldn't allow them to go forward. Tuberville did not answer.

“I do not respect men who do not honor their word,” Ernst said at one point.

Sen. Ernst speaks about men who do not honor their word at the 12:16:52 mark

Sullivan said “China is smiling” as the United States blocks its own military heroes. “As an American, it almost wants to make you weep.”

The GOP effort to move the nominations came after Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Wednesday morning they are trying a new workaround to confirm the officers. Schumer said the Senate will consider a resolution in the near future that would allow the quick confirmation of the now nearly 400 officers up for promotion or nominated for another senior job.

The resolution by Senate Armed Services Chairman Jack Reed, D-R.I., and Independent Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona would tweak the rules until the end of this session of Congress next year to allow a process for the Senate to pass multiple military nominations together. It would not apply to other nominations.

To go into effect, the Senate Rules Committee will have to consider the temporary rules change and send it to the Senate floor, where the full Senate would have to vote to approve it. That process could take several weeks and would likely need Republican support to succeed.

“Patience is wearing thin with Senator Tuberville on both sides of the aisle,” Schumer said.

Schumer separately moved to hold confirmation votes as soon as Thursday on three top Pentagon officers affected by the holds — Adm. Lisa Franchetti to be the Chief of Naval Operations, Gen. David Allvin to be chief of staff of the U.S. Air Force and Lt. Gen. Christopher Mahoney to serve as assistant commandant for the U.S. Marine Corps.

Sullivan had gathered enough signatures to force a vote on Franchetti and Allvin and spoke out in frustration about the issue at the weekly GOP lunch on Tuesday, according to a person familiar with Sullivan’s comments who requested anonymity to discuss the closed-door meeting.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell has also criticized the holds, saying on Tuesday that they are “a bad idea” and he’d tried to convince the Alabama Republican to express his opposition some other way.

Tuberville said earlier on Wednesday he disagrees with the Democratic effort to try to get around his hold and pass the nominations in large groups, arguing that the workaround would “burn the city down” and take away one of the only powers that the minority party has.

The new efforts to move the nominations come after the Marine Corps said that Gen. Eric Smith, the commandant, was hospitalized on Sunday after “suffering a medical condition" at his official residence in Washington. Smith, who is currently listed in stable condition and is recovering, was confirmed to the top job last month, but had been holding down two high-level posts for several months because of Tuberville's holds.

Smith himself was blunt about the demands of serving as both assistant commandant and acting commandant for months in the wake of Gen. David Berger’s retirement after four years as the top Marine. In public remarks in early September, Smith described his grueling schedule as he juggled the strategic and oversight responsibilities of commandant and member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the personnel and management duties of the No. 2 job. “It is not sustainable,” Smith said. “What doesn’t stop is the clock. The adversary doesn’t take a pause.”

When Schumer announced the vote this week on Mahoney's nomination to be assistant commandant, he said Smith’s sudden medical emergency is “precisely the kind of avoidable emergency that Sen. Tuberville has provoked through his reckless holds.”

Tuberville has challenged Schumer to put each individual nomination on the floor. But Democrats have been hoping to force Tuberville’s hand as the number of stalled nominations has grown. “There’s an old saying in the military, leave no one behind,” Senate Armed Services Chairman Jack Reed said in July.

That strategy has become more difficult as months have passed, and as Tuberville has dug in. In September, Schumer relented and allowed confirmation votes on three of the Pentagon's top officials: Gen. CQ Brown, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Randy George, Army Chief of Staff, and Smith as commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.

And this is among the problems with the MAGA's. They don't care where they hold political fights so they basically go and fight them on any battlefield that exists and they don't care about what gets destroyed along the way.

Eventually their entire plan is the burn the whole thing down so it can all be remade in the image of their cult leader.

I'm thinking the real, internal polling is starting to look really, really bad for the GOP in 2024. If they don't start doing something about this they are looking at getting absolutely annihilated in the election next year. That's about the only thing I can think of that would get these people to actually start taking steps to be reasonable. Notice they weren't successful at that though.

I'm thinking the real, internal polling is starting to look really, really bad for the GOP in 2024. If they don't start doing something about this they are looking at getting absolutely annihilated in the election next year. That's about the only thing I can think of that would get these people to actually start taking steps to be reasonable. Notice they weren't successful at that though.

You underestimate the power of "transphobia" and "terrorists from Mexico" memes...

You underestimate the power of "transphobia" and "terrorists from Mexico" memes...
It gets a lot of online chatter, for sure. But the reality is you can count the number of special elections Republicans have won on one hand right now since they got power in 2022. They have been getting beat, badly, even in areas that went to Trump by 40 points. There are a lot of really good reasons for Republicans to be going into panic mode already, even if they try to pretend they aren't worried to the public.

It gets a lot of online chatter, for sure. But the reality is you can count the number of special elections Republicans have won on one hand right now since they got power in 2022. They have been getting beat, badly, even in areas that went to Trump by 40 points. There are a lot of really good reasons for Republicans to be going into panic mode already, even if they try to pretend they aren't worried to the public.
That’s quite the confidence from a Team Blue member. While you might be correct you do realize you have to most unpopular president in history at this point running for re-election right? Also the Senate map is very favorable for the Republicans this time around unlike 2022. I don’t think it’s gonna be a blowout to the proportions your predicting.

Reactions: sober_teacher
That’s quite the confidence from a Team Blue member. While you might be correct you do realize you have to most unpopular president in history at this point running for re-election right? Also the Senate map is very favorable for the Republicans this time around unlike 2022. I don’t think it’s gonna be a blowout to the proportions your predicting.
Anyone making projections right now is whistling in the wind.

Long way to go and a lot of things can happen between now and Nov 2024...

I'm just commenting on the behavior of Republicans and combining that with what has happened in pretty much every special election for the last 2 years. I make no predictions as to next year, it's still a year away and a lot can happen. But feel free to ignore all the data you wish, I really don't care.

I'm just commenting on the behavior of Republicans and combining that with what has happened in pretty much every special election for the last 2 years. I make no predictions as to next year, it's still a year away and a lot can happen. But feel free to ignore all the data you wish, I really don't care.
What data has Republicans getting wiped out next year? What special elections have occurred since Nov of 22 that you are referencing? The only polls I have seen is a guy has has 91 felony counts pending against him is tied or beating the current incumbent President. Doesn’t that worry you a little bit?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Abortion is just an excuse. Tuberville was a Jan 6 fake electors plotter, and is certainly part of the planning for stealing the election next year. He is holding as many top leadership positions in the military open so Trump can fill them with Mike Flynn MAGA types that will go along with imposing martial law to secure a permanent Trump/MAGA authoritarian government in Washington.

Abortion is just an excuse. Tuberville was a Jan 6 fake electors plotter, and is certainly part of the planning for stealing the election next year. He is holding as many top leadership positions in the military open so Trump can fill them with Mike Flynn MAGA types that will go along with imposing martial law to secure a permanent Trump/MAGA authoritarian government in Washington.

or he just thinks it's a political winner - at least one he can't back down from now - and also does not care at all about what real impacts it may have..

What's surprising is that there are Republicans who do care about the real impacts it is having.

What data has Republicans getting wiped out next year? What special elections have occurred since Nov of 22 that you are referencing? The only polls I have seen is a guy has has 91 felony counts pending against him is tied or beating the current incumbent President. Doesn’t that worry you a little bit?
Dude, can you read? Do you know what internal polling actually is? Do you know why it is important to differentiate between internal polling and general polling?

I've explained what I'm basing my comments on. You can like it or not, again, I really don't care.

Reactions: HawkMD

The polls paid for be Trump's campaign? There was a recent special election in deep red Tennessee and MAGA got waxed

Time to end this stupid policy. One malcontent redneck loser from Alabama should never have this much power.
Tuberville has challenged Schumer to put each individual nomination on the floor. But Democrats have been hoping to force Tuberville’s hand as the number of stalled nominations has grown. “There’s an old saying in the military, leave no one behind,” Senate Armed Services Chairman Jack Reed said in July.

That strategy has become more difficult as months have passed, and as Tuberville has dug in. In September, Schumer relented and allowed confirmation votes on three of the Pentagon's top officials: Gen. CQ Brown, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Randy George, Army Chief of Staff, and Smith as commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Why doesn't Schumer just bring them to a floor for a vote if a majority of the chamber are in favor?
They want unanimous consent, but that doesn't exist. There's another path - majority vote.
Why can't they do that like they did the others?

Reactions: artradley

Why doesn't Schumer just bring them to a floor for a vote if a majority of the chamber are in favor?
They want unanimous consent, but that doesn't exist. There's another path - majority vote.
Why can't they do that like they did the others?

Why can't Tuberville not play politics with our military?

Why can't Tuberville not play politics with our military?
I don’t know. I guess that’s how he rolls.
My question is, since Schumer has a way, and has used it in other instances already, why doesn’t he do it for the rest of them?
What is Schumer gaining by not bringing these to a floor vote since unanimous consent doesn’t exist?

Look at Team Red defending Tuberville's holds. You've gone so far down the rabbit hole, Coff. One of your guys is blocking merit based promotions. When did you stop believing in individual achievement and the American way?

Poor little Breadbags. She still thinks she's going to be one of the normals standing there when the cult disbands. The cult is the GOP now. Breadbags is the outlier.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Politics aside, weaking the US military for political grandstanding is abhorrent. I hate Graham, but he is on the right side of history here. Tuberville must be bought by a foreign govt, I see no other explanation.
When did the democrats officially take over as the party of war?

Haha I see that one triggered the cult in a big way. Joe biden and the democrats are
literally pro funding both sides of the war lol the billions in weapons biden gifted to the taliban are being used by hamas at the same time dems want to send military hardware and us troops to Israel. Amazing. Simply amazing. Plus 1 for the cult-speak in bringing up putin as well. You get extra feed bugs this week, comrade.

Haha I see that one triggered the cult in a big way. Joe biden and the democrats are
literally pro funding both sides of the war lol the billions in weapons biden gifted to the taliban are being used by hamas at the same time dems want to send military hardware and us troops to Israel. Amazing. Simply amazing. Plus 1 for the cult-speak in bringing up putin as well. You get extra feed bugs this week, comrade.
Destabilizing the US military to own the libs. Great job comrade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT