ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans postpone procedural vote on short-term funding deal

At this point it’s not any different from a college football game. Iowa-Iowa State or Army-Navy. You root for your side and against the other side. What’s good for your side is bad for their side etc. There’s no interest in finding any common ground.
I think when push comes to shove there's a core majority (folks in contested seats) that are still willing to negotiate and find common ground.

Unfortunately the group you describe is getting larger....

Reactions: cigaretteman
Has there been a weaker Speaker than Kevie in the last 50 years?

Asking for a friend.
McCarthy's fecklessness reminds me of Gabe from The Office.
gabe

Reactions: HROT
I think when push comes to shove there's a core majority (folks in contested seats) that are still willing to negotiate and find common ground.

Unfortunately the group you describe is getting larger....
I think you can reasonably divide the house into thirds. A third is very partisan Democrat, a third is very partisan Republican, a third is either D or R but is willing to compromise to get stuff done.

I think you can reasonably divide the house into thirds. A third is very partisan Democrat, a third is very partisan Republican, a third is either D or R but is willing to compromise to get stuff done.

I’m not even sure 1/3 is accurate. These current negotiations are being held up by about 10 republicans. All over a bill that is DOA in the senate already.

I’m not even sure 1/3 is accurate. These current negotiations are being held up by about 10 republicans. All over a bill that is DOA in the senate already.
Insanely dumb.

That crew isn’t interested at all in who wins in 2024. Their gigs are locked down and they make their living bitching about Dems and “Rhinos”.

Clowns

Inanely dumb.

That crew isn’t interested at all in who wins in 2024. Their gigs are locked down and they make their living bitching about Dems and “Rhinos”.

Clowns

It’s what kills me about McCarthy here. Even if only as a tactic; pick one of the spending bills, call Jeffries and ask what he’d need to get 30 or so Democrats to vote in favor and that the majority of the GOP caucus would support. Take that deal to Gaetz and co and spell it out for them that if they don’t play ball they’re going to get none of what they want.

It’s what kills me about McCarthy here. Even if only as a tactic; pick one of the spending bills, call Jeffries and ask what he’d need to get 30 or so Democrats to vote in favor and that the majority of the GOP caucus would support. Take that deal to Gaetz and co and spell it out for them that if they don’t play ball they’re going to get none of what they want.
It’s probably going to come down to that.

But to be fair he can’t come out of the gate with that. He has to try and herd his dysfunctional flock first….

I don’t see the Gaetz crew budging this time. SO dumb and self serving on their part.

It’s probably going to come down to that.

But to be fair he can’t come out of the gate with that. He has to try and herd his dysfunctional flock first….

I don’t see the Gaetz crew budging this time. SO dumb and self serving on their part.

He’s not smart enough to use that imo - to me the time to do something like this would have been during the speakership vote; after vote #13, 14, 15; I’d have already have made that overture (or at least do something like be seen at lunch with some Dems), to at least put it out there as a viable option.

Reactions: MitchLL
And I actually prefer gridlock to liberal spending. That said, the GOP is a disgrace because they aren't doing anything they could be doing to bring back fiscal sanity, or even get the conversation moving.
My post has nothing to do with policy. It has everything to do with performing the basic functions of governance. Rs struggle to do everything. Elect a Speaker, raise the debt ceiling, avert a shutdown. Every routine action has become a disaster under the Rs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT