ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds is all in with this conman to destroy Iowa Public Schools

Well if public schools made decisions in the best interest of students then I wouldn’t have a point. Why should they be trusted going forward?
So Ye’s school put the best interest of the students first? So I can take a broad brush and say all charter schools don’t take the best interest of students like you just did.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Because you are all about options and availability to improve kids education, when this solution isn’t even viable for over 80% of the student population, why are we even discussing this as an option? It putting more tax dollars back into the affluent pockets that are already sending their kids to private schools, let’s not beat around the bush as to what this is for. It’s not choice, it’s not improving education for students or public schools, it’s paying for the education of private schools that has always been disallowed under the separation of church and state.
I guess I don’t see it that way which is fine. Just from my own experiences I have seen where kids have gone from bad situations into better and have succeed in school and sport. But most don’t have that option so it makes me partial to wanting that option for them.

Just because the rural kid doesn’t have the option(and under your system he doesn’t either) why take the opportunity away from a kid in DSM or IC?
Under my system we collect taxes statewide and divert some of them collected from IC and Waukee and West Lake Okoboji and divert them to DSM and rural schools so they can pay more for better staffing and facilities. And religious schools can still largely fund themselves and remain free to teach their religious teachings. It's really uncomplicated basic stuff.

I guess I don’t see it that way which is fine. Just from my own experiences I have seen where kids have gone from bad situations into better and have succeed in school and sport. But most don’t have that option so it makes me partial to wanting that option for them.
Buts it’s not solving the primary issue of education in the state of Iowa? It is the wrong tool to fix the problem.

Under my system we collect taxes statewide and divert some of them collected from IC and Waukee and West Lake Okoboji and divert them to DSM and rural schools so they can pay more for better staffing and facilities. And religious schools can still largely fund themselves and remain free to teach their religious teachings. It's really uncomplicated basic stuff.
Your system? Is that something your pushing or is being used currently?

Your system? Is that something your pushing or is being used currently?

State of Iowa collects income taxes and its counties collect property taxes levied on real estate. Public schools are funded by a combination of these (oversimplification but basically how it works). I'm suggesting increasing the funding from the state to school districts that are struggling. I know, radical when compared with vouchers.

State of Iowa collects income taxes and its counties collect property taxes levied on real estate. Public schools are funded by a combination of these (oversimplification but basically how it works). I'm suggesting increasing the funding from the state to school districts that are struggling. I know, radical when compared with vouchers.
I know I’ll get heat for this but in NY urban schools will get most of their budget reimbursed from the state. So our closest district has a >$150mm budget(city population 30k). 80% of which is covered by the state and they are one of the worst districts in the county.

I know I’ll get heat for this but in NY urban schools will get most of their budget reimbursed from the state. So our closest district has a >$150mm budget(city population 30k). 80% of which is covered by the state and they are one of the worst districts in the county.

Well if they're already well funded in NY, it sounds like you should be pushing for them to be able to open-enroll to better public school districts like the one you're in (like is already possible in Iowa). My mediocre public high school had students open-enroll from a county away just to play on a better football team. If I had a driver's license and gas money and been emancipated from my parents, I could have open-enrolled to the school district I started 9th grade in. That's already all possible here.

Reactions: bunsen82
Lol look at Pinehawk disappearing behind the emoji reactions.
It's all been said. And, it doesn't much matter what you or anyone else thinks about if this should happen or not.
Reynolds is going to pursue this hard this legislative session. We will see...

Because she's a culture was c*nt who doesn't give a shit about Iowa
oo.gif

great way to dumb down the populous. this is a giveaway to religious zealots that homeschool and choose private school (i'm sure the vast majority vote R). These people have a myopic world view and hope to keep it looking that way.

If public schools and homeschoolers were forced to test and follow the same requirements as public school, you might have something. But that is not the case and has not even been discussed because that information would eventually lead to the conclusion that private schools do not teach better, they just have more affluent students that test higher.
Again, private schools will increase their price to keep the "undesirables" out.
If passed, private schools should be kicked out of the IHSAA and IGHSAU. Churches should be taxed as well.
Imagine the R's head's if you asked for 6k in basic income for poor people.

great way to dumb down the populous. this is a giveaway to religious zealots that homeschool and choose private school (i'm sure the vast majority vote R). These people have a myopic world view and hope to keep it looking that way.

If public schools and homeschoolers were forced to test and follow the same requirements as public school, you might have something. But that is not the case and has not even been discussed because that information would eventually lead to the conclusion that private schools do not teach better, they just have more affluent students that test higher.
Again, private schools will increase their price to keep the "undesirables" out.
If passed, private schools should be kicked out of the IHSAA and IGHSAU. Churches should be taxed as well.
Imagine the R's head's if you asked for 6k in basic income for poor people.

Do you support the giveaway / tuition forgiveness that Biden is championing?

And LOL at the union and association kicking out private schools.

You said 12/21 but we were talking 2020 and school starts in August (8/20)(sorry I said sept earlier, that’s NY). While we didn’t have vaccines etc Reynolds kept schools open and she should be applauded for that.
And fall runs through 12/21. SMFH

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
That charter schools have had a negative impact on overall education in the states they have been implemented. Some individual charter schools have had success but it is far from the norm and public schools have been negatively impacted.
The Khan Academy is an example and one that could be a basis for public school reform.

You keep ignoring the fact that few will actually have those options.

Yes, I guess some public schools might not be able to offer such critical courses as:
Sculpture, Metalworking, Creative Fabrics, Bible as Literature, French, and Lifestyle Fitness
https://www.iowacityschools.org/cms/lib/IA01903939/Centricity/Domain/2637/ICCSD Progr
Did I? I know I've said it likely will happen in previous threads that Joel started to cry about this.
And, I have no problem with it. Give each school aged kid their stipend to apply to the school they choose, which fits them best. There shouldn't be 'public or private' school debate. It's just 'school' and kids receive money to take where they want to be taught.
That is not how publicly collected tax money is spent. That is how an individual spends his/her money. The function of government is NOT to become a family...it is to govern, regulate and insure The rights of all its people’s.
With 10 teachers you had 100 students but you have 90 students, why do you still need 10 teachers? Classroom ratios stay the same. Public schools don’t want accountability that’s all this comes down to.
where’s that public school that has that 10-1 classroom teacher/student ratio? Now with special Ed kids where frequently 3-1 or smaller ratios are mandated, sometimes the numbers get “mis-conskewed” ( intentional).

That is not how publicly collected tax money is spent. That is how an individual spends his/her money. The function of government is NOT to become a family...it is to govern, regulate and insure The rights of all its people’s.

where’s that public school that has that 10-1 classroom teacher/student ratio? Now with special Ed kids where frequently 3-1 or smaller ratios are mandated, sometimes the numbers get “mis-conskewed” ( intentional).
It was an example for illustrative purposes.

I hope you realize how fortunate you are that you are able to have that be a consideration that you can include when deciding where to live. There are a lot of parents that can't get past if they can afford a place or not.

I get that, and there were desirable locations that we couldn't afford as well,... We simply did the adult thing and chose the best combination of school district and affordability that we could put together.

I get that, and there were desirable locations that we couldn't afford as well,... We simply did the adult thing and chose the best combination of school district and affordability that we could put together.
And my point is that many families that live in "bad" school districts have done the same thing. Moving to a different district is simply not a viable option for a lot of people.

And my point is that many families that live in "bad" school districts have done the same thing. Moving to a different district is simply not a viable option for a lot of people.
Right. That's why they soon won't have to move anymore to have access to a better school.

• Haha
And you don't think others do that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT