ADVERTISEMENT

RFK Jr is suing North Carolina to remove his name from the November ballot

Morrison71

HB Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Robert F Kennedy Jr is suing North Carolina's state board of elections after it refused to remove his name from the electoral ballot following his decision to drop his independent presidential campaign and endorse Donald Trump.

The legal action comes after a series of ballot woes that initially impeded Kennedy's campaign but are now threatening to undermine the impact of his decision to end it.

Kennedy announced the suspension of his presidential bid on 23 August, saying he planned to remove his name from the ballot in 10 states, including vital swing states where his was presence was likely to damage Trump in knife-edge contests with Kamala Harris, the Democratic nominee.

"Our polling consistently showed that by staying on the ballot in the battleground states, I would likely hand the election over to the Democrats, with whom I disagree on the most existential issues," Kennedy told journalists when he announced his withdrawal in Phoenix, Arizona, last month.

However, Kennedy's request to remove his name in North Carolina – a key battleground where recent opinion surveys have shown Harris taking a small lead – was rejected by the state election board after it said around 1.7m ballot papers had already been printed and that producing new ones would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

"It would not be practical to reprint ballots that have already been printed and meet the state law deadline to start absentee voting," the board said in a 29 August statement.

• Haha
Reactions: pjhawk
Despite the Dem governor, the NC state government is exceedingly GOP, so this is an interesting development.

Not sure I’ve ever seen someone sue to NOT be on the ballot.
The Kennedy candidacy (as with Cornel West and Jill Stein) was meant to be a ratf%$k of the Biden campaign. Once it became obvious that Kennedy was going to peel off more votes from Trump than Biden/Harris it was inevitable he would try to drop out.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT