ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to a Cedar Rapids icon

Fight Me GIF by MOODMAN
Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha
Reactions: SolarHawk
HyVee ****ing sucks. Overpriced bull shit, obnoxious ****ing ads on the loud speakers, treat employees like shit, deep in bed with republicans, terrible benefits for workers, and then if you make it through all that you have to scan and bag your own groceries while the front end manager and armed security personnel stand and watch you.
You may not like’s Turkey but give the devil his due… they are one quite successful grocery chain and have been in business for decades. Obviously, they know the grocery business and they are not afraid to experiment and push the envelope.

You may not like’s Turkey but give the devil his due… they are one quite successful grocery chain and have been in business for decades. Obviously, they know the grocery business and they are not afraid to experiment and push the envelope.
It’s been years since I lived in Iowa, but I remember hy vee as a pretty well run company. Also my first job besides delivering newspapers was at hy vee on Collins Rd in CR. Good times.

It’s been years since I lived in Iowa, but I remember hy vee as a pretty well run company. Also my first job besides delivering newspapers was at hy vee on Collins Rd in CR. Good times.
I believe HV has a new management team in place now…they have made changes, some good, some not so good..a different management style and “old timers” don’t like it…but times change.

I believe HV has a new management team in place now…they have made changes, some good, some not so good..a different management style and “old timers” don’t like it…but times change.
Sounds like the Orlando of the Midwest lol.

Reactions: IXHawkeye86
I graduated in 1981 from Wash. What were you involved in; sports, music, etc.?
Hey, I was on the golf team as a sophomore, and in one of the few areas of regret in my life I never went out for any other sports. I thought I had to work ( I kind of did, but that's a while 'nuther story.) so I had some money.

Although I do remember sitting through our graduation, over 400 kids as I recall, and thinking that there were some I didn't know, odds are we know each other though.

Given that pattern, surprised the V on Rockingham in Davenport isn't included.

ironically, it closed a few years ago

Pouring the last of my 40oz for EVERY convenience store on the East side of Waterloo that doesn’t sell gas anymore and only sells liquor and blunt wraps. Mother****ers put a Kwik Star out of business.

i had a friend that worked for hy-vee, not this location, back when they decided to tear down the old ji-vee and build the current building. he said none of the managers of the store wanted a new building, because it would kill their profit sharing check. the old shitty building was paid for, so it was easy to make a profit.

i had a friend that worked for hy-vee, not this location, back when they decided to tear down the old ji-vee and build the current building. he said none of the managers of the store wanted a new building, because it would kill their profit sharing check. the old shitty building was paid for, so it was easy to make a profit.
Most likely true. Have to go off the split when building a new store to pay for it.

Also, you drive down the street directly to the right of Hy Vee and you used to run into the Tick Tock(sp?) Lounge. That's where I went to drink underage. If you go down the street to the left of the lot, you can sneak onto the CR Country Club's back nine.

the tic toc is on 17th st and hyvee is on 16th st

Reactions: IXHawkeye86
There's another HV on Oakland Road and I believe 32th St. There's a Fareway on 1st Ave in the T&C Shopping Center (roughly 38th St IIRC). I rarely get to that side of town any more, but maybe there's an Aldi too somewhere in the general area.

I remember when they built that new HV in I think 2001 (?)...was stunned they actually did that. IIRC they got a nice tax break or something like that to do so.

Times change...

RIP to LowVee.

When I moved back to Iowa after HS I lived by there while going to Kirkwood. The clientele was always Wal-Mart-after-midnight level of sketchy, the trouble was usually reserved for the gas stations nearby. There NEEDS to be a grocer there for those neighborhoods or it’s going to be an urban food desert. An Aldi would be perfect.

Hey, I was on the golf team as a sophomore, and in one of the few areas of regret in my life I never went out for any other sports. I thought I had to work ( I kind of did, but that's a while 'nuther story.) so I had some money.

Although I do remember sitting through our graduation, over 400 kids as I recall, and thinking that there were some I didn't know, odds are we know each other though.
I went out for wresting as a junior. I was in the 145 weight class and got my ass handed to me on a daily basis by Taon Lee. His mom had to make his pants for him because his thighs were ginormously large. I quit and went out for the tennis team. I was a huge pussy.

Hy Vee started to suck when they quit being a grocery store and tried to do everything else. We have a Fareway and Walmart in our town so I never go to Hy Vee.

Whoever wrote this article is clearly a moron... "a search shows the closest full-service grocery store is now 2 miles away - a 6 or 7-minute drive in a densely populated area. This will likely create a food desert, which is an area with limited access to a variety of healthy foods."

Since when is 2 miles/6-7 minute drive a "food desert"?

Whoever wrote this article is clearly a moron... "a search shows the closest full-service grocery store is now 2 miles away - a 6 or 7-minute drive in a densely populated area. This will likely create a food desert, which is an area with limited access to a variety of healthy foods."

Since when is 2 miles/6-7 minute drive a "food desert"?
If you don't have transportation, 2 miles is a good distance for groceries.

Reactions: IANDFAN
HyVee ****ing sucks. Overpriced bull shit, obnoxious ****ing ads on the loud speakers, treat employees like shit, deep in bed with republicans, terrible benefits for workers, and then if you make it through all that you have to scan and bag your own groceries while the front end manager and armed security personnel stand and watch you.
So just like every other grocery store?
I don’t know if you have ever shopped around for groceries but most stores are relatively the same expensive price everywhere. Unless you shop for specific items at different stores, you’ll pay roughly the same price.
Every company treats employees like shit, all big businesses are deep in bed with the government, every grocery store only has one human checkout available.
Why exactly do you say Hy-Vee fvcking sucks?

This is probably a good thing. I bet a grocery store like Aldi's will take over the space. If that happens then the people of that area will have actual access to affordable food, as opposed to the over priced stuff Hy-Vee sells.

Only down side is Aldi's generally don't have pharmacy's that I am aware of.

^^^^

Privilege is showing. Must be nice to just have a car on the ready.
Jfc... if you can't figure out how to take public transportation 2 miles to a grocery store you're clearly disabled, in which case their are services available to get you food.
But please keep posting stuff like this, it's revealing.

Publis transportation just dies not serve “all” Deangelo, for a variety of reasons.
Good lord some of you really are idiots. Buses run constantly thru CR. If you can't physicallly get on a bus, having a grocery store within walking distance is the least of your problems and help is available.
This is nothing more than the, "minorities don't know how to get an ID" or "black people don't know what a computer is" garbage we hear from the left all too frequently. Just more inherent racism due to your lower than low expectations.

Reactions: hexumhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT