ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals Recruiting team ranking for 2020 as of 4/12/19....Iowa #11

After our huge get today, Iowa is stacking up VERY nicely at #11, yes a lot of it due to the number of commits but all of these guys are quality pieces...

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/all-teams/football
That’s pretty cool. For years Hawkeyes said that recruiting rankings don’t matter and now a little less than ONE YEAR from signing day, you are excited about a number 11 ranking? Alrighty then.

FYI - the Huskers are 10 spots above your finish from last year with only THREE recruits.

Carry on...

Good lord, the one time you were even remotely close to getting to the CFP you crapped your pants against MSU, and then got completely boat raced by a McCaffrey.. Which means you weren't even in the discussion for a National Title.
This is when Iowa was officially named the FAKE ID of college football. Who says they don’t have any tradition?

That’s pretty cool. For years Hawkeyes said that recruiting rankings don’t matter and now a little less than ONE YEAR from signing day, you are excited about a number 11 ranking? Alrighty then.

FYI - the Huskers are 10 spots above your finish from last year with only THREE recruits.

Carry on...
You guys are clowns you've recruited better than iowa but you still lose to us.Go away!!!!

This is when Iowa was officially named the FAKE ID of college football. Who says they don’t have any tradition?

I love that our mods are so much more chill than those on other boards, but this is the type of BS I'd love to see @TomKakert drop the banhammer on. No one was even talking about Nebraska, and here comes Travis from Broken Bow with a fresh dip in and his chest puffed up after the 'skers won their Spring Game Championship (!!!) to spew his crap. I know Hawk fans start threads about Nebraska specifically to have a pissing match, but it would be great if these Iowa obsessed trolls, whose heads the Hawkeyes live in 24/7, could behave themselves on the rest of the site.

Also, Nebraska sucks.

Last edited:

Carry on...

Complete misrepresentation of the Truth. Which begs the question are you just not very smart or are you intentionally trying to misrepresent the Truth.

For those of us who don’t care about where we rank they still don’t and I would suspect for the ones that do… They still do!!!

Here is the cold hard reality.... Nebraska has routinely signed classes in the top 25 for a long long long long time...

Iowa has routinely signed classes in the top 40, sometimes even only the top 50 and yet as of last year had the 16th most kids on NFL Rosters.

Showing us a number of things....

1st and foremost when it comes to Iowa and Wisconsin too for that matter, recruiting rankings are never accurate. At the end of the cycle they should always just jump Iowa or Wisconsin’s class 10 to 15 spots every year.

Because that’s reality....20 years is a long enough snapshot to know that if Iowas Class was ranked by rivals at 40th it really was probably somewhere between 20 and 25.

I know that’s really aggravating to you guys but we have enough data to know that it’s true.

2nd.... you guys aren’t very good at “identifying real talent“ and maybe you should spend less time looking at the rankings and more time identifying whether these kids really are any good or not.

3rd...what is the difference between the 25th ranked class and the 40th? And I’m serious...

I want you to do a case study on recruiting rankings from the last 5 years. Then look where the top 40 finished wins and losses and the number of NFL players they all produced.

You’re going to be sad to find out Iowa is recruiting at a much much much higher level than Nebraska already.

There is literally no metric available to prove otherwise. We’ve already established that ranking systems before they play college football are very very ambiguous.

Recruiting ratings matter. Coaching stability matters. Player development matters. Nebraska and Purdue are joining Iowa and others in the 2nd and 3rd. The west is changing. Who will do all 3 the best going forward?

Recruiting ratings matter. Coaching stability matters. Player development matters. Nebraska and Purdue are joining Iowa and others in the 2nd and 3rd. The west is changing. Who will do all 3 the best going forward?
As much as I shudder to utter this .... Minnesota could work its way into the B1G west convo too. They have a great group of WRs ... and they were young at multiple spots. There's no reason to assume that they won't continue to improve.

Northwestern will be an interesting team to follow in '19 ... after having Thorson for seemingly 50 years ... their QB transition will factor significantly in how they look moving forward.

There's a pretty high level of parity in the B1G west ... the only team that appears to be truly "down" is the Illini ... but at least they still have some talent on that team.

Recruiting matters...the ratings do not...Iowas 5 year recruiting average is 46th, yet they are 16th at the start of 2018 for NFL alumni.

Wisconsin is 35th over 5 years and 21st..

Nebraska incidentally is 25th and 26th...

Last edited:

Carry on...
I still say recruiting rankings are not the be all and end all...can only determine the true strength of recruiting classes 4 to 5 years after the fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99

Carry on...

No you misunderstood. The rankings don’t matter for Nebraska as they have shown. They have highest ranked class in Big Ten West every year and still can’t get to a bowl game. Iowa fans are excited because Iowa has an actual developmental staff that molds lower rated players into NFL players over 4-5 years. Glad I clear that up.

Carry on...[/QUOTE

"That's pretty cool" that UNL fans think recruiting rankings and Spring football game matter but apparently scoreboard does not. I'll take scoreboard.

Carry on...
It is amazing what Iowa does with their 50 recruiting classes isn't it? Now for example our latest addition a stud TE that won't need to be as developed as much and can be utilized much earlier on. Recruits are finally seeing what happens when you go to Iowa, great chance of making it to the NFL with outstanding preparation by the Coaches. Carry on.

Reactions: sltldowney
It is amazing what Iowa does with their 50 recruiting classes isn't it? Now for example our latest addition a stud TE that won't need to be as developed as much and can be utilized much earlier on. Recruits are finally seeing what happens when you go to Iowa, great chance of making it to the NFL with outstanding preparation by the Coaches. Carry on.

Well for what it’s worth and I understand we’re probably on the same side… But im not sure how this new TE could be utilized much faster than the last two were considering they both left after their third year in the program.

I also think these Iowa fans that are so giddy and excited about signing “higher ranked classes” are making an extrapolation about “improvement” and being “ready faster” that may prove not to be true.

Quite frankly, over the last several years we have routinely played True Frosh...Seemingly 8+ a year and many of them are routinely two stars… Hell we played 3 2-star freshman last year alone telling me once again they were ranked erroneously!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: owenhawk
Well for what it’s worth and I understand we’re probably on the same side… But im not sure how this new TE could be utilized much faster than the last two were considering they both left after their third year in the program.

I also think these Iowa fans that are so giddy and excited about signing “higher ranked classes” are making an extrapolation about “improvement” and being “ready faster” that may prove not to be true.

Quite frankly, over the last several years we have routinely played True Frosh...Seemingly 8+ a year and many of them are routinely two stars… Hell we played 3 2-star freshman last year alone telling me once again they were ranked erroneously!!!!
There is some of that for sure. I just think the talent coming onboard the past several classes is increasing and the product on the field is getting better as well. Amazing how that works.

You think your slick with your gross characterizations huh? The reality is you can only be an Iowa fan if you actually root for and believe in the team. All your posts or negative toward the state of the program or the sentiment of the fans. Your overly enlightened perspective is false. You believe in a worn out narrative. Iowa football is trending up and you want to keep them down, if only in your mind. The program and fans sell themselves short in not believing Iowa could win it all.
Hey Harbinger. I'm a HUGE Iowa fan but not for one second would I think we could win "it all." And no, I'm not selling myself short by having this opinion either, nor does it make me less of a fan..

Carry on...

images

Carry on...
Oh no, recruiting DOES matter. I think maybe we're excited because we've seen that Iowa, with classes in the 30s and 40s, can flat out curb stomp many teams chalked full of "better" recruits. You must know this though - surely you've watched the games, much to your dismay.

Good lord, the one time you were even remotely close to getting to the CFP you crapped your pants against MSU, and then got completely boat raced by a McCaffrey.. Which means you weren't even in the discussion for a National Title.

I think that it’s great that a football fan with as much knowledge as you are here to help. The fact that you had plenty of time to critique these two games without the burden of wondering how the team you support was doing on those days is beneficial to all of us. Do you perform this service for other teams since your team hasn’t been playing in games like this for a while?

Iowa isn’t dbu, nu uh, cuz I say so. A great approach that always works. Just provide the stats on Alabama, O$U, etc and it will show that Iowa is on a roll but has some room to make up. Or just keep going with the ‘cuz I say so’ approach

2016 and onward the coaching staff has brought in some serious talent at every position, on offense and defense. OT, G, C, WR, TE!, QB and RB (being the most suspect, oddly). CB, Safety, D-end, DT, LB. Every position has a real bonified player and a lot of them have talented depth.

I think 2019 and 2020 are shaping up to be more of the same. Hopefully the hawks can win a division title in the coming years. There’s a lot of budding talent in the West, but overall I think that’s good for Iowa, you want to play in the big games.

Hey Harbinger. I'm a HUGE Iowa fan but not for one second would I think we could win "it all." And no, I'm not selling myself short by having this opinion either, nor does it make me less of a fan..
Don't think we can win it all huh? Pseudo Hawk fan. We have been close before and if a couple more things go right on top of better players and more talent there's no reason it can't happen. Believe!

Last edited:
Don't think we can win it all huh? Pseudo Hawk fan. We have been close before and if a couple more things go right on top of better players and more talent there's no reason if can't happen. Believe!
Come on now, Hawk fan brother...please stop with the "pseudo" and "not a real fan" stuff.

Reactions: HungryHawk
Don't think we can win it all huh? Pseudo Hawk fan. We have been close before and if a couple more things go right on top of better players and more talent there's no reason it can't happen. Believe!
When were we close? Not trying to be a dick, just curious how far you’re going back.

When were we close? Not trying to be a dick, just curious how far you’re going back.
02, 09, 15 teams were on the cusp of being right there. Compared to a lot of P5 schools it is pretty impressive. Though so far away at the end of the day they were right in it/possibly able to till near the end. 09 without Stanzi getting hurt, who knows.

2016 and onward the coaching staff has brought in some serious talent at every position, on offense and defense. OT, G, C, WR, TE!, QB and RB (being the most suspect, oddly). CB, Safety, D-end, DT, LB. Every position has a real bonified player and a lot of them have talented depth.

I think 2019 and 2020 are shaping up to be more of the same. Hopefully the hawks can win a division title in the coming years. There’s a lot of budding talent in the West, but overall I think that’s good for Iowa, you want to play in the big games.
Thankfully we have plenty of big games vs rutgers in the future :D.

We will remain good, but nothing special until wr/rb recruiting improves. ZERO reason both should be so mediocre! Hopefully rb has improved, time will tell.

02, 09, 15 teams were on the cusp of being right there. Compared to a lot of P5 schools it is pretty impressive. Though so far away at the end of the day they were right in it/possibly able to till near the end. 09 without Stanzi getting hurt, who knows.
'15 was on the cusp of being curbstomped by bama, that is about it lol.

lets be real.....

'15 was on the cusp of being curbstomped by bama, that is about it lol.

lets be real.....
Indeed. Being "close" to winning it all and saying "compared to a lot of P5 schools, it is pretty impressive" are totally different ends of the spectrum. A win vs Mich St would have lead to an annihilation at the hands of Alabama.

Reactions: RandyTPB
Indeed. Being "close" to winning it all and saying "compared to a lot of P5 schools, it is pretty impressive" are totally different ends of the spectrum. A win vs Mich St would have lead to an annihilation at the hands of Alabama.

Similar to what happened to Bama vs Clemson this year...?!

Just sayin’.....

you're forgetting bama won a playoff game before that....

Oh shoot...I’m sorry, then how about Oregon 59-FSU 20?

Not a good comparison?

Then how about...

Clemson 37 - OU 17....still no good?

Clemson 31 - OSU 0...?!

Bama 24 - Washington 7...?!

Clemson 30 - ND 3....

Not sure what your point is? Quite frankly blowouts happen and Iowa would have been in good company.....Close still fits… It’s also not always indicative of one team being grossly better than the other team. It just happens...

Reactions: FlickShagwell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT