ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Avila Jr

Same. Walrath opened some eyes.
My son has wrestled him many times when they were younger. CJ has grown to be a bit quite a bit bigger now but always tough for sure. My son did beat him once or twice in like 5th grade LOL but really nice family and pretty solid wrestler in all positions.

My son has wrestled him many times when they were younger. CJ has grown to be a bit quite a bit bigger now but always tough for sure. My son did beat him once or twice in like 5th grade LOL but really nice family and pretty solid wrestler in all positions.
Better than nice family. Salt of the earth people....

If not for an injury at districts his freshman year, we would know him as a 2 time finalist or top3 anyway....

There are another few very underrated kids that had s#/t fresh/soph campaigns... Isiah Fenton, Jack Wajda, Ty Koedam, etc... no, not like Hawkeye level, but def D2 or thereabouts. That's obviously a detour from the convo, but I'd watch these kiddos

Reactions: Spoons

If not for an injury at districts his freshman year, we would know him as a 2 time finalist or top3 anyway....

There are another few very underrated kids that had s#/t fresh/soph campaigns... Isiah Fenton, Jack Wajda, Ty Koedam, etc... no, not like Hawkeye level, but def D2 or thereabouts. That's obviously a detour from the convo, but I'd watch these kiddos

Watched them all over the years. Trying to remember but I think we saw Koedam a time or 2 also. We watched them all and always knew they were pretty good.

That and Covid delayed some of these coming out parties.

Did you watch Super 32 last weekend? Look at Top 8 finishers vs. seeds. Pretty impressive seeding by Willie. He seeded C J Walrath 25th @ 182. He beat Mickey Griffith and finished 8th. Most people in Iowa who follow wrestling have never heard of him (including me). IA Wrestle doesn’t have him in their Fab 50.
A lot of people sh*t on Willie for a variety of reasons, but one really can’t objectively dismiss his knowledge on HS wrestling. It’s quite literally his life’s work and he tends to know his sh*t on the subject.

No room for him anyway is there? Unless he wants to sit on the sidelines the next few years. With all the commits we've had last 18 months I'm curious what 2022/2023 line up looks like.

A recruit at his level doesn’t generally jump into the lineup right away at a school like Iowa.

Did you watch Super 32 last weekend? Look at Top 8 finishers vs. seeds. Pretty impressive seeding by Willie. He seeded C J Walrath 25th @ 182. He beat Mickey Griffith and finished 8th. Most people in Iowa who follow wrestling have never heard of him (including me). IA Wrestle doesn’t have him in their Fab 50.
Not in our Fab 50, but he would be in the top 25 (or that’s where he was last time we put the list together) for his grade.

Reactions: wasdt21 and el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT