ADVERTISEMENT

Robert De Niro Admits in Fiery Court Testimony He ‘Berated’ Ex-Assistant and Called Her Names

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

I wonder if I can sue some Senior NCOs who berated the hell out of me during my active duty time. :cool:

Robert De Niro Admits in Fiery Court Testimony He ‘Berated’ Ex-Assistant and Called Her Names
Jack Smart, Lizzie Hyman
Tue, October 31, 2023 at 2:39 PM CDT·3 min read

Robert De Niro returned to the witness stand to give more explosive testimony in the civil trial concerning his former assistant Graham Chase Robinson.

At the New York City federal courthouse on Tuesday, the 80-year-old actor raised his voice repeatedly while on the stand for the second day of a trial to resolve lawsuits between De Niro’s company Canal Productions and his ex-assistant.

Questioned by Robinson’s attorney Andrew Macurdy about whether, in the 11 years of her employment at the company, De Niro called her names, the Killers of the Flower Moon star admitted that he had.

“Yeah, fine, I berated her,” the Oscar winner testified in response to inquiries about a time Robinson didn’t wake him in time for an important meeting. He then agreed he might have called her “petulant,” “snippy” and a “f------g spoiled brat.”
“I’ve raised my voice,” stated De Niro. “I don’t yell. You wanna dispute that? That’s one thing I don’t do.”

<p>Gareth Cattermole/Getty</p>

Gareth Cattermole/Getty

In 2019 after Robinson had left her position at Canal Productions as Vice President for Production and Finance, the company filed a $6 million lawsuit against her. They alleged that she excessively binge-watched Netflix shows while working, charged personal meals and groceries to the company’s credit card and inappropriately used “her employer’s fund for her personal gain” including De Niro’s frequent flyer airline miles.

In her $12 million counter-lawsuit, Robinson alleged that De Niro and Canal Productions had violated the New York City Human Rights Law, claiming that the actor directed sexist comments at her, assigned her "stereotypically female job duties that were inconsistent with her job title," and paid her less than male employee Dan Harvey.
<p>David Dee Delgado/Getty</p> Robert De Niro on Oct. 30

David Dee Delgado/Getty

During his testimony, De Niro, who has employed Harvey as his personal trainer during movies dating back to 1991, addressed the latter point by asking, “What does Dan Harvey have to do with her?”

He continued, “God knows why she felt like she should make the same [salary]. Dan Harvey has been here for 40 years. He has been with me, left his family, never complained. She is jealous of him?”

Of the alleged gender-discriminating pay disparity, he added, “Give me a break with that nonsense… For her to use that is so ridiculous.”

<p>TheImageDirect</p> Robert De Niro in 2023

Robert De Niro in 2023

When asked about instances when, during her employment, De Niro allegedly asked Robinson to scratch his itching back, the Raging Bull actor exclaimed: “Every little thing she’s trying to get me on is nonsense! Shame on you, Chase Robinson.” He then apologized for the outburst.

The New York-set trial will continue to feature emails and text exchanges between De Niro and his girlfriend Tiffany Chen. The two welcomed a daughter togetherGia Virginia Chen De Niro, his seventh child — in May.

In earlier testimony, De Niro had asserted that Chen “might have been saying” disrespectful things about Robinson. “But she was annoyed because Robinson was disrespectful to her. Period. And that is unacceptable.”

I wonder if I can sue some Senior NCOs who berated the hell out of me during my active duty time. :cool:

Jack Smart, Lizzie Hyman

Robert De Niro returned to the witness stand to give more explosive testimony in the civil trial concerning his former assistant Graham Chase Robinson.

At the New York City federal courthouse on Tuesday, the 80-year-old actor raised his voice repeatedly while on the stand for the second day of a trial to resolve lawsuits between De Niro’s company Canal Productions and his ex-assistant.

Questioned by Robinson’s attorney Andrew Macurdy about whether, in the 11 years of her employment at the company, De Niro called her names, the Killers of the Flower Moon star admitted that he had.

“Yeah, fine, I berated her,” the Oscar winner testified in response to inquiries about a time Robinson didn’t wake him in time for an important meeting. He then agreed he might have called her “petulant,” “snippy” and a “f------g spoiled brat.”
“I’ve raised my voice,” stated De Niro. “I don’t yell. You wanna dispute that? That’s one thing I don’t do.”

Gareth Cattermole/Getty

In 2019 after Robinson had left her position at Canal Productions as Vice President for Production and Finance, the company filed a $6 million lawsuit against her. They alleged that she excessively binge-watched Netflix shows while working, charged personal meals and groceries to the company’s credit card and inappropriately used “her employer’s fund for her personal gain” including De Niro’s frequent flyer airline miles.

In her $12 million counter-lawsuit, Robinson alleged that De Niro and Canal Productions had violated the New York City Human Rights Law, claiming that the actor directed sexist comments at her, assigned her "stereotypically female job duties that were inconsistent with her job title," and paid her less than male employee Dan Harvey.

David Dee Delgado/Getty

During his testimony, De Niro, who has employed Harvey as his personal trainer during movies dating back to 1991, addressed the latter point by asking, “What does Dan Harvey have to do with her?”

He continued, “God knows why she felt like she should make the same [salary]. Dan Harvey has been here for 40 years. He has been with me, left his family, never complained. She is jealous of him?”

Of the alleged gender-discriminating pay disparity, he added, “Give me a break with that nonsense… For her to use that is so ridiculous.”

Robert De Niro in 2023

When asked about instances when, during her employment, De Niro allegedly asked Robinson to scratch his itching back, the Raging Bull actor exclaimed: “Every little thing she’s trying to get me on is nonsense! Shame on you, Chase Robinson.” He then apologized for the outburst.

The New York-set trial will continue to feature emails and text exchanges between De Niro and his girlfriend Tiffany Chen. The two welcomed a daughter togetherGia Virginia Chen De Niro, his seventh child — in May.

In earlier testimony, De Niro had asserted that Chen “might have been saying” disrespectful things about Robinson. “But she was annoyed because Robinson was disrespectful to her. Period. And that is unacceptable.”
Lol

I assumed all celebrities and people in power positions acted like that towards their assistants. Kinda feel like that comes with the territory.

Reactions: torbee
Well, that certainly applies if it's calling each other names on HROT. This place is like the middle school playground sometimes (in that regard). LOL
maybe we should start "court-in-session" threads in which hroters sue each other for likes with someone appointed as judge. if the software permits it, likes should be transferred per judgement. it would be so kickass.
i think i'm gonna patent this idea.

This is why companies shouldn’t sue ex-employees. You’re not going to collect anything and they have no choice but to fire back.

This is why companies shouldn’t sue ex-employees. You’re not going to collect anything and they have no choice but to fire back.

I suppose a lot of court cases are like this but I don't feel like either side is telling the full truth.

Bob, if all she did was watch Netflix and use the company's dime for her own personal needs. . . why did you continue to employ her for 11 years?

Ms. Robinson, Why are you trying to allege pay discrimination by comparing your pay to that of a personal trainer if you are not yourself a personal trainer? Two different jobs entirely and that's not even withstanding the fact that the other guy had been with him for 40 years.

Also if you felt this was all unfair to you, why did you stay for 11 years? I'd also like more information about the sexist comments and the job duties she was expected to perform vs her job title.

I do agree the dumbest move was on the company's side to sue an ex employee in the first place. Did you really pay her that much that she would have 6 million bucks on hand to pay you? I mean if you paid her that well I volunteer to take that job Mr De Niro and you can call me any name you want. Even if she does have the money I would still need a really good answer for how she got away with just binge watching netflix and stealing from the company for 11 years. I would think that at some point sooner you might have noticed that the work she was suppose to do wasn't getting done.

Reactions: torbee
Well if you can get sued for calling people names now I'm pretty sure everyone on these boards are screwed.
Do the world a favor, kill yourself.

Kill yourself. Do the farm animals a favor.

Kill yourself, nazi.

Kill yourself, pervert.

Kill yourself, pervert.

Kill yourself dimwit. F**king idiots like yourself suck up the rhetoric of the lying fascist right wing in Iowa and you are too stupid to actually think. You might as well be dead since you are just a burden on society.

Jack Smart, Lizzie Hyman

Gareth Cattermole/Getty

David Dee Delgado/Getty

Robert De Niro in 2023

**** De NIRO!

I'm shocked she's a pretty attractive woman. On a side note if she was misusing company funds and doing that much personal stuff while working why did you hang onto her for a decade. Just dumb.

15808-16987780929038-1920.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: NDallasRuss

Jack Smart, Lizzie Hyman

Gareth Cattermole/Getty

David Dee Delgado/Getty

Robert De Niro in 2023

Sounds like the beatch deserved any berating she received.

Good on Bobby D!

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Robert screwed up and thought he was above reproach. He is going to pay this woman millions.

He had her scratching his back. In court stating he didnt like the back scratcher and needed her to use her fingers. Its like a snl skit. Jesus man....

Robert De Niro testifies it was fine to call his assistant at her grandmother's funeral: 'I don't know if they were putting the body in the ground'​

• Robert De Niro is on his second day of testimony in a trial between him and his former assistant.
  • He defended calling her at her grandmother's funeral, saying she said it was OK.
  • "I don't know if they were putting the body in the ground," he said.
Robert De Niro spent several minutes on the witness stand in Manhattan federal court Tuesday explaining why it was OK for him to make two phone calls to his assistant at her grandmother's funeral.

De Niro wanted the assistant, Chase Robinson, to purchase bus tickets for his son, he said. She had told him at a certain point that it would be fine for him to call her, he said.

"I don't know if they were putting the body in the ground or at a wake or something," De Niro testified on the witness stand.

De Niro is on his second day of testimony for a civil trial between him and Robinson.

Robinson alleged that he oversaw a workplace rife with gender discrimination through his company, Canal Productions, where she worked as an executive assistant for over a decade, and subjected her to "gratuitous unwanted physical contact."

De Niro has denied the allegations and filed a countersuit, accusing her of improperly charging hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of personal expenses like meals and Uber rides to the company credit card, stealing 5 million Delta SkyMiles for personal vacations, and having "loafed during working hours, binge-watching astounding hours of TV shows on Netflix."

The 80-year-old star of "Killers of the Flower Moon" and "Meet the Fockers" spent much of his testimony Tuesday morning asking Robinson's lawyer Andrew Macurdy to repeat his questions.

At one point, Macurdy asked De Niro if it was true that Robinson ordered "supplies" to her own home before bringing them via Uber to De Niro's townhouse, which he said did not have its own doorman to handle deliveries.

"Could you repeat that?" De Niro asked.

Macurdy tried asking the question again.

"You're calling them 'slides'?" De Niro asked again.

Eventually, De Niro got the question.

"Oh, supplies! I genuinely did not understand what you said," De Niro responded, before saying "That's fine" if she expensed Ubers for that purpose.

Macurdy pressed De Niro on a delivery he made from Nobu, the restaurant he co-owns.

"One time you really wanted a particular martini at Nobu and you asked her to deliver it for you, yes?" Macurdy asked, noting that it was at 11 p.m.

"That would have been one time," De Niro responded. "That's different."

Between 2017 and 2019, according to De Niro's lawsuit, the company's credit card had accrued enough points to be worth 8 million Delta SkyMiles. Robinson took 5 million for herself, he alleged.

While De Niro conceded Tuesday that there were occasional trips where he approved her use of them, he said she should have been judicious.

His own children, he complained, had to pay for plane fares instead of using the plane points.

"I made it clear to her in multiple conversations, don't overuse SkyMiles," he said.

Robert De Niro testifies it was fine to call his assistant at her grandmother's funeral: 'I don't know if they were putting the body in the ground'​

• Robert De Niro is on his second day of testimony in a trial between him and his former assistant.
  • He defended calling her at her grandmother's funeral, saying she said it was OK.
  • "I don't know if they were putting the body in the ground," he said.
Robert De Niro spent several minutes on the witness stand in Manhattan federal court Tuesday explaining why it was OK for him to make two phone calls to his assistant at her grandmother's funeral.

De Niro wanted the assistant, Chase Robinson, to purchase bus tickets for his son, he said. She had told him at a certain point that it would be fine for him to call her, he said.

"I don't know if they were putting the body in the ground or at a wake or something," De Niro testified on the witness stand.

De Niro is on his second day of testimony for a civil trial between him and Robinson.

Robinson alleged that he oversaw a workplace rife with gender discrimination through his company, Canal Productions, where she worked as an executive assistant for over a decade, and subjected her to "gratuitous unwanted physical contact."

De Niro has denied the allegations and filed a countersuit, accusing her of improperly charging hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of personal expenses like meals and Uber rides to the company credit card, stealing 5 million Delta SkyMiles for personal vacations, and having "loafed during working hours, binge-watching astounding hours of TV shows on Netflix."

The 80-year-old star of "Killers of the Flower Moon" and "Meet the Fockers" spent much of his testimony Tuesday morning asking Robinson's lawyer Andrew Macurdy to repeat his questions.

At one point, Macurdy asked De Niro if it was true that Robinson ordered "supplies" to her own home before bringing them via Uber to De Niro's townhouse, which he said did not have its own doorman to handle deliveries.

"Could you repeat that?" De Niro asked.

Macurdy tried asking the question again.

"You're calling them 'slides'?" De Niro asked again.

Eventually, De Niro got the question.

"Oh, supplies! I genuinely did not understand what you said," De Niro responded, before saying "That's fine" if she expensed Ubers for that purpose.

Macurdy pressed De Niro on a delivery he made from Nobu, the restaurant he co-owns.

"One time you really wanted a particular martini at Nobu and you asked her to deliver it for you, yes?" Macurdy asked, noting that it was at 11 p.m.

"That would have been one time," De Niro responded. "That's different."

Between 2017 and 2019, according to De Niro's lawsuit, the company's credit card had accrued enough points to be worth 8 million Delta SkyMiles. Robinson took 5 million for herself, he alleged.

While De Niro conceded Tuesday that there were occasional trips where he approved her use of them, he said she should have been judicious.

His own children, he complained, had to pay for plane fares instead of using the plane points.

"I made it clear to her in multiple conversations, don't overuse SkyMiles," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT