ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Marble

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:
this isn't about me. it's about opening ourselves up for bad PR. because you will likely be in the first group to criticize the athletic department regardless.
bull shit - you dont know me then...do you??

..I'd be the last one to critcize the athletic dept for recognizing Roy Marble's success on the basketball court for Iowa from 1986-1989....I'm critical they waited to do it this long...and I'm critical it took a terminal illness to wake them up..

..the only people who would be bitching are the ones that dont give a rats ass for athletics..or have self ordained themselves judge & jury over the rest of us....screw 'em..

futher who of any importance has said its bad PR?
I think its bad PR when the Governor's vehicle was violating the state's speed limits...so who cared...
evidently a lot people because it was in the news for 3 months

it seems odd for an esteemed institution to honor a drunk driving, non-bill-paying, drug addict.
This...and he's actually more of a POS than what has come out in public.

Originally posted by jhawkinaz:

Originally posted by DanHawkPella:

Bobby Hansen's senior year was 15.4ppg, 48% from 2 and 50% from 3 (only 10 made all year).
Is that a stat that is determined from watching game film and deciding how many shots would be behind the arc if it was in place? Curious to know how that was determined.

Plus if it would have been worth three points, I am sure he would have shot (and made) a lot more. I am not discrediting your statement about Marble, because I agree with you, just wondering on this stat.
That stat was using the same site I linked in my first post. I'm not quite sure why he shot only 20 shots and made 10, but a comment in this thread about using it on a trial basis is probably the reason.

Originally posted by TripleCherry:

this isn't about me. it's about opening ourselves up for bad PR. because you will likely be in the first group to criticize the athletic department regardless.

..I'd be the last one to critcize the athletic dept for recognizing Roy Marble's success on the basketball court for Iowa from 1986-1989....I'm critical they waited to do it this long...and I'm critical it took a terminal illness to wake them up..

..the only people who would be bitching are the ones that dont give a rats ass for athletics..or have self ordained themselves judge & jury over the rest of us....screw 'em..

I think its bad PR when the Governor's vehicle was violating the state's speed limits...so who cared...

it seems odd for an esteemed institution to honor a drunk driving, non-bill-paying, drug addict.
well there we have it ... I'm still waiting for "all the bad PR" ... at least you have a honest opinion that Roy Marble is a POS...drunk..non-bill-paying drug addict....so its not the PR is it? You dont like him getting recognized...period.

Oh I fully understand his history...made alot of stupid choices that hurt himself and people around him...forgiving is a beautiful thing.

Originally posted by jhawkinaz:

Bobby Hansen's senior year was 15.4ppg, 48% from 2 and 50% from 3 (only 10 made all year).
Is that a stat that is determined from watching game film and deciding how many shots would be behind the arc if it was in place? Curious to know how that was determined.

Plus if it would have been worth three points, I am sure he would have shot (and made) a lot more. I am not discrediting your statement about Marble, because I agree with you, just wondering on this stat.
That stat was using the same site I linked in my first post. I'm not quite sure why he shot only 20 shots and made 10, but a comment in this thread about using it on a trial basis is probably the reason.
cool, thanks. didn't know they experimented with the line.

well there we have it ... I'm still waiting for "all the bad PR" ... at least you have a honest opinion that Roy Marble is a POS...drunk..non-bill-paying drug addict....so its not the PR is it? You dont like him getting recognized...period.

Oh I fully understand his history...made alot of stupid choices that hurt himself and people around him...forgiving is a beautiful thing.
In my opinion one should have to apologize and stop the behavior to be forgiven.

In my opinion one should have to apologize and stop the behavior to be forgiven.
doesnt owe u anything...how do u know he hasn't to the people that really count like his family...you really should consider the horse you put yourself on...and step off.

Tom put out in the Lounge that he beleived it was announced that his jersey wouldn't be retired so that people knew exactly what was going on. Yes hard to believe that the PR would put something out about recongizing Roy Marble and the idiots would assume his jersey would be retired. They wanted full disclosure of what was going on exactly. They did that and of course people bitch. It doesn't matter what they do people are going to bitch.

I am glad they are recognizing Roy Marble, he was a great basketball player for Iowa but I'm not sure he was a great Hawkeye if that makes sense. I have zero issues with not retiring the jersey of a guy who didn't graduate. Then again I wouldn't bitch if they did retire his jersey.

I think some people just like to bitch about anything they can. It's an awesome way to go through life. It makes me laugh anyway.

doesnt owe u anything...how do u know he hasn't to the people that really count like his family...you really should consider the horse you put yourself on...and step off.
Owe me? What does anyone owe anyone? And that goes for forgiveness too.
You really should consider that you don't have the slightest idea what or who you're talking about.

Roy doesn't deserve ANY further recognition. I believe we are simply giving him a chance to say goodbye and part of that is out of respect for Dev. it's an olive branch by our AD yet posters here are upset about it.

Gotta step in here. "In my opinion one should have to apologize and stop the behavior to be forgiven." I'm nobody special.....

...but I always heard that the greatest forgiveness was to all of us, and we didn't deserve it either.

Roy has to account to nobody but his Maker. The man is dying. We can afford to remember the good for a few minutes.

If some don't want to "forgive" him, well than be charitable and love the sinner for a few minutes. It won't kill anyone. And just maybe it will do some good.

Just before the 1968 Season- Iowa was lead by Sam Williams. He was amazing. He was a small forward and would consistently get in the lane and hit a jump hook and get fouled on the non-shooting hand. I saw him score 24 points against Loyola on 8 old fashioned 3 point plays! Wonder what happen to Sam?

People are not upset with the press release itself, they just can't understand why someone as impactful as Roy on the court would not get this recognition.

It sounds like there are 2 theories:

- Drugs
- Graduation

In my opinion neither of these caused a black eye for the University or the Administration while he was here, and so I'm not overly concerned about them. There are a lot of NBA players with retired jersey's at their alma matter who weren't great citizens, and probably a number that didn't graduate.

The graduation thing is more reasonable, but I'm not overly concerned about that either. This isn't an academic award. Universities give out special degrees (recognition) all the time to people who didn't go to school there. He spent 4 full years here in the basketball program and (for the most part) at school. While you can hang yourself up about whether he actually graduated, he was eligible his entire career and was one of the best players we've ever had and was loved by the fans. He deserves his jersey to be retired imo, as others not as impactful as him have been.

Graduation can be a consideration, but should not be a hard and fast rule imo. They can reconsider that point at any time, and this would be a good time. They won't, but I think its ridiculous and to a large extent a technicality.

I'm not quite old enough to have more than a kid's memory of the great Ralph Miller teams, although I saw the NBA guys off those teams a lot. I am old enough to remember the last 40 years pretty well.

Roy Marble was the second best Hawk behind only Ronnie Lester. The difference between Ronnie Lester and Roy Marble is significantly more narrow than the gap between Roy and whoever is your number 3.

Roy's recognition is long overdue, very long overdue.
This post was edited on 3/6 6:12 PM by The Sleeping Dog

Originally posted by DesMoinesHawki:
Once again, leave it to Iowa's top-notch PR in being sure to remind everyone: Well, we aren't retiring his number. We're just recognizing. Bottomline, Roy's number should be retired. For what he did on the court ... as a Hawkeye ... Whatever he did later in life .. well, we all can make poor choices ... I am in my 40s and in my 35 years of being a die-hard, Roy is very top of mind for me when I think of Hawkeye greats:

Armstrong
Lester
Stokes
Woolridge
Hansen
Street
Carfino (just enjoyed watching him)

Lots of great Hawks have put on the black and hold ... Marble is one of the elite ... Retire his number and give him his due.
I would add to the list
Chad Calabria
Vince Brookins
Ben McGilmer

Roy doesn't deserve ANY further recognition. I believe we are simply giving him a chance to say goodbye and part of that is out of respect for Dev. it's an olive branch by our AD yet posters here are upset about it.
further recognition? could you possibly enlighten us what recognition Roy Marble received previously to tomorrow..

..we get it you don't think he deserves anything because of his off the court life choices..good for you..

This post was edited on 3/6 8:19 PM by hawk-i bob

he managed to get mentioned on tv for 120 consecutive games over the past 4 years.
holy crap...stop...so what....don't you think it would have been strange for his kid to play for Iowa & it would not have ever been mentioned who his old man was...

God...quit...Iowa isn't doing anything but recognizing what he did on the floor as Iowa's all-time leading scorer...and the reason why they are is pretty clear...which to me is somewhat hypocritical..

And I don't really care what they do at halftime..
don't care about his number....I will be one of thousands giving him a hand...its called paying a little respect....to a man who wore an Iowa uniform....

you want to slam him for personal life ...so be it...good for you...feel better?

They may have paid for rehab, but the University never suffered any significant negative PR over Roy. Their criteria here are almost entirely internal criteria not external....which is what the fans care about.

Roy's weaknesses off the court harmed him, not the University of Iowa.

It is time for administration to take the time to recognize not just Marble, but some of the other greats whose jerseys are still not being recognized. They have recognized three relatively modern players, who were good, but not even close to being All-Americans. Establish some criteria, pull your heads out of your arses, and get on with it. Anything that increases fan interest and recognizes that Iowa has been a very good basketball school in the past can't hurt.

A lot of people saying this recognition is long overdue. I must be missing something because I don't believe that the University has ever denied that he is the all time leading scorer. Didn't they also name him to the All-Century team? Pretty short list of players being recognized there.

Is the only reason this debate about how he gets recognized because they are recognizing him, in part because of his advancing cancer? If they were not carving out a few minutes to announce his name during today's game there's not even a discussion going on. Sometimes you just can't win.

Originally posted by OC_Hawk:
A lot of people saying this recognition is long overdue. I must be missing something because I don't believe that the University has ever denied that he is the all time leading scorer. Didn't they also name him to the All-Century team? Pretty short list of players being recognized there.

Is the only reason this debate about how he gets recognized because they are recognizing him, in part because of his advancing cancer? If they were not carving out a few minutes to announce his name during today's game there's not even a discussion going on. Sometimes you just can't win.
I thought about the point you were making. Do you think that with Roy dying of cancer, that if the U of I did nothing to honor him there would not be an outcry from fans?

I think it would be quite loud.

The right thing to do would have probably been to have retired his jersey at the same time that they retired BJ's. Having failed that, the next best thing would have been to retire Roy's jersey at the ceremony today.

If what is stopping the U of I is that Roy didn't graduate, it is too bad they apparently don't have a criteria written down somewhere that they could have referred to...but I know that writing things down causes "rules" which big shots do NOT like imposing rules on themselves. I say, no written criteria? Retire the jersey!

Anyway, to me, I hope we never see the day that a Jersey is retired based on how much money or fame a former player collected after college. For some, their college basketball careers might just end up being the golden years of their life...and aren't we supposed to be talking about those years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT