ADVERTISEMENT

RPI Watch

I demand that Michigan comes back and beats Rutgers and Iowa sweeps today! Also, if not too much to ask, an RPI sub 60 after a big win tonight, let's go Hawks!

#57 RPI, Go Hawks! Got the sweep we needed in a nail biter last night, felt like a regional game to me. In good shape going to Omaha, need 2 wins there and that should punch a ticket to the regionals.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
It’s behind a pay wall to which I don’t have access but a good friend of mine sent a screen shot that d1 Baseball cited Iowa’s situation favorably this morning by noting that its RPI is now “within at-large striking distance.”

Cannot understate the importance of that win last night.

It’s behind a pay wall to which I don’t have access but a good friend of mine sent a screen shot that d1 Baseball cited Iowa’s situation favorably this morning by noting that its RPI is now “within at-large striking distance.”

Cannot understate the importance of that win last night.
Need more wins

Reactions: AuroraHawk
RPI of 57 this morning. We did it, guys. Mission Accomplished!

7427-BE9-E-6947-436-E-8673-D44-E96-BEE90-C.jpg

Reactions: Birky
(+11) / (-40) today (currently at #59 and tied with Louisiana for RPI points)

If Louisiana wins (they are the higher seeded team) today, they will get 24 points.

Likely looking at a “best case scenario” of Iowa being #57 or #58 with a win today.

If Iowa wins and advances to play Rutgers, there may be 25-30 RPI points available to grab with a win.

(+11) / (-40) today (currently at #59 and tied with Louisiana for RPI points)

If Louisiana wins (they are the higher seeded team) today, they will get 24 points.

Likely looking at a “best case scenario” of Iowa being #57 or #58 with a win today.

If Iowa wins and advances to play Rutgers, there may be 25-30 RPI points available to grab with a win.
Looks like +13/-40 now. Either way a must win for the Hawks. Need the real Adam Mazur to show up tonight or whenever they get this game played. Chances of them actually playing today look slim.

Purdue is +51/-3 vs Rutger today. Iowa could be in the +45/-10 range if they both advance. +58 would jump Iowa to 52.

Looks like +13/-40 now. Either way a must win for the Hawks. Need the real Adam Mazur to show up tonight or whenever they get this game played. Chances of them actually playing today look slim.

Purdue is +51/-3 vs Rutger today. Iowa could be in the +45/-10 range if they both advance. +58 would jump Iowa to 52.
They'll play today. It'll be breezy and chilly, but it'll get played.

They'll play today. It'll be breezy and chilly, but it'll get played.
There is a big, slow moving cell coming up from Kansas that will likely sit on Omaha all day. Very similar to yesterday. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any baseball being played there tonight. They might have been able to get a game in this morning actually.

Reactions: ssckelley
There is a big, slow moving cell coming up from Kansas that will likely sit on Omaha all day. Very similar to yesterday. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any baseball being played there tonight. They might have been able to get a game in this morning actually.
Maybe Purdue is making the weather decisions?

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Iowa's loss drops them to 65 in the RPI, 102 points out of 50th. There is a path to an at large bid and it would be something like this:

Beat Rutger +40 in Game 5.
Beat Purdue +30 in Game 9.
Beat Maryland +45 in Game 11.
Lose Maryland -5 in Game 13.
+110 RPI points

Finish 35-18 (17-7, 2nd place B1G) 50 RPI

Beat Maryland twice and lose in the Championship (that might just steal Iowa's bid) but then Iowa would be 36-18, 17-7 and 48ish in the RPI.

Iowa's loss drops them to 65 in the RPI, 102 points out of 50th. There is a path to an at large bid and it would be something like this:

Beat Rutger +40 in Game 5.
Beat Purdue +30 in Game 9.
Beat Maryland +45 in Game 11.
Lose Maryland -5 in Game 13.
+110 RPI points

Finish 35-18 (17-7, 2nd place B1G) 50 RPI

Beat Maryland twice and lose in the Championship (that might just steal Iowa's bid) but then Iowa would be 36-18, 17-7 and 48ish in the RPI.
Davitt is done. Can probably get one or two more appearances out of Beutel yet. I'm not against using both Nedved and Langenberg tomorrow. I know they won't, but it's an idea.

Davitt is done. Can probably get one or two more appearances out of Beutel yet. I'm not against using both Nedved and Langenberg tomorrow. I know they won't, but it's an idea.
To have any realistic chance, Iowa is going to need a great outing from Nedved tomorrow. (And the bats to show up...)

Reactions: HawkeyeGenius
its amazing how you guys follow all these other teams that Iowa has played

the way I look at it? Just win series. And sweep the series against the Minnesotas of the world.

The RPI will then be what it is.

@KyleHuesmann has made this even simpler. To make the NCAA tournament, you not only need to win series, you need to finish in the top 3 of the B1G. If we finish 4th? Don't hold your breath, but hope for the best.

you do you.

I will just focus on 2 things: (1) Iowa winning as many of these 3 game series as possible; and (2) staying in the Top 3 of the B1G. Do that? And you are in the NCAA Tournament.

this is what I mean. once you hit B1G play, it's all about winning series and finishing in the top 3 in the standings.

Everything else will take care of itself.

I guarantee Heller is focused on Iowa and is not scoreboard watching. Those results are completely out of his control. What's in his control is winning game 1 today and hopefully winning this series.

Speaking of becoming Mr Pissy Poster; good grief.

First off, get your facts straight. I didn't claim anyone was stating Heller was scoreboard watching; I just said he isn't wasting his time scoreboard watching, unlike fans like you.

In addition, I am simply pointing out that our beat writer, @KyleHuesmann , has simplified all of this for us.

* If Iowa finishes in the top 3 in the B1G, they are in the NCAA Tournament.

* If Iowa finishes 4th (or worse, 5th)? Then hold your breath on Selection Day.

The KISS principle applies to so many things. Keep it simple, Aurora.

Good grief, so now you are the police on anyone having a different opinion ?

Keep it simple, Dodger. That's all I am saying.

* If Iowa finishes in the top 3 in the B1G we are in the NCAA Tournament.

* If Iowa finishes 4th or 5th in the B1G? Hold your breath on NCAA Tournament Selection Day.

As Al Davis famously said, just win, baby, and everything will take care of itself.

Where Iowa finishes in the conference won’t matter a bit? Seriously? Kyle Huesmann showed in his tweet that you are incorrect because winning games and getting into the top 3 or 4 in the B1G will not only get your RPI and your resume to where it needs to be but historically it will have you in the NCAA Tournament (top 3 finish) or knocking on the door to the NCAA Tournament (4th place finish) .

So, please don't tell us where Iowa finishes in the standings won't matter a bit.

Am I interested in Iowa's RPI? Yes.

Am I gonna spend time watching the results of all of Iowa's past and future opponents and try to figure out how that might impact Iowa's RPI? Nope. And you know why? RPI is live on Warren Nolan.com; it is what it is and his calculations are more up to date and accurate than anyone's on here.

Iowa just needs to focus on winning series. They need to ideally finish in the Top 3 in the B1G to make the NCAA Tournament; a top 4 finish might get them in.

Keep it Simple, Whatsup.

LOL. So, now you are only left with "reading is hard" comments. That tells us all we need to know about you.

Analyze all you want, but like I said, winning takes care of everything. It takes care of your finish in the B1G. It takes care of your RPI. And it takes care of your overall resume.

And speaking of how winning takes care of your RPI, just look at this series:

Entering Friday's game: #75 RPI
Entering Saturday's game: #63 RPI
Entering Sunday's game: #55 RPI

This is not the rocket science you make it out to be.

Keep it simple, Whatsup.
Am I a little bitter right now? Yes.

Am I a little petty? Probably.

Do I hate it that I was right all along and Iowa just didn’t have enough to post a better RPI number? Absolutely.

But damnit if I wasn’t spot on with my position the entire time. The RPI is king in college baseball. Iowa finished 2nd in conference with a .708 winning percentage, finished 3rd in the conference tourney, and 20-7 since this thread was started. NONE OF IT MATTERED. The B1G didn’t have any marquee OOC wins so winning in conference just wasn’t enough. Iowa finished 18 RPI spots behind Rutger, who finished 2nd and 2nd, and still got left out. Iowa would’ve needed a significantly higher RPI to even sniff a regional this season.

Am I a little bitter right now? Yes.

Am I a little petty? Probably.

Do I hate it that I was right all along and Iowa just didn’t have enough to post a better RPI number? Absolutely.

But damnit if I wasn’t spot on with my position the entire time. The RPI is king in college baseball. Iowa finished 2nd in conference with a .708 winning percentage, finished 3rd in the conference tourney, and 20-7 since this thread was started. NONE OF IT MATTERED. The B1G didn’t have any marquee OOC wins so winning in conference just wasn’t enough. Iowa finished 18 RPI spots behind Rutger, who finished 2nd and 2nd, and still got left out. Iowa would’ve needed a significantly higher RPI to even sniff a regional this season.
Exactly. Going 3-0 and losing the title game wouldn't have mattered. They'd have been left out.

Iowa got hosed....Rutgers got f'd
Yeah that’s crap. They won big 10. Played in big 10 tournament championship and that was their only loss while Maryland was out after 2 games. Not sure what more Rutgers could have done.

Yeah that’s crap. They won big 10. Played in big 10 tournament championship and that was their only loss while Maryland was out after 2 games. Not sure what more Rutgers could have done.
Played a tougher OOC. It was ranked 238. But even with that, they still should have been in.

did he go into detail why RU was left out?
Yes, he said the BIG was so bad there were only 2 slots - a Regional for Maryland and the winner of the BTT. That was it and that was all the BIG deserved.

Of course I'm making that up but that is how it appears. I haven't and won't go out to look at the RPI's of teams that got left out but it would seem that Heller is right when he says there is a bias against teams from the north and west.

Yes, he said the BIG was so bad there were only 2 slots - a Regional for Maryland and the winner of the BTT. That was it and that was all the BIG deserved.

Of course I'm making that up but that is how it appears. I haven't and won't go out to look at the RPI's of teams that got left out but it would seem that Heller is right when he says there is a bias against teams from the north and west.

think of all the time fans invest in their team. and then to get the royal screw job today? just freakin' brutal.

maybe we need to expand the tournament and have play in games.

Just brain storming with an idea:

48 teams initially get in.

To determine the final 16 teams: have 64 more teams participate in a 16 region, four team, double elimination (or single elimination!) format. The winner of each of these 16 regions advances to the NCAA Tournament, joining the original 48 teams as a #4 seed.

With this format, you start with 112 teams and you quickly get to the final 64 team field.

@KyleHuesmann ,what do you think? ;)

think of all the time fans invest in their team. and then to get the royal screw job today? just freakin' brutal.

maybe we need to expand the tournament and have play in games.

Just brain storming with an idea:

48 teams initially get in.

To determine the final 16 teams: have 64 more teams participate in a 16 region, four team, double elimination (or single elimination!) format. The winner of each of these 16 regions advances to the NCAA Tournament, joining the original 48 teams as a #4 seed.

With this format, you start with 112 teams and you quickly get to the final 64 team field.

@KyleHuesmann ,what do you think? ;)
That’s a lot of pitching and even deeper into the summer. I would rather have an NIT baseball tournament that takes 16 or 32 teams just outside the field.

i feel bad for all the seniors on Iowa & Rutgers

@MrsScrew must be really pissed
I posted in the lounge that I felt Rutgers had a weaker resume than Iowa besides RPI. They went 3-7 against the top five conference teams they did face. Their OOC schedule was like 239. They played like 26 quad 4 games, only one quad 1 win. All that said since RPI is the standard I figured they'd get in. I was wrong, apparently RPI matters until it doesn't.

I posted in the lounge that I felt Rutgers had a weaker resume than Iowa besides RPI. They went 3-7 against the top five conference teams they did face. Their OOC schedule was like 239. They played like 26 quad 4 games, only one quad 1 win. All that said since RPI is the standard I figured they'd get in. I was wrong, apparently RPI matters until it doesn't.
Rutger would have been better off losing a few more Q1 games

Does the B1G have a member on the selection committee? Sure seems like the B1G is getting treated like a mid-major in baseball. I also see that Stan Stolte's UNLV team didn't get in the tourney after winning the Mountain West regular season title (Stolte was coach of the year and they also had the Freshman of the year) but losing in the first two in their tourney. RPI of only 115.

Rutger would have been better off losing a few more Q1 games

Iowa, Rutgers, and many other teams all feel like they got the shaft. Teams getting the shaft is an annual tradition, it seems.

So, how should this selection process be fixed? Should the NCAA include more teams and then play the CWS a week later than normal?

Teams and fans invest so much into this, only to get screwed on Selection Monday.

Iowa, Rutgers, and many other teams all feel like they got the shaft. Teams getting the shaft is an annual tradition, it seems.

So, how should this selection process be fixed? Should the NCAA include more teams and then play the CWS a week later than normal?

Teams and fans invest so much into this, only to get screwed on Selection Monday.
All you can do is keep grinding away. The Iowa program is light years better with Rick Heller at the helm. With the two prior coaches there was zero interest for a lot of reasons. The fan support now is a big deal. The Big Ten can take some of the blame. For far too long the conference didn't care about baseball. Now the selection committee is an issue in itself. It seems to me like it's a good old boy club. The Big Ten needs representation on it.

Reactions: kkhawk
My crazy idea is for the Big Ten to withdraw from the NCAA in baseball and go with a wooden bat league and schedule games from mid April until the end of June. Make it like a professional minor league and made for TV. Have a conference tournament during the 4th of July weekend.

I know, it’s a crazy idea and many of you will shoot it down for a variety of reasons.

All you can do is keep grinding away. The Iowa program is light years better with Rick Heller at the helm. With the two prior coaches there was zero interest for a lot of reasons. The fan support now is a big deal. The Big Ten can take some of the blame. For far too long the conference didn't care about baseball. Now the selection committee is an issue in itself. It seems to me like it's a good old boy club. The Big Ten needs representation on it.
Yes Big 10 is definitely playing catch up when it comes to baseball. For decades, conference wasn't really even trying. They are now, but some ingrained habits don't change overnight. In the past decade, conference has had Indiana and Michigan make the CWS, and Michigan nearly win it. So there is progress. But much left to be done.

Northern schools have been lobbying for a later start date to the season and for CWS to be in July instead of June. That has gone nowhere as the southern schools have zero interest in helping out the northern schools. And I get the suggestions to break off and make a separate league for just the northern schools. It makes sense on some level, but all it will do is grow the talent disparity even to a greater level than what already exists. The top-level talent at the high school level is going to want to compete at the highest level. It's not much of a recruiting pitch to say "we'll compete at not the highest level."

i feel bad for all the seniors on Iowa & Rutgers

@MrsScrew must be really pissed

"pissed" doesn't come close. 45 wins. 2nd in the B1G conference, 2nd in the B1G tourney (with the championship game being R only loss....so much for double elimination tournament). I don't think anyone saw us not getting in.

Proud of the team though.

On another note, the B1G really needs to do better with scheduling their tourney games. Having teams play 3 games in 2 days, the Rutgers game starting at Midnight and finishing, with the mercy rule, at 3:30am is just craziness.

ADVERTISEMENT