ADVERTISEMENT

Rule change Iowa should love

Iowa-WildCat

Scout Team
Mar 13, 2023
Rule change #1: As someone who has spent most of his time on the defensive side of football there has always been a rule change I'd like to make. I have always wanted to reward the defense for a safety. I would like to see a safety worth 8 points. 1. it's pretty difficult to accomplish. 2. It would reward the "defensive" effort as opposed to getting 2 points and then relying on the offense to try and score. 3. Teams would become more aggressive when the opportunity presents itself and the result could be super exciting 100 yd plays if the defense guesses wrong and the offense guesses right. What say you?

Rule change #2: Field goals irritate me LOL they are too frequent. Make it harder. Put a crossbar on the top so the kicker must make it through the rectangle. This will lower the trajectory of the kick thereby making blocked field goals or missed field goals which will make me happy.

thoughts?

I wouldn't mind 50+ FGs being worth 4... that extra point (no pun intended) could be a difference maker, completely change strategies inside your opponents 50. I like the idea of making the safety more rewarding for the defense, someone mentioned making it a touchdown. I like that idea. If you've got a tactical punter like we do, he's even more valuable.

Rule change #1: As someone who has spent most of his time on the defensive side of football there has always been a rule change I'd like to make. I have always wanted to reward the defense for a safety. I would like to see a safety worth 8 points. 1. it's pretty difficult to accomplish. 2. It would reward the "defensive" effort as opposed to getting 2 points and then relying on the offense to try and score. 3. Teams would become more aggressive when the opportunity presents itself and the result could be super exciting 100 yd plays if the defense guesses wrong and the offense guesses right. What say you?

Rule change #2: Field goals irritate me LOL they are too frequent. Make it harder. Put a crossbar on the top so the kicker must make it through the rectangle. This will lower the trajectory of the kick thereby making blocked field goals or missed field goals which will make me happy.

thoughts?

As far as rule change #1, I think 8 points is entirely too much. First of all during a safety the defense never has possession of the ball in their opponents endzone to get the 8 points. the 8 points is the equivalent of a TD and a 2 pt conversion. Also the defense can get that TD if they force a fumble etc in and recover it in the endzone.

Second point, do you think the defense should get 8 pts if their punter happens to down a punt at the 1 yard line and on the next play the defense gets a tackle for loss of 1 yard for the safety? I do not think that is a huge accomplishment.

I would not mind seeing a safety be equal to a field goal at 3 points.

Field goals are fine as they are and no change in their score for a long one. Three points is half a TD which is ok to me. kickers are getting so good that the 50 yarder is common. and it seems kickers miss a lot of short Fgoals from sharper angles.

Reactions: MilleGinja
It’s already worth more than 2 points. You get 2 points, plus the opposing team has to kick off to you from their 20. My guess is, that is worth 3+ more points on average.

As it currently sits, it is probably a 5-6 point penalty.

I agree that field goals have become way too big a part of the game. I think the easy answer would be to start narrowing the goalposts. I was thinking 2 feet to start with, but that may not be enough. We need fewer field goals and more attempts at a touchdown.

Reactions: cmhawks99
OK, I've reconsidered. How about 6 points for a safety and you kick off. two field goals??? I tried to see if there was data for last season on how many safeties there were in all of college D1 football last year but couldn't find it.

It’s already worth more than 2 points. You get 2 points, plus the opposing team has to kick off to you from their 20. My guess is, that is worth 3+ more points on average.

Make it an option to either take the 2pts and have them kick to you OR you get the ball at their 20.

Just leave the safety at 2 points, but make the kick come from the line of scrimmage of the play the safety occurred. This would also slow down the intentional safeties.

Just leave the safety at 2 points, but make the kick come from the line of scrimmage of the play the safety occurred. This would also slow down the intentional safeties.
Slow down?

It’s not exactly an epidemic. A team probably averages doing it about once every two-three years.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
Nope-Movie-Poster.jpg

So if you are getting tackled for an 8 point safety you should just drop the ball and give the defense a six point TD to save the two guaranteed points? At least they'd still have to convert a PAT.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I'd go with six points on the safety with the other team getting a point after under the standard PAT rules-so it could become an 8 point play. Safeties are rare, hard and have a significant effect on the game strategy thereafter.

thoughts?
Austin Powers No GIF

I'm feeling better about the 6 points without receiving the kick off. It's worth gambling for which potentially could give up a big offensive play. It definitely changes the momentum of the game. The offense that just gave up a safety turns right around and goes against a fired up defense and crowd, especially away. Good chance you're going 3 and out which again rewards the defense.

2 points is bad but we know we can kick it deep and they still have to drive the field to really hurt us. We can nullify it with a field goal who cares.

I propose we make it so that when a safety occurs, the game is immediately over and that team wins. Irrespective of the score.

That should make for some exciting moments when a team is pinned deep on their own goal line.

Maybe just make it the first team to force a safety wins the national title?

Reactions: Birky

thoughts?
I would make it worth 3 pts. The defense is also already rewarded with the other team having to immedietly kick the ball back to their offense. Leave the FGs alone. One thing I would like to see come back are drop kicks. Why has that disappeared?

Slow down?

It’s not exactly an epidemic. A team probably averages doing it about once every two-three years.
I admit that slow down was not the best way to phrase it. But my point was instead of making a safety worth some ridiculous amount of points, have the ensuing kick come from the line of scrimmage of the previous play. If that was the 3 yard line then they kick from the 3.

I propose we make it so that when a safety occurs, the game is immediately over and that team wins. Irrespective of the score.

That should make for some exciting moments when a team is pinned deep on their own goal line.

Maybe just make it the first team to force a safety wins the national title?
Punt immediately would be the answer to that.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I admit that slow down was not the best way to phrase it. But my point was instead of making a safety worth some ridiculous amount of points, have the ensuing kick come from the line of scrimmage of the previous play. If that was the 3 yard line then they kick from the 3.
Fair.

My vote would be to do nothing with the safety. It seems fine, but that’s not fun to talk about.

There are a few stupid rules, and they have all been debated on here. One being a touchback for fumbling into the endzone.

Fumble and it goes out one inch from the pylon, you are almost guaranteed a TD on the next play. It goes one inch further and hits the pylon, the other team receives the ball, and gains 20 yards for literally doing nothing.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
The dumbest rule in football is the one that gives the ball to the other team when a fumble goes through the end zone. There is zero rationale for it. That's the one that should be changed before any other.

Edit: I just noticed I'm the 3rd guy that hates this rule.

LOL the others were just for fun and discussion but the endzone fumble really needs to go. So what is the rule change for fumbling out of the endzone? keep the ball and set it on the 1? where should the ball be placed? is there a penalty of sorts for the fumble? keep the ball loss of down? ball put on the 5? 10?

LOL the others were just for fun and discussion but the endzone fumble really needs to go. So what is the rule change for fumbling out of the endzone? keep the ball and set it on the 1? where should the ball be placed? is there a penalty of sorts for the fumble? keep the ball loss of down? ball put on the 5? 10?
Just place it at the point of the fumble.

Reactions: Birky
4 point safety, final answer. Offense comes back with fg, you're at 7. They get the td + xp, thats 11 points and erases a 10 point deficit.

Team giving up the safety is *potentially* properly punished, and still within a fg of taking the lead back. The 4 also takes the lead with. 3pt deficit, so don't give up a damn safety. Boom.

That's good. So instead of 6 and kickoff you get 4 and the ball so it could really hurt. Now we're thinking!

thoughts?
Brian would sure like 8 points for a safety.

I'd like Iowa to be awarded 3 points for putting together two consecutive first downs, and 2 more points for each additional first down in the same series.

The rule of course would be rescinded when Brian is removed as Iowa's Offensive Coordinator.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT